i think this is interesting

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 9:43:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.psychologytoday.com...

personally... i remember praying once at an extreme low point in my life... but i felt foolish the next day. for the most part i think i saw it in a C_N sort of way- "if there is a god who loves me that would be really great cause i feel awful and desperate and i need a miracle". i don't think i ever actively believed there was anything there.

its not really that shocking either if you think about it... desperate people wanting miracles.

what i don't like about this article is its overall glibness in essentially reducing everything to that.

so what do you all think? atheists, have you ever prayed? religious folk, do you find yourselves believing cause you're desperate (:P)? does this kind of speculation have any value at all?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:14:36 PM
At 4/5/2011 9:43:53 PM, belle wrote:

personally... i remember praying once at an extreme low point in my life... but i felt foolish the next day. for the most part i think i saw it in a C_N sort of way- "if there is a god who loves me that would be really great cause i feel awful and desperate and i need a miracle". i don't think i ever actively believed there was anything there.

its not really that shocking either if you think about it... desperate people wanting miracles.

what i don't like about this article is its overall glibness in essentially reducing everything to that.

so what do you all think? atheists, have you ever prayed? religious folk, do you find yourselves believing cause you're desperate (:P)? does this kind of speculation have any value at all?

If "Oh God, i hope he stops with this retarded nonsense" counts as prayer, then yes, i have.

Otherwise, prayer is pretty much uselss. Praying is doing nothing, but believeing you are doing something. In other words, you are tricking yourself into believing that you are doing something, when infact you are doing nothing.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:23:03 PM
atheists, have you ever prayed?

not since I was about 12/13.. Before then Every night before I went to bed.
though, not in regard to things which stressed me out.

Usually for the health of My family, and everyone else in the world.

every prayer went with me naming so and so, and so and so... and then saying everyone in the world.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:26:28 PM
my favorite part was about the "scholar of religion" dawkins. Anyways, we all have diifferent and a lot of the time conflicting propensities so to to reduce belief or disbelief down to simple factors like that has always seeked naive to me....i pray for a lot of reasons in any case.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:26:57 PM
If you catch an atheist praying at a sports event, I think it's save to say that the atheist is being facetious.

I don't agree that people who are well off are the ones who have the luxury of being atheists.

You can be a poor, crazy wandering homeless man and still be an atheist.

I've been there, yo.

I stopped praying even before my de-conversion. All it took was actually understanding what the lord's prayer meant.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:00:05 PM
I have prayed to Yahweh. I have prayed to Eris. I have prayed to Aqua-Buddha. I have prayed to a carton of milk. And I have prayed to myself. Yes, I have prayed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:09:59 PM
At 4/5/2011 11:00:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I have prayed to Yahweh. I have prayed to Eris. I have prayed to Aqua-Buddha. I have prayed to a carton of milk. And I have prayed to myself. Yes, I have prayed.

I'd probably pray, but it's too dangerous. One time I prayed that my problems would all go away, and my brain fell out.

It was a b!tch to put back in. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to put your brain back in when you don't have one. I spent like 5 hours trying to fit my brain through my ear.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:14:46 PM
I forget the name of the guy at the moment, but he found that (in a study of like, 40 countries or something) the more religious a country was, the less social programs they have.

Sometimes when you have nothing, all you have is God...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:15:49 PM
At 4/5/2011 10:14:36 PM, tkubok wrote:

Otherwise, prayer is pretty much uselss. Praying is doing nothing, but believeing you are doing something. In other words, you are tricking yourself into believing that you are doing something, when infact you are doing nothing.

Actually, a study found that prayer does something if you know you're being prayed for.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:18:23 PM
I think it is interesting that Cosmic's assertion that brain chemistry can be influenced by our thoughts could apply to prayers.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 11:59:55 PM
At 4/5/2011 11:18:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I think it is interesting that Cosmic's assertion that brain chemistry can be influenced by our thoughts could apply to prayers.

Definitely. Among other things, it can be an effective way to keep your mind calm when walking into a high stress environment.

The effects of prayer on brain chemistry are more apparent in pentecostal style churches. It can get straight crazy, where after prayer, everyone is laughing and giggling.

They refer to it as getting "drunk in the spirit".

In the past, I have had first hand subjective experiences of this.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:30:59 AM
When I was about 6, I challenged God to prove his existence to me by providing me with the Star Wars figure I really wanted at the time (think it was Wikkit, the little Ewok). Don't think that really counts as praying though.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:45:10 AM
I think that it's more complicated as you grow in your faith. When you are a child, or when you have a faith that is immature, God is more like Santa in the sky, but as your faith grows and matures it changes the nature of prayer a lot. Oddly enough, i have more difficulty in attempting a conscious contact with a God of my understanding, than when things are good. I seem to get in the way of my own prayer and meditation.

Much of my prayers are based in spiritual principles like gratitude, contrition and charity. My life is far better with daily prayer than without daily prayer, but the prayers need to be appropriate in what i am trying to accomplish. Prayers are not a wish list for me, but a better realization of who i am and where I'm at. Sometimes just knowing that I'm not God today is a good thing for me.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:51:38 AM

I blame the various Gods for crappy days and thank them when good things happen. Sometimes I speak to Allah, sometimes to Yahweh. Depends on my mood really. I haven't ever seriously prayed. It's more for my own amusement.

If there is a God, I'm in big trouble. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:55:17 AM

Mark 11:23
"Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.

Mark 9:24
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

"the English word doubt
derived from the Old French word doter
derived from the Latin word dubitare (doubt; deliberate; hesitate)
derived from the Latin word dubius (doubtful, dubious, uncertain)
derived from the Classical Latin word duo
derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *dwo-"

So doubt really means two:

Genesis 2:17
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die."
The Cross.. the Cross.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:58:16 AM
At 4/6/2011 4:51:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I blame the various Gods for crappy days and thank them when good things happen. Sometimes I speak to Allah, sometimes to Yahweh. Depends on my mood really. I haven't ever seriously prayed. It's more for my own amusement.

If there is a God, I'm in big trouble. :P

I doubt it.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:06:05 PM
At 4/5/2011 11:15:49 PM, nonentity wrote:

Actually, a study found that prayer does something if you know you're being prayed for.
Yes, and another study showed that people who were being prayed for, actually did worse than the people who were not being prayed for.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:09:05 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:06:05 PM, tkubok wrote:

Yes, and another study showed that people who were being prayed for, actually did worse than the people who were not being prayed for.

Do you happen to have any more information about that so I could see it?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:11:51 PM
At 4/6/2011 4:30:59 AM, feverish wrote:
I DEMAND TRIBUTE!

lol :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:12:51 PM
Personally, I don't really pray that much, but when I do, I pray to the Universe. The Universe is in control of everything, so it only makes sense to pray to the most powerful thing in the Universe, itself.

"Thus you should go about self-governed, mindful, governed by the cosmos, absorbed in concentration."
-- the Buddha
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:19:58 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:12:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I pray to the Universe.

there's no reason to think the universe understands you..

none at all.

it's almost like talking to tables and chairs... Pretty much the same thing.

The Universe is in control of everything, so it only makes sense to pray to the most powerful thing in the Universe, itself.

There's no reason to say "The universe is in control". Does a table control it being a table??? no.. it just is a table.

"control", and a subject's being "powerful/Able", implies consciousness, and implies a will.

Metaphysics:
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:20:11 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:09:05 PM, nonentity wrote:

http://www.scrappleface.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:25:17 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:19:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I pray to the Universe.

none at all.

Talking to individual parts of the universe.. Like Joe, or Jane, makes sense...

or addressing The People of The World might make sense..

but talking to "the Universe" is a little bit silly ;)

That said, when talking to People I often like to pretend as though "the universe" has a say in things.. That it Conpires to make things so... but mostly for fun :)

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:29:22 PM
I pray to the Universe.

"The Universe is the self."
-- the Buddha

none at all.

I see no resemblance or correlation between a table and the Universe.

The Universe is in control of everything, so it only makes sense to pray to the most powerful thing in the Universe, itself.

There's no reason to say "The universe is in control". Does a table control it being a table??? no.. it just is a table.

The laws of the Universe dictate everything in it. I suppose to say that it's "in control" is a bit of a misnomer, but the idea is the same.

"control", and a subject's being "powerful/Able", implies consciousness, and implies a will.

Bollox. A missile launcher is powerful, so by saying that, you think that implies the missile launched has a will?

The Universe indeed is powerful, but it has no will. It can destroy stars and planets, you probably have no chance of ever destroying the Universe, and is impervious to anything you may try to attack it with. The Universe is very powerful it would seem.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:36:42 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:20:11 PM, tkubok wrote:

lmao... My sarcasm detector sucks but if that's a joke it's pretty funny.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:39:38 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:36:42 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 4/6/2011 12:20:11 PM, tkubok wrote:

lmao... My sarcasm detector sucks but if that's a joke it's pretty funny.

It wasnt a joke, it was a real study.

http://www.gocreate.com...

And yeah, prayer was just as useless, and actually failed more in one group. So sorry.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:42:53 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:39:38 PM, tkubok wrote:

It wasnt a joke, it was a real study.

http://www.gocreate.com...

And yeah, prayer was just as useless, and actually failed more in one group. So sorry.

"The scientists also noted that their work was "sabotaged by religious zealots" secretly praying for study subjects who were supposed to receive no prayer."

"Dr. Benson said he would now seek $10 million in grants to explore whether fire can be called down from heaven to kindle a pile of wood. The control group's wood will be drenched in water to prevent combustion."

It looked like a joke... :/ Anyway, I'm heading out but when I come back I'll try to find the study I was talking about. It was in one of my Psych textbooks and I'm not sure if I sold it... later!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:43:30 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:29:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I pray to the Universe.

-- the Buddha

That's not a reason..

and, buddha's wrong..

and, even if he were right.. he exerts that the self doesn't really exist... so.. if the universe doesn't exist.. how's it powerful?

none at all.

The laws of the Universe dictate everything in it. I suppose to say that it's "in control" is a bit of a misnomer, but the idea is the same.

Bollox. A missile launcher is powerful, so by saying that, you think that implies the missile launched has a will?

The Universe indeed is powerful, but it has no will. It can destroy stars and planets,

and the chair can be a chair.

the universe IS the stars and planets and everything else... At all times.

it doesn't Destroy stars.. it encompasses them (and Being that it encompasses all other things too, including the things that act on those stars) it encompasses that star through every time in which it exists.

it doesn't destroy stars.. it exists through them In their formation and destruction.

you probably have no chance of ever destroying the Universe, and is impervious to anything you may try to attack it with. The Universe is very powerful it would seem.

lol

the way in which you used "powerful" was similar to "able"

you were saying you pray to it b/c it's most powerful.. Most able to grant what you're praying for.

the universe isn't able to do Anything but that which it does... there's really no reason to say it "does" anything.

The universe exists.. and it's existence entails Sh*t happening.

Metaphysics:
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 1:02:25 PM

People who pray out of urgency or out of wanting help when in danger of dying or losing something that means alot believe that a last possible resort of over coming a particular discomfort or danger is God. The atheists who do this come disorganised in their thinking since it isn't a norm. And in their norm they persist to believe that God does not exist, so what, is atheism a belief that is only believed when one is comfortable or happy? No, I don't think so. But there are those who believe in a god that makes them feel purposeful and useful which makes them happy, not happy directly. Atheists feel happy first and then they feel useful or purposeful.

Having said that, not all atheists are happy people, but they are more likely to become to believe in God or a god rather. To speak correctly on this, God is just an idea, it isn't a developed idea that can specifically change a circumstance in ones life, but it does in a general sense. With that, if one prays in need or in a wanting to a god and get what he or she wants then they will believe that the god they prayed to answered them in a positive way, but if atheism is true then chance or 'luck' or perhaps skill was to thank, not a god. So I have absolutely no idea why atheists pray when they are in troubling situations. Because the Christian God doesn't work at all like that, The Christian God works by having faith in Jesus Christ while then understanding that you and your sin is totally hated, but by God's mercy you are saved. In that a gap of hope is opened which is surrounded by justice and death.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 1:23:21 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:43:30 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/6/2011 12:29:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I pray to the Universe.

-- the Buddha

That's not a reason..

and, buddha's wrong..

Wow. What a great argument! This would surely have convinced Buddha that he was in error!

No, he would probably destroy you in debate.

and, even if he were right.. he exerts that the self doesn't really exist... so.. if the universe doesn't exist.. how's it powerful?

Come on matt! Seriously? He says that the EGO-SELF doesn't exist which applies to all beings as well as all objects because these are all isolated separate entities, or so we percieve. He challenges that saying there are no separate objects or beings, it's all part of the cosmic whole.

So when he says the "self" doesn't exist, the ONLY logical conclusion from that is the Universe is the true self.

none at all.

The Universe indeed is powerful, but it has no will. It can destroy stars and planets,

and the chair can be a chair.

the universe IS the stars and planets and everything else... At all times.

Indeed.

it doesn't Destroy stars.. it encompasses them (and Being that it encompasses all other things too, including the things that act on those stars) it encompasses that star through every time in which it exists.

it doesn't destroy stars.. it exists through them In their formation and destruction.

The Universe is in control of itself and everything in it like your body is in control of your organs.

you probably have no chance of ever destroying the Universe, and is impervious to anything you may try to attack it with. The Universe is very powerful it would seem.

lol

the way in which you used "powerful" was similar to "able"

you were saying you pray to it b/c it's most powerful.. Most able to grant what you're praying for.

the universe isn't able to do Anything but that which it does... there's really no reason to say it "does" anything.

I am an aspect of the Universe. Prayer is thought energy and thoughts influence what surrounds you. Your brain releases brain waves when you think.

The universe exists.. and it's existence entails Sh*t happening.

Congratulations on that stunning revelation! I would have never known!
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat