Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Debating Religion Waste of Time?

Aceviper2011
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 12:48:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I believe debates on religion are a waste of time trying to prove something wrong and right, questioning peoples own beliefs when it states in the constitution that we have the freedom of religion.

why waste our time debating religion?
-I'll tell you why, People want to make statements, prove religion is not real, that there is no God, or creation is not real. Then we have the other side Evolution is not real, man did not involved from apes. God is real and had a son that soon shall return to destroy the earth with fire not water. That the bible is Gods word and law that we shall all abide and follow his word of holy greatness and power.

Like i said why waste your time to try and prove one another wrong, were are you really getting at by who is right and wrong. Let me ask the non believers have you ever seen God or lived the big bang theory or lived in the past when jesus walked the earth. What if God created the big bang theory, not only that how do you know that we are not created by God, just because some scientist said so, or jsut because nothing great that was good that happen in your life came by god, or when you screamed out for help God was not there. So now you got to try and take faith and God away from believers by proving what, that people can not have a faith or a God just to make you happy. Have you ever really thought hey maybe the bible is just life lessons to keep order yea there aren't reasons in these stories but who is it to say people cant have faith and believe in something with great power.

Now as for the believers why argue with the non believers let them be who they are if they do not believe in soemthing great then let them not believe, its a choice. What are we trying to prove to the none believers that God is the only one and if your not saved then you burn after life, what if you do not have to be saved to go to heaven. The non believers some what have a point about religion if we are such great believers in God and if God hates killing why do we kill just because someone does not believe remember the cruasade. Do you think hunting so call witches was Gods plan to crusify them on the cross for what they believed in. Have you ever thought God gave us minds to think differently and be more open minded about many possibilities. If we are christians and hard believers why do we fight so hard to convert people agaisnt there will, and say things well your going to Hell if you do not come to our side. Also why are there so many different religion branches off of one tree, why do we need nice buildings and equipment only to praise the lord and preach. Look at who we became, what if God is looking down in dissappointment at how religion is these days. About the bible what if like i said there guidence to a better life, oh and how can believers pass judgement to those who do not believe who gave us that right to judge, not God. How do you know if everything were doing is right, what if its wrong how do you really know the truth about the bible were any of us alive them times no we do not know anything, what if all is opposite then what were doing.

my last thoughts:
So to sit here and try and prove believers and non wrong or right, I have news were all in the wrong. Were looking at everything different, what if this is that and that is this. How can anyone sit there and say something is wrong when they do not know. Religion all it really does is give people hope and somthing to believe in. just like all the non believers they are a religion since they all have a belief in something. So we all will never know any truth to anything about religion untill the after life.

My beliefs is that there is a God, I no christian nor catholic, I am my own person no follower of what man says for they are not God and I have no proof to believe what they say is true when God should tell us all not just only selective few. My God is Jesus Christ I am in no religious cult or group.

i also always wanted to say this what if we are not Gods choosen people maybe the ocean creatures are the choosen ones. Do not dissagree on what i said then you will prove my point on the bible about how do you know if God really told that person that we are the choosen people if you were not there in the same spot as that person God told. so then you would not know the truth, only sheep not sheperd who believes everything MAN says.

I LOVE YOU GOD. FORGIVE THE PEOPLE OF NON AND BELIEVERS FOR THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY DO. AND MAKE FALSE IMAGES OF YOU MY LORD ONLY WHEN THEY PASS LORD WILL ALL KNOW THE REAL HONEST TRUTH.

Warning:
so there will not being any body that will yell or anything we are intitle to our own opponions and thoughts. I have a real open logical mind. please no one get offended.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 1:57:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
People can, and do change their minds thanks to debate. I dont find it a waste of time, anymore than a christian who is sitting on the corner of the street with a Megaphone shouting that Jesus is God, thinks its a waste of time.

I dont know, for certain, that the earth is infact a sphere, but i can still sit here and tell someone who believes that the earth is flat, that they are wrong. Theres nothing wrong about telling something that their beliefs are wrong, if they are based on a contradiction of reality and science.

Apart from that, i agree. How do we know that God didnt tell that rapist to go rape that 13 year old girl, over there?

BTW, the bible claims that we are sheep and Jesus is the Sheppard. So only sheep not Shepperd who believes everything SOME BOOK says. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And yeah, you dont follow God, you follow some old book, written BY MAN. You follow man, not God. The greatest hypocrisy of the century.

Funny as hell.

Tkubok.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 2:21:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dunno, there seems to be some who like to torment theists with the contradictions within their theology, and there are some theists that like going to battle as some sort of proof they believe. It seems to work out for those who enjoy that sort of behavior.

I don't mind some of the discussions that are in the practical application of spirituality, and spiritual concepts, but there aren't a lot of those here; mostly it's what i said above.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 5:11:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:
Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?

Levitation n other cool stuff. Clearly.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 5:12:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

This. This. This.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 5:58:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Aceviper2011 wrote: I believe debates on religion are a waste of time trying to prove something wrong and right, questioning peoples own beliefs when it states in the constitution that we have the freedom of religion.

I agree if your intent is to convert the other person. I've found it rare to encounter someone who changes their mind on such a fundamental issue based on a debate.

That said:
1. Debates can be fun.
2. Debates encourage the Pro/Con to research, so you learn more about the subject. They can also provide the audience with directions to research.
3. Debates can encourage thought on various points of view.

One debate may not change anyone's mind. Ten might not either. Debates combined with independent research can lead people to change their minds. They were a factor in several of my changes of opinions, so at least to me, they are very important.

For too long I went into debates (discussions) seeking to prove that I was right. I realized that it doesn't matter. What matters is what I think on my own arguments/justifications. So now I do my best to try to figure things out. I try to avoid or resist the urge to just try to 'win'. Sometimes I fail, but I'm getting better.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:26:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?

Oh, I meant that some people are fine believing in things on faith alone while others need physical evidence before they can believe anything.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 5:58:53 PM, Meatros wrote:
Aceviper2011 wrote: I believe debates on religion are a waste of time trying to prove something wrong and right, questioning peoples own beliefs when it states in the constitution that we have the freedom of religion.

I agree if your intent is to convert the other person. I've found it rare to encounter someone who changes their mind on such a fundamental issue based on a debate.

Not true. I went from islamic to agnostic just from debating religion with people.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:47:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:26:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?

Oh, I meant that some people are fine believing in things on faith alone while others need physical evidence before they can believe anything.

So are you saying that belief in a god is baseless.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:56:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:47:15 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:26:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?

Oh, I meant that some people are fine believing in things on faith alone while others need physical evidence before they can believe anything.

So are you saying that belief in a god is baseless.

What do you mean?
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 7:52:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:27:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 5:58:53 PM, Meatros wrote:
Aceviper2011 wrote: I believe debates on religion are a waste of time trying to prove something wrong and right, questioning peoples own beliefs when it states in the constitution that we have the freedom of religion.

I agree if your intent is to convert the other person. I've found it rare to encounter someone who changes their mind on such a fundamental issue based on a debate.

Not true. I went from islamic to agnostic just from debating religion with people.

I said it was rare to find someone who changes after one debate....
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 7:57:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 7:52:34 PM, Meatros wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:27:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 5:58:53 PM, Meatros wrote:
Aceviper2011 wrote: I believe debates on religion are a waste of time trying to prove something wrong and right, questioning peoples own beliefs when it states in the constitution that we have the freedom of religion.

I agree if your intent is to convert the other person. I've found it rare to encounter someone who changes their mind on such a fundamental issue based on a debate.

Not true. I went from islamic to agnostic just from debating religion with people.

I said it was rare to find someone who changes after one debate....

Oh, mine wasn't after one debate though.
Experiment
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 8:06:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Belief in anything requires faith. I personally don't have much faith in things with an astute lack of evidence.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 9:49:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/19/2011 6:56:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:47:15 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 6:26:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/19/2011 5:08:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/19/2011 3:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the time it is a waste of time, but occasionally it can also cause people to re-examine their own beliefs and eventually converting. I wouldn't really say that is a waste of time, considering re-examining your beliefs can be a healthy thing to do. However, as soon as it turns into mocking and personal attacks that when it becomes troublesome. I also get annoyed with the whole theism/atheism debate about the existence of God since neither side can prove anything 100%. We just have to accept that faith works for some people while not for others since belief in God really just comes down to faith.

Insert, what do you mean when you say "faith works for some people"? In what way does it work?

Oh, I meant that some people are fine believing in things on faith alone while others need physical evidence before they can believe anything.

So are you saying that belief in a god is baseless.

What do you mean?

You said that beleif in a god requires faith since there is no evidence for a god. I beleive faith is a form of gullibility, treated as a virtue which ostensibly produces mentel health benefites. But to root a belief in faith (the way I understand it) would be impossible since it is a form of gullibility and so on. So I would say that: if your belief in a god is based on faith then it is ultimately baseless (that's to say, it is without any real epistimic support). Would you agree with that.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 3:42:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Because debating makes both sides of the debate examine and reevaluate their own beliefs as well as forcing both side to come up with legitimate justifications for their beliefs. When one side can't come up with legitimate justifications, if they are intellectually honest, they will change their mind.

Debate leads to the increase of knowledge. Debate is fun. It's engaging. It also sharpens your critical thinking.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat