It's time...

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 7:32:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/16/2011 7:27:13 PM, OreEle wrote:
Actually, it isn't time for another 4 days.

Really? I wasn't sure of the exact date...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 9:12:12 PM
http://www.debate.org...

Here is mine from last year.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 9:17:37 PM
I already drew mine last month, lol. Some people were saying it's not offensive enough, but whatever. I'm not trying be offensive, just exercise my freedom and speech and to use it as an opportunity to be artistic. ^_^
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:00:44 PM
I don't see a compelling reason to draw anything for the sake of meaningless goals. Upsetting a large group of people to prove a point that is already clear is just useless. I encourage you to let go of this and just show respect. Your right to do something does not violate your right not to do something.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:04:38 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:00:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
I don't see a compelling reason to draw anything for the sake of meaningless goals. Upsetting a large group of people to prove a point that is already clear is just useless. I encourage you to let go of this and just show respect. Your right to do something does not violate your right not to do something.

Too late, already drew mine. Mine isn't offensive though as I said, I swear. I just used it as an opportunity to be artistic more than anything.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:08:50 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:04:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Too late, already drew mine. Mine isn't offensive though as I said, I swear. I just used it as an opportunity to be artistic more than anything.
It's possible to throw it out... And being artistic means you are able to be more creative than to limit yourself to painting a very specific holy figure on a very specific date.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:13:05 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:08:50 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/16/2011 10:04:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It's possible to throw it out... And being artistic means you are able to be more creative than to limit yourself to painting a very specific holy figure on a very specific date.

I realize that depicting him in any way is offensive to Muslims, but my picture is really well done so I doubt I'm throwing it out.

Oops, depicting him isn't completely offensive: http://www.bible-quran.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:16:39 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:13:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I realize that depicting him in any way is offensive to Muslims, but my picture is really well done so I doubt I'm throwing it out.
Whatever, you can do better I'm sure. Draw an island...

That is his name, not his body.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:19:29 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:16:39 PM, Mirza wrote:

Whatever, you can do better I'm sure. Draw an island...

Nah, I'm terrible at drawing landscapes.

That is his name, not his body.

That was the point. :P It's not completely forbidden to depict him...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:22:12 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:19:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nah, I'm terrible at drawing landscapes.
Cars? Clothes?

That was the point. :P It's not completely forbidden to depict him...
But it is not him. It is just his name in Arabic that is resized and beautified.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:25:33 PM
I don't find my picture to be particularly offensive.

If I do decide to draw another pic for this years draw Mohammed day, I don't plan on making it crass or anything.

Just, you know.. It's Mohammed. The whole point of not drawing him is to avoid turning him into an idol, which Muslims have already done by considering his words the word of god.

Considering all the sh!t that the Koran talks in the first surah about Jews and Christians(which is all right on, by the way), it seems to be completely unaware of it's own hypocrisy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:28:58 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:25:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Just, you know.. It's Mohammed. The whole point of not drawing him is to avoid turning him into an idol, which Muslims have already done by considering his words the word of god.

To be fair, that would only be true if they actually worshipped the Qur'an which they don't nor do they worship Muhammad so really Islam is one of the religions with the least amount of idol worship. Others have people praying to statues and such.

*inb4 somebody says Muslims worship the Kaaba*
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:40:40 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:28:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/16/2011 10:25:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

To be fair, that would only be true if they actually worshipped the Qur'an which they don't nor do they worship Muhammad so really Islam is one of the religions with the least amount of idol worship. Others have people praying to statues and such.

*inb4 somebody says Muslims worship the Kaaba*

Just because they don't have a lot of idol worshiping doesn't mean they still don't do it.

They may not worship Jesus as God, and they may deny it, but setting any text aside as the special word of God is idolatry.

Idolatry is defined by merriam-webster as being "Immoderate attachment or devotion to something". To set something aside as the literal and direct word of God is clearly idolatry, though most Muslims would not realize this, as Allah has set a seal upon their hearts.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 4:08:05 AM
I can no longer, in good conscience, participate in draw Mohammed Day.

I terribly offended friends of mine with pictures of Jesus and lost my closeness with them because of it.

I don't want to offend anyone anymore.

Making people angry never solved anything, anyway.

A lot of this is just Islamophobia.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 4:45:37 AM
At 5/17/2011 4:08:05 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I terribly offended friends of mine with pictures of Jesus and lost my closeness with them because of it.

You're such a great person.. I really admire your sensitivity..

(lowest form of wit? NEVER!)
The Cross.. the Cross.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:59:55 PM

It has become that, but that not what it started as. I remember people were actually complaining about that last year how it has become Islamophobic.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:52:31 AM

I second that.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:57:33 AM

You of all people should know that Islam is the religious embodiment of the curse of the grey face.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 2:01:18 AM
Upsetting a large group of people to prove a point that is already clear is just useless. I encourage you to let go of this and just show respect.

I don't respect threats against southpark or mandatory censorship that cartoons are required to go through out of fear.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 11:25:09 AM
no answer to this?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 11:49:20 AM
At 5/18/2011 2:01:18 AM, askbob wrote:
Upsetting a large group of people to prove a point that is already clear is just useless. I encourage you to let go of this and just show respect.

I don't respect threats against southpark or mandatory censorship that cartoons are required to go through out of fear.

I do not support vigilante action. I do think that their should be a rule outlawing it as it causes emotional trauma.

But whether a rule is there or not - you can choose not to do it.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 2:14:59 PM
If you don't mind...

Veridas 1 year ago:
Ok, alright, do me a favour, find an Atlas, ok? Find America, ok, imagine America is where my point is, ok? Now find Uzbekistan, now figure out the distance.

That distance is how far off you are from the point I was making.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 8:02:22 PM
At 5/18/2011 11:49:20 AM, baggins wrote:

I do not support vigilante action. I do think that their should be a rule outlawing it as it causes emotional trauma.

But whether a rule is there or not - you can choose not to do it.

There should be a rule outlawing cartoons.

You seriously didn't just say that
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:15:34 AM
I don't see a compelling reason to draw anything for the sake of meaningless goals.
Do you find the fight for freedom of expression meaningless? The episodes featuring Muhammad don't actually have anything to do with Islam. The "Super Friends" episode is having a go at Scientology. Muhammad helps save the day with Jesus, Buddha and Joseph Smith among others. Cartoon Wars is flat out about censorship. 201 is also flat out about censorship.

Upsetting a large group of people to prove a point that is already clear is just useless.

If the point was clear, the people wouldn't get upset. They must learn that their beliefs are not automatically excluded from scrutiny or ridicule simply because they value them highly and they MUST learn reacting with violence will only hurt their cause.

I encourage you to let go of this and just show respect. Your right to do something does not violate your right not to do something.

I am showing my respect... to the writers of South Park and to Thunderf00t. I don't respect your beliefs or anyone else's by default. You must prove to me that they are worthy of respect. I don't see "Don't draw a picture of Muhammad" as a belief worth respecting.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:41:58 PM
At 5/19/2011 12:15:34 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Do you find the fight for freedom of expression meaningless? The episodes featuring Muhammad don't actually have anything to do with Islam. The "Super Friends" episode is having a go at Scientology. Muhammad helps save the day with Jesus, Buddha and Joseph Smith among others. Cartoon Wars is flat out about censorship. 201 is also flat out about censorship.
I am morally against blasphemy of any kind, a view I share with my religion. I am against making fun of Islamic Prophet(s) probably as much as I am against making fun of prophets of other religions. I do not find the fight for freedom of expression meaningless. In fact, Islam teaches us that if we are not ashamed of speaking voidly, then we should do so. We will all be judged in the end. But childish ways of fighting for something is not what I will ever support.

If the point was clear, the people wouldn't get upset. They must learn that their beliefs are not automatically excluded from scrutiny or ridicule simply because they value them highly and they MUST learn reacting with violence will only hurt their cause.
Irrelevant. People will always be outraged at certain things. To keep spilling oil on the fire does not help anyone.

I am showing my respect... to the writers of South Park and to Thunderf00t. I don't respect your beliefs or anyone else's by default. You must prove to me that they are worthy of respect. I don't see "Don't draw a picture of Muhammad" as a belief worth respecting.
Don't upset people who have not supported violence, that is what respect is about in this case. I am against the drawings, I find them to be stupid, but I am not supporting violence. That is why I am saying that just because a small group of people react too violently does not mean that you have to persist in what you do. What you are trying to do is similar to me trying to burn a person's skin until he feels enormous pain. But after a while he will not feel the pain even if I keep on burning the same spot on the skin, so my attempt to let him realize what pain is by persisting in burning his skin will eventually fail. You do the same, you keep outraging certain people until they realize that what they do is over the limits. Eventually they will feel no sense of sympathy for anyone.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:50:03 PM
I find it hilarious how hard Mirza was trying to get INH to change her picture from something other than Mouhammed. I'm in the middle of drawing mine.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.