Jump to topic:

To all the Agnostics out there...

Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:55:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Since the very definition of [1] Agnostic seems to center around the fact that you aren't sure whether a specific diety exists, which specific diety would most of you Agnostics believe in, if you were to believe in a specific diety?

What I'm basically trying to figure out is, what is the diety that you are on the fence about believing, and/or are unsure of his/her/it's existence?

Would it be God?

Or something else...?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 7:59:56 AM
At 5/9/2011 7:55:27 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
Since the very definition of [1] Agnostic seems to center around the fact that you aren't sure whether a specific diety exists, which specific diety would most of you Agnostics believe in, if you were to believe in a specific diety?

What I'm basically trying to figure out is, what is the diety that you are on the fence about believing, and/or are unsure of his/her/it's existence?

Would it be God?

Or something else...?

The Christian God. I already accept that it is more probable than not the christian god exists, however, I also feel it would be intellectually dishonest to follow a god without empirical evidence.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 8:02:46 AM
However, I am a strong theist concerning my own divinity. As I am omnibadass, can channel the incomprehensible power of rock and lead an army of angsty turtle lords (I also solve crime with the help of the worlds greatest dragon detective), I believe the evidence is too much to ignore.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 12:44:40 PM
At 5/9/2011 7:55:27 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Would it be God?

Or something else...?

Well in the definition you provided it already says "...skeptical about the existence of God". As for the "on the fence" part, I'm not sure how you mean that. If you intend it as, "I want to believe but I just don't know" in a timid sort of way, then that's not what agnosticism is exactly. Alot of agnostics do want to believe, but agnosticism itself is simply acknowledging a lack of compelling evidence to indicate the existence of a god.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2011 1:46:52 PM
I'm pretty hardcore agnostic on the basis that I firmly believe both sides can't really make a case for the existence or non-existence of God(I have been called a "militant agnostic", lol) although I personally lean towards there probably being a deity myself. However, I find the idea of a deist deity to be much more plausible and frankly it's not one we can prove or disprove which is where the militant agnosticism comes in. As for the Christian God, again it's not really something we can prove or disprove although for that idea of a deity I'm probably more on the atheistic side, lol.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 6:37:46 AM
That being said you don't understand the agnosticism at all...

It isn't "I am almost a Christian" or "I am almost a Hindu"...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 8:57:24 AM
To me, the whole point of agnosticism is proffessing my ignorance. I don't know, and if you're honest (that's any atheist or theist not the OP in particular) you don't know either.

I'm a de-facto atheist really but I think so many people claim certainty about these un-knowable matters that honest people need to stand up and be proud to label themselves as agnostic.

If you're asking what kind of deity I think is more probable, then I guess something like Spinoza's concept of the universe as god.

If you're asking what appeals to me most, then I guess some kind of pagan pantheon of different Gods and Goddesses for different prurposes would be cool. I was quite interested in ancient Greek mythology as a kid.

If there is a God, I just really hope it's not that uncharismatic sociopath that Christians, Jews and Muslims worship.