Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Why religion should be your first choice

Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...

RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.
Kfc.
Merda
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 8:59:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...


RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.

That's not actually an actual argument. I believe Cosmic calls it an Argument ad Pussium. I call it the Argument from being a pvssy a$s b1tch. Christians call it Pascal's Wager.

Also can't I apply the same exact argument to make you a Muslim? Don't they have hell too?
My manwich!
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:01:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Meh. It's not really an argument for a debate. I just think it's sensible logic, and the thread title says RELIGION, I just happen to be a Christian.
Kfc.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:02:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...


RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.

Did you really just seriously bring pascals wager into the equation. Are you serious? Really? I mean come on!

Lets see if a god did create us it is far more likely he would want us to use our brains not just blind faith, so if a god did exist it is actually more likely he would punish gullible religious people over atheists who use their brains to evaluate the evidence.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:06:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
by the way this isn't logic, you can't have logic based on a false dichotomy which is a logical fallacy.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:07:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Pascal assumes:
a) You can choose to believe and/or God would be fooled by lip service.
b) Any one religion is correct.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:16:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
are you intentionally creating an oxymoron, faith based logic?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 9:20:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
no all it depends on is whether you understand a false dichotomy is a logical fallacy. Once you understand that, this has zero to do with logic and more to do with mental gymnastics.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 4:33:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The return of Pascals wager.

Islam is wrong = Nothing lost

Islam is right = You go to hell

Shall we all convert to Islam now ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 8:14:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 9:15:55 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
I don't mean this as serious fact, rather as faith based logic. Only christians really know what faith is.

I'm not sure i understand you and i'm a christian...if you don't take it as a serious fact why exactly would any non-christian religious person take you seriously (much less an atheist or agnostic)?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 9:29:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Engaging in compulsive behaviours due to repetitive thoughts and fears that something bad will happen... I believe that's called OCD.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:38:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...


RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

You shouldn't be a Christian for the sole reason that it's possible it's right.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.

That's assuming there are only two possible religions, atheism and Christianity what about all the other religions?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 1:48:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...


RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

1. Which religion? Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Scientology, Sikhism, Jainism? What if you chose to be a Christian and ended up in Islamic hell because you didn't believe in Allah?

2. You can't force yourself to believe something. You can claim to believe in God, you can tell others believe, but what makes you think lying to yourself that you believe will make God think you're sincere? You really think God would be fooled by your phony belief that isn't real?

3. If religion is wrong and you spent 70 years abstaining from the joys of life that your religion condemns, then you have just wasted your entire life because you believed a lie that restricted and limited your potential for happiness.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

What if Jainism is the one true religion and you actually get rewarded for being an Atheist and enjoy the fruits of an eternal and blissful afterlife? You should research Jainism because it's a religion that rejects God, but believes in an afterlife. So no, Atheism doesn't necessarily lead to Hell given that there are religions that are Atheistic.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.

This may be the worst argument I've ever heard. Christianity makes more sense to you because it has a harsher punishment than Atheism? Your head is seriously twisted and perhaps brain damaged. Seek help.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 2:41:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:53:47 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Ok my third post :)

Here's some simple logic...


RELIGION is wrong= nothing lost.

ATHEISM is wrong= you go to hell.

Christianity make more sense to me because of the simple fact that if you are wrong, there is no punishment, and the opposite holds.

The punishment for "Embracing God" is Rejecting yourself, and Turning your life into a struggle to be endured.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 4:10:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Actually learn how to read ancient Hebrew.

Then go read the bible. The original ancient Hebrew bible, not the translated versions.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 4:59:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/9/2011 4:10:52 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Actually learn how to read ancient Hebrew.

Then go read the bible. The original ancient Hebrew bible, not the translated versions.

The translations are actually pretty good nowadays.

Though, you will get a better understanding of the text if you read it side by side with the original language. When you look at the words that come out as "commandment" for instance, you can get a drastically different meaning about what that actually means. It is pretty interesting.

The bible itself is actually written in a few languages though. If you are OCD like I was about the bible, You could sit for hours and hours on end studying this sh!t.

Even though I could have probably directed my energies towards more useful studies, I ended up learning valuable lessons about language, history, anthropology, psychology, and a lot of different things from doing so. Even though I am not a Christian, Jew, or even a Muslim(the books would still be relevant to study if I was), I don't really regret spending so much time on it.

But anyway, as corny as this might sound, and as much as many people will roll their eyes, context is very important to understanding these texts. Also, as long as you have preconceived notions about what you think it is all about, it is going to cloud your ability to look at the text for what it really is.

It is a very important historical document.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:28:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 9:01:12 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Meh. It's not really an argument for a debate. I just think it's sensible logic, and the thread title says RELIGION, I just happen to be a Christian.

It isn't really sensible at all. If God is real, wouldn't he know that you are just believing in religion to get into heaven and to be safe? I don't think that would make him very happy. Plus what if you choose the wrong religion?
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:34:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/9/2011 10:28:45 PM, rogue wrote:
At 6/8/2011 9:01:12 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Meh. It's not really an argument for a debate. I just think it's sensible logic, and the thread title says RELIGION, I just happen to be a Christian.

It isn't really sensible at all. If God is real, wouldn't he know that you are just believing in religion to get into heaven and to be safe? I don't think that would make him very happy. Plus what if you choose the wrong religion?

Only Islam as far as I know really asks that you believe in God, the others demand that you live a good life.

So if I believe that Allah sent Jesus to die on the cross and live a good life I think I just won the afterlife.
Kfc.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:36:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/9/2011 10:34:17 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/9/2011 10:28:45 PM, rogue wrote:
At 6/8/2011 9:01:12 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Meh. It's not really an argument for a debate. I just think it's sensible logic, and the thread title says RELIGION, I just happen to be a Christian.

It isn't really sensible at all. If God is real, wouldn't he know that you are just believing in religion to get into heaven and to be safe? I don't think that would make him very happy. Plus what if you choose the wrong religion?

Only Islam as far as I know really asks that you believe in God, the others demand that you live a good life.

You obviously don't know a lot about religion then. A huge portion of it is "faith".
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 2:59:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/9/2011 10:34:17 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/9/2011 10:28:45 PM, rogue wrote:
At 6/8/2011 9:01:12 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
Meh. It's not really an argument for a debate. I just think it's sensible logic, and the thread title says RELIGION, I just happen to be a Christian.

It isn't really sensible at all. If God is real, wouldn't he know that you are just believing in religion to get into heaven and to be safe? I don't think that would make him very happy. Plus what if you choose the wrong religion?

Only Islam as far as I know really asks that you believe in God, the others demand that you live a good life.

So if I believe that Allah sent Jesus to die on the cross and live a good life I think I just won the afterlife.

What is a "Good" life? Islam claims that a "Good" life is a life without any sex before marriage. A "Good" life is one that, if youre female, you have to wear a burka. A "Good" life is one where you pray to Mecca 5 times a day. Where you fast twice a year.

There are many things you need to do in order to be considered as living a "Good" life. Your argument fails.