Jump to topic:

Got kicked out of my bible study.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:51:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So what did I do to have my good friends do that to me? Did I start yelling profanities and cursing The Lord? Did I make a move on one of the girls? Was I possessed by Satan, levitate in the air and throw up on everyone?

No, it turns out they just didn't like having a non-Christian there(I had announced that I wasn't last year). Even a non-Christian who never said a word about his own beliefs and simply participated in the study and happens to know the bible best out of everyone there.

In one of the replies to the message that this was revealed to me, I stepped outside of my always polite demeanor in some words that are bound to bring a blow, once read:

I can understand it, Levi, but--And I'm just being straight with you--there's not much I can find to respect in it.
You still don't get it do you? Damn, I have made it so easy. It's incredible.
I have to know, hasn't it once ever occurred to you that none of you, while knowing I wasn't Christian, have ever witnessed to me? Has the thought ever even crossed your mind of doing so?
I mean...what kind of Christians are you?--yes, this is a rant, by the way--...You don't have love for me.
You actually believe that I'm hell-bound without faith in Jesus and yet make absolutely zero effort to steer me that way--But not only that!--You actually steer me away! "Sorry buddy, can't have ya hear, hope you find Jesus some other way. Good luck!". "Sorry non-Christian guy who wants to come to our bible study, bible studies are for Christians. Us Christians need time to just be with each other, dontchya know."
Your automatic assumption is that I'm closed off to anything God-related and there's nothing you can do about it.
It's down-right pitiful and that's the simple truth.
If I believed what you believed, I would damn-right act on it! And not because a book or a preacher tells me it's my duty. I would do it out of love. Did you hear me? Cause I don't think you did the last time. I said love. L. O. V. E. It's free. Get some.

You know...I've been to a lot of bible studies. I've never been to a Christian one before though. But I'm gonna keep searching till I find one.

One more thing; I am a Christian Existentialist.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 7:57:36 AM
Also just homing in on one of the things you said about what they should do if they really believed it; thats why I am never annoyed at friends trying to convert me. Occasionally it can be a bit frustrating, but it really just shows that they care.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:14:04 AM
At 4/27/2011 4:51:21 AM, FREEDO wrote:

No, it turns out they just didn't like having a non-Christian there

I would have been curious to what they thought it meant to be Christian, and it is a rather curious idea that you have to be converted to the faith before you are allowed to study the Gospel.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:58:33 AM
So what did I do to have my good friends do that to me? Did I start yelling profanities and cursing The Lord? Did I make a move on one of the girls? Was I possessed by Satan, levitate in the air and throw up on everyone?

No, it turns out they just didn't like having a non-Christian there(I had announced that I wasn't last year). Even a non-Christian who never said a word about his own beliefs and simply participated in the study and happens to know the bible best out of everyone there.

In one of the replies to the message that this was revealed to me, I stepped outside of my always polite demeanor in some words that are bound to bring a blow, once read:

I can understand it, Levi, but--And I'm just being straight with you--there's not much I can find to respect in it.
I have to know, hasn't it once ever occurred to you that none of you, while knowing I wasn't Christian, have ever witnessed to me? Has the thought ever even crossed your mind of doing so?
I mean...what kind of Christians are you?--yes, this is a rant, by the way--...You don't have love for me.
You actually believe that I'm hell-bound without faith in Jesus and yet make absolutely zero effort to steer me that way--But not only that!--You actually steer me away! "Sorry buddy, can't have ya hear, hope you find Jesus some other way. Good luck!". "Sorry non-Christian guy who wants to come to our bible study, bible studies are for Christians. Us Christians need time to just be with each other, dontchya know."
Your automatic assumption is that I'm closed off to anything God-related and there's nothing you can do about it.
If I believed what you believed, I would damn-right act on it! And not because a book or a preacher tells me it's my duty. I would do it out of love. Did you hear me? Cause I don't think you did the last time. I said love. L. O. V. E. It's free. Get some.

You know...I've been to a lot of bible studies. I've never been to a Christian one before though. But I'm gonna keep searching till I find one.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
The Cross.. the Cross.
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 12:37:15 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:58:33 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

life, liberty, freedom ?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 12:46:33 AM
A "free thinker" group wouldn't even let me come to their meeting at all. I found the group online. I had to list my favorite free thinkers and a give a short essay on how I became a "free thinker" before they would let me go. I told them I was Catholic but I still wanted to go to their meeting to discuss their beliefs. I haven't heard back from them. So dont feel alone Freedo.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 12:57:41 AM
At 4/28/2011 12:46:33 AM, jharry wrote:
A "free thinker" group wouldn't even let me come to their meeting at all. I found the group online. I had to list my favorite free thinkers and a give a short essay on how I became a "free thinker" before they would let me go. I told them I was Catholic but I still wanted to go to their meeting to discuss their beliefs. I haven't heard back from them. So dont feel alone Freedo.

Their loss I guess. Dissension is useful in that case, not so much Freedo's. Bible study groups generally aren't for the purposes of debate, or conversion, more fellowship and growth through shared learning.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:03:49 AM
yo freedo, imma 'bout to say some words about 'christian' groups like that. (on fb)
cause stuff like that is bs.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:12:28 AM
I know how that is.

I've actually been on the other end of exorcisms before.

First time, it freaked me out.

Second time, I stared at them like they were all crazy.

Third time, I just laughed in their faces.

They don't try to cast demons out of me anymore.

I know Christians who will be offended if you quote bible at them.

Hey, it was a big part of my former life. It just so happens that I have a lot of brain space wasted on biblical sh!t.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:41:00 AM
At 4/28/2011 1:12:28 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I know how that is.

Hey, it was a big part of my former life. It just so happens that I have a lot of brain space wasted on biblical sh!t.

What denomination were you attending?

Did anything happen that caused you to stop?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 5:46:04 AM
At 4/28/2011 12:37:15 AM, reddj2 wrote:

life, liberty, freedom ?

Jesus is those things.. if you do not have Him you do not have them.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 6:47:36 AM
At 4/28/2011 5:46:04 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

How does he expect you to find him if you have to find him before you are allowed to study the Gospel?
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 8:28:23 AM

"The greatest single cause of Atheism in the world today is Christians who profess Jesus with their lips, walk out the doors and deny him by their lifestyles. That is what an unbelieving worls simply finds unbelieveable." Toby Mac from dc Talk

Garbage like this is what ruins the witness and turns people off. I'm sorry that this happened to you Freedo.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 10:07:01 AM
oh i forgot to post on fb...no worries tho i just wont lol
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 10:12:40 AM

FACEPSALM: v. The act of facepalming as a result of the use or misuse of Scripture.

Oh, if I had a dollar for every time you made me facepsalm...I would be a wealthy man indeed.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 10:24:41 AM

No, it turns out they just didn't like having a non-Christian there(I had announced that I wasn't last year). Even a non-Christian who never said a word about his own beliefs and simply participated in the study and happens to know the bible best out of everyone there.:

Meh... I'm in a Christian school now and am actually taking a course on the Old Testament. Sooner or later they're going to realize that I'm not a Christian. For instance, on my homework I answered some of the questions thus:

5. How is patriarchal "religion" similar to Mosaic "religion" in the Pentateuch? How is it different?

Answer: The similarities include a very common theme among Near Eastern religions, in that God or gods are generally viewed with masculine qualities. Not surprisingly, given the patriarchal nature of Near Eastern culture, women are viewed as subservient to men. This is not meant to be derogatory, simply a statement of fact that gives insight in to the state of mind of the people living at that point in history. How they differ is that, even when the bible uses terms denoting physical attributes, the Hebrews seemed not to define God in anthropomorphic terms. In other words, even when we read of things like being at the "Right hand of God," the only allusion there is merely symbolic of being in His graces. Other cultures that partook in pagan idolatry seemed to genuinely believe that the effigies themselves were the manifestation of that god, not merely a symbolic representation of said deity. The Hebrews rejected such idolatry out of hand, preferring to believe in an incorporeal spirit."

And

3.What approach should we take when challenged to reconcile the book of Genesis with science?

Answer: Genesis was never intended to be, or masquerade as, a science textbook. At most it can be viewed as a brief overview of what God did to accomplish His ends. It does not answer the how question very well, nor does it need to. And at the very least, Genesis can be read not in literal fashion, but that there might simply be an underlying philosophical principle within the story. Many cultures told campside stories that were allegorical. Such stories, even though not literal, provided the listeners with a motive and moral embedded within the story. As for the scientific aspect, one must never go in to any scientific endeavor with the intention of confirming or disaffirming preconceived notions. That's not science, and it never will be. Whether you ascribe to a literal or metaphorical interpretation, that truism remains the same. Any professing Christian who subscribes to the notion of distorting fact to conform to Genesis is essentially lying in the name of Jesus. WWJD"

I'm going to be discovered!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 10:40:26 AM
At 4/28/2011 12:37:15 AM, reddj2 wrote:

life, liberty, freedom ?

I guess your right
If you dont believe then angry Christians will come and harass you
Also WTF REALLY !!!???
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 11:19:23 AM
At 4/28/2011 1:41:00 AM, jharry wrote:
I know how that is.

Non-denominational with very pentecostal leanings.

When I was a Christian, I went to many different churches. There was a time where I went to a church nearly every day of the week.

I lost my faith in the prevailing interpretation of Christianity from doing what was asked of me from Jesus. I went on some crazy adventures. I was very serious about my religion, and studied it obsessively.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 11:51:02 AM

Luke 6:33

And if you do good only to those who do good to you, what credit is it to you? for even sinners do the same.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:16:08 PM
At 4/28/2011 10:12:40 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

FACEPSALM: v. The act of facepalming as a result of the use or misuse of Scripture.

Oh, if I had a dollar for every time you made me facepsalm...I would be a wealthy man indeed.

Why is that a FacePsalm? I've found DATCMOTO to always come correct with the Bible knowledge. He's like Bible Man, he can whip out a piece of scripture for every single thing we talk about. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the whole thing memorized.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 2:40:52 PM
At 4/28/2011 11:19:23 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/28/2011 1:41:00 AM, jharry

My wife is Pentecostal, but it is an Assembly of God. Much more conservative then some others I've been to. I have been to the exorcisms you mentioned. Wild stuff. I'm not sure what I think about it. My wife started out in one much different then the AG. But they had some very strange doctrines so I had her find something else. Thank God she found the AG.

Can I ask if you attended there out of choice or is it your families church? I noticed the Cross on the wall in your music video about KFC. Great video by the way.

When I was a Christian, I went to many different churches. There was a time where I went to a church nearly every day of the week.

Can I ask why?

I lost my faith in the prevailing interpretation of Christianity from doing what was asked of me from Jesus. I went on some crazy adventures. I was very serious about my religion, and studied it obsessively.

I'm a little dense and very slow, could you explain more?
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 3:05:54 PM
At 4/28/2011 11:19:23 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/28/2011 1:41:00 AM, jharry wrote:
I know how that is.

You should write down your religious journey (end of real statement)

About how you fought a demon with a Six-string guitar, or went to hell and destroyed Satan Ice cream maker with a spoon.
How you declared on top of Mt Everest that you are FREE!!!! and the ran down the mountain playing an epic solo making demons heads explode along the way
How you went to the gates of heaven but the Grim Reaper said"you must best me in a fiddle contest " and you replied "no...:l"
so he ran off calling you a meanie:(
Then at the gate, the keeper ask "have a reservation ?"and you replied "dammit...:("
So ye went home sat on the couch and ate a bagel

THEN AN ORPHANGE IN RUSSIA EXPLODES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
having no real relation to the story ...(end of fantasy)

But yes I would like to here your story
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 3:13:30 PM
At 4/28/2011 1:16:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Why is that a FacePsalm? I've found DATCMOTO to always come correct with the Bible knowledge. He's like Bible Man, he can whip out a piece of scripture for every single thing we talk about. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the whole thing memorized.

*cough*

Ahem... This might have been true at one time, but since declaring bankruptcy and going into foreclosure, I think Bibleman probably charges for whipping out scripture.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 3:17:23 PM
At 4/28/2011 1:16:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/28/2011 10:12:40 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Don't you see how my psalm contradicts his psalm?
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 8:08:07 PM
dude that blows.... I bet you could find another church though
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 9:05:29 PM

Man, i really hate it when bible studies end up like this. I've been to quite a few a like this. The sad fact is, is that when people kick unbelievers out of bible study, they aren't even acting like Christians should.

Its almost easier to convert nonbelievers than it is to convert unbelieving "Christians."
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 9:12:19 PM
At 4/30/2011 8:08:07 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
dude that blows.... I bet you could find another church though

I go to two other bible studies.

I want to go to a Unitarian Universalist church but the closest one isn't very close.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 5:53:04 AM
At 4/28/2011 6:47:36 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

How does he expect you to find him if you have to find him before you are allowed to study the Gospel?

Who's stopping you from studying the Gospels?

Any Christian should spend ALL of his free time explaining the Good News to you..

This is NOT the same as joining a CHRISTIAN meeting FOR Christians!
The Cross.. the Cross.