Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

How do Christians interpret these verses?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 3:03:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
And when He(Jesus) had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained".

John 20: 22-23
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 3:06:38 AM
It means that Pentecost is confusing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 3:09:03 AM
Also, Jesus liked to get uncomfortably close to people when he talked.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 3:10:23 AM
At 4/15/2011 3:09:03 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Also, Jesus liked to get uncomfortably close to people when he talked.

rofl
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 11:44:37 AM
At 4/15/2011 3:03:45 AM, FREEDO wrote:
And when He(Jesus) had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained".

Does it need to be interpreted? Looks pretty straight forward to me. Look at the verses in full context.

21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

The Father sent Jesus, and now Jesus is sending them. Go back even further in verses 19 and twenty you will see it was with the disciples alone locked in a room.

22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone's sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Breathing on someone in this fashion had long been recognized as passing the Holy Spirit to another person. Ever seen a Catholic Baptism? They have been continuing this Tradition for thousands of years.

Jesus gave the disciples His authority as the Father had given it to Him. It was big deal to understand that man had the authority to forgive sins. Almost as big as it is now.

If the disciples forgave a sin it would be forgiven. They were given the Authority to do so.

Clear as mud?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 12:39:48 PM

The pharasee's would get onto jesus about 'who are you to forgive peoples sins!' claiming only God has that authority.

Cause jesus is God, he actually does have the athority to forgive sins for that reason.

Here in this passages he athorizes peter and the other disciples to forgive others sins on his behalf through the power of the holy spirit. Pretty awsome I know.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 12:43:30 PM
At 4/15/2011 12:39:48 PM, Marauder wrote:

The pharasee's would get onto jesus about 'who are you to forgive peoples sins!' claiming only God has that authority.

Cause jesus is God, he actually does have the athority to forgive sins for that reason.

Here in this passages he athorizes peter and the other disciples to forgive others sins on his behalf through the power of the holy spirit. Pretty awsome I know.

are you afraid that if we christians do not forgive you of your sins they shall be 'retained' FREEDO? Fear not, on behalf of my people I say 'you are forgiven'. Rejoice and know that Christ died for you sins, by his blood you can be made white as snow.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 5:06:03 PM
At 4/15/2011 11:44:37 AM, jharry wrote:

Does it need to be interpreted? Looks pretty straight forward to me. Look at the verses in full context.

21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

The Father sent Jesus, and now Jesus is sending them. Go back even further in verses 19 and twenty you will see it was with the disciples alone locked in a room.

22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone's sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Breathing on someone in this fashion had long been recognized as passing the Holy Spirit to another person. Ever seen a Catholic Baptism? They have been continuing this Tradition for thousands of years.

Jesus gave the disciples His authority as the Father had given it to Him. It was big deal to understand that man had the authority to forgive sins. Almost as big as it is now.

If the disciples forgave a sin it would be forgiven. They were given the Authority to do so.

Clear as mud?

I would think so.

Most Christians have never heard the verse or been preached this doctrine.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 5:06:55 PM
At 4/15/2011 12:43:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/15/2011 12:39:48 PM, Marauder wrote:

are you afraid that if we christians do not forgive you of your sins they shall be 'retained' FREEDO? Fear not, on behalf of my people I say 'you are forgiven'. Rejoice and know that Christ died for you sins, by his blood you can be made white as snow.

Sweet.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 7:35:53 PM
At 4/15/2011 5:06:03 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/15/2011 11:44:37 AM, jharry wrote:

Clear as mud?

I would think so.

Most Christians have never heard the verse or been preached this doctrine.

It can be a difficult verse(s) for many denominations in Christanity. Growing up Lutheran I never heard this verse mentioned. I heard lots about St. Paul,Romans and Martin Luther but never this or many others. It wasn't until I began searching that I found these, they were a burden for a while. That's when I found the road to Rome. Free at last.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 9:00:26 PM
At 4/15/2011 5:07:24 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Question:

Does/can this imply Universalism?

no, it's on the athority of the disciples to declare forgiveness through the power of the spirit, not 'all people are enivetably going to saved.

not that I'm against a Univirsalist teaching on Hell totally, but I dont get that teaching out of this passage nor can I see how I could.

A Scout is Obedient.