Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Pride and Humility.

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 12:27:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis earlier today in the sunshine. It got me thinking as I was reading his chapter on the Great Sin, that being pride. I knew some of what he said in the chapter already and not everything I agreed on. It has raised my awareness however on this subject. And I would like to share my thoughts on pride and humility with you.

Being proud is the greatest of sins, as C.S. Lewis said in his book, pride is computational, a proud man is proud because he wants to think that he is better than another. If I was good looking, that wouldn't be enough, I would want to be better looking than other people, not just good looking. Now many of you will relate this to your reasons why such as evolution, that for example better looking people are more likely to pass on their DNA. Even so this isn't actually the case, girls from my experience tend to go for lesser good looking guys so that they will be more relied upon. By having an a reason for your pride is removing the fact that you are not to blame for your pride, that in it's self is prideful.

Pride is the centre problem with man, other sins like sexual and abusive sins are simply ways that pride can been used in action. Not only can pride work though sins like I just mentioned but pride works through it's self by one claiming to be humble. For example, maybe one may say, "I am humble." or one might just feel humble and by feeling so, one might say that they are humble. By feeling humble you know that you are trying to be humble, and by trying to be humble you are being proud. Let me clarify this for clearly with an analogy;

There is a group of people, they agree to meet up at a certain time. One of them shows up late, one from the group asks why he is late, the late member responds by saying he wanted to turn up late and that he didn't want to be on time.

By acting humble is humble, but by acting as if you are humble is prideful. If a father is proud of his son for getting straight A's at school, he isn't directly proud of his son, rather he is indirectly proud. When he says to his son, "I am really proud of you, well done." What he is really saying is, "I am such a good father, I have done well to have a son who gets straight A's at school.".

I hate feeling humble, because I think I am better than everyone else, if I admit that I am proud I say I am better than everyone else. But while at the same time I am not actually better than everyone else, I am being humble. If I am being prideful yet I say I am humble I am being prideful. If I am being humble and say that I am prideful then I am being humble. But intellectually, either way, humility and pride and both in the same jar. If you act prideful and say that you are humble you are lying, but if you act humble and say that you are prideful, you are also lying. You have to be humble and say that you are prideful, in that you aren't lying, but you are just being humble.

What are your thoughts here? I will add to this as people add their thought, I will speak on what Christianity has to say on this matter.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:28:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Much of my faith and happiness comes from my constant work in humility. You say that you don't like the feeling of being humble, because you feel better with an understanding that you are better than others. After you have a taste of true humility, you understand how foolish a prideful stance is. Most of my problems can be solved with humility. It does create a tricky balance with the earned value of dignity. We don't abandon our self-respect or dignity in an effort to live a more humble life, but rather we garner a natural and more true sense of both dignity and self-respect.

It is my firm belief that the greater humility that is attained by an individual the happier he will be. However, the word is greatly misunderstood unless you take a fearless and seaching look at who you are - and most are incapable of that.

The rudiments in humility can easily be found in the ease and appropriate use of being able to say:

I am wrong.
I am sorry (and really mean it).
I need help.

Godsands, if you are looking for some hardcore humility read: The Rule of Benedict, also The Spirituality of Imperfection.

It is with a healthy relationship with your imperfections that you can better attain true humility.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:29:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
An enlightened man is not prideful. An enlightened man is not humble. An enlightened man will look humble to some, and prideful to others, but really he is just being himself.

Get understanding.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:35:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 3:29:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
An enlightened man is not prideful. An enlightened man is not humble. An enlightened man will look humble to some, and prideful to others, but really he is just being himself.

Get understanding.

Oh enlightened one, please please help us understand better. Actually, of all people you should read the Spirituality of Imperfection.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:51:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 3:35:49 PM, innomen wrote:
At 4/10/2011 3:29:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
An enlightened man is not prideful. An enlightened man is not humble. An enlightened man will look humble to some, and prideful to others, but really he is just being himself.

Get understanding.

Oh enlightened one, please please help us understand better. Actually, of all people you should read the Spirituality of Imperfection.

I love it when people call me enlightened, it makes me laugh.

I also love it when people interpret what I say as arrogant, it makes me laugh even harder.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:56:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 3:51:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/10/2011 3:35:49 PM, innomen wrote:
At 4/10/2011 3:29:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
An enlightened man is not prideful. An enlightened man is not humble. An enlightened man will look humble to some, and prideful to others, but really he is just being himself.

Get understanding.

Oh enlightened one, please please help us understand better. Actually, of all people you should read the Spirituality of Imperfection.


I love it when people call me enlightened, it makes me laugh.

I also love it when people interpret what I say as arrogant, it makes me laugh even harder.

How could not the imperative "Get understanding." not be interpreted as arrogant?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 4:00:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding" (Proverbs 4:7)

Unless you advocate living in a perpetual state of willful ignorance, I don't see why you'd have a problem with that statement.

Of course, to some people, everything I say is interpreted as "I am better than you".

Ideas stand apart, they are creatures of their own. Instead of looking at the person speaking, look at what they are saying.

One of these days, someone on the forums who everyone considers to be especially stupid, ignorant, arrogant, etc. is going to post something very intelligent and insightful, and no one will be able to get passed who is saying the message.

In a way, you could say that is pride. >.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 4:10:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 4:00:29 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
"Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding" (Proverbs 4:7)


Unless you advocate living in a perpetual state of willful ignorance, I don't see why you'd have a problem with that statement.

Of course, to some people, everything I say is interpreted as "I am better than you".

Ideas stand apart, they are creatures of their own. Instead of looking at the person speaking, look at what they are saying.

One of these days, someone on the forums who everyone considers to be especially stupid, ignorant, arrogant, etc. is going to post something very intelligent and insightful, and no one will be able to get passed who is saying the message.

In a way, you could say that is pride. >.>

I agree with you, that is pride. Wisdom is one of the many virtues that spring from humility. Humility is a true understanding of who one is, or at least to the best of that person's ability (partial definition). It is definitionally impossible to be objective about oneself, but those who are fearless and truly searching are able to attain a wisdom deeper than those who solely cling to knowledge external to their own condition.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 4:12:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 4:10:34 PM, innomen wrote:
At 4/10/2011 4:00:29 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
"Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding" (Proverbs 4:7)


Unless you advocate living in a perpetual state of willful ignorance, I don't see why you'd have a problem with that statement.

Of course, to some people, everything I say is interpreted as "I am better than you".

Ideas stand apart, they are creatures of their own. Instead of looking at the person speaking, look at what they are saying.

One of these days, someone on the forums who everyone considers to be especially stupid, ignorant, arrogant, etc. is going to post something very intelligent and insightful, and no one will be able to get passed who is saying the message.

In a way, you could say that is pride. >.>

I agree with you, that is pride. Wisdom is one of the many virtues that spring from humility. Humility is a true understanding of who one is, or at least to the best of that person's ability (partial definition). It is definitionally impossible to be objective about oneself, but those who are fearless and truly searching are able to attain a wisdom deeper than those who solely cling to knowledge external to their own condition.

I ain't going to argue with that.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 4:38:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I hate feeling humble, because I think I am better than everyone else, if I admit that I am proud I say I am better than everyone else. But while at the same time I am not actually better than everyone else, I am being humble. If I am being prideful yet I say I am humble I am being prideful. If I am being humble and say that I am prideful then I am being humble. But intellectually, either way, humility and pride and both in the same jar. If you act prideful and say that you are humble you are lying, but if you act humble and say that you are prideful, you are also lying. You have to be humble and say that you are prideful, in that you aren't lying, but you are just being humble.

What are your thoughts here?:

My sympathies for you. I remember well the incredible exhaustion of never being good enough for God and tormenting yourself trying to appease a standard that could never be met, and the dissonance it caused.

I think after some honest introspection, you'll realize how miserable following God's unrealistic goals are making you.

I don't mean this to condescend you, I'm just expressing that I've been here before with that constant agony and intangible pang in the heart for not being able to measure up.

My earnest suggestion is to stop torturing yourself and let go of the things that are beyond your control. If you're not ready for that, read some Oswald Chambers, specifically, "My Utmost for His Highest."
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 4:44:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just remember that Jesus forgives you for being a sh!thead. Keep on trucking, and don't let your hypocrisy drag you down. Just stay aware of yourself, and you'll naturally get better.

Seriously, Christianity is supposed to be liberating. Don't be a slave to the law.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 5:16:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 4:50:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I will say that this whole business in telling other people they're going to hell, yeah that's not really being humble.:

Has quite the opposite effect of true evangelism! It also smacks of arrogance.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 5:24:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What a load of codswollop. Pride is not a sin. Arrogance, which I suppose could be derived from pride is annoying at best.

People should be proud! When I do something worthwhile, I'm proud of my achievement. This is more God nonsense to keep you downtrodden. Embrace Satan!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 6:14:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 5:16:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/10/2011 4:50:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I will say that this whole business in telling other people they're going to hell, yeah that's not really being humble.:

Has quite the opposite effect of true evangelism! It also smacks of arrogance.

I am miserable when I am far from God, and I feel quite the same when aiming to be all moral. Trusting in Jesus Christ is the best way and the only way.

Telling people that they are destined for hell if they do not repent is speaking the truth. Jesus Christ Himself spoke on hell more than anyone else in the entire Bible. He warned people of hell. So if He warns us of hell, we must also.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 6:47:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 4:50:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I will say that this whole business in telling other people they're going to hell, yeah that's not really being humble.

I assume you are talking to me, since no one else has mentioned hell.

Firstly, I never seriously said that anyone was going to hell. If I ever told someone that they were going to hell, it was in jest.

I have somewhat seriously said that people live in hell, and if you understand what I'm saying, you might realize that it makes sense, and is a completely valid way of interpreting scripture.

I never singled anyone out, but if you are miserable, you'll know I'm talking about you.

All I'm saying is that you are fully capable of escaping hell. You are in hell because you are not doing something right. No matter what excuses you may have concerning your environment, your biology, etc.. You can escape hell. You are in hell because you are sinning, you are screwing up. The only way to figure out how you are screwing up is to be more mindful, and aware of yourself. Take captive every thought. Gain understanding, examine your thought processes.

You are justified by faith, which is your belief.. If you know otherwise, but delude yourself due to some kind of fear, you are no longer justified. A lack of intellectual integrity is blasphemy against the holy spirit, and is the only unforgivable sin according to Jesus. The type of faith that many religionists advocate is in fact anti-faith. It is blasphemy in the guise of humility.

To find peace, it is imperative that you are honest with yourself. Pride in itself can be a form of self deceit, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with having pride. When it renders you nigh impossible to communicate with, it is a problem. When it begins to effect you negatively when it is broken, it is a problem. Healthy pride comes from knowing your place.

Whether people like to admit it or not, we are not all equal. We're all stupid, but we are not all equal. Some people are clearly better at things than other people. Trying to be humble is in itself a sign of pride. True humility comes from knowing your place. Truly humble people don't try to be humble.

Jesus is said to be humble, but some of the things that came out of his mouth would sound awfully prideful to some.

Pride and humility are both worth examining, if not just to realize how absurd it is to worry about these things. Gain understanding, and a good mind state will follow.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 2:54:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 6:47:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/10/2011 4:50:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I will say that this whole business in telling other people they're going to hell, yeah that's not really being humble.

I assume you are talking to me, since no one else has mentioned hell.:


Firstly, I never seriously said that anyone was going to hell. If I ever told someone that they were going to hell, it was in jest.

I have somewhat seriously said that people live in hell, and if you understand what I'm saying, you might realize that it makes sense, and is a completely valid way of interpreting scripture.

I never singled anyone out, but if you are miserable, you'll know I'm talking about you.

All I'm saying is that you are fully capable of escaping hell. You are in hell because you are not doing something right. No matter what excuses you may have concerning your environment, your biology, etc.. You can escape hell. You are in hell because you are sinning, you are screwing up. The only way to figure out how you are screwing up is to be more mindful, and aware of yourself. Take captive every thought. Gain understanding, examine your thought processes.

You are justified by faith, which is your belief.. If you know otherwise, but delude yourself due to some kind of fear, you are no longer justified. A lack of intellectual integrity is blasphemy against the holy spirit, and is the only unforgivable sin according to Jesus. The type of faith that many religionists advocate is in fact anti-faith. It is blasphemy in the guise of humility.

To find peace, it is imperative that you are honest with yourself. Pride in itself can be a form of self deceit, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with having pride. When it renders you nigh impossible to communicate with, it is a problem. When it begins to effect you negatively when it is broken, it is a problem. Healthy pride comes from knowing your place.

Whether people like to admit it or not, we are not all equal. We're all stupid, but we are not all equal. Some people are clearly better at things than other people. Trying to be humble is in itself a sign of pride. True humility comes from knowing your place. Truly humble people don't try to be humble.

Jesus is said to be humble, but some of the things that came out of his mouth would sound awfully prideful to some.


Pride and humility are both worth examining, if not just to realize how absurd it is to worry about these things. Gain understanding, and a good mind state will follow.

Actually it was directed toward Godsands resulting from past threads/posts.

Since our essential understanding and definition of humility is shared, and if Christ is the son of God, what comes from Him would sound far from humble to you or me, but for Him perfectly appropriate.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:03:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 6:14:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/10/2011 5:16:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/10/2011 4:50:48 PM, innomen wrote:
I will say that this whole business in telling other people they're going to hell, yeah that's not really being humble.:

Has quite the opposite effect of true evangelism! It also smacks of arrogance.

I am miserable when I am far from God, and I feel quite the same when aiming to be all moral. Trusting in Jesus Christ is the best way and the only way.

Telling people that they are destined for hell if they do not repent is speaking the truth. Jesus Christ Himself spoke on hell more than anyone else in the entire Bible. He warned people of hell. So if He warns us of hell, we must also.

It is arrogant beyond belief. You are to carry the message of Christ, and telling people they will go to hell was not the message he wanted to have spread; lest you play the role of Christ, and what can be more arrogant than playing the part of God? If you spend half as many posts spreading His commandment as you do casting them to hell you'd be understanding humility more.

It is impossible for you to attain humility if you are working from a premise that you, and only your tiny group of chosen few, are going to heaven and everyone else is going to hell. It is a fundamental flaw in both understanding, and the process of attaining humility. You must know that humility isn't just humbling yourself before God (that's easy for a believer), but to have the ability to humble yourself before your fellow man.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 3:13:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 5:24:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:
What a load of codswollop. Pride is not a sin. Arrogance, which I suppose could be derived from pride is annoying at best.

People should be proud! When I do something worthwhile, I'm proud of my achievement. This is more God nonsense to keep you downtrodden. Embrace Satan!

Not true at all. With true humility, understanding who you are, and why you do what you do. Knowing where you stand among men, and where they stand with you, in all that you develop a true sense of dignity and self-respect. Not a false bravado often resulting from a sense of insecurity, but a genuine knowledge of your worth and the worth of others.

It is with humility that you develop a set of values that allows you to understand the inherent value of other people, because you understand the inherent value of yourself. It doesn't mean you're a piece of sh!t but rather you are human with amazing abilities, and weaknesses that have the ability to cause great misery. It is a llife long process of constantly looking at who you are fearlessly - and i repeat fearlessly because with fear comes lies and self-delusion.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 4:54:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 12:27:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
I was reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis earlier today in the sunshine. It got me thinking as I was reading his chapter on the Great Sin, that being pride. I knew some of what he said in the chapter already and not everything I agreed on. It has raised my awareness however on this subject. And I would like to share my thoughts on pride and humility with you.

Being proud is the greatest of sins, as C.S. Lewis said in his book, pride is computational, a proud man is proud because he wants to think that he is better than another. If I was good looking, that wouldn't be enough, I would want to be better looking than other people, not just good looking. Now many of you will relate this to your reasons why such as evolution, that for example better looking people are more likely to pass on their DNA. Even so this isn't actually the case, girls from my experience tend to go for lesser good looking guys so that they will be more relied upon. By having an a reason for your pride is removing the fact that you are not to blame for your pride, that in it's self is prideful.

Pride is the centre problem with man, other sins like sexual and abusive sins are simply ways that pride can been used in action. Not only can pride work though sins like I just mentioned but pride works through it's self by one claiming to be humble. For example, maybe one may say, "I am humble." or one might just feel humble and by feeling so, one might say that they are humble. By feeling humble you know that you are trying to be humble, and by trying to be humble you are being proud. Let me clarify this for clearly with an analogy;

There is a group of people, they agree to meet up at a certain time. One of them shows up late, one from the group asks why he is late, the late member responds by saying he wanted to turn up late and that he didn't want to be on time.

By acting humble is humble, but by acting as if you are humble is prideful. If a father is proud of his son for getting straight A's at school, he isn't directly proud of his son, rather he is indirectly proud. When he says to his son, "I am really proud of you, well done." What he is really saying is, "I am such a good father, I have done well to have a son who gets straight A's at school.".

I hate feeling humble, because I think I am better than everyone else, if I admit that I am proud I say I am better than everyone else. But while at the same time I am not actually better than everyone else, I am being humble. If I am being prideful yet I say I am humble I am being prideful. If I am being humble and say that I am prideful then I am being humble. But intellectually, either way, humility and pride and both in the same jar. If you act prideful and say that you are humble you are lying, but if you act humble and say that you are prideful, you are also lying. You have to be humble and say that you are prideful, in that you aren't lying, but you are just being humble.

What are your thoughts here? I will add to this as people add their thought, I will speak on what Christianity has to say on this matter.

" Hallowed be your Name.. "

What does this mean, really?

His Name is His authority, just as our name or a businesses name is it's authority..
So, Holy is His authority; to know that every action and every blessing is from Him.. to know that it is ALL grace, ALL gift..

Now, pride is the exact opposite of this: to believe that you control your own destiny, are responsible for your own gifts etc..

It is not only the greatest sin but the original sin.. Adam and Eve believed that they could judge Gods Word independently of the judgment God had given them!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 6:20:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
When a young disciple of the Master Li Wang Ho, called Lu-Shun, complained bitterly about someone who was slandering him and being abusive to him in public, the Master gave the following answer and a short conversation ensued:

"One should be of humble demeanour in the presence of such a one," replied the Master; "for humility is a rare Wisdom, and only the few who have it understand it. Those who do not understand it are perplexed by it in a most agreeable manner; and the humble one goes away smiling."

"Ha, Ha, Ha," laughed the divertingly ignorant Lu-Shun most unbecomingly and with an entire absence of graceful mirth, his laughter sounding like the cracking of a reluctant nut, "humility indeed, and to an enemy!"

"Yes," replied the Sage, "He who remains humble under all circumstances governs not only himself, but also those of less wit; for the highest form of government is self-control."

Lu-Shun was as reckless as a dry twig that walks into the fire and argued again:

"Do you mean, then, that one should let an enemy do as he likes, and meet all his insults with undignified humility? This seems like cowardice to me; unworthy of a man of action."

"The truly wise achieve all by non-action," replied the Master.

"How can that be?" asked Lu-Shun, greatly astonished.

Then follows a set of subtle teachings most likely not suitable to most on DDO and would cause jeers of laughter, not unlike the frozen brained Lu-Shun, bless him.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:07:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 6:20:45 AM, Ogan wrote:
When a young disciple of the Master Li Wang Ho, called Lu-Shun, complained bitterly about someone who was slandering him and being abusive to him in public, the Master gave the following answer and a short conversation ensued:

"One should be of humble demeanour in the presence of such a one," replied the Master; "for humility is a rare Wisdom, and only the few who have it understand it. Those who do not understand it are perplexed by it in a most agreeable manner; and the humble one goes away smiling."

"Ha, Ha, Ha," laughed the divertingly ignorant Lu-Shun most unbecomingly and with an entire absence of graceful mirth, his laughter sounding like the cracking of a reluctant nut, "humility indeed, and to an enemy!"

"Yes," replied the Sage, "He who remains humble under all circumstances governs not only himself, but also those of less wit; for the highest form of government is self-control."

Lu-Shun was as reckless as a dry twig that walks into the fire and argued again:

"Do you mean, then, that one should let an enemy do as he likes, and meet all his insults with undignified humility? This seems like cowardice to me; unworthy of a man of action."

"The truly wise achieve all by non-action," replied the Master.

"How can that be?" asked Lu-Shun, greatly astonished.

Then follows a set of subtle teachings most likely not suitable to most on DDO and would cause jeers of laughter, not unlike the frozen brained Lu-Shun, bless him.

I see what you did there. lmao
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:40:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/11/2011 2:57:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
If pride is the greatest sin then God is the greatest sinner.

Don't you think? I will let you work out your fallacious statement.
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 6:18:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/10/2011 3:29:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
An enlightened man is not prideful. An enlightened man is not humble. An enlightened man will look humble to some, and prideful to others, but really he is just being himself.

Get understanding.

I'd have to agree with this. Sometimes the only way to get someone to listen is to transform into a massive douchebag, other times playing it simple and quiet is best.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?