Jump to topic:

Who said this:

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:25:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Being a lover of freedom, when the Nazid revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universitites to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers, whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. Only the Catholic Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing the truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel great affection and admiration because the Church alone had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised, I now praise unreservedly." - Time magazine, December 23rd, 1940 38-40.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:29:27 AM
If you can tell me who said this, you'll have the answer.

"The wording of the statement you have quoted is not my own. Shortly after Hitler came to power in Germany I had an oral conversation with a newspaper man about these matters. Since then my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition. I cannot in good conscience write down the statement you sent me as my own.

The matter is all the more embarrassing to me because I, like yourself, I am predominantly critical concerning the activities, and especially the political activities, through history of the official clergy. Thus, my former statement, even if reduced to my actual words (which I do not remember in detail) gives a wrong impression of my general attitude."
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 12:01:59 PM
At 4/11/2011 10:29:27 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

"The wording of the statement you have quoted is not my own. Shortly after Hitler came to power in Germany I had an oral conversation with a newspaper man about these matters. Since then my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition. I cannot in good conscience write down the statement you sent me as my own.

The matter is all the more embarrassing to me because I, like yourself, I am predominantly critical concerning the activities, and especially the political activities, through history of the official clergy. Thus, my former statement, even if reduced to my actual words (which I do not remember in detail) gives a wrong impression of my general attitude."

Pious XII?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 1:04:11 PM
At 4/11/2011 12:01:59 PM, innomen wrote:

Pious XII?

Albert Einstein, something like 4 days after the original "quote."

Albert Einstein, the human side is a good book to read.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 1:33:35 PM
At 4/11/2011 1:04:11 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/11/2011 12:01:59 PM, innomen wrote:

Pious XII?

Albert Einstein, something like 4 days after the original "quote."

Albert Einstein, the human side is a good book to read.

So is The Myth of Hitler's Pope.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 5:21:42 PM
It's funny. I recognized the "quote" after reading the first line. I usually can't do this but there happens to be an insideous stinch associated with this one. Of course it's a misattribution: http://en.wikiquote.org...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 6:22:00 PM
At 4/11/2011 5:21:42 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It's funny. I recognized the "quote" after reading the first line. I usually can't do this but there happens to be an insideous stinch associated with this one. Of course it's a misattribution: http://en.wikiquote.org...

It's more of an exageration. He says that the "quote" is blown out of proportion (as if journalists don't do that, lol) by saying, "The wording of the statement you have quoted is not my own. Shortly after Hitler came to power in Germany I had an oral conversation with a newspaper man about these matters. Since then my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition. I cannot in good conscience write down the statement you sent me as my own," but he later says, "It is true that I made a statement which corresponds approximately with the text you quoted."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 4:50:09 AM
At 4/11/2011 10:25:43 AM, innomen wrote:
"Being a lover of freedom, when the Nazid revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universitites to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers, whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. Only the Catholic Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing the truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel great affection and admiration because the Church alone had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised, I now praise unreservedly." - Time magazine, December 23rd, 1940 38-40.

Who cares what Einstein or any other 'genius' says (or didn't say) about the Church? are we to be judged by MEN?
The Cross.. the Cross.