Jump to topic:

obama trying to act christian

banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:40:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Rush limbuagh placed a image of President Obama in bunny ears on his website today, a take-off on the movie, "There's Something About Mary." As Obama led the annual Easter prayer breakfast in Washington yesterday, the president said, "I wanted to host this breakfast for a simple reason. Because, as busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season we are reminded that there's something about the Resurrection, something about the Resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ, that puts everything else in perspective." "I'm speechless, really am speechless," Limbaugh said, as he jokingly referred to Obama as "the messiah." "It is the seminal moment of Christianity.""It's risky whenever you start reacting to other people's expression of their religious beliefs. It's dangerous territory to wade into, but this still strikes me as strange phraseology." He continued: "There's just something about the Resurrection that puts everything in perspective. I don't know what that would be. I mean usually that's how they title movies, you know, 'There's Something About Mary.' 'There's something about Snerdley.' But you just don't hear there's something about the Resurrection. What about the Resurrection? What is it, sir, about the Resurrection that puts everything else in perspective?" Limbaugh posted on his website an image of Obama wearing bunny ears, with a mocking movie title, "There's Something About Barry." "I've just never heard it discussed this way," he said. "When he discusses the call to prayer in the Muslim world as being one of the sweetest sounds in the world, I mean that's an eloquent way to describe the Muslim call to prayer." Since Obama's rise to power, the president has had to fight against the belief of many Americans who have doubted his claim to be a Christian.
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:43:50 AM
He's clearly anti-Christian, probably a Deist, Agnostic, or Atheist. See here:
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 5:25:10 AM
@Geo

Nothing in that speech implies Obama is not a Christian. At most, it's a speech arguing against Christian fundamentalism.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:12:01 AM
At 4/21/2011 3:43:50 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I don't know what he is.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:24:30 AM
no reason to care what he is..! but i would like he should not care what i am niether..!!

At 4/21/2011 11:12:01 AM, Denote wrote:

I don't know what he is.

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:40:43 AM
It sure does. The fact that so many people believe in that sort of thing certainly DOES put a lot into perspective.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 11:40:53 AM
At 4/21/2011 11:12:01 AM, Denote wrote:

I don't know what he is.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:28:42 PM
At 4/21/2011 5:25:10 AM, Kinesis wrote:
@Geo

Nothing in that speech implies Obama is not a Christian. At most, it's a speech arguing against Christian fundamentalism.

Wow. It couldn't be any more clear! He mocked the Bible itself, NOT fundamentalists! He was clearly against the teachigs of the Bible, what Christian would ever trash the Bible like that?! He seriously sounded like Hitchens up there.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:32:09 PM
It isn't as lucid as you think, Geo.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:41:38 PM
At 4/21/2011 2:28:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@Geo

Wow. It couldn't be any more clear! He mocked the Bible itself, NOT fundamentalists! He was clearly against the teachigs of the Bible, what Christian would ever trash the Bible like that?! He seriously sounded like Hitchens up there.

Did you watch the video I linked?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:56:00 PM
At 4/21/2011 2:41:38 PM, Denote wrote:
@Geo

Did you watch the video I linked?

No, but I have seen videos of him declaring himself Christian, however it's obvious is just appealing to voters. The video I posted was before he was campaigning and had mass media coverage and is likely more honest than during his years after be began campaigning.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:06:23 PM
He says he's Christian. I'll take it at face value; I don't see any reason to doubt him and the video doesn't change my mind on that.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:07:53 PM
The book that was written in 2006 by Obama, "The Audacity of Hope" makes it pretty clear that Obama identifies with the Christian faith.

Believe it if you want or not, but this sort of thing is stupid to argue about, because it is unknowable. At the same time, "Christian" is a completely meaningless label.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:25:26 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:06:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
He says he's Christian. I'll take it at face value; I don't see any reason to doubt him

Yes, because politicians are so truthful! Especially when appealing to voters! Always the straight and hard truth!

and the video doesn't change my mind on that.

C'mon. Even Lane Craig who isn't a fundamentalist defends those passages. In fact, every Christian I've ever seen tries to defend the atrocities of the Bible!

What Obama is saying is clearly anti-Bible! What Christian is anti-Bible (besides innomen)?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:31:22 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:25:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
C'mon. Even Lane Craig who isn't a fundamentalist defends those passages. In fact, every Christian I've ever seen tries to defend the atrocities of the Bible!

That's because Lane Craig is a buffoon, and is overrated. He's a complete idiot, and I pity him, because anyone who has a certain amount of knowledge when it comes to theology and biblical matters is going to face a considerable amount of cognitive dissonance if they don't eventually decide to keep it real.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:38:12 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:31:22 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

That's because Lane Craig is a buffoon, and is overrated. He's a complete idiot, and I pity him, because anyone who has a certain amount of knowledge when it comes to theology and biblical matters is going to face a considerable amount of cognitive dissonance if they don't eventually decide to keep it real.

Uh yeah, how many degrees in philosophy does he have? Oh that's right, a lot. Plus he's a Professor of Philosophy and has a PhD.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:42:41 PM
every Christian I've ever seen tries to defend the atrocities of the Bible!

PCP doesn't try to defend them.. he "interprets" the bad parts out.

I thought you would've known that o.O
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:51:49 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:42:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
every Christian I've ever seen tries to defend the atrocities of the Bible!

PCP doesn't try to defend them.. he "interprets" the bad parts out.

I thought you would've known that o.O

That's what I mean by defend. They either say the atrocities were justified or that they are part of Jewish law or something like that.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:54:30 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:38:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Uh yeah, how many degrees in philosophy does he have? Oh that's right, a lot. Plus he's a Professor of Philosophy and has a PhD.

Wow, he has a piece of paper that says he knows sh!t from a degree factory.

Yeah, and so does Gary Habermas, and if you don't think he's a buffoon, you're a complete dipsh!t.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:57:06 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:51:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
That's what I mean by defend. They either say the atrocities were justified or that they are part of Jewish law or something like that.

pooka does neither..

At best he says the things straight up didn't happen and were exaggerated allegories to teach moral lessons..
at worst he seems to just dismiss portions of the bible from having any real significance/legitimacy at all.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:59:13 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:57:06 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/21/2011 3:51:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

pooka does neither..

well, I have heard him talk of Two separate Covenants..
(a Change in "objective" morality you might say o.O)

so I suppose he Sometimes chooses the latter of your options.

Metaphysics:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:00:40 PM
At 4/21/2011 3:54:30 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Not just any degree though, it's a philosophy degree. Normally I don't care about degrees, but if you have a degree in philosophy, I know that you are probably very philosophically adept and consequently quite intelligent. I know this first hand because I have taken a large quantity of philosophy courses and have learned much valuable knowledge.

Yeah, and so does Gary Habermas, and if you don't think he's a buffoon, you're a complete dipsh!t.

I don't know who that is. Does he have a philosophy degree?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:02:31 PM
Wow. It couldn't be any more clear! He mocked the Bible itself, NOT fundamentalists! He was clearly against the teachigs of the Bible, what Christian would ever trash the Bible like that?!

He was arguing against the establishment of a Christian state and the use of the bible to justify policy; plenty of Christians hold the same position. And I don't think it was at all clear that he was 'mocking' the bible - he was merely arguing that much of it isn't relevant in a modern context.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:03:19 PM
At 4/21/2011 4:00:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Not just any degree though, it's a philosophy degree. Normally I don't care about degrees, but if you have a degree in philosophy, I know that you are probably very philosophically adept and consequently quite intelligent. I know this first hand because I have taken a large quantity of philosophy courses and have learned much valuable knowledge.

That doesn't matter. Saying "he has a degree so he must be really really smart" is still a fallacy. Appeal to Authority (where the degree is the authority).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:06:05 PM
At 4/21/2011 4:03:19 PM, OreEle wrote:
Saying "he has a degree so he must be really really smart" is still a fallacy.

Not if there is a connection between being smart and being able to obtain a degree.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:08:19 PM

He has a PhD in the history and philosophy of religion.

He was the primary source of "Bible Defender", who I debated with on the historicity of Jesus' resurrection.

I've read his stuff, and he's an idiot.

Having a degree in anything doesn't necessarily mean that you have a good understanding of what it is you are talking about.

Even mentally incompetent mind slugs can do the work necessary to get a PHD.. Especially if their primary intent is to better defend a belief that they held while going for the degree.

I'm not saying it is worthless, as there are doctors who ARE competent, and DO know what they are talking about, but a lot of these guys have their knowledge built on fundamentally flawed assumptions.

You can get a PHD and still be lacking in the intellectual integrity department.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:08:20 PM
At 4/21/2011 4:06:05 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Saying "he has a degree so he must be really really smart" is still a fallacy.

Not if there is a direct connection between being smart and being able to obtain a degree.

fixed.

But I suppose you are right. The fallacy would be "he has a degree, therefore he is right."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:11:27 PM
At 4/21/2011 4:08:20 PM, OreEle wrote:
The fallacy would be "he has a degree, therefore he is right."

No one has argued that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:16:26 PM

That doesn't matter. Saying "he has a degree so he must be really really smart" is still a fallacy. Appeal to Authority (where the degree is the authority).

First of all, not all Appeals to Authorty are fallacious. Secondly, That's not Appeal to Authority. Appeal to Authority fallacy is when you say this expert/smart person says God exists, therefore God exists.

A valid Appeal to Authority is when you invoke the expert on the relevant topic at hand. For example, if I said, "Richard Dawkins says the human genome is closely related to that of a primate, therefore this conclusion holds weight."

And lastly, it requires intelligence to obtain such a difficult degree especially in such a subject that is extremely demanding of the intellect. Given this fact, how is it fallacious to claim Lane Craig is intelligent.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat