tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:16:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/7/2011 3:18:35 PM, reddj2 wrote:
Which is he?
And if he was alive now what religion would he follow ?
also alive physically not just "in spirit"

He was both, or neither, depending on who you ask. Jews will call him christian, christians will call him judeo-christian, a sort of hybrid bastard child of jews and christians, and everyone else will call him christian.

He would probably follow none of the religions and start a new one. Which is kinda ironic, i know, but still.

Then again, ask a christian, and they will probably say "He would LEAD my religion".
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:18:45 PM
Very interesting question! Thank you for this thread!

Immaculate conception notwithstanding, he was born of a Jewess. That at least makes him a Jew in the nationality sense.

Although not specifically so stated, He was likely instructed in Judiasm or by Jewish instructors.

Later on, both Jesus and his apostles were challenged by the Pharisees who claimed to be the legal authorities and keepers of the Jewish law.

Christ is not Jesus' surname, but rather his office. Both scripture and the writings of historian/philospher Flavius Josephus tell us that believers in Christ were first called "Christians" in Antioch.

Another scripture tells us that Jesus came not to destroy the law, but to fulfil the law. In Deuteronomy 29:29, and Isaiah 55:8; we learn that humans are not neccesarily meant to comprehend every decision or action made by God.

Some of Jesus' actions and teachings were suspect under the interpretation of the law by the Pharisees.

While Jesus did not practice absolute Judaism, and Christianity is in essence following the teachings of Jesus, He may have been a combination of the two, or neither. Scripture tells us to follow God. Jesus is also God the Son per 1 John 5:7.

Messianic Jews observe many Jewish traditions while accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Thank you for an excellent question! I would be very interested in the opinions of Godsands, DATCMOTO, and mongeese on this matter as well as any Jews on DDO.

Thanks, Thomas
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:24:28 PM
I think Jesus would say "I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Yaaaaguhguhguhguhguk"
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:29:58 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:18:45 PM, twsurber wrote:
Very interesting question! Thank you for this thread!

Immaculate conception notwithstanding, he was born of a Jewess. That at least makes him a Jew in the nationality sense.

Although not specifically so stated, He was likely instructed in Judiasm or by Jewish instructors.

Later on, both Jesus and his apostles were challenged by the Pharisees who claimed to be the legal authorities and keepers of the Jewish law.

Christ is not Jesus' surname, but rather his office. Both scripture and the writings of historian/philospher Flavius Josephus tell us that believers in Christ were first called "Christians" in Antioch.

Another scripture tells us that Jesus came not to destroy the law, but to fulfil the law. In Deuteronomy 29:29, and Isaiah 55:8; we learn that humans are not neccesarily meant to comprehend every decision or action made by God.

Some of Jesus' actions and teachings were suspect under the interpretation of the law by the Pharisees.

While Jesus did not practice absolute Judaism, and Christianity is in essence following the teachings of Jesus, He may have been a combination of the two, or neither. Scripture tells us to follow God. Jesus is also God the Son per 1 John 5:7.

Messianic Jews observe many Jewish traditions while accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Thank you for an excellent question! I would be very interested in the opinions of Godsands, DATCMOTO, and mongeese on this matter as well as any Jews on DDO.

Thanks, Thomas

See? Just as I said.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:41:14 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:38:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Jesus was a Jew and lived by Jewish law.

Jesus was actually born in Kenya, he is a Muslim.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:42:23 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:41:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Jesus was actually born in Kenya, he is a Muslim.

lmao.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:42:54 PM

You're right. Jesus never opened his lips once and spoke the gospel of Christ! He had no doctrines of his own, he was just a mere follower of the Rabbis and attended the synogogue weekly like any good church-goer!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:50:26 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:42:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You're right. Jesus never opened his lips once and spoke the gospel of Christ! He had no doctrines of his own, he was just a mere follower of the Rabbis and attended the synogogue weekly like any good church-goer!

lol, I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. If it is, I don't think Jesus ever intended to change any of the existing laws despite what Christians say.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:53:00 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:50:26 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

lol, I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. If it is, I don't think Jesus ever intended to change any of the existing laws despite what Christians say.

He did say that he presented a new law, love your neighbor. Is that not following Christianity and not Judaism?

oh and .. HI GEO!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:54:39 PM
The term "Christianity" derives from the very word "Christ." It is based upon the teachings of Christ, hence the name 'Christ'ianity. It is similar to how Buddhism is named, i.e., on the teachings of 'Buddha' hence the name 'Buddh'ism.' He followed God's law, therefore he was a theist who was pious. He followed Mosaic Law, although we are not sure what the entirety of Mosaic Law was back in his days. He worshiped one God, did not engage in forbidden sexual acts, did not eat pork, lie, and so on. Those were important parts of Mosaic Law. So it depends on how you look at it. Both "Jew" and "Christian" do not properly describe him, or they fit altogether.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 5:20:54 AM
Which is he?

He is VERY much alive now.. and physically too; He ate fish after He was resurrected..

Humanly speaking He is a Jew.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 8:57:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Which is he?

Jesus (Yeshua) is a Jew unlike any other Jew physically speaking.

He descended from the tribe of Judah and so he had the chance to be Melech Yisrael (King of Israel) (Heb. 7:14)

He celebrated Pesach (Passover) (Matt. 26:17)

He celebrated Shabbat as he went to the synagogue (Sabbath) (Luke 4:16)

He had a Bar mitzvah (Luke 2:43-44)

He most likely wore the Tallit (Deuteronomy 22: 12, Matthew 9:20-22)

He taught the Shema was one of the most important commands (Mark 12:28"30)

Jesus although rejected the Oral Torah brought us back to the original written Torah in his teachings.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:44:18 AM
At 7/24/2014 8:57:19 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Which is he?

Celestial Torah Christianity

He descended from the tribe of Judah and so he had the chance to be Melech Yisrael (King of Israel) (Heb. 7:14)

Jesus although rejected the Oral Torah brought us back to the original written Torah in his teachings.

Jesus Christ began the recovery of the lost Celestial Torah spiritual information. The Celestial Torah was supposed to be the heavenly basis for the earthly Torah but in the hands of priests and scribes of Judah their earthly Torah changed everything spiritual into tribal nationalistic narcissism and a completely erroneous understanding of the Job of the Jew. This is why God sent in the Christ advent to correct the great Jewish errors, ones still operating within Judaism to produce the Zionists without morality able to blow up Gentile Palestinian hospitals and kill Palestinian children without feeling any remorse. This lack of empathy for others is matched in Muhammadism which also is a political ideology masquerading as a religion. The Spirit of God moves through these Abrahamic religions but is in no way bound to the men who produced their visions and revelations for their times and circumstances. It doesn't make the visions and revelations any less spiritually compelling to know that they are time bound and will be replaced by future revelations as this is the way God "speaks" to humankind. Despite all the attempts of territorial control freak men to try to stop revelation from occurring.

Celestial Torah Christianity is BACK!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 10:14:17 AM
At 7/24/2014 9:44:18 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
At 7/24/2014 8:57:19 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Which is he?

Celestial Torah Christianity

Jesus Christ began the recovery of the lost Celestial Torah spiritual information.

Apparently He didn't know it, for neither He nor any of His disciples ever thought to mention "Celestial Torah". You'd just as well claim that Jesus began the search for Atlantis.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 2:22:46 PM
Which is he?

There's more to it than that.

Jesus lived and died as a Jew, as did John the Baptist. But before His ascension, He stated, "I will build my church." There also multiple references to "the kingdom is at hand". The record of the establishment of the church of Christ is in Acts 2. But to ask, "Would Jesus be a member of the church?" I'd say the answer is, "No." The church is the kingdom, and the kingdom is the saved, and the saved is the church. Jesus is not "saved". Jesus cannot be a member of the "bride of Christ".
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 2:28:53 PM

"And Jesus went about in all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of disease and all manner of sickness among the people." (Matt 4: 23)

It is correct that He never preached the FULL gospel in its broadest sense - because the gospel includes His own death, burial, and resurrection as its very foundation, and He gave His reason:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come."

There's the "all truth", which would be the equivalent of "the gospel in its fullness."
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 2:56:38 PM
Which is he?

First of all, Jesus is the eternal Son of God, the second person of the triune Godhead.

And at one point in history, he took on flesh. (While still being divine).

When he took on flesh, he was born as a Jew. That is, he was a physical descendant of Jacob, whose name was changed to "Israel". (And specifically, from the line of David, as was prophesied about the coming Messiah.)
And he was also a Jew in the sense that he observed all that was commanded under the Law of Moses. (And did it perfectly, without sin, unlike anyone else.)

So, as it pertains to the flesh, in his earthly ministry, the Lord Jesus Christ was a Jew.

But the Scriptures clearly declare that Christ himself is "the end of the Law".

That is, he is the terminating point and the fulfillment of the Law of Moses.

He completely fulfilled the Law of Moses, and God is no longer in covenant with any physical nations.

By Christ's one offering of himself, he fulfilled everything in the Law of Moses, and broke down the wall between Jews and Gentiles, so that whosoever believes on him, whether Jew or Gentile in the flesh, shall be saved from God's wrath against sin.

Furthermore, Jesus IS alive today. He was raised from the dead.
And he is seated on his throne in heaven, ruling over all things.

And he's coming back soon, to judge both the living and the dead. And those who have not believed on him will suffer for eternity in hell.

But all those who have God-given faith in Jesus Christ will be with him, in peace, for eternity.