Why...

Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:39:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is this board still active?
Until we come across some new scientific discovery, this place will just be the same rehash of countless arguments already done.

Atheists, there is no sensible point in posting here. Unless you want to be like those Jehovah Witnesses you so despise, posting here is moot. Even if someone is saying something you know to be wrong, or they are calling you out, get over it. You know you are right. Will it really please your ego that much to blatantly prove someone else wrong? What good will it do you, aside from stroking your ego? Is that all you are looking for? Unless an Xian or atheist makes some thought-provoking post that hasn't been explored, or if they are actively asking about a religious question, what good will posting here do?

Christians, I advise you to research some logical proofs or evidential proofs of god's existence. Study it if you really think that posting here will do you good. After you do study it, go study the critiques of them. Compare which has more logical sounding proofs. If you find that you have remaining argument(s) that are in favor of your god, come forward with them, and ask the other forum users to find a flaw with the proof. Reasonably discuss it, and please don't preach verses again and again if you find that faith in god seems unreasonable.

Please, just stop posting here unless you have some substance that is NEW.
I miss the old members.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:46:20 AM
At 6/7/2011 2:39:41 AM, Atheism wrote:

Eh, granted this is largely a troll forum, there is still the fact that new members, most of whom are young will advocate older ideas because they are well known and popular - having less experience with advanced debate, and likewise we will have people asking similar questions because we aren't a hive mind. Thread necromancy is generally frowned upon, and rarely do people care about searching extensive forums for old threads that may be relevant so they can bump. Just do what most people do and generally ignore this forum.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:48:04 AM
At 6/7/2011 2:46:20 AM, Puck wrote:

Eh, granted this is largely a troll forum, there is still the fact that new members, most of whom are young will advocate older ideas because they are well known and popular - having less experience with advanced debate, and likewise we will have people asking similar questions because we aren't a hive mind. Thread necromancy is generally frowned upon, and rarely do people care about searching extensive forums for old threads that may be relevant so they can bump. Just do what most people do and generally ignore this forum.

I try to ignore this entire website, but I find it to be like an addiction I can't kick.
Ah, well. I guess it infuriates me that people don't have the mental prowess to just use Google to search for the answers to their questions.
I miss the old members.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:50:14 AM
At 6/7/2011 2:48:04 AM, Atheism wrote:

I try to ignore this entire website, but I find it to be like an addiction I can't kick.
Ah, well. I guess it infuriates me that people don't have the mental prowess to just use Google to search for the answers to their questions.

Yes, because that way you can always find the answer that makes you most comfortable.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:51:12 AM

If forums are the issue just stick to debates - formulate a debate a month, post it, test it, improve, move on when a new idea comes - and ignore the forums and comments on your debates completely.

If it's a time management issue then I suggest wiping out all routes to the website you have that don't involve you physically typing the address in. Even blocking it would help I guess.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:08:50 AM
At 6/7/2011 2:50:14 AM, innomen wrote:

Yes, because that way you can always find the answer that makes you most comfortable.
Yup. And that's all that really matters, so long as no one posts anything unoriginal here. I don't care about their respective intelligence, they can be dumb as a rock for all I care.
I just want this forum to have something new.
I miss the old members.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:10:11 AM
At 6/7/2011 2:51:12 AM, Puck wrote:

If forums are the issue just stick to debates - formulate a debate a month, post it, test it, improve, move on when a new idea comes - and ignore the forums and comments on your debates completely.

If it's a time management issue then I suggest wiping out all routes to the website you have that don't involve you physically typing the address in. Even blocking it would help I guess.
It's the latter.
I don't obsessively come here, maybe once in a month. I -can- stay away, it just always pulls me back once in a while. I don't regret it. It's somewhat masochistic of me, but I like it anyways and just say that I don't.
I miss the old members.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 3:58:53 AM
At 6/7/2011 3:08:50 AM, Atheism wrote:
At 6/7/2011 2:50:14 AM, innomen wrote:

Yup. And that's all that really matters, so long as no one posts anything unoriginal here. I don't care about their respective intelligence, they can be dumb as a rock for all I care.
I just want this forum to have something new.

I don't disagree with you in this, and I typically don't bother checking the category very often at all because it's generally both sides trying to take pot shots at each other, and it just gets monotonous and stupid. The tragic thing is, this general nature of this particular forum has precluded intelligent discourse. I'd like to have a constructive conversation with an atheist on the problem of evil, but don't even bother because I know it will just degenerate into two dimensional discussion.