Jump to topic:

For Atheists..

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 5:54:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm interested to know how many Atheists here have one or both parents who are Bible believing, Church attending Christians?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:44:56 AM
My parents are both Bible literalists, as are most of my mom's immediate family.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:57:25 AM
Father is a strong Catholic, Mother is a Presbyterian. They used to go to Church (differing ones) when I was younger, but I don't think they go anymore.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 5:54:46 PM
Dad grew up a strict catholic, became atheist. Mom grew up episcopalian and became kinda agnostic kinda atheist. Her views are a little strange.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:11:23 PM
At 5/31/2011 5:54:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I'm interested to know how many Atheists here have one or both parents who are Bible believing, Church attending Christians?

My parents are both technically Roman Catholic, but they are both essentially Atheists, in that they don't believe in God. My mother is spiritual. My dad is as strong an Atheist as I am.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:18:05 PM
Everyone in my family(with very few exceptions) are non-denominational Christian.

That said, a lot of it resembles the pentecostal movement amped up a little bit.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:19:41 PM

+1
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:20:41 PM
At 5/31/2011 6:19:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

+1

well, bible believing in the NT at least...

the OT is wishy washy a little bit.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:31:30 PM
My mom used to be an Episcopalian, she's an atheist now and hasn't been to church in years. I think my dad is a Christian of some sort, but I haven't seen him in a few months and he doesn't go to church. My step-dad is an atheist.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 7:04:38 PM
All 4 of my grandparents were church going Protestants. All 15 (Yes 15 between 4 grandparents) of their children were Atheists.
God is an Atheist. Faith is "belief in something that isn't based in fact". Since God knows everything he can't have faith, and because he already is the highest power he doesn't believe in a higher power. Atheist right there.

Last time I checked Logic and Reason weren't the causes of thousands of years of brutal warfare, discrimination, genocide, injustices and torture...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 7:42:16 PM

Let me guess, you want to know how many atheists are just "Rebelling against their parents"?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 9:33:27 PM
Neither of my parents are religious.
But that doesn't mean that I have been fascinated by religion, and the effects that it has on history, for much of my life...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 9:37:04 PM

I'm the only atheist in my family -- the rest are either Roman Catholic or Lutheran.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 4:52:57 AM
At 5/31/2011 7:42:16 PM, tkubok wrote:

Let me guess, you want to know how many atheists are just "Rebelling against their parents"?

No, I'm interested to know how many Atheists here have one or both parents who are Bible believing, Church attending Christians?
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 5:07:57 AM
Well, many THANKS for the responses so far.. hopefully others will add their voice at some point..

So far, I'm seeing the word 'Catholic' a lot..

Now I do, on occasion, attend Catholic churches and have grown to love the reverence and unity that exists there..
However, I'm bound to say that they have damaged many people with their unscriptural and over zealous religiosity; the 'bells and smells' and praying to Mary etc.. these things allow the enemy into any Catholic family..

ANYWAY.. The sole reason for this thread is that I wish to speak God's Word over all of you whose father is a believing Christian:

Acts 11:14
"He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved."

Acts 11:13-15
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."

1.John 4:53
Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." So he and his whole household believed.

Acts 18:8
Crispus, the synagogue leader, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul believed and were baptized.

When the man of the house believes then (when we receive it and speak it out) that mans blessing will overflow into his family..
The Cross.. the Cross.