Jump to topic:

The Original Bible

Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 8:20:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The original bible is from the ancient Hebrew culture and s written in ancient Hebrew. Ancient Hebrew scholars say that all the translations of the bible are completely wrong and that they have translated the bible into how they want to see it, instead of how it is.

People who have followed the word of the bible for most of their lives will have a hard time accepting the truth. That their version of the bible is very distorted and is almost a different book all together when compared to the real bible. The original.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 10:26:31 PM
I'm fairly certain the NT was written in Greek.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 11:17:03 PM
At 6/11/2011 10:26:31 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I think hes talking about the Old Testament only. I dont know why he says bible instead of Torah, though.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 11:28:31 PM
At 6/11/2011 11:17:03 PM, tkubok wrote:

I think hes talking about the Old Testament only. I dont know why he says bible instead of Torah, though.

It isn't uncommon for it to be called the Bible, it is a generic term. I have heard the Gita be called the bible by Hindu's for example. Most Christians tend to follow the New Testament obviously though and that is what they tend to mean when they say the bible says X.
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2011 11:28:56 PM

I think hes talking about the Old Testament only. I dont know why he says bible instead of Tanakh, though.

Fixed
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 5:19:31 AM
At 6/11/2011 8:20:19 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
The original bible is from the ancient Hebrew culture and s written in ancient Hebrew. Ancient Hebrew scholars say that all the translations of the bible are completely wrong and that they have translated the bible into how they want to see it, instead of how it is.

People who have followed the word of the bible for most of their lives will have a hard time accepting the truth. That their version of the bible is very distorted and is almost a different book all together when compared to the real bible. The original.

God not only INSPIRED the Bible, He protected it and EDITED it too!

We've GOT the right Bible: NIV! (1984) !
The Cross.. the Cross.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 7:28:37 AM
At 6/14/2011 5:19:31 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/11/2011 8:20:19 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

God not only INSPIRED the Bible, He protected it and EDITED it too!

We've GOT the right Bible: NIV! (1984) !

So God's word needs editting... OK
kfc
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 8:04:49 AM
At 6/14/2011 7:28:37 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

So God's word needs editting... OK

Man you have high standards, he created the world in seven days, wrote a complete instruction manual and when people (who changed over time) needed some guidance he had is manual revised by divine inspiration - and still you complain. There is just no please some people, what do you want anyway - perfection?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 3:31:07 PM
At 6/11/2011 11:28:56 PM, InquireTruth wrote:

I think hes talking about the Old Testament only. I dont know why he says bible instead of Tanakh, though.

Fixed

Tanakh includes many of the hebrew writings, whereas christians only use the Torah in their bible. no need to be fixed.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 3:52:35 PM
Call it what you want. I'm talking about the original ancient Hebrew writings that many call The Bible. It has been translated many times, one of the first being the Aramaic translation, which many people mistake for Ancient Hebrew.

The meanings of the text in the original bible (or whatever name you want to call it) are very different from the translated versions. The meaning of the word (symbols) commonly translated as "God", doesn't even mean "God" in the original bible... It means "authority figure".

And that's just one example.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 4:06:22 PM
At 6/14/2011 3:52:35 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
Call it what you want. I'm talking about the original ancient Hebrew writings that many call The Bible. It has been translated many times, one of the first being the Aramaic translation, which many people mistake for Ancient Hebrew.

The meanings of the text in the original bible (or whatever name you want to call it) are very different from the translated versions. The meaning of the word (symbols) commonly translated as "God", doesn't even mean "God" in the original bible... It means "authority figure".

Actually, the very very first useage of the word "God" means Plural Gods, or many Gods, which is in keeping with the history of the religion, which started polytheistic.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 4:26:58 PM
This is a great topic, and people don't even realize it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 5:06:20 PM
At 6/14/2011 3:31:07 PM, tkubok wrote:

Fixed

Tanakh includes many of the hebrew writings, whereas christians only use the Torah in their bible. no need to be fixed.

??? Um, no. Torah or Pentateuch refers only to the first five books of the old testament. Are there only 5 books in the Hebrew bible or the Old Testament? Fix was needed.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 5:17:13 PM
At 6/14/2011 5:06:20 PM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 6/14/2011 3:31:07 PM, tkubok wrote:

Fixed

??? Um, no. Torah or Pentateuch refers only to the first five books of the old testament. Are there only 5 books in the Hebrew bible or the Old Testament? Fix was needed.

Oh, my bad. I got the Tanakh and the Torah mixed up. >_>
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 7:19:36 PM
At 6/14/2011 4:06:22 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 6/14/2011 3:52:35 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

Actually, the very very first useage of the word "God" means Plural Gods, or many Gods, which is in keeping with the history of the religion, which started polytheistic.
It is a majestic plural. Queen Victoria used the pronoun "we" when she referred to herself. Surely she did not suffer from dissociative identity disorder.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 8:23:36 PM
I thought that people would have a lot more to say about this topic. I press you to research what I speak of if you do not believe me. Everyone has the right to believe what they wish, but you have the right to know the true meaning of the book you follow. Finding out the true meaning of the book that shapes your beliefs may very well change how you see your beliefs all together.

I don't believe the bible is true, but I was still shocked to find out that even some of the most basic things, things that even I thought were translated accurately, are not translated accurately at all.

This site has a lot of believers in the bible. What do you say to this?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:30:23 AM
At 6/14/2011 8:23:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
I thought that people would have a lot more to say about this topic. I press you to research what I speak of if you do not believe me. Everyone has the right to believe what they wish, but you have the right to know the true meaning of the book you follow. Finding out the true meaning of the book that shapes your beliefs may very well change how you see your beliefs all together.

I don't believe the bible is true, but I was still shocked to find out that even some of the most basic things, things that even I thought were translated accurately, are not translated accurately at all.

Could you give examples? The classicists I know (I only know classicists who study at oxford so they do ancient hebrew too) disagree with you.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 3:10:35 PM
At 6/15/2011 8:30:23 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 6/14/2011 8:23:36 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:

Could you give examples? The classicists I know (I only know classicists who study at oxford so they do ancient hebrew too) disagree with you.

Quoted from the AncientHebrew.org website.

Standard Text Translations
Most all English translations of Genesis 1:24 are translated as, "And God said, ;Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind...'" Now compare that with Genesis 2:7 which is usually translated as "...and the man became a living soul (some translations have 'being')." I have often heard it debated that only man has a soul, but not animals. This theological assumption can be supported by the two verses quoted above, but not in the Hebrew. The phrase "living creature," from the first verse, and "living soul," in the second verse, are identical in the Hebrew--nephesh hhayah. If this phrase was translated the same way in both verses, the theological idea that only man has a soul (nephesh) would never have been proposed.

Standard Word Translations
This change in the way Hebrew words are translated does not end with only one or two different translations, but the list goes on. The Hebrew word nephesh is translated as soul, life, person, mind, heart, creature, body, dead, desire, man, appetite, lust, thing, self, beast, pleasure, ghost, breath and will in the King James Version. The King James Version also translates the Hebrew word hhayah as live, life, beast, alive, creature, running, living, raw, springing, old, quick, lifetime, troop, appetite, lively, congregation, company and maintenance. The King James Version is not alone in this style of translation, as all translations are similar. If one wishes to do a serious study of the Bible, and does not know Hebrew, how is one to sort through this conglomeration of word translations?

The Mechanical Translation Compared to other Translations
The major advantage to the Mechanical Translation for the student of the Bible is that it consistently translates each Hebrew word in the exact same way each time it occurs in the text. This allows the reader to see the Hebrew text, without even knowing Hebrew, in its pure form void from any personal interpretation being interjected into the text. Below are a few examples from the book of Genesis comparing the Mechanical Translation (MT) and the Revised Mechanical Translation (RMT) with Young's Literal Translation (YLT), King James Version (KJV), the Revised Standard Version (RSV) and the Stone's Edition Tenach (SET).

Genesis 1:1
MT:in~Summit he~did~Fatten "Elohiym [Powers]" At the~Sky~s2 and~At the~Land
RMT:in the summit "Elohiym [Powers]" fattened the sky and the land,
YLT:In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth
KJV:In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
RSV:In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
SET:In the beginning of God's creating the heavens and the earth.

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 3:18:04 PM
Justin. That Book is very interesting indeed. Regardless of the different
terms or words of reference.........The basic fundamental teachings of truth is
still very accurately the same.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 3:26:55 PM
At 6/15/2011 3:18:04 PM, interrogator wrote:
Justin. That Book is very interesting indeed. Regardless of the different
terms or words of reference.........The basic fundamental teachings of truth is
still very accurately the same.

Actually, that the whole point of this thread. The teachings are not accurately the same at all.
Justin_Chains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 3:52:55 PM
At 6/15/2011 3:44:13 PM, interrogator wrote:
Justin. They are enough to give us a substantial and common ground.
I dont think either version is wrong. But to each his own.

Not wrong, no. I agree, to each his own.

But people stating that a translation is the "Word of God" or that it is the only real truth... That strikes a nerve with me emotionally, because the book's words have been mistranslated to fit a specific religion's views. When you have one word that is translated 12 different ways... That's not accurate at all. Nor is it the true word of the book. If it is the position that the true word of god is indeed in the bible, then it would be in the original, not in the manipulated text of the translations. I believe that the book is just a book, but a very interesting book. I am very interested in anything from ancient history and the bible has indeed been a major influence over human history.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 4:09:42 PM
Justin, none of those examples indicate inaccuracy, only a difference in the syntax and synonyms between English and Ancient Hebrew.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 4:12:02 PM
Justin. The Bible is the single most influential literary piece in the history of mankind. Nothing will surpass it. I believe that the basic fundamentals of
truth bear a striking resemblence in spite of the translations. They are so
simillar that the legitimacy is acceptable to most religious instituions today.
There was no war because of these changes. * So the truth remains.
I feel that you are a Jew. I understand your pain. BUT ! This is how it is.
If it were really an injustic to man, then God would have sent a messenger, to correct us, a long
time ago. So far that has not happened. <---------------------------
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 5:40:43 PM
There are good translations out nowadays.

It isn't so much the translations themselves that are in error nowadays, it is how people understand the translation.

Studying the language that a book in the bible was written in(it isn't all written in one language) can definitely aide in your understanding of what the text was originally meant to convey. There is a lot that goes into it.

Some words, like "commandment" or "god" can yield slightly or completely different meanings if you study the language.

I've in the past attempted to get people to better understand these texts, but.. eh.. Christians do not like my interpretations, because I do not go in line with orthodox theology. Non-believers do not like my interpretations, because they tend to have an agenda that keeps them from looking at the texts objectively and honestly. Both are clouded by their own prejudice and preconceptions.

The bible is one of the most significant and useful historical collections that exists, but it is not something worthy of idolatry. When the Pentateuch was written, it was government. All religion is government. The "law" of these books do not have the legal authority that they did when they were written.

Religious leaders were often translators of God. They attempted to look at the world, and see what was beneficial and what was not. Religious laws were an attempt at aligning the people with a way that was suited for prosperity.

There is a lot that has been written that is largely irrelevant now due to how society has evolved, but there are still a lot of goodies in these books. Most of it is after the Torah though..

Ecclesiastes and Proverbs are probably my favorites out of the Old Testament writings. In the earlier, you have the classic example of a man grappling with the absurd. Proverbs is just filled with good advice(though some of it is still dated).

That's not even counting the New Testament, which, if properly understood is incredibly deep.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 5:46:28 PM
At 6/15/2011 4:13:11 PM, interrogator wrote:
Thaddeus. Finally ! You have said something that makes perfect sense.

You probably misunderstood him then.