Jump to topic:

cistianity the rligion of peace.

truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 11:45:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
how does one reconcile cristianities claim of peace with: 1) the crusades and 2) the inquisition?
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 9:51:58 AM
Read the sermon on the mount. Matthew 5, 6, and 7, and tell me if Christians are doing it right.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 10:32:27 AM
Christians dotn like when you bring those two little unpleasentries into the light.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 11:39:30 AM
At 4/12/2011 11:45:38 PM, truthseeker613 wrote:
how does one reconcile cristianities claim of peace with: 1) the crusades and 2) the inquisition?

They don't as there isn't a conflict.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 2:42:58 PM
At 4/13/2011 10:53:53 AM, innomen wrote:
Teachings of Christ =/= Behavior of Christians.

What about the behavior of Jesus?

He was a "drunkard and glutton" (props for that!),
he possessed innocent pigs and led them off a cliff to their death,
condemned by the people for ruining their livestock,
went berserk in a synogogue acting like a mad man,
said to sell your cloak and buy a sword,
he came to split families by those who believe and those who don't,
he asks you to love your family LESS than him or face eternal damnation.

So this is who you think is a good example?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:05:48 PM
At 4/13/2011 10:14:48 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You're like the banker of Christianity...

This is my favorite post since I joined DDO.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:07:25 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:05:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:

This is my favorite post since I joined DDO.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:26:12 PM
At 4/13/2011 2:42:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's what you take away as the teachings of Christ?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:36:28 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:26:12 PM, innomen wrote:

To get back to your question, the Fat Buddha ("Laughing Buddha") has been an image exclusive to Chinese Buddhism. It has come to represent good luck and wealth, which reconciles amicably with the Chinese merchantship. As for the actual, historical Fat Buddha.. we don't know if he did exist. He's as far back as a legend. I could be wrong though, about the legend part; I'm not an expert in Chinese Buddhism. You have to go dig history.

The Buddha--Siddhartha Gautama--has taught, and lived, a life of moderation so it is insensible for people from any culture to portray him as having a fat, gluttonous belly.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:36:58 PM

I somehow think that every atrocity committed under ANY name is mainly due to personal reasons of those committing it. The reasons given for the atrocities is just whatever seems to agree with their thoughts to commit them. Any half-right, misquoted, miscontextualized reason would do, as long as you have enough people you can convince that you are right and they should follow you.

Name me one atrocity, and I'll name you one hypocrite.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:46:51 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:36:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

To get back to your question, the Fat Buddha ("Laughing Buddha") has been an image exclusive to Chinese Buddhism. It has come to represent good luck and wealth, which reconciles amicably with the Chinese merchantship. As for the actual, historical Fat Buddha.. we don't know if he did exist. He's as far back as a legend. I could be wrong though, about the legend part; I'm not an expert in Chinese Buddhism. You have to go dig history.

The Buddha--Siddhartha Gautama--has taught, and lived, a life of moderation so it is insensible for people from any culture to portray him as having a fat, gluttonous belly.

I believe the fat/laughing Buddha should be banished from Buddhism altogether. He is not THE Buddha he has taken the forefront of the image of Buddhism which is as drastic and tragic if Santa Claus were seen as the frontman of Christianity!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:53:36 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:36:58 PM, Indophile wrote:

I somehow think that every atrocity committed under ANY name is mainly due to personal reasons of those committing it. The reasons given for the atrocities is just whatever seems to agree with their thoughts to commit them. Any half-right, misquoted, miscontextualized reason would do, as long as you have enough people you can convince that you are right and they should follow you.

Name me one atrocity and i'll name you several human failings. People commit the atrocities out of their human condition.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:54:42 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:46:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/13/2011 3:36:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I believe the fat/laughing Buddha should be banished from Buddhism altogether. He is not THE Buddha he has taken the forefront of the image of Buddhism which is as drastic and tragic if Santa Claus were seen as the frontman of Christianity!

No religion is safe from stereotypical images/perceptions that the serious follower has to forever defend it from :)

This could so easily be Mirza saying: The bearded/turbaned Arab guy (or the fully veiled female figure) should be banished from Islam altogether!
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:55:56 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:53:36 PM, innomen wrote:

Name me one atrocity and i'll name you several human failings. People commit the atrocities out of their human condition.

Isn't that what I said? Although when you say it like that, it sounds as if the people committing those atrocities are not responsible for it. It's better if you say they do it out of their own personal reasons.
And it will be true.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:57:21 PM

That is nothing, you should see what he takes away from the current social/political affairs.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:06:06 PM

Yes, the argument against religon though is that it can cause sane people to do insane things, this is the Dawkins/Hitchens argument. It is extremely naive of course and is the academic equivalent of saying "neener neener neener". Anything which creates or causes desire can cause sane people to do insane things.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:10:45 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:06:06 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

Yes, the argument against religon though is that it can cause sane people to do insane things, this is the Dawkins/Hitchens argument. It is extremely naive of course and is the academic equivalent of saying "neener neener neener". Anything which creates or causes desire can cause sane people to do insane things.

religion though, unlike all those other things, also brings all those lunatics together.. it creates armies of lunatics.. what else does this? and the sh1t they do is generally a whole lot crazier than what anyone else does too..
signature
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:13:44 PM

No, I said that's his behavior, not teachings.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:20:00 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:10:45 PM, badger wrote:

religion though, unlike all those other things, also brings all those lunatics together.. it creates armies of lunatics.. what else does this?

A desire for power, money, influence, sex, drugs, etc. . Do you know how many young women are crucified every year in the underground sex traffic - approximately 3/4 of a million every year - half of which are minors. Do you really think is is not severely insane to kidnap and rape repeatedly almost a million young women (only 20% are male), most of which are under age - every single year.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:21:34 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:13:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No, I said that's his behavior, not teachings.

Christianity is based on the teachings of Christ, and Christ as your savior. We don't act as the Son of God, but follow his teachings (in theory). That whole, "what would Jesus do" thing is kind of ridiculous when he's turning water into wine and walking on water, but rather what would he have me do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:24:54 PM

Fact: The Bible consists of twice as many cruel and violent verses and commands to do violence than the Quran.

Go to SkepticsAnnotatedBible.com or EvilBible.com to see proof of this.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:28:39 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:24:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Fact: The Bible consists of twice as many cruel and violent verses and commands to do violence than the Quran.

wow, those sound like totally objective, non-bais websites.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:29:48 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:20:00 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

religion though, unlike all those other things, also brings all those lunatics together.. it creates armies of lunatics.. what else does this?

A desire for power, money, influence, sex, drugs, etc. . Do you know how many young women are crucified every year in the underground sex traffic - approximately 3/4 of a million every year - half of which are minors. Do you really think is is not severely insane to kidnap and rape repeatedly almost a million young women (only 20% are male), most of which are under age - every single year.

yes those people are twisted fvcks.. but i still don't see how it's naive.. you're saying that the argument against religion is naive cos other things have pretty much the same effect.. are you saying that all those poor women being crucified should just be ignored cos it's happening because of desire and desire makes people crazy?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:31:19 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:29:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 4/13/2011 4:20:00 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

yes those people are twisted fvcks.. but i still don't see how it's naive.. you're saying that the argument against religion is naive cos other things have pretty much the same effect.. are you saying that all those poor women being crucified should just be ignored cos it's happening because of desire and desire makes people crazy?

that we shouldn't try to rectify what's obviosly fvcked up in humanity?
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:36:59 PM
At 4/13/2011 4:24:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Geo, you know how i feel about the bible. One of the many reasons why i'm a bad Christian.
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:47:33 PM
is that suposed to be an ans. if so please explain.

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 4:49:53 PM
At 4/13/2011 11:39:30 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

They don't as there isn't a conflict.

please clarify. Are you saying that the crusades and inquisition were not violent?