Jump to topic:

When should religion be introduced to a child

abirenbaum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:01:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No matter your beliefs, do you think religion should be introduced right away to a kid, or wait until they're older?
Personally, I think most Christians (for example) could be Muslim or Jewish if that is the way they were brought up.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:12:00 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:01:09 PM, abirenbaum wrote:
No matter your beliefs, do you think religion should be introduced right away to a kid, or wait until they're older?
Personally, I think most Christians (for example) could be Muslim or Jewish if that is the way they were brought up.

Start when their young is the only way they can brainwash the children.

Why do you think Mormons have so many children, so many wives? Because Joseph Smith knew that the fastest way to grow a religion, isnt to convert, but to multiply.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:13:12 PM

When the parent decides it is best.

Are you implying that "we" (who ever you say I guess) should have the authority to restrict parents from teaching their children what they do or don't believe?

Would you be ok with it if the shoe was on the other foot.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
abirenbaum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:34:15 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:13:12 PM, jharry wrote:

Are you implying that "we" (who ever you say I guess) should have the authority to restrict parents from teaching their children what they do or don't believe?

Not at all. I was merely asking when the best time parent should introduce religion to their child. And "when the parent decides it is best" is a lame answer. If you were the parent, when would you introduced religion.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:43:21 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:34:15 PM, abirenbaum wrote:
At 5/5/2011 11:13:12 PM, jharry wrote:

Not at all. I was merely asking when the best time parent should introduce religion to their child. And "when the parent decides it is best" is a lame answer. If you were the parent, when would you introduced religion.

I am a parent. Three wonderful children. I introduced them a few days after birth. And they are better off for it compared to children I know that haven't been. I'm not making a case but I know what I see. Maybe my children are just awesome like me, I doubt it, I'm not that awesome.

But it is possible.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 12:24:58 AM
When a child is born Azaan is recited near him/her as soon as possible. I think religion should be taught from very early childhood. I agree ultimately it is upto parents.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:36:26 AM

Pretty much everybody teaches their kids the best they know how.. As I KNOW that Christ's teaching are the ONLY way to live, I am of course going to encourage them to pray for the kid that bullies them, that they may be free of malice etc..

But I will NOT teach them in order that they become a Christian; ONLY Jesus can give them that gift:

Acts 16:31
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."

John 4:53
Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." So he and his whole household believed.

Acts 16:33
At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

Acts 11:14
He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'

Any saved man with an unsaved wife or children must simply receive the truth of these scriptures and WAIT patiently for there fulfilment.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:42:52 AM
You don't KNOW anything DATCMOTO.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:44:18 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:42:52 AM, tvellalott wrote:

How do you know that he doesn't know anything?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:45:10 AM

Which, of course, is why you have chosen NOT to engage with me in any meaningful debate.. because I do not know anything..
The Cross.. the Cross.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:47:10 AM
They should be taught them as soon as they ask to be taught them. And they should be taught all of them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:48:38 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:45:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Which, of course, is why you have chosen NOT to engage with me in any meaningful debate.. because I do not know anything..

I don't even know why you're on this site. You're simply a joke. You don't make logical arguments, you just throw out bible verses everywhere.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:49:17 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:47:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
They should be taught them as soon as they ask to be taught them. And they should be taught all of them.

Focusing heavily on the ones which ask them to worship, Thaddeus the Omni-Badass
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:49:27 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:47:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Let THEM tell US what to do you mean? Hitler AND Stalin both swallowed that idea..

" YOUR a thought criminal. " a child to Winston Smith in 1984.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 5:59:11 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:45:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

I mean it in the nicest way.
All the stuff you claim to know, you cannot teach me because I don't believe in a entity that you cannot prove exists.
I don't 'know' anything about the things you claim to 'know' about, so I conclude you are either mad, mistaken or that your God is illogical in achieving it's goal (which is being worshipped).
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 9:24:50 AM
If I ever have children I would recite scripture before they are even intellectually capable of grasping the concepts. But I do agree with an earlier post that it is really up to when the parent decides.
abirenbaum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 9:32:13 AM
At 5/6/2011 5:36:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Pretty much everybody teaches their kids the best they know how.. As I KNOW that Christ's teaching are the ONLY way to live, I am of course going to encourage them to pray for the kid that bullies them, that they may be free of malice etc..

But I will NOT teach them in order that they become a Christian; ONLY Jesus can give them that gift:

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."

Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." So he and his whole household believed.

At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'

Any saved man with an unsaved wife or children must simply receive the truth of these scriptures and WAIT patiently for there fulfilment.

Do you think that if you would have been brought up as an orthodox Jew (for example) that you would have eventually found Jesus and Christianity like you did in this life? This is the point I'm trying to make.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 9:44:10 AM
At 5/6/2011 9:32:13 AM, abirenbaum wrote:
At 5/6/2011 5:36:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Do you think that if you would have been brought up as an orthodox Jew (for example) that you would have eventually found Jesus and Christianity like you did in this life? This is the point I'm trying to make.

Well that is sort of a not fair question. To answer it something must be presupposed: that is whether or not the Christian God is real. So if I were brought up as a Ortho Jew and the Christian God is real then it would be up to the Christian God on whether or no I come to faith in Jesus. If vice-versa then it would not matter.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 6:20:43 PM
Religion should be introduced right away, but rather than just one belief system they should all be taught several so the child can decide on their own what to believe.
abirenbaum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 6:46:14 PM
At 5/6/2011 6:20:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Religion should be introduced right away, but rather than just one belief system they should all be taught several so the child can decide on their own what to believe.

I agree with you that they should all be introduced so that they can decide on their own what to believe, but how can they make a rational decision when they are so young. A little kid is going to choose a belief system using poor methods such as which belief system do their friends believe in for example. I don't think they should make that decision or even be influenced by their parents whatsoever until they are at least high school age maybe even older.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 6:48:10 PM
At 5/6/2011 6:46:14 PM, abirenbaum wrote:

I agree with you that they should all be introduced so that they can decide on their own what to believe, but how can they make a rational decision when they are so young. A little kid is going to choose a belief system using poor methods such as which belief system do their friends believe in for example. I don't think they should make that decision or even be influenced by their parents whatsoever until they are at least high school age maybe even older.

Which is why you also have to teach them to make their own decisions free of peer pressure.
abirenbaum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 6:57:01 PM
At 5/6/2011 6:48:10 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/6/2011 6:46:14 PM, abirenbaum wrote:

Which is why you also have to teach them to make their own decisions free of peer pressure.

And what about parent pressure? I firmly believe that any fundamentalist Christian on this website could have been a fundamentalist Muslim or Jew if that was the way they were raised?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 7:05:32 PM
At 5/6/2011 6:57:01 PM, abirenbaum wrote:
At 5/6/2011 6:48:10 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

And what about parent pressure? I firmly believe that any fundamentalist Christian on this website could have been a fundamentalist Muslim or Jew if that was the way they were raised?

Well I accept teachings from all faiths so I would probably be one of the least biased people out there about this stuff so my children would be pretty much free to embrace whichever religion appeals to them without pressure from me. If they chose something like Scientology or Mormonism I would be curious and ask why, but it would just turn into a learning experience for me. As for the fundamentalist Christians, ironically, many of them became religious later in life rather than being raised fundamentalist, "born-agains".
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:09:58 PM
All I can do is speak from personal experience with how I feel on this topic....

My wife was raised as a baptist. She was taught from an early age what to think in the realm of God and everything else in the world. This also went for every one of her peers. They were force fed what to think and it mentally screwed them up in the long run. My wife and about 9 of her peers (maybe more), all started to feel as they got older that something was not right with what they were taught. It did not add up or make sense with how they felt about God, people, or the world around them.

To this day they still struggle deeply with the effects of what they were force fed as children. It is hard for them to think freely, without fear, because of this.

For these reasons and some other ones which I will keep to myself at the moment... I feel that children should learn and search for their personal stance with religion and god, when they feel the need, and however they see fit.

Religion and views of God should never be forced or be gained through persuasion.

It is intrusive to a child's mind and could have a very strong negative impact as the child gets older, becomes a teenager, and then turns into an adult.

This is my current stance on this topic.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:13:11 PM
Personally, I think most Christians (for example) could be Muslim or Jewish if that is the way they were brought up.:

Yeah, but what are parents supposed to do? Hide it until the child is an adult? Good luck with that.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:16:38 PM
i agree with freedo *shudder*

whenever, but make sure you introduce them to many religions (at least all the most popular ones) and let them make their own decision. also note that i am not advocating this as law, just as personal preference.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:23:07 PM
My children ask about God fairly frequently (well, no, just my daughter). She seems to believe in Jesus and I remain neutral on that subject. I don't confirm it or deny it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:31:48 PM
At 5/6/2011 8:23:07 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
My children ask about God fairly frequently (well, no, just my daughter). She seems to believe in Jesus and I remain neutral on that subject. I don't confirm it or deny it.

yet you don't sound happy about it. hehe.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 8:33:11 PM
At 5/6/2011 8:23:07 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

My half-brother has mentioned Jesus a few times as if he believes in him. Where he's being taught that I have no idea. :/