Grace relies on good information.

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 9:04:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago

Many Christians say that God does not send us to hell and that we CHOOSE to go there on our own. If fully informed, only the insane would reject God.

Given that God wills the very best for us, and given that we ourselves want the very best for ourselves, then it would seem that no one could make a FULLY INFORMED decision against God. And if not FULLY INFORMED, then the free will defense of hell falls down.

For me, this would apply to the above, given that to reject that which is (by the definition of Christians) the very best for us would imply that one is not fully informed.

This argument is developed in many ways in Thomas Talbott's book "The Inescapable Love of God", where he shows how a doctrine of Universalism (all are eventually saved) is compatible with the Biblical teaching as found in the NT, especially the writings of St Paul.

This quote also indicates that it is God's will that none be lost and I cannot see God letting his will be thwarted by mankind.

Peter 3;9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

That being the case, there is no hell. Right?
No one who is not insane would choose hell. Right?
God does not allow his will to be thwarted. Right?

Regards
DL
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 11:12:51 AM
God's grace does rely on good information.

Sad but true.

Though anybody who wants this information can get it, and I'll give you all a hint..

You aren't going to find it in a holy book. At most, you are going to find a sign that is pointing in the direction of where it is.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 5:31:02 AM
At 5/2/2011 9:04:32 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Many Christians say that God does not send us to hell and that we CHOOSE to go there on our own. If fully informed, only the insane would reject God.

Given that God wills the very best for us, and given that we ourselves want the very best for ourselves, then it would seem that no one could make a FULLY INFORMED decision against God. And if not FULLY INFORMED, then the free will defense of hell falls down.

For me, this would apply to the above, given that to reject that which is (by the definition of Christians) the very best for us would imply that one is not fully informed.

This argument is developed in many ways in Thomas Talbott's book "The Inescapable Love of God", where he shows how a doctrine of Universalism (all are eventually saved) is compatible with the Biblical teaching as found in the NT, especially the writings of St Paul.

This quote also indicates that it is God's will that none be lost and I cannot see God letting his will be thwarted by mankind.

Peter 3;9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Regards
DL

Exodus 33:19
And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
The Cross.. the Cross.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 8:13:40 AM
At 5/2/2011 9:04:32 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

According to scripture mans entire being including the offices of intellect and his ability to choose are taint with sin. The person fully informed would be no more willing to choose God then the person least informed.

Where does it say in the Bible that God wills the best for us (globally)? Can you say that during the flood, or with Pharaoh as the water caved on him, or the Canaanite region? The truth is God wills the best for His glory first and then for His people (inclusive as the elect). We want the best for ourselves as long as God is not included into the equation. As for being fully informed the Bible says that everyman knows in their hearts (conscience) that they have broken Gods law (whether or not they know it as Gods law). That is known as General Revelation. So according to the Bible all mankind is "sufficiently informed". Free will is an iffy topic because it has been interpreted in a different ways in church history depending on the theology (Arminian or Calvinist).

Your not fully informed, your sufficiently informed. The only reason anyone "chooses" God completely against their own nature is if God first changes their nature. This is known as Regeneration and Unconditional Election. God is not 'worried' about whether or not DL is going to make a 'decision for Jesus' today. That's a joke but is unfortunately a logical end to modern American popcorn theology. Historically it was not so.

Peter 3;9

Unfortunately Talbott's universalism is a heresy and he is not using that verse in context. Read the verse in its context. The 'any', and 'all' is referring to the Elect. Examine this article: http://www.reformationtheology.com...

There is a hell

The puritans used to call sinning 'insanity'...

Correct!

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:22:01 AM
At 5/2/2011 11:12:51 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God's grace does rely on good information.

Sad but true.

Though anybody who wants this information can get it, and I'll give you all a hint..

You aren't going to find it in a holy book. At most, you are going to find a sign that is pointing in the direction of where it is.

No time for games but thanks for the invitation.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:24:24 AM
At 5/3/2011 5:31:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

Thanks for proving my point.
A God of love obviously has infinite compassion and mercy and saves us all.

Regards
DL
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:26:18 AM
Simply if something is good for us doesnt mean we have to accept it. If the healthiest food in the world tastes like crap, Im not going to eat it.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:32:02 AM
At 5/3/2011 8:14:19 AM, joneszj wrote:
And sorry again that I cannot see the vids.

In a nutshell. Bishop Spong is saying that hell is an invention of the church and that it is a hold over from our tribal mentality. he is right.

As to your belief in hell, even as it goes aginst 2 Peter, shows your God as a loser who would torture souls forever without purpose. Quite an immoral stance for both you and your God.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:35:51 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:26:18 AM, Heathen wrote:
Simply if something is good for us doesnt mean we have to accept it. If the healthiest food in the world tastes like crap, Im not going to eat it.

True,but for your analogy to work, you would have to refuse good food and knowingly reach for and eat from the plate of poison.

Are you that insane?

Regards
DL
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:38:19 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:35:51 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

True,but for your analogy to work, you would have to refuse good food and knowingly reach for and eat from the plate of poison.

Are you that insane?

Regards
DL

Where in the OP does it say that not choosing god is poison?
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:58:23 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:38:19 AM, Heathen wrote:
At 5/3/2011 10:35:51 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Are you that insane?

Regards
DL

Where in the OP does it say that not choosing god is poison?

Are the two options not heaven or hell? God or Satan?

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 10:59:00 AM
At 5/3/2011 10:38:47 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You do realize that it's patently unnecessary to sign all your posts, right?

Yes.

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 12:42:58 PM
At 5/3/2011 10:32:02 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

In a nutshell. Bishop Spong is saying that hell is an invention of the church and that it is a hold over from our tribal mentality. he is right.

As to your belief in hell, even as it goes aginst 2 Peter, shows your God as a loser who would torture souls forever without purpose. Quite an immoral stance for both you and your God.

Regards
DL

Senario for you DL: you come home to find your family murdered before your eyes. The criminal is basking joyfully at his work. While he is distracted to somehow apprehend him and bring to before the court. The judge responds to the criminal after being convicted, tried, and even pleading guilty "You know what mr. Criminal? I am an all loving judge. I am going to let you go free of charge! Even though you are guilty in every possible way. Even though I made a law that says you should spend life in jail I am going against that law. I do this because I love you and everyone else." /scenario.

Is that not outrageous? In effect you are saying that God (a perfect God) is looking over sin and evil never to justify it and in the process becomes evil. Who is the loser here? Justice.... Your God would be immoral.

btw Hell is not a tool of the church. The church is simply declaring what the Bible says. You refuse to believe what the Bible says and instead continue to forge a god after your liking. A god so loving that he lets evil go unchecked.

Regards
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 1:15:49 PM
At 5/3/2011 12:42:58 PM, joneszj wrote:
At 5/3/2011 10:32:02 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

Senario for you DL: you come home to find your family murdered before your eyes. The criminal is basking joyfully at his work. While he is distracted to somehow apprehend him and bring to before the court. The judge responds to the criminal after being convicted, tried, and even pleading guilty "You know what mr. Criminal? I am an all loving judge. I am going to let you go free of charge! Even though you are guilty in every possible way. Even though I made a law that says you should spend life in jail I am going against that law. I do this because I love you and everyone else." /scenario.

Is that not outrageous? In effect you are saying that God (a perfect God) is looking over sin and evil never to justify it and in the process becomes evil. Who is the loser here? Justice.... Your God would be immoral.

btw Hell is not a tool of the church. The church is simply declaring what the Bible says. You refuse to believe what the Bible says and instead continue to forge a god after your liking. A god so loving that he lets evil go unchecked.

Regards

I punish to change attitudes and actions.

Why do you punish and would you get the result you want by sending someone to everlasting torture?

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 1:18:15 PM
At 5/3/2011 10:24:24 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

DL, this verse is also quoted in the NT. It in Romans Chapter 9. The same chapter that has God saying "Jacob I loved, and Esau I hated" and "It is not he who wills but he who has mercy" and "before they were born having not done good or bad in order that Gods purpose in election might stand it was said 'the older shall serve the younger'". Same chapter that Paul pruposes rhetorical questions like 'Well is no one can resist His will why does He still find fault?' and Paul gives us the answer 'Who are you to say to the potter why have you made me this way? For out of the same lump of clay are vessels of mercy and vessels of wrath.' This same chapter says "For this very purpose I have raised you (Pharaoh) up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

Point is God does love everyone but His love is not dispenced equally to all people. Romans 9 'the is an Isreal and then there is an ISREAL. God loves the world in giving them common grace and mercy every moment of their life on earth but loves His Elect in that He willingly bestows saving grace to them.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 1:20:12 PM
joneszj

Do you believe the Bible?

Do you believe a book that begins with a talking snake and ends with a seven headed monster?

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 1:30:19 PM
At 5/3/2011 1:18:15 PM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

DL, this verse is also quoted in the NT. It in Romans Chapter 9. The same chapter that has God saying "Jacob I loved, and Esau I hated" and "It is not he who wills but he who has mercy" and "before they were born having not done good or bad in order that Gods purpose in election might stand it was said 'the older shall serve the younger'". Same chapter that Paul pruposes rhetorical questions like 'Well is no one can resist His will why does He still find fault?' and Paul gives us the answer 'Who are you to say to the potter why have you made me this way? For out of the same lump of clay are vessels of mercy and vessels of wrath.' This same chapter says "For this very purpose I have raised you (Pharaoh) up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

Point is God does love everyone but His love is not dispenced equally to all people. Romans 9 'the is an Isreal and then there is an ISREAL. God loves the world in giving them common grace and mercy every moment of their life on earth but loves His Elect in that He willingly bestows saving grace to them.

You show a self centerd god who is only interested in his own agrandisement. Tsk tsk. You have a God of division and I have a God of unity.

What a game for your God to play!
Create a place for eternal bliss as well as a place for eternal suffering.
Then create beings whom he loves dearly and watches over.
And in the end, decide which to consider "trash" and "throw away" into the place for eternal suffering and which to cling to and love in the place for eternal bliss.
Even man, with all his faults, is greater and more responsible.

Scripture says we are created for God's pleasure. It would not please God, according to scripture to lose any of us.

Rethink your immoral divisive theology.

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 4:12:44 PM
At 5/3/2011 1:30:19 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 5/3/2011 1:18:15 PM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

You show a self centerd god who is only interested in his own agrandisement.

and....?

Tsk tsk. You have a God of division and I have a God of unity.

My God unites under justice, your god unites in the absence of it.

What a game for your God to play!
Create a place for eternal bliss as well as a place for eternal suffering.
Then create beings whom he loves dearly and watches over.
And in the end, decide which to consider "trash" and "throw away" into the place for eternal suffering and which to cling to and love in the place for eternal bliss.
Even man, with all his faults, is greater and more responsible.

What you are misunderstanding here is the term Reprobation. Ephesians says God predestined His church before the foundations of the earth (creation) to be holy and blameless before Him. Men since the fall are evil (Total Depravity) and God chooses whom He wills (Election) and passes over others (Reprobation). God does not 'decide' which to throw away (often coined as hyper-calvinism), He decides which to save while passively allowing the rest to choose hell. The difference is in the term passive. God does not actively intervene in some against their wills to damn them (we do that on our own). God actively intervenes in some to save them (Regeneration, Unconditional Election). God is playing no game. Everyone is rightfully damned but He gracefully and mercifully saves those whom He wills on the merits of the propitiating work of Christ.

Scripture says we are created for God's pleasure. It would not please God, according to scripture to lose any of us.

Psalms 4:4 God hates all evil doers. Thats actually kinda unanimous in scripture. It does please God to punish evil.

You might be interested in a man name Rob Bell. He is a heretical universalist (kinda what your describing). To make this short examine an article on how hell glorifies God: http://www.freerepublic.com...

Rethink your immoral divisive theology.

Reread your Bible

Regards
DL
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 2:02:48 AM

Dat, there are a vast amount of people in the world, even more who have passed away, who have never even heard of the gospels.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 5:26:58 AM

Regards
DL

If everyone is wealthy then the concept of wealth dissapears.. if everyone is beautiful then beauty is no more.. mercy is ALMOST the same.. BUT:

WE who have been shown mercy MUST spend it (by not condemning etc) on those who have not been shown it.. mercy is the currency of the Kingdom of Heaven.

John 3:27
To this John replied, "A person can receive only what is given them from heaven.
The Cross.. the Cross.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 7:16:45 AM
At 5/4/2011 5:26:58 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Regards
DL

If everyone is wealthy then the concept of wealth dissapears.. if everyone is beautiful then beauty is no more.. mercy is ALMOST the same.. BUT:

WE who have been shown mercy MUST spend it (by not condemning etc) on those who have not been shown it.. mercy is the currency of the Kingdom of Heaven.

To this John replied, "A person can receive only what is given them from heaven.

Wow DAT each day your sounding more and more like a Calvinist ;-P I completely agree.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 8:42:48 AM

Regards
DL

Which is exactly why God gives it to all.
You are confirming my view by trying to do the opposite. Thanks.
You cannot turn good to evil friend. Christians are good at that but it is not working here.

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:10:04 AM
At 5/4/2011 8:42:48 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

Just read Romans chapter 9. Or how about John 17.

Your reading what you want to see and tricking yourself in the process.

You cannot turn good to evil friend. Christians are good at that but it is not working here.

Do you think you are nobly defending God? That somehow despite all the scripture that speaks of Gods wrath and anger towards sinners that somehow those verses can be overlooked? You high on humanism and you have made an idol out of it.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:26:00 AM
At 5/4/2011 9:10:04 AM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

LOL.
This from one who literally believes a book that begins with a talking snake and ends with a seven headed monster that are real.

Who be the fool, fool?

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 9:59:04 AM
At 5/4/2011 9:26:00 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 5/4/2011 9:10:04 AM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

LOL.
This from one who literally believes a book that begins with a talking snake and ends with a seven headed monster that are real.

Who be the fool, fool?

Regards
DL

Trying to change the subject are you? Can't respond to fair rebuttals? I never said I believed in a literal Creation or a literal Eschatalogical interpretation of Revelation either. Not saying that such viewpoint are wrong or foolish. The Bible is consistent with itself, just because it does not fit into your worldview box does not make it foolish- it makes you..... closed minded was it? But you have avoided every one of my points simply to try and belittle me. I think its rather obvious who is being folish atm.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 10:37:26 AM
At 5/4/2011 9:59:04 AM, joneszj wrote:
Trying to change the subject are you? Can't respond to fair rebuttals? I never said I believed in a literal Creation or a literal Eschatalogical interpretation of Revelation either. Not saying that such viewpoint are wrong or foolish.

Exactly. That is why you be fool.

The Bible is consistent with itself, just because it does not fit into your worldview box does not make it foolish- it makes you..... closed minded was it? But you have avoided every one of my points simply to try and belittle me. I think its rather obvious who is being folish atm.

Consistent?
Shall I get you the list of contradictions?

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 10:59:41 AM
At 5/4/2011 10:37:26 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 5/4/2011 9:59:04 AM, joneszj wrote:
Trying to change the subject are you? Can't respond to fair rebuttals? I never said I believed in a literal Creation or a literal Eschatalogical interpretation of Revelation either. Not saying that such viewpoint are wrong or foolish.

Exactly. That is why you be fool.

The Bible is consistent with itself, just because it does not fit into your worldview box does not make it foolish- it makes you..... closed minded was it? But you have avoided every one of my points simply to try and belittle me. I think its rather obvious who is being folish atm.

Consistent?
Shall I get you the list of contradictions?

Regards
DL

You may and I would gladly point out the err of your interpretations. I do however ask that you make a new Forum Topic for that. It would be nice. You still have not addressed my questions and rebuttals.