Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Questions that all Christians need to answer

Agnostic86
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
2. Why can't you move a mountain?
3. Why do prayers fail?
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
8. Why does God permit slavery?
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

I would like an answer.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 12:54:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A question that all atheists/agnostics need to answer: why do you hate God?

Check and mate.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:02:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:54:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
A question that all atheists/agnostics need to answer: why do you hate God?

Check and mate.

I'd actually be interested to hear your real answers for 1 through 8.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:03:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?

Don't know

2. Why can't you move a mountain?

Because I am not strong enough.

3. Why do prayers fail?

Some don't.

4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?

Don't know.

5. Why was there no number 5?

I'm guessing because this was copied and pasted from somewhere else and you didn't like number 5.

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?

Free will is the great gift of all.

7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

There are other forms of healing, other than physical.

8. Why does God permit slavery?

Free-will

9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?

I'm not.

10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?

Because of the time of which it is talking to.

11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?

They more of just compiled accounts that had already been writen.

12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

Begging the question. But this still goes back to free will.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:03:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:02:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:54:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
A question that all atheists/agnostics need to answer: why do you hate God?

Check and mate.

I'd actually be interested to hear your real answers for 1 through 8.

Except for number 5.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Agnostic86
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:14:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:54:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
A question that all atheists/agnostics need to answer: why do you hate God?

Check and mate.

I do not believe in God, therefore, I cannot hate him.
You cannot hate something you do not believe in.

Why do you hate Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy?
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:16:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
Not God's will. They aren't magic.
2. Why can't you move a mountain?
Lazy (metaphor)
3. Why do prayers fail?
Because God is not Santa.
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
Growth
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
Why should God? We can talk about suffering if you like.
8. Why does God permit slavery?
Why shouldn't He?
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
I'm not.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
The Bible =/= Science
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
They weren't born yet.
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
That's not something i really believe.

*To be honest, i'm a really bad Christian.

I would like an answer.
Agnostic86
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:22:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:03:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?

Don't know

Perhaps because they do not work.

2. Why can't you move a mountain?

Because I am not strong enough.

Maybe you aren't a Christian!

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.-Matthew 7:20 KJV

3. Why do prayers fail?

Some don't.
But most do. This is a rehithorical statement avoiding the argument

4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?

Don't know.

Case closed on prayers.

5. Why was there no number 5?
I typed too quickly

I'm guessing because this was copied and pasted from somewhere else and you didn't like number 5.
I did not copy and pace anything.

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?

Free will is the great gift of all.
If God can make a rule saying that only people with free-will enjoy happiness, than can't he make a rule saying robots can enjoy happiness and be happy following God?

7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

There are other forms of healing, other than physical.
Avoiding the argument.

8. Why does God permit slavery?

Free-will
(See previous answer)

9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?

I'm not.
So what if you were wrong, die and find out that the Koran was right. Uhoh!

10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?

Because of the time of which it is talking to.
so insects use to have 4 legs, the mustard seed is the smallest seed, there is a solid firnamnet over the sky (i guess that's why we cannot get into space.)

11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?

They more of just compiled accounts that had already been writen.
Huh? I do not understand this.

12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

Begging the question. But this still goes back to free will.
(See previous answers against free will)
Agnostic86
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:25:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:16:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
Not God's will. They aren't magic.
But God said that "Anything you ask in my name, I will do it..."

2. Why can't you move a mountain?
Lazy (metaphor)
What was God saying? Seems like God talked a lot in metaphores. What else is a metaphore in the Bible? Creation? Ressurection? Savlation?

3. Why do prayers fail?
Because God is not Santa.
"Anything you ask, I will do..." (Paraphrased)

4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God
I thought God only answered the Christians prayers...

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
Growth
Huh?

7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
Why should God? We can talk about suffering if you like.
Avoiding argument

8. Why does God permit slavery?
Why shouldn't He?
It is evil.
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
I'm not.
So what if the Koran is right, or better yet SCIECNE!

10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
The Bible =/= Science
Exactly. But if God wanted us to believe his word, shouldn't he have been more accurate?

11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
They weren't born yet.
Exactly! They weren't born yet. Begging the question, how did they know of Jesus and how is there information accurate?

12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
That's not something i really believe.
Begging the question, is Adolf Hitler in heaven with Mother Teresa?

*To be honest, i'm a really bad Christian.
Thank you for being honest, your honesty is greatly appreciated (seriously is.)

I would like an answer.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:26:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
agnostic

Why do you hate Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy?

Cuz they don't give me presents anymore
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Agnostic86
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:28:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:26:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
agnostic

Why do you hate Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy?

Cuz they don't give me presents anymore

Neither does god...

You ignored my question so here it is again, "How can you hate something if you do not believe it?"
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:41:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:28:31 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
Neither does god...

You ignored my question so here it is again, "How can you hate something if you do not believe it?"

You really believe in him deep down, though, so the response is irrelevant.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:00:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:02:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:54:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
A question that all atheists/agnostics need to answer: why do you hate God?

Check and mate.

I'd actually be interested to hear your real answers for 1 through 8.
Definitely.

Christians, wake up please. Instead of going to church, how about lifting mountains? Sounds far more fun, easy, and exciting!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:01:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:22:08 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 1:03:09 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?

Don't know

Perhaps because they do not work.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.


2. Why can't you move a mountain?

Because I am not strong enough.

Maybe you aren't a Christian!

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.-Matthew 7:20 KJV

You do realize that was a hyperbole and not literal, right?


3. Why do prayers fail?

Some don't.
But most do. This is a rehithorical statement avoiding the argument

No, you made an absolute statement, of which is false, no argument needed.


4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?

Don't know.

Case closed on prayers.

5. Why was there no number 5?
I typed too quickly

I'm guessing because this was copied and pasted from somewhere else and you didn't like number 5.
I did not copy and pace anything.

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?

Free will is the great gift of all.
If God can make a rule saying that only people with free-will enjoy happiness, than can't he make a rule saying robots can enjoy happiness and be happy following God?

Probably. Though no one said he did make a rule saying only people with free will enjoy happiness.


7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

There are other forms of healing, other than physical.
Avoiding the argument.

No it's not. Losing an arm can actually better one's life, so in a sense, it heals them in a non-physical way.


8. Why does God permit slavery?

Free-will
(See previous answer)

9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?

I'm not.
So what if you were wrong, die and find out that the Koran was right. Uhoh!

Then I'm not out anything anyway.


10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?

Because of the time of which it is talking to.
so insects use to have 4 legs, the mustard seed is the smallest seed, there is a solid firnamnet over the sky (i guess that's why we cannot get into space.)

Fail. When a 4 year old asks "how babies are born?" most people don't go into the exact scientific details. When a 4 year old asks "how a computer works?" most people don't go into the full scientific details of quantum mechanics and electro-magnetism. They provide a simplistic answer.


11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?

They more of just compiled accounts that had already been writen.
Huh? I do not understand this.

They are compiled of the accounts of others.


12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

Begging the question. But this still goes back to free will.
(See previous answers against free will)

No argument was made against free will.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:02:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:28:31 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 1:26:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
agnostic

Why do you hate Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy?

Cuz they don't give me presents anymore

Neither does god...

You ignored my question so here it is again, "How can you hate something if you do not believe it?"

How can you ask questions about something you don't believe in? You don't have to believe in something to hate it, or have an opinion on it in general.

I don't believe unicorns exists, but I like them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:10:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:25:42 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 1:16:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
Not God's will. They aren't magic.
But God said that "Anything you ask in my name, I will do it..."

Taking things out of context, eh?

John 14:9 - 14:14

"9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father'? 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."


2. Why can't you move a mountain?
Lazy (metaphor)
What was God saying? Seems like God talked a lot in metaphores. What else is a metaphore in the Bible? Creation? Ressurection? Savlation?

Much of the bible is metaphore, as are many books. If you read it in context, you can tell what is a metaphore and what isn't.


3. Why do prayers fail?
Because God is not Santa.
"Anything you ask, I will do..." (Paraphrased)

4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God
I thought God only answered the Christians prayers...

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
Growth
Huh?

7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
Why should God? We can talk about suffering if you like.
Avoiding argument

8. Why does God permit slavery?
Why shouldn't He?
It is evil.
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
I'm not.
So what if the Koran is right, or better yet SCIECNE!

10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
The Bible =/= Science
Exactly. But if God wanted us to believe his word, shouldn't he have been more accurate?

It is because he wanted us to believe his word that it is inaccurate. Every book is written by a person (either divinely inspired or not, not really concerned with that now), so it has to be something that a person AT THAT TIME would understand. People in 400 BC and 337 AD and every time around there, would not comprehend a vast universe, or the big bang, or relativity, or quantum mechanics or [instert most sciences that very few people even understand now].


11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
They weren't born yet.
Exactly! They weren't born yet. Begging the question, how did they know of Jesus and how is there information accurate?

12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
That's not something i really believe.
Begging the question, is Adolf Hitler in heaven with Mother Teresa?

*To be honest, i'm a really bad Christian.
Thank you for being honest, your honesty is greatly appreciated (seriously is.)

I would like an answer.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:15:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 1:25:42 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
At 6/1/2011 1:16:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
Not God's will. They aren't magic.
But God said that "Anything you ask in my name, I will do it..."
Not to me he didn't

2. Why can't you move a mountain?
Lazy (metaphor)
What was God saying? Seems like God talked a lot in metaphores. What else is a metaphore in the Bible? Creation? Ressurection? Savlation?
Eye of the camel, mustard seed, grape vine, etc. Lots and lots.

3. Why do prayers fail?
Because God is not Santa.
"Anything you ask, I will do..." (Paraphrased)

don't paraphrase. God doesn't accomodate all our wants, that's just silliness.
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God
I thought God only answered the Christians prayers...

Nah, he's cool with everyone, but really wants the teachings of Christ to be imparted on people.
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
Growth
Huh?

That's the purpose of our being here. Hard for you to understand?
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
Why should God? We can talk about suffering if you like.
Avoiding argument

Nah, not at all, but there is a greater implication than i think you are getting at here. In short there is purpose to the amputee.
8. Why does God permit slavery?
Why shouldn't He?
It is evil.
And?
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
I'm not.
So what if the Koran is right, or better yet SCIECNE!

Science is good, i don't know much about the Koran, but Christ is my savior, so prolly the bible is best.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
The Bible =/= Science
Exactly. But if God wanted us to believe his word, shouldn't he have been more accurate? Maybe. Probably would like to see if we can work it out though.

11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
They weren't born yet.
Exactly! They weren't born yet. Begging the question, how did they know of Jesus and how is there information accurate?

Well, they knew of Jesus because they were devout followers of Christ. There are a variety of opinions on the accuracy of the Gospels, and their origin (divine inspired or not). I don't have a firm stand on this.
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
That's not something i really believe.
Begging the question, is Adolf Hitler in heaven with Mother Teresa?

It isn't my job to figure out what happens after we die, it's my job to do my best in this life.
*To be honest, i'm a really bad Christian.
Thank you for being honest, your honesty is greatly appreciated (seriously is.)

To clarify, i take the teachings of Christ very serious, but am less of an adherent to the literal word of the bible.
I would like an answer.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:31:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
I need to answer them? Like answer to you or answer for myself?

1. Why do faith healings often fail?

Outside of God's will. Maybe the persons fail wasn't strong enough. Honestly I can't answer those that question. It's like answering why a person continues in a negative behavior.
2. Why can't you move a mountain?

I have. Several actually.
3. Why do prayers fail?

Who says? Sometimes God's greatest gifts are un answered prayers.
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?

Satan. ;)
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?

The ability to love Him by our own choice.
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

Some of the greatest and real achievements are made by over coming the greatest disabilities.
8. Why does God permit slavery?

Free will. And (for me anyway) whether free or slave makes no difference in my love for my God.
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?

What is in the Bible lines up a affirms everything that I know about this life (that matters) so I trust in the Word to steer me in the best path.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?

It wasn't intended to be a science book. It is a spiritual Word, God doesn't care how the world is. We do. Free will again.
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?

They were writing letters to fellow believers. When the Church read these letters they possesed truths according to the Faith and they were added to the Canon. Pretty simple really.
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

Because the good overwhelms the bad.

I would like an answer.

So I should answer to you? Why? The only one that matters is me when dealing with questions like this. No offense but it is true.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 2:35:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
I don't believe in faith healings nor do I think that the Bible does.
2. Why can't you move a mountain?
I am not superman... Incidentally, I hope that you're not telling me that we're supposed to make Jesus comparison literally.
3. Why do prayers fail?
They don't
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God, naturally.
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
It is essential for god-like beings.
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
According to the Gospels Jesus has.
8. Why does God permit slavery?
He doesn't unless you want to play semantics.0
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
It's a long story.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
It doesn't contradict science.
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
Due to "Acts".
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
Ask God, we can't even play dice with those type of questions.

I would like an answer.

Ask GOOGLE, this has been discussed before you were born.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 5:43:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
Lack of faith!
2. Why can't you move a mountain?
Lack of faith!
3. Why do prayers fail?
Lack of faith or wrong requests; nobody gives children their every desire.
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God. Sometimes.
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
To reveal His character, that we may know Him.
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
He does.
8. Why does God permit slavery?
To satan? free will.. humanly speaking? satan.
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
I know that I know that I know is the rather unsatisfactory (and unsatisfying) answer.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
As the Bible came first, science (or some) contradicts the Bible, not vice versa.
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
That's simply not true, John (Jesus' best friend) is a first person account of his life with the Lord:

John 21:24
This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.


12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
It is only by God's Grace and mercy that ANY of us escape hell; so this also proves God's goodness and true Character.
I would like an answer.
You are, like most people, beginning at exactly the wrong end of the stick: you're asking questions about quantum physics (free will etc) when you do not yet understand (stand under; submit) to 2+2=4. (your conscience, which is God in your every day life)

The Truth is revealed only to those who WANT the truth; NEVER to those who want to justify there own lifestyles and have already set their heart against anything that wants to exert an influence on them.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 5:58:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?

Why do they sometimes succeed?

2. Why can't you move a mountain?

Why would I be able to?

3. Why do prayers fail?

Because God isn't around to grant demands all the time.

4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?

Ba'al, Krishna, and I.

6. What was god's purpose for free-will?

Ask God, not me.

7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

Ask God, not me.

8. Why does God permit slavery?

Ask God, not me.

9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?

I'm not.

10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?

Like which parts?

11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?

I dunno.

12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?

How do you know what God does and doesn't know?

I would like an answer.

So would I.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 3:58:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/1/2011 12:12:32 PM, Agnostic86 wrote:
1. Why do faith healings often fail?
It's dependent on God's will, and His plan for that person.
2. Why can't you move a mountain?
It's too heavy, duh.
3. Why do prayers fail?
They don't. They're answered, or unanswered, according to God's will. What we want isn't always what God wants for us.
4. Who answers the non-Christians prayers?
God
5. Why can't non-believers count??
There was no #5 so I added one.
6. What was god's purpose for free-will?
To truly love someone, that love must be given freely. You can't really love God if He doesn't give you the option.
7. Why doesn't God heal amputees?
Not this one again. There's nothing to heal. The limb isn't sick, it's gone.
8. Why does God permit slavery?
For the same reason other bad things happen, stopping it would violate free will. We could never learn how to use free will the right way, if we never get to see it abused.
9. How are you so sure the Bible is right?
Faith. The other answer is, because it says so. Circular, or not, it is the inspired word of God to believers. You either believe it, or you don't. Back to free will and faith again.
10. Why does the Bible contradict most of science?
You would have to prove that it does, to make this a valid question.
11. Why did the writers of the gospel write the gospels long after Jesus' death?
There is still much debate about when they were even written. To answer why would only be speculation.
12. If God knew there would be people sent to be tortured in hell, why did God create them in the first place?
I'm not sure if you're asking about mankind in general, or individuals. Either way, this is just another one of those questions that make a plea to fairness, to attempt to show that God can't exist. These always fail. At best they only prove that the person answering the questions, doesn't know everything.

I would like an answer.
Where there was a valid question, you got an answer. The last one needs a clarification.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 4:13:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My main question would be this... Why would "God" choose 2000 years ago to walk the earth? Why wouldn't He choose the turn of THIS millennium? We have technology that could record the events. We have science that could prove His validity as claiming to be more than just an average human.

Why 2000 years ago, instead of now?

In my opinion...

Jesus was a man; a son of God like the rest of us; not, THE son of God; not God Himself.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 5:59:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 4:13:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
My main question would be this... Why would "God" choose 2000 years ago to walk the earth? Why wouldn't He choose the turn of THIS millennium? We have technology that could record the events. We have science that could prove His validity as claiming to be more than just an average human.
You have science that could prove His validity?? Who invented this "Divinity Detector"?? How did you test this "science"?? What would lead you to believe that God feels that He needs to submit Himself to you, for scientific testing?? Think about that for a minute. Can you imagine Almighty God, Creator of the universe, hooked to a machine, giving blood and DNA samples, CT scans and MRI's. Are you going to ask Him for urine and stool samples too?? And the papparazi...omg
Seriously, asking a "why would God" question like that asks us to know God's mind and that's just not possible. We could give you a biblical answer but if you don't believe in the Bible, what good would it do.


Why 2000 years ago, instead of now?
Because now He would be hounded with requests to go on dancing with the stars.

In my opinion...

Jesus was a man; a son of God like the rest of us; not, THE son of God; not God Himself.
Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But can you disprove the works He did while on earth, or explain where His body went??
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2011 7:11:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 5:59:09 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 6/3/2011 4:13:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
My main question would be this... Why would "God" choose 2000 years ago to walk the earth? Why wouldn't He choose the turn of THIS millennium? We have technology that could record the events. We have science that could prove His validity as claiming to be more than just an average human.

You have science that could prove His validity?? Who invented this "Divinity Detector"?? How did you test this "science"?? What would lead you to believe that God feels that He needs to submit Himself to you, for scientific testing?? Think about that for a minute. Can you imagine Almighty God, Creator of the universe, hooked to a machine, giving blood and DNA samples, CT scans and MRI's. Are you going to ask Him for urine and stool samples too?? And the papparazi...omg
Seriously, asking a "why would God" question like that asks us to know God's mind and that's just not possible. We could give you a biblical answer but if you don't believe in the Bible, what good would it do.


Why 2000 years ago, instead of now?
Because now He would be hounded with requests to go on dancing with the stars.

In my opinion...

Jesus was a man; a son of God like the rest of us; not, THE son of God; not God Himself.
Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But can you disprove the works He did while on earth, or explain where His body went??

Can you prove any works that Jesus did? Can you prove that He reincarnated His dead body?

No.

That's the whole point. You can't prove anything to be true a of 2000 years ago, but followers still use it to form their beliefs. The ways in which we record information with today's audio and visual technology are far superior to the words of a book. What if David Blaine, Chris Angel, etc. were to be thrown back in time 2000 years and claimed to be "God"? What would people say?

Even if Jesus did do powerful things.... It still doesn't prove that he is "God" or that all of our sins are forgiven and we go to heaven just for asking him to be our savior.

It reads like a fairy tale and there is no solid ground for the claim to stand on.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 4:56:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 4:13:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
My main question would be this... Why would "God" choose 2000 years ago to walk the earth? Why wouldn't He choose the turn of THIS millennium? We have technology that could record the events. We have science that could prove His validity as claiming to be more than just an average human.

Why 2000 years ago, instead of now?

In my opinion...

Jesus was a man; a son of God like the rest of us; not, THE son of God; not God Himself.

He chose 2000 years ago because it was the height (depth?) of Jewish evil; the Pharisee's had become a judgmental autocracy who would stop at nothing (even handing Israel over to Roman occupation) to keep power; to them The Law was simply a weapon to control others and to make themselves appear good.

Jesus came to expose (shine His Light) on these things.

Jesus is the ONLY Begotten Son of the Living God; God BEGETS God.

By accepting Him as the ONLY Begotten Son of the Living God then we have the right to BECOME sons of God.
The Cross.. the Cross.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 11:02:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/3/2011 7:11:29 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Can you prove any works that Jesus did? Can you prove that He reincarnated His dead body? That's the whole point. You can't prove anything to be true a of 2000 years ago, but followers still use it to form their beliefs.

Justin, I posed those questions as rhetorical ones, to try and make a point to you, that you can't disprove anything in Christianity. I know that I can't "physically prove" my beliefs to you, in the way that you want. If I could "prove" them, it would contradict the entire Bible. Christianity is a worldview based on faith. But when you think about it, every worldview is faith-based, including atheism.
Scientists can't prove evolution, or the big bang theory, if they could there wouldn't be so much controversy about it. There are many jumping off the bandwagon as more is learned. But many have faith that it is true, because aside from God, there is no better explanation, at this time. They have faith in Darwin, or faith that man will someday find the answers, but faith in a being more powerful than themselves seems repulsive to them.

The ways in which we record information with today's audio and visual technology are far superior to the words of a book.

In addition to the answers that DATCMOTO gave, which are correct, I'd like to add that Jesus was sent for many purposes. To fulfill prophecy, to prove God's love for us, to teach about the Kingdom of Heaven, to sacrifice Himself so that we may have eternal life, to preach about what God expects of us and have it recorded for future generations, etc. Since those necessary purposes have been fulfilled, showing up today would only satisfy one purpose. That only purpose would be to satisfy the curiosity of those who don't want to believe in Him anyway. Even if He did show up today, many would still find a reason to turn against Him, just as Lucifer did.
Darwins "theory" was written in a book, and we use books to teach our future generations, so why shouldn't God's word, in book form, be acceptable??

What if David Blaine, Chris Angel, etc. were to be thrown back in time 2000 years and claimed to be "God"? What would people say?

Those guys use illusion, camera angles, etc. Put them back in Jesus' day, and take away their stage sets and other tools that they have today, and they're nothing more than a laborer like everyone else. Jesus didn't have any of that back then, yet performed even greater miracles.

Even if Jesus did do powerful things.... It still doesn't prove that he is "God" or that all of our sins are forgiven and we go to heaven just for asking him to be our savior.

Doesn't it make His claims more credible?? I guess we're back to faith, again. There's only one time and one way this can be proven, to your satisfaction. When it's proven to you, it's too late.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 2:04:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 11:02:41 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 6/3/2011 7:11:29 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Can you prove any works that Jesus did? Can you prove that He reincarnated His dead body? That's the whole point. You can't prove anything to be true a of 2000 years ago, but followers still use it to form their beliefs.

Justin, I posed those questions as rhetorical ones, to try and make a point to you, that you can't disprove anything in Christianity. I know that I can't "physically prove" my beliefs to you, in the way that you want. If I could "prove" them, it would contradict the entire Bible. Christianity is a worldview based on faith. But when you think about it, every worldview is faith-based, including atheism.
Scientists can't prove evolution, or the big bang theory, if they could there wouldn't be so much controversy about it. There are many jumping off the bandwagon as more is learned. But many have faith that it is true, because aside from God, there is no better explanation, at this time. They have faith in Darwin, or faith that man will someday find the answers, but faith in a being more powerful than themselves seems repulsive to them.

The ways in which we record information with today's audio and visual technology are far superior to the words of a book.

In addition to the answers that DATCMOTO gave, which are correct, I'd like to add that Jesus was sent for many purposes. To fulfill prophecy, to prove God's love for us, to teach about the Kingdom of Heaven, to sacrifice Himself so that we may have eternal life, to preach about what God expects of us and have it recorded for future generations, etc. Since those necessary purposes have been fulfilled, showing up today would only satisfy one purpose. That only purpose would be to satisfy the curiosity of those who don't want to believe in Him anyway. Even if He did show up today, many would still find a reason to turn against Him, just as Lucifer did.
Darwins "theory" was written in a book, and we use books to teach our future generations, so why shouldn't God's word, in book form, be acceptable??

What if David Blaine, Chris Angel, etc. were to be thrown back in time 2000 years and claimed to be "God"? What would people say?

Those guys use illusion, camera angles, etc. Put them back in Jesus' day, and take away their stage sets and other tools that they have today, and they're nothing more than a laborer like everyone else. Jesus didn't have any of that back then, yet performed even greater miracles.

Even if Jesus did do powerful things.... It still doesn't prove that he is "God" or that all of our sins are forgiven and we go to heaven just for asking him to be our savior.

Doesn't it make His claims more credible?? I guess we're back to faith, again. There's only one time and one way this can be proven, to your satisfaction. When it's proven to you, it's too late.

You speak of faith, but their are two different kinds of faith. Logical faith and Blind faith. Science is based off of logical faith, making sense of something and then believing it to be true. Most religions are based off of blind faith, believing something no matter what logic says or doesn't say makes sense.

Esoteric beliefs make sense of the workings in the universe and life far better than most explanations I have researched given by religions or science alone. Esoteric beliefs actually make sense of all the religions and science, stating that they are all correct to a degree. That is what makes most sense to me right now.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 4:21:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/4/2011 2:04:51 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
You speak of faith, but their are two different kinds of faith. Logical faith and Blind faith. Science is based off of logical faith, making sense of something and then believing it to be true. Most religions are based off of blind faith, believing something no matter what logic says or doesn't say makes sense.

My beliefs are based on blind faith, from your perspective, but not mine. Christianity looks much different from the inside, than from the outside looking in. The Bible even takes on new meanings when you read it to gain knowledge, rather than trying to find fault with it. I came to my beliefs and my faith, through a long process. I haven't always believed in God, and when I held my first son for the first time, I had no thoughts of religion. But seeing him opened my eyes to the fact that there is something bigger out there. He didn't just happen by chance. From there it was several years before any particular religion made sense to me. I started looking more seriously into Christianity, and here we are. Today, it makes perfect sense to me, I can justify it, and I believe it. So, bottom line is that, even by the definition you gave, my faith is logical faith.

Esoteric beliefs make sense of the workings in the universe and life far better than most explanations I have researched given by religions or science alone. Esoteric beliefs actually make sense of all the religions and science, stating that they are all correct to a degree. That is what makes most sense to me right now.

That's cool, I'm not trying to demean your beliefs, I just really enjoy talking about religion, and enjoy trying to answer difficult questions about Christianity and the Bible. Thanks for the challenge.