Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 8:26:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here's a thought:

What is the soul?
OT verses...
Genesis 2:7: "then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."
Ecclesiastes 12:7: "...and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it."

More importantly, NT verses:
1 Corinthians 15:45: "Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit."

Also, here is what Google says:
Soul
1. The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.
2. A person's moral or emotional nature or sense of identity.

It is relatively difficult to argue that you are not a product of your senses and your brain. We know that without a nose, we cannot smell. We know that if a certain part of our brains is affected, it can drastically effect our character.

So I ask you: is the soul still 'us', despite 'who we are' being defined by our brains and senses, or is it just a copy of what we were in life, not the original?
(No false dichotomy; please help me understand.)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 9:09:46 PM
At 5/18/2011 8:26:36 PM, tvellalott wrote:

It is relatively difficult to argue that you are not a product of your senses and your brain. We know that without a nose, we cannot smell. We know that if a certain part of our brains is affected, it can drastically effect our character.

So I ask you: is the soul still 'us', despite 'who we are' being defined by our brains and senses, or is it just a copy of what we were in life, not the original?

I was having a similar discussion with my wife. There was a split brain patient where one side of the brain was a theist, the other an atheist.

So... Does that person go to Hell?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 7:13:50 PM
At 5/18/2011 9:09:46 PM, Meatros wrote:

I was having a similar discussion with my wife. There was a split brain patient where one side of the brain was a theist, the other an atheist.

So... Does that person go to Hell?

Maybe, maybe not. Salvation in christian theology really isn't that simple despite what others may say.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 7:28:49 PM
There is no eternal soul of the individual. There is only one cosmic soul. You can call it god if you want.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 8:14:39 AM
Here's a thought:

What is the soul?
OT verses...
Genesis 2:7: "then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."
Ecclesiastes 12:7: "...and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it."

1 Corinthians 15:45: "Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit."

Soul
1. The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

We are not (according to me) wholly defined by our body; furthermore, that which isn't defined by our physicality is what I call: "soul".
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
pcp1976
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 11:02:40 AM
At 5/20/2011 8:14:39 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
Here's a thought:

What is the soul?
OT verses...

Soul

We are not (according to me) wholly defined by our body; furthermore, that which isn't defined by our physicality is what I call: "soul".

From my perspective, defining 'soul' as 'that which isn't defined by our physicality' would lead me to reason that the term 'soul' has no meaning.