Jump to topic:

Why would God want people to worship?

andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 7:28:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a fundamental problem I have with religion. My problem is not with a belief in God's existence. As a weak atheist/agnostic (whichever you would like to refer to it as), I don't believe that stating an affirmation either way is justifiable for something which you cannot definitively prove either way.

However, if I take a moment and accept the possibility of God's existence, and acknowledge that this higher being is 'all-loving, all knowing' etc as most religions (though not all perhaps) state that God is... it leads me very much to question why a God would want billions of people to worship him and carry out all these rituals associated with religion that take up so much time and money (which could be spent elsewhere on doing far more charitable things).

In fact, why would a God need people to believe in him at all? If I can lead a good and moral life without God - what does it matter?
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 7:57:59 AM
Your question follows the format, "What are God's motive for x...?" If you consider the magnificence of all that exists, I hope you will agree that the motives of creator of universe might be beyond our understanding. Even if God explains the reasons, we might not be in a position to understand.

Even then, I might suggest a possible reason with help of an analogy. Suppose a person who is quite just, polite and nice to everyone - refuses to recognize or honor her parents. She takes a weak atheistic / agnostic position regarding her parentage (They may or may not be my parents!). In such a case will the parents feel hurt?

Of course, this analogy is not perfect. Parents are not God. Our Parents may actually need our support. God does not need our support. We won't be able to actually cause any loss to God.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:01:09 AM
At 4/27/2011 7:28:25 AM, andyh wrote:
In fact, why would a God need people to believe in him at all? If I can lead a good and moral life without God - what does it matter?

Without god how can there be a good and moral life? There are just lives.
To answer the rest of your question; I don't know. The Christian theists will say something along the lines of "for his glory", which seems to be a more reverent way of saying "I don't know, but I'm sure there is a good reason"
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:12:00 AM

If I can lead a good and moral life without God - what does it matter?

You can't, that is the point.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:19:46 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:12:00 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

You can't, that is the point.:

And yet millions of secularists live more in accordance with the gospel than many theists. Even according to most theists, you can do all the right things on earth, and all of that goodwill would amount to nothing without accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. In essence, according to them, you're still going to burn for all eternity. According to them, Ghandi is writhing in the pit of hell.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:27:30 AM

You can't, that is the point.

So you believe I am leading a bad, immoral life?

I also question the 'parent' example you used. This does not justify worship by any stretch. If my parent had allowed many of my brothers and sisters to be killed in tragic circumstances under their watch, I probably wouldn't be so inclined to thank them for it.
andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:28:26 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:19:46 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

You can't, that is the point.:

And yet millions of secularists live more in accordance with the gospel than many theists. Even according to most theists, you can do all the right things on earth, and all of that goodwill would amount to nothing without accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. In essence, according to them, you're still going to burn for all eternity. According to them, Ghandi is writhing in the pit of hell.

What this man said above is very accurate. I personally believe I lead a moral and good life which would probably be in accordance with many religious teachings. However I didn't get there via religious teachings.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:34:13 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:27:30 AM, andyh wrote:
I also question the 'parent' example you used. This does not justify worship by any stretch. If my parent had allowed many of my brothers and sisters to be killed in tragic circumstances under their watch, I probably wouldn't be so inclined to thank them for it.

Everyone who is born (including you and me) has to die one day. That is God's rule. Is this the reason you do not worship God?

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:39:56 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:34:13 AM, baggins wrote:

Everyone who is born (including you and me) has to die one day. That is God's rule. Is this the reason you do not worship God?

No, the reasons I don't worship are as follows:

1) I do not affirm a belief in God. I accept there's a possibility that a God exists, but don't think there is enough proof or evidence for me either to catagorically state a belief in or against.

2) If I was to believe in a higher power, I would probably imagine that this higher power would be free from the human constrains of egoism, self-centredness & selfishness. I would not imagine that he would judge based on belief or non belief in himself.

3) It is the different practices and rituals that ultimately divide people who should be united in agreeing upon the existence of a higher power. It is this division that causes so many problems in the world of yesterday as well as of the world of today, and probably tomorrow! More could be achieved if this was all stripped away and you had belief without all the silly additions.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:49:49 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:39:56 AM, andyh wrote:

1) I do not affirm a belief in God. I accept there's a possibility that a God exists, but don't think there is enough proof or evidence for me either to catagorically state a belief in or against.

2) If I was to believe in a higher power, I would probably imagine that this higher power would be free from the human constrains of egoism, self-centredness & selfishness. I would not imagine that he would judge based on belief or non belief in himself.

3) It is the different practices and rituals that ultimately divide people who should be united in agreeing upon the existence of a higher power. It is this division that causes so many problems in the world of yesterday as well as of the world of today, and probably tomorrow! More could be achieved if this was all stripped away and you had belief without all the silly additions.

I might attempt to answer each of the charges individually, however as you have said,

...I accept there's a possibility that a God exists...

Whether you believe in God or not is a matter between you and God. You have given an indication of having an open mind. I hope that as you study more about religion and interact with genuine religious people, you will get the answers to your objections for your self.

andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:55:45 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:49:49 AM, baggins wrote:

I might attempt to answer each of the charges individually, however as you have said,

...I accept there's a possibility that a God exists...

Whether you believe in God or not is a matter between you and God. You have given an indication of having an open mind. I hope that as you study more about religion and interact with genuine religious people, you will get the answers to your objections for your self.

I have no objections really, but I don't think I will ever be convinced entirely either way. But regardless of whether I believed in God or not - that does not negate the question. Even if I was to firmly believe in God, I am fairly certain I would not believe in his worship. Respect for sure, but worship? No.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:02:02 AM
"Worship" is probably a word that i have as much difficulty with as atheists, but for different reasons; i.e. it greatly defines the relationship between man and God.

However, i will say that it is important, and good for the individual to acknowledge a power greater than themselves (IMHO). It has at least helped me in the last ten years or so to be further defined by knowing this power greater than myself exists in my life, and have developed a certain relationship with that power.

Since humility is the cornerstone of my spirituality, it is a fundamental requirement to have this belief as its core. I would prefer to say that i honor God, and have great gratitude for the role He plays in my life, but "worship" seems to remove Him from my very limited understanding of what God has become to me.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:10:47 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:02:02 AM, innomen wrote:
Since humility is the cornerstone of my spirituality, it is a fundamental requirement to have this belief as its core. I would prefer to say that i honor God, and have great gratitude for the role He plays in my life...

Add to it that you ask God for help in your affairs. And this is worship!

andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:14:20 AM
"Worship" is probably a word that i have as much difficulty with as atheists, but for different reasons; i.e. it greatly defines the relationship between man and God.

However, i will say that it is important, and good for the individual to acknowledge a power greater than themselves (IMHO). It has at least helped me in the last ten years or so to be further defined by knowing this power greater than myself exists in my life, and have developed a certain relationship with that power.

Since humility is the cornerstone of my spirituality, it is a fundamental requirement to have this belief as its core. I would prefer to say that i honor God, and have great gratitude for the role He plays in my life, but "worship" seems to remove Him from my very limited understanding of what God has become to me.

Without meaning to sound as controversial as I'm probably about to: simply because something is a higher power does not justify worship of it. Respect by all means. But worship?

Now I know that the word 'worship' must have a lot of different definitions for a lot of different people, and that for many it will simply be a way of managing their relationship with this higher power - a way that suits them best. Fair enough. But I'm moreover speaking of congregations coming together to sing God's praises and unite in ritual and things to those who might be unaware - could seem simply bizarre. Would an all-loving all-knowing God really want people to be doing this when others of his children are dying of hunger, thirst & disease?

Now I'm not saying that people who believe shouldn't come together as a community, and neither am I suggesting people should neglect or ignore their relationships with this higher power in which they believe. I'm just suggesting that this kind of weekly praise and ritualistic worship makes this God seem to be like some kind of self-obsessed figure which really puts me off religion as a concept. The God I might imagine (if I were to believe) would prefer this energy to be spent elsewhere.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:21:51 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:14:20 AM, andyh wrote:

Without meaning to sound as controversial as I'm probably about to: simply because something is a higher power does not justify worship of it. Respect by all means. But worship?

Now I know that the word 'worship' must have a lot of different definitions for a lot of different people, and that for many it will simply be a way of managing their relationship with this higher power - a way that suits them best. Fair enough. But I'm moreover speaking of congregations coming together to sing God's praises and unite in ritual and things to those who might be unaware - could seem simply bizarre. Would an all-loving all-knowing God really want people to be doing this when others of his children are dying of hunger, thirst & disease?

Now I'm not saying that people who believe shouldn't come together as a community, and neither am I suggesting people should neglect or ignore their relationships with this higher power in which they believe. I'm just suggesting that this kind of weekly praise and ritualistic worship makes this God seem to be like some kind of self-obsessed figure which really puts me off religion as a concept. The God I might imagine (if I were to believe) would prefer this energy to be spent elsewhere.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong end. Is it good for those who do it? Does it humble them and provide a value in their lives. If it does, and God wants the best for us, then that would probably be the reason. It is best if man does not think he is God, and it is better to be humbled before God than another man - these things are better for the individual. Again, i am not crazy about the word "worship", but there needs to be an end result of humility - as that is the point.
andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:29:37 AM
I think you're looking at it from the wrong end. Is it good for those who do it? Does it humble them and provide a value in their lives. If it does, and God wants the best for us, then that would probably be the reason. It is best if man does not think he is God, and it is better to be humbled before God than another man - these things are better for the individual. Again, i am not crazy about the word "worship", but there needs to be an end result of humility - as that is the point.

Is it good for them - isn't that a rather human and selfish outlook on it? Aren't there better ways to show humility than sitting in a Church/Mosque/insert religious gathering point and carrying out man-invented rituals? Can one not worship through actions rather than words spoke in unison and ancient rituals?
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:32:34 AM
At 4/27/2011 8:19:46 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

And yet millions of secularists live more in accordance with the gospel than many theists.

Yes, but simply believing in God is rarely enough for salvation aside from some fairly old Religions which worship things such as Chaos/Destruction or are little more than demi-god personifications.

Even according to most theists, you can do all the right things on earth, and all of that goodwill would amount to nothing without accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. In essence, according to them, you're still going to burn for all eternity. According to them, Ghandi is writhing in the pit of hell.

Some take that approach yes, which is a rather curious one but the intent is rather obvious.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:33:14 AM

Now I know that the word 'worship' must have a lot of different definitions for a lot of different people...

When you respect and love God, and you remember God, and you ask God for help - this is worship. You can do it anywhere and anytime you want.

Of course religions recommend certain ritual and times for worship. Following that ensures that you do remember God periodically. When you remember God, you also remember the moral code God recommended. Prayers improves time management and discipline. It ensures that all the followers remain in touch with each other. It provides an occasion where the rich and poor can come together. It is a natural place where you can come to know about needy people in your community. I assure you, it is not a waste of energy.

So while we can pray alone without any methods, praying together and with a method is much more fulfilling!

Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:35:14 AM

So you believe I am leading a bad, immoral life?

I don't know you and even if I did I would not care to judge it if you are asking in general if one could be moral without God, then logically one could not if God defines morality.

Your parents allow people to die all the time which they could prevent, so do you, is there some reason why this does not concen you?
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:38:47 AM

You need to talk to a mature and rational theist, you can't judge theism by those that are theists and are irrational, that would be like saying atheists are conspiracy nutjobs because Geo (atheist) believes that shape shifting lizards from another dimension rule this world from their UFO's and their invsible bases which circle the star inside this hollow earth.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:42:07 AM
If a god did exist, let's suppose as an omniscient, omnipotent, all loving, etc, all your arguments, innomen, do not address the fact that there are many religions around the world, having different worship practices, different deities, and different philosophies. Not to mention all the wars its caused. If a god is omnipotent, CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, REALITY, AND PHYSICS, wouldnt he be able to unite all the world's people under one religion? At least give us ONE conclusive book instead of a ton of scrappy human written epic poems.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:42:19 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:14:20 AM, andyh wrote:

I'm moreover speaking of congregations coming together to sing God's praises and unite in ritual and things to those who might be unaware - could seem simply bizarre.

People need differnt things in order to achieve peace and stability, my wife simply needs a picture of Krishna and she can mediate with that focus, without the picture it can be done but it simply more difficult to focus. Some people however need to be in a temple to give them the ablity to concentrate and some other people need a priest or a congregation.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:45:58 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:42:07 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

At least give us ONE conclusive book instead of a ton of scrappy human written epic poems.

Rocky, if memory serves aout now you are likely studying foundational algebra and geometry. Do you think that it would be possible to write one book which would ideally explain these concepts to everyone at your age no matter their differences?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 10:14:07 AM
This is a fundamental problem I have with religion. My problem is not with a belief in God's existence. As a weak atheist/agnostic (whichever you would like to refer to it as), I don't believe that stating an affirmation either way is justifiable for something which you cannot definitively prove either way.

However, if I take a moment and accept the possibility of God's existence, and acknowledge that this higher being is 'all-loving, all knowing' etc as most religions (though not all perhaps) state that God is... it leads me very much to question why a God would want billions of people to worship him and carry out all these rituals associated with religion that take up so much time and money (which could be spent elsewhere on doing far more charitable things).

Because there's NOTHING better than saying 'wow, that's cool!' (latest film, band, girl etc) and as ALL things come from God the ONLY truth is to worship Him.. He wants us to live in Truth!
The Cross.. the Cross.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 11:15:08 AM

I will try my best to answer your questions but I'm not sure you can fully answer those questions. Only make guesses.
God created man so that they would worship Him. Without worshiping Him how can we follow His Word. That brings up the question why would God create us so that we may worship Him. That's a difficult question, the best I can do is that God saw that it was fitting and good http://www.biblegateway.com...

But what do you mean by all these rituals that take up time and money?

The truth is you can't and do not live a good and moral life. Now don't get offended. No one can live a good and moral life on earth. They can live a good and moral life in mans standards, but not in Gods. Which is why we need God. Without God we cannot go to heaven where we will be perfect.
It is hard to understand how sinful are. But when Isaiah came before the presence of the Lord he cried out and wept for he realized his sin was so great. Other times in the Bible as well when men come before the presence of the Lord they weep because of their sin.
In the book of Isaiah God says he searched out the earth for one man who was able to intercede but found none. That is why he sent His son Jesus to die for our sins and to intercede between God and man.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 11:33:30 AM
At 4/27/2011 9:29:37 AM, andyh wrote:

Is it good for them - isn't that a rather human and selfish outlook on it? Aren't there better ways to show humility than sitting in a Church/Mosque/insert religious gathering point and carrying out man-invented rituals? Can one not worship through actions rather than words spoke in unison and ancient rituals?

If God wants what is best for our development then certainly he would want us to have humility. Is that selfish for a human? Not sure where your accusation of selfishness lies. Are there more than one way of doing it? Of course. It is my belief that the more humility a person has the happier they are, and the more good they will do. Happy people, and people who have humility are good for the world.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 11:34:34 AM
If a god did exist, let's suppose as an omniscient, omnipotent, all loving, etc, all your arguments, innomen, do not address the fact that there are many religions around the world, having different worship practices, different deities, and different philosophies. Not to mention all the wars its caused. If a god is omnipotent, CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, REALITY, AND PHYSICS, wouldnt he be able to unite all the world's people under one religion? At least give us ONE conclusive book instead of a ton of scrappy human written epic poems.

Um, okay. Did you read the OP?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:02:08 PM
At 4/27/2011 9:45:58 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

At least give us ONE conclusive book instead of a ton of scrappy human written epic poems.

Rocky, if memory serves aout now you are likely studying foundational algebra and geometry. Do you think that it would be possible to write one book which would ideally explain these concepts to everyone at your age no matter their differences?

1. Yes it is possible, math books arent written to address certain groups.

2. If god did exist, wouldnt an omnipotent, omniscient being be able to write a book for everyone? Or is he incompetent?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:03:33 PM
At 4/27/2011 11:34:34 AM, innomen wrote:

Um, okay. Did you read the OP?

*crickets*
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:36:40 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:02:08 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

1. Yes it is possible, math books arent written to address certain groups.

Actually they are, and having taught for quite some time a text book can do wonderful for one class and horrible for the next. It is unfortunate that you believe teaching should be so impersonal. I don't think I have ever given the same lectures twice as all groups have their own character which ideally demands customization.