Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How People Twist Religion

TheLaw
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 8:49:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Haven't posted in a while but I decided I'd make a return.

I've noticed while reading articles and comments over the Internet, I found a lot of Atheists saying that religion is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened in our world such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. However, I seldom see people take into account that people contort and twist things into their own liking. Religion itself has good intentions, however, Man has changed it into their own evil ways as we are sinful in nature.

Additionally, Man has twisted other things to their liking. For example, for you Atheists, Charles Darwin founded the basic foundation for the theory of evolution. Around the late nineteenth century, another principle was based off of Charles Darwin's research called Social Darwinism. Social Darwinism promotes "Survival of the fittest" which would ultimately be used to justify imperialism in Africa and would bring the whole continent into disarray. All because of Charles Dawrin's theory, correct? Wrong. It's how people decided to contort his research into their own evil likings that breeded African Imperialism.

No one is perfect and we are all sinful in nature. Man try to change things into their own likings to gain power, fame, or other reasons. Why can't people accept that religion has been attacked and twisted into the likings of people who try to lead it to evil? Thoughts?
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 8:53:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 8:49:28 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Haven't posted in a while but I decided I'd make a return.

I've noticed while reading articles and comments over the Internet, I found a lot of Atheists saying that religion is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened in our world such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. However, I seldom see people take into account that people contort and twist things into their own liking. Religion itself has good intentions, however, Man has changed it into their own evil ways as we are sinful in nature.

Additionally, Man has twisted other things to their liking. For example, for you Atheists, Charles Darwin founded the basic foundation for the theory of evolution. Around the late nineteenth century, another principle was based off of Charles Darwin's research called Social Darwinism. Social Darwinism promotes "Survival of the fittest" which would ultimately be used to justify imperialism in Africa and would bring the whole continent into disarray. All because of Charles Dawrin's theory, correct? Wrong. It's how people decided to contort his research into their own evil likings that breeded African Imperialism.

No one is perfect and we are all sinful in nature. Man try to change things into their own likings to gain power, fame, or other reasons. Why can't people accept that religion has been attacked and twisted into the likings of people who try to lead it to evil? Thoughts?

Remember that the form of religion used by people to do evil is still religion. In the bible the people of God often committed many atrocities in the name of religion so it is not completely surprising that we see people committing atrocities in the name of Christianity.
Phoenix_Reaper
Posts: 318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 9:00:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If these idiots I mean respectful people actually believed in the Bible than those people would follow it literally at all times, oh and actually read it themselves. The reason so much of it is mislead to abuse is because people interpret it. Leaving a belief open ended is just asking for trouble and to be abused.

Those who interpret it other than literally and just changing it to their views thus corrupting it. To further my point allowing these ideas to spread so easily and differently creates more diverse beliefs about THE SAME friggen thing thus creating more conflict.

It is a joke.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 9:02:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 8:49:28 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Haven't posted in a while but I decided I'd make a return.

I've noticed while reading articles and comments over the Internet, I found a lot of Atheists saying that religion is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened in our world such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. However, I seldom see people take into account that people contort and twist things into their own liking. Religion itself has good intentions, however, Man has changed it into their own evil ways as we are sinful in nature.

Additionally, Man has twisted other things to their liking. For example, for you Atheists, Charles Darwin founded the basic foundation for the theory of evolution. Around the late nineteenth century, another principle was based off of Charles Darwin's research called Social Darwinism. Social Darwinism promotes "Survival of the fittest" which would ultimately be used to justify imperialism in Africa and would bring the whole continent into disarray. All because of Charles Dawrin's theory, correct? Wrong. It's how people decided to contort his research into their own evil likings that breeded African Imperialism.

No one is perfect and we are all sinful in nature. Man try to change things into their own likings to gain power, fame, or other reasons. Why can't people accept that religion has been attacked and twisted into the likings of people who try to lead it to evil? Thoughts?

Yahweh himself committed many violent and brutal atrocities.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

/End Thread
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:23:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 8:49:28 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Haven't posted in a while but I decided I'd make a return.

I've noticed while reading articles and comments over the Internet, I found a lot of Atheists saying that religion is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened in our world such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. However, I seldom see people take into account that people contort and twist things into their own liking. Religion itself has good intentions, however, Man has changed it into their own evil ways as we are sinful in nature.

Additionally, Man has twisted other things to their liking. For example, for you Atheists, Charles Darwin founded the basic foundation for the theory of evolution. Around the late nineteenth century, another principle was based off of Charles Darwin's research called Social Darwinism. Social Darwinism promotes "Survival of the fittest" which would ultimately be used to justify imperialism in Africa and would bring the whole continent into disarray. All because of Charles Dawrin's theory, correct? Wrong. It's how people decided to contort his research into their own evil likings that breeded African Imperialism.

No one is perfect and we are all sinful in nature. Man try to change things into their own likings to gain power, fame, or other reasons. Why can't people accept that religion has been attacked and twisted into the likings of people who try to lead it to evil? Thoughts?

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. 2 Chronicles 15:12

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. Deuteronomy 13:7

The twisting that is going on, is not from the nonbelievers, but from the believers. Christians are the ones twisting the bible, not the atheists.

Your argument fails. But nice try.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:40:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 9:00:22 PM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:
If these idiots I mean respectful people actually believed in the Bible than those people would follow it literally at all times, oh and actually read it themselves. The reason so much of it is mislead to abuse is because people interpret it. Leaving a belief open ended is just asking for trouble and to be abused.

Those who interpret it other than literally and just changing it to their views thus corrupting it. To further my point allowing these ideas to spread so easily and differently creates more diverse beliefs about THE SAME friggen thing thus creating more conflict.

It is a joke.

Hi there, I am a Christian.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:42:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/18/2011 9:02:28 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/18/2011 8:49:28 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Haven't posted in a while but I decided I'd make a return.

I've noticed while reading articles and comments over the Internet, I found a lot of Atheists saying that religion is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened in our world such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. However, I seldom see people take into account that people contort and twist things into their own liking. Religion itself has good intentions, however, Man has changed it into their own evil ways as we are sinful in nature.

Additionally, Man has twisted other things to their liking. For example, for you Atheists, Charles Darwin founded the basic foundation for the theory of evolution. Around the late nineteenth century, another principle was based off of Charles Darwin's research called Social Darwinism. Social Darwinism promotes "Survival of the fittest" which would ultimately be used to justify imperialism in Africa and would bring the whole continent into disarray. All because of Charles Dawrin's theory, correct? Wrong. It's how people decided to contort his research into their own evil likings that breeded African Imperialism.

No one is perfect and we are all sinful in nature. Man try to change things into their own likings to gain power, fame, or other reasons. Why can't people accept that religion has been attacked and twisted into the likings of people who try to lead it to evil? Thoughts?

Yahweh himself committed many violent and brutal atrocities.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

/End Thread

You still haven't changed your beliefs? LOL
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:45:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I find it funny that people will advocate a literalist interpretation when a good majority of the New Testament is about understanding the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:00:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 11:45:06 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I find it funny that people will advocate a literalist interpretation when a good majority of the New Testament is about understanding the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.

Yes, which is evidently why Jesus prayed for the jews whos hands were changing money in the temple, instead of charging in, flipping over tables, and slapping around a hand-made scourge.

Oh wait! Thats not what happened at all.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:20:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 12:00:18 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 5/19/2011 11:45:06 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I find it funny that people will advocate a literalist interpretation when a good majority of the New Testament is about understanding the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.

Yes, which is evidently why Jesus prayed for the jews whos hands were changing money in the temple, instead of charging in, flipping over tables, and slapping around a hand-made scourge.

Oh wait! Thats not what happened at all.

No one knows what happened, dumb @ss, If it happened, it was over 2,000 years ago, and the books were written by non-eye witnesses.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:24:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

You know, just so you are aware.

You don't need to be a complete ignorant boob and interpret scripture like a 10 year old chimp with downs syndrome who works for Fox News to dismiss the bible as not being the word of God.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:30:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 12:20:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 5/19/2011 12:00:18 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 5/19/2011 11:45:06 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I find it funny that people will advocate a literalist interpretation when a good majority of the New Testament is about understanding the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.

Yes, which is evidently why Jesus prayed for the jews whos hands were changing money in the temple, instead of charging in, flipping over tables, and slapping around a hand-made scourge.

Oh wait! Thats not what happened at all.

No one knows what happened, dumb @ss, If it happened, it was over 2,000 years ago, and the books were written by non-eye witnesses.

Right, no one knows what happened, including whether or not Jesus stressed following the spirit of the law, or whether he stressed following the literal translation of the law... Thanks for proving my point.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:34:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 12:24:29 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Also, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

You know, just so you are aware.

You don't need to be a complete ignorant boob and interpret scripture like a 10 year old chimp with downs syndrome who works for Fox News to dismiss the bible as not being the word of God.

Also, that had everything to do with what i said. What i said was demonstrating the difference between spirit and reality. Instead of literally and physically charging in, Jesus coudlve just prayed and hoped that the spirit of the jews would see their mistakes and go home. But what did he do, instead?

You dont need to be a retarded zombie robot and interpret scripture like a fundy christian redneck with down syndrome who works for Fox News to interpret the bible correctly.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:02:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's a common re-occuring theme throughout the New Testament.

I'm not proving your point, you're just being a dumb @ss.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
TheLaw
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:08:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
@Dan4reason: A lot of Bible verses are misinterpreted and used wrongly in order to justify something wrong. By appealing to a group of people something that they believe strongly in (religion) you can manipulate them into doing wrong things in the name of religion. That doesn't mean at all that religion itself is evil. Additionally, I've come to learn that over the long period of time that the Bible has continued to be translated and translated, words will be lost. Lost words can breed misinterpretation.

@Phoenix_reaper: Have you ever realized that people could just purposefully misinterpret something for their own evil ambitions/goals? People want power and other things. This is due to the fact that we are sinful in nature. So obviously this type of stuff will happen.

@tkubok: Where did I say in my opening post that Atheists were responsible for twisting religion. If you can find that for me I'd greatly appreciate that. For now though, your argument completely fails because the point of this thread was to say how people try to twist the words of the Bible or the words of other religions (That means they are part of the religion, their NOT Atheists). They use this for their own evil ways which cause Atheists to stray away from religion in the first place. I used the example of Social Darwinism to show how people twisted Charles Darwin's ideas. Do you get it now?

@CosmicAlfanzo: Nice posts, the New Testament does advocate this, yet no one ever wants to mention the New Testament for some reason, they always like talking about the Old Testament...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:15:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My point being, whether or not Jesus even existed as a human being(it is irrelevant), this was clearly something that was understood in the early church, and it has been canonized in the New Testament.

You can argue all you want, but it's all over the New Testament.

Seriously, half the sh!t written in the gospels alone makes no god damn sense if you have a literalist interpretation. Jesus speaks in fvcking parables have the time.

Biblical literalists are stupid. Atheist or Christian, they are missing the point. Literal interpretation makes good propaganda fodder, and that is it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 8:08:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:08:18 PM, TheLaw wrote:
@tkubok: Where did I say in my opening post that Atheists were responsible for twisting religion. If you can find that for me I'd greatly appreciate that. For now though, your argument completely fails because the point of this thread was to say how people try to twist the words of the Bible or the words of other religions (That means they are part of the religion, their NOT Atheists). They use this for their own evil ways which cause Atheists to stray away from religion in the first place. I used the example of Social Darwinism to show how people twisted Charles Darwin's ideas. Do you get it now?
Sorry, i thought you were implying that both sides were doing the twisting, since you specifically mentioned how Atheists were also twisting darwinism.

In any case, here is why my argument does not fail in the least. When i said that theists, christians were doing the twisting, i was not talking about the christians who you consider were twisting the words of the bible to fit their evil agendas. I was referring to you, and the christians who believe that the bible is only about peace and not violence. The passages that i quoted are direct, DIRECT mind you, orders from God, and nowhere, NOWHERE in the new testament does Jesus EVER abolish ALL the laws. In classic Christianity, the ONLY laws that were abolished were the sacrificial laws, otherwise there would be a CONTRADICTION as to when Yahweh claimed that these laws will NEVER be abolished and that they would stay for eternity.

You may see people who executed Witches, as evil and twisting the words of the bible, when infact it is the opposite. This is my point, and this is why my argument does not fail. But yours still kinda does, sorry to tell you.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 8:16:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:02:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It's a common re-occuring theme throughout the New Testament.

I'm not proving your point, you're just being a dumb @ss.

I know its a re-occuring theme throughout the new testament. How does that make it somehow more important than the literal interpretation of the bible?

Maybe you didnt know, but "The spirit is important" does not = "The spirit of the law is more important than the literal laws".
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 1:40:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 8:16:05 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:02:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It's a common re-occuring theme throughout the New Testament.

I'm not proving your point, you're just being a dumb @ss.

I know its a re-occuring theme throughout the new testament. How does that make it somehow more important than the literal interpretation of the bible?

Maybe you didnt know, but "The spirit is important" does not = "The spirit of the law is more important than the literal laws".

The letter of the law killeth, you know, but the spirit of the law giveth life.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 2:48:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A lower religiosity rate in a country correlates with:
A lower divorce rate.
A lower murder rate.
A lower theft rate.
A lower abortion rate.
Higher personal freedom.
A more generous welfare system.
A higher rate of life-satisfaction.
A higher IQ.

You tell me who twists things.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:15:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/20/2011 2:48:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lower religiosity rate in a country correlates with:
A lower divorce rate.
A lower murder rate.
A lower theft rate.
A lower abortion rate.
Higher personal freedom.
A more generous welfare system.
A higher rate of life-satisfaction.
A higher IQ.

You tell me who twists things.

Where did you get these statistics?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 7:35:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/20/2011 1:40:25 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 5/19/2011 8:16:05 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:02:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It's a common re-occuring theme throughout the New Testament.

I'm not proving your point, you're just being a dumb @ss.

I know its a re-occuring theme throughout the new testament. How does that make it somehow more important than the literal interpretation of the bible?

Maybe you didnt know, but "The spirit is important" does not = "The spirit of the law is more important than the literal laws".


The letter of the law killeth, you know, but the spirit of the law giveth life.

Yes, quote paul, but im talking about Jesus christ. I have quite a few problems with the pauline epistles being considered as cannon, but in any case, I was talking about Jesus, and my example included Jesus not paul, so yeah.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 3:32:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Jesus constantly got in trouble for doing things contrary to the letter of the law.. Like wiping his @ss on the sabbath, and other such things.

It's all in the gospels themselves, man. It's a commonly re-occurring theme, and Paul is not off on this.

Jesus' entire ministry is practically built on getting people to understand the spirit of the law rather than the letter.

This is such a pervading message in the New Testament that the only way you could possibly advocate a literalist interpretation is if you have no fvcking idea what you are talking about.

This is why bible thumpers and self proclaimed literalists are complete dipsh!ts. This is the reason why atheists who use their ignorance of the bible to slam it are wasting their time.

Honestly, the best thing you can do as a non-christian is get Christians to actually understand their own fuggin religion. You aren't going to do this by reminding them of all the genocide and moral douche baggary present in the Old Testament. You aren't going to do this by taking scriptures out of context, and twisting the sh!t out of them to back something that is clearly not in the text.

If Christians actually understood their religion, they wouldn't come across as being hopeless fools. The problem is, they listen to preachers who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. These preachers, before they became preachers, listened to preachers who had no idea what they are talking about. Then religion promotes this patently moronic concept of what faith is supposed to be, and brainwashes people into believing in the stupidest things without much thought.

When Christianity is interpreted correctly, there is nothing stupid or harmful about it. When Christianity is interpreted correctly, it doesn't even resemble Christianity, and most churches would consider you an apostate or a heretic

If you combat ignorance with more ignorance, you are part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem. I'm sure you don't want to be.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:56:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The bible proposes that people should be more like God... But the god in the bible commits genocide, supports rape, judges people harshly for using the free will that He supposedly gave them, supports slavery, supports physical abuse, and countless other negative qualities or actions...

I don't care if you take it literally or metaphorically... It is a twisted negative religion which makes God into a dictator.

The God in the bible will never be my God.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:07:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 3:32:02 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Jesus constantly got in trouble for doing things contrary to the letter of the law.. Like wiping his @ss on the sabbath, and other such things.
No, When asked about, for example, picking up stuff to eat as a violation of the sabbath, Jesus replied that he was violating the tradition passed down by the jews, and not the law itself. Jesus claimed that preists who sacrifice in the temple on the sabbath were also doing work, but because it was for the temple, they were not punished, and that what Jesus and his Disciples were doing, was similar to that, and therefore not sinful or against the law or anything.
It's all in the gospels themselves, man. It's a commonly re-occurring theme, and Paul is not off on this.

No, not really. There are no Laws that Jesus actually contradicts. He follows and abides by them fully.

Jesus' entire ministry is practically built on getting people to understand the spirit of the law rather than the letter.
Again, we have no example of Jesus doing or saying such a thing, and every example of Jesus saying and doing the exact opposite.
This is such a pervading message in the New Testament that the only way you could possibly advocate a literalist interpretation is if you have no fvcking idea what you are talking about.

This is why bible thumpers and self proclaimed literalists are complete dipsh!ts. This is the reason why atheists who use their ignorance of the bible to slam it are wasting their time.
It appears that you are more ignorant of the bible than me.
Honestly, the best thing you can do as a non-christian is get Christians to actually understand their own fuggin religion. You aren't going to do this by reminding them of all the genocide and moral douche baggary present in the Old Testament. You aren't going to do this by taking scriptures out of context, and twisting the sh!t out of them to back something that is clearly not in the text.
Understand their own religion, or understand the religion to which you prescribe? Because, guess what, ignoring the genocide and moral douche baggery does not somehow make it dissapear.

And i am sick and tired of accusations of atheists who take scripture out of context. This accusation is utter bullsh*t, as "out of context" can mean anything to which you do not prescribe to.

If you want me to fvckin quote the sh*t out of the bible to show you that it is clearly in the text, just ask for it and you shall receive. But dont act as hough it isnt there, and dont try to justify it as "Oh, youre not interpreting it correctly" bullsh*t.
If Christians actually understood their religion, they wouldn't come across as being hopeless fools. The problem is, they listen to preachers who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. These preachers, before they became preachers, listened to preachers who had no idea what they are talking about. Then religion promotes this patently moronic concept of what faith is supposed to be, and brainwashes people into believing in the stupidest things without much thought.
No, the problem is that the non-hopeless fools are actually ignoring a good chunk of the bible in order for their beliefs to fit a more modern, secular view.

Thats fine, and id rather have a christian who ignores half the bible than a christian who supports the entire bible, but dont go around acting as though they are the ones who are ignoring the majority of the bible, when infact you are doing much, much worse in terms of the amount you are ignoring.
When Christianity is interpreted correctly, there is nothing stupid or harmful about it. When Christianity is interpreted correctly, it doesn't even resemble Christianity, and most churches would consider you an apostate or a heretic

If you combat ignorance with more ignorance, you are part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem. I'm sure you don't want to be.

Yes, and when the Nazi doctrine is interpreted correctly, there is nothing stupid or harmful about it, too. You can "Interpret" anything to make it harmless. One of the greatest example that comes to mind, is the Iran Contra and Ronald Regan. When the CIA helped the Contra rebels by sending them a pamphlet on how to "Neutralize" court judges, police officials, etc for psychological effect, the newspaper questioned Regan about whether the CIA endorsed assassination. Regan, of course, said that it was just a misinterpretation. Of course, the press broke out into laughter when they heard it, because its absurd, especially when the section was under the heading "Selective Use of Violence for Propagandistic Effects".
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:13:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 2:56:52 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
The bible proposes that people should be more like God... But the god in the bible commits genocide, supports rape, judges people harshly for using the free will that He supposedly gave them, supports slavery, supports physical abuse, and countless other negative qualities or actions...

I don't care if you take it literally or metaphorically... It is a twisted negative religion which makes God into a dictator.

The God in the bible will never be my God.

God is a dictator. You have absolutely no choice but to submit, whether you like it or not. If you didn't submit, the fabric of reality would rip, and we'd all die a horrible fiery death that would be visible from.... er... well, I guess no where, because it would all be gone.

God does a lot of things that people consider to be terrible, and God does a lot of things that people consider to be good.. In fact, God has done EVERYTHING that people consider to be terrible, and God has done EVERYTHING that people consider to be good. God does it all.

One thing God does not do is speak to people through human language. Not unless you are willing to admit that every single word uttered, and every single word written is also word of God. Unless you are willing to accept that later truth, the former truth is absurd, and a form of idolatry.

Sure, technically you could blame God for just about EVERYTHING. Doing so pretty much makes assigning blame irrelevant.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:39:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 4:07:48 PM, tkubok wrote:
blah blah, long ranty post.

I never claimed that the bible was an efficient means of delivering the message. I'm just saying that those who are serious about their religion, study dutifully, and do so while guided by the holy spirit(Which is intellectual integrity), will get themselves out of that mess.

Also, if you are denying the importance of context when dealing with writing or sayings of any type, you're an idiot. Just look at the stupid things Geo comes up with when he tries to show that the bible says that God doesn't exist. Look at how him and others will take the part about "Jesus coming to not bring peace, but a sword" as evidence that Jesus was a violent @sshole who taught a message of war.

Context is a lot more important than you think.. Unless of course, your goal is just to spread propaganda through the use of ignorance to get people to see it from your view.

The funny thing is, you are arguing with me as if I am a Christian. I am NOT a Christian. I'm just pointing out the very true fact that you aren't going to get anywhere with a Christian by being misleading about their scriptures.

If you are going to debate scripture, you are attacking the wrong mental layer. You falling into the trap of debating scripture instead of doing the intelligent thing, which is making them question why they should believe any of that impossible horse sh!t to begin with. If it is impossible to reach the proper mental layer, and you have to fight them on biblical grounds, you better understand the bible. If you understand the things in the bible that are taught in the New Testament, everything else unravels, and this is what I am saying.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:52:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 4:39:09 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Let me avoid replying to most of your comments because ive noticed how i have failed but am too cowardly and embarrassed to admit it.

I know what you meant to say, and im telling you youre wrong. Most preists who went to decent seminary schools, know that the bible contains conradictions, supports violence, etc etc, but write it off as just having faith. But atleast they admit, and accept the problems in their bibles. Most of what you said regarding the spirit of the law, peace, etc, could only come from a christian who was truly ignorant of their bible and its history.

Also, im not denying that context matters, it does. But you cant chalk it all up to context, because in many cases, we have the right context. When Jesus said that he brings a sword, not peace, Jesus is talking about how he will be inciting strife and war. It doesnt mean that Jesus Himself will be going around killing people, but i would say that someone who knowingly incites violence, is the same as someone who is violent himself.

I never said you were a christian. Infact, i couldnt care less. You said some stupid things, and im talking to you as if you had said those stupid things. Sorry to crush your ego.

Also, I probably know more about the bible than you do. In any case, what i discussed with you, WAS a discussion about why or how someone could believe in contradictions. And yes, incase you didnt know, a contradiction is something that is impossible.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:13:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 4:13:27 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 5/21/2011 2:56:52 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
The bible proposes that people should be more like God... But the god in the bible commits genocide, supports rape, judges people harshly for using the free will that He supposedly gave them, supports slavery, supports physical abuse, and countless other negative qualities or actions...

I don't care if you take it literally or metaphorically... It is a twisted negative religion which makes God into a dictator.

The God in the bible will never be my God.

God is a dictator. You have absolutely no choice but to submit, whether you like it or not. If you didn't submit, the fabric of reality would rip, and we'd all die a horrible fiery death that would be visible from.... er... well, I guess no where, because it would all be gone.

God does a lot of things that people consider to be terrible, and God does a lot of things that people consider to be good.. In fact, God has done EVERYTHING that people consider to be terrible, and God has done EVERYTHING that people consider to be good. God does it all.

One thing God does not do is speak to people through human language. Not unless you are willing to admit that every single word uttered, and every single word written is also word of God. Unless you are willing to accept that later truth, the former truth is absurd, and a form of idolatry.

Sure, technically you could blame God for just about EVERYTHING. Doing so pretty much makes assigning blame irrelevant.

You are wrong my friend. We have free will and through that free will we can shape our reality. The bible takes away free will and shapes people's reality for them. It creates a harsh reality where God is more evil (evil as it stands in the english dictionary) than good.

To me... God is the original Consciousness. The original consciousness that created another consciousness from itself through some spiritual ability that I can not understand at this point in my existence. Each existence is in control over it's own destiny through free will and shall be judged by all other conscious energies. I don't feel that God places much importance in the petty beliefs or rituals of mankind. It is not going to hurt God in any way, shape, or form with how you live or what you believe. God has no reason to send people to hell or judge them. God has it's own mistakes and skeletons in the closet I'm sure. You can't truly know everything unless you have made every mistake possible. Once, you have done this..you would have no grounds to judge harshly..only to help other conscious energies learn how to grow and become more enlightened.

This is some of my belief system.

God will be mad if you don't follow the bible? Why? Why would God be mad? There is probably millions of other planets like earth out there in the universe. It is both logically and mathematically more probable than not.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 5:23:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/20/2011 2:48:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lower religiosity rate in a country correlates with:
A lower divorce rate.
A lower murder rate.
A lower theft rate.
A lower abortion rate.
Higher personal freedom.
A more generous welfare system.
A higher rate of life-satisfaction.
A higher IQ.

You tell me who twists things.

Obviously, things are as simple as you say.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ