DDO uses bell as symbol of religion?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:06:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you think it would have been non inclusive for them to use a
"cross" instead. Or a Bible. I think that they should have.
I bet this site is secular and biased towards religious people.
Go figure. What do you think ? Does this matter.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 11:34:51 AM
No. Bells are a symbol of churches. This site is not "biased", it is simply open to those of all religions.

PS Interrogator is a fvcktard.
Kfc.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 12:04:59 PM
Brainmaster. I was hoping you would have matured by now by not resorting to
unclean language. But perhaps you should change your name.
Because you do not live up to its standards. =)
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 12:32:33 PM
At 6/9/2011 12:04:59 PM, interrogator wrote:
Brainmaster. I was hoping you would have matured by now by not resorting to
unclean language. But perhaps you should change your name.
Because you do not live up to its standards. =)

Ye darest speak against my power...eth?!?!
Kfc.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 9:57:47 PM
I think a good symbol for our religion section would be a picture of Kratos.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:06:45 PM
At 6/9/2011 11:34:51 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 10:45:42 PM
At 6/9/2011 9:51:45 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
I think a good symbol for all religions would be the picture of a book.

Better than a bell at least....

yeah, all those into studying and arguing about religion tend to reference back to some book of importance, old ones very often. philosophy too for that matter.

and it couldn't be said to be biased, a generic book looking image could represent the bible, or the Quoran, the Book of Mormon, the UMC Book of Discipline, L Ron Hubbles Battlefield Earth.....
...or any book about religion like "the Abolition of Man" "the God Delusion" "A Case for Faith" "Jesus Interrupted" "the Methodist Evangle"

if your the kind of person who likes to seriously converse about religion at all your nose is probably in books a lot to know and believe what you argue. especially old looking books as any new book worth reading usually is loaded with quotations from older and well known books.

even an atheist could have it within him to hold reverence to the first copy of the bible in English if he ever got his hands on one. Such a book would represent the changing of an era when the common man did not need to be told by the Catholic Bishop that reads Hebrew what that book said, people read and thought for themselves in a way they had not before. and the new printing press let anyone get a hold of it.

Also "bible" means "book" or something close to that...so I'm all for changing the bell to a book. not all religious interest have to do with a church with a bell, but all probably have to do with book.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 2:02:47 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:45:42 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 6/9/2011 9:51:45 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
I think a good symbol for all religions would be the picture of a book.

Better than a bell at least....

yeah, all those into studying and arguing about religion tend to reference back to some book of importance, old ones very often. philosophy too for that matter.

and it couldn't be said to be biased, a generic book looking image could represent the bible, or the Quoran, the Book of Mormon, the UMC Book of Discipline, L Ron Hubbles Battlefield Earth.....
...or any book about religion like "the Abolition of Man" "the God Delusion" "A Case for Faith" "Jesus Interrupted" "the Methodist Evangle"

if your the kind of person who likes to seriously converse about religion at all your nose is probably in books a lot to know and believe what you argue. especially old looking books as any new book worth reading usually is loaded with quotations from older and well known books.

even an atheist could have it within him to hold reverence to the first copy of the bible in English if he ever got his hands on one. Such a book would represent the changing of an era when the common man did not need to be told by the Catholic Bishop that reads Hebrew what that book said, people read and thought for themselves in a way they had not before. and the new printing press let anyone get a hold of it.

Also "bible" means "book" or something close to that...so I'm all for changing the bell to a book. not all religious interest have to do with a church with a bell, but all probably have to do with book.

Very well said. I completely agree.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 3:43:17 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:06:45 PM, m93samman wrote:
At 6/9/2011 11:34:51 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2011 10:31:25 PM
At 6/9/2011 10:06:45 AM, interrogator wrote:

Are you kidding? That would make it biased towards christianity. They wanted something that stood for most religions. I do think it would be offensive to have the symbol be a cross or a Bible. As if christianity was the RIGHT and only major religion.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 12:12:59 AM
At 6/10/2011 10:31:25 PM, rogue wrote:

Are you kidding? That would make it biased towards christianity. They wanted something that stood for most religions. I do think it would be offensive to have the symbol be a cross or a Bible. As if christianity was the RIGHT and only major religion.

I'm not sure its rational to think a christian emblem/icon would send a message that Christianity is right or even the only existing major religion if it were made the pitcher for this forum section. I think the message would come off more like "Christianity is the primary religion ever discussed in this forum"

though I dont think that message either should be conveyed by the icon for this forum, it wouldn't be that inaccurate a message to give. though the intention of this forum is for discussion of any and all religouns, practically it seems most the time it seems the threads are about God (in respect to the bible about half the time its about God) or for or against.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 5:34:50 AM

You only find bells on Christian Churches; so the bias is toward us Christians..
The Cross.. the Cross.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 8:13:43 AM
DAT. I agree. There are other symbols that represent other religions as well.
The bell may indicate a more Christian like, Western world type symbol.
Which we all know is part of a 'church'.