Jump to topic:

Religion Changing

Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 11:35:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I ask you this- have you ever changed religion?

I have.

First I was an atheist, then a Catholic, and now a Pentecostal.

What about you?
Kfc.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 1:27:56 PM
very early on in life was a lutheran, then became a methodist, now I am athesti. I don't understand the opposite path, I would be curious what evidence was used to go from atheist to christian.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 1:56:19 PM
Catholic > Non-denominational Christian > Deist > New Age > Pantheist > Buddhist Atheist
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 1:57:46 PM
Non-denominational Christian > Non-denominational Christian > Non-denominational Christian > Non-denominational Christian.
kfc
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 2:07:06 PM
At 6/14/2011 2:02:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Christian - atheist - Christian

Oh, really? Interesting. Is there a story behind that?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 2:39:02 PM
At 6/14/2011 2:07:06 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Quite a long, convoluted one actually. (^^;
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 2:40:01 PM
At 6/14/2011 2:07:06 PM, Kinesis wrote:

This is actually the most common pattern I've seen in my life.

Mine is a little bit bumpy.

Non-denominational Christian - Agnostic - Pentecostal Christian - Non-denominational Christian - Buddhist/Christian Hybrid - Islam- Taoist - Taoist/Atheist - Cosmic Alfonzoist - Cosmic Alfonzoist/Discordian

Though, I feel I should probably go into some detail about some of the more confusing stages in that...

The second became a Christian, I had very pentecostal leanings, because it was a pentecostal church that revived my faith, though technically I was non-denominational. The little "non-denominational" part I put in after that was the result of my theological understanding becoming so far removed from any church that I knew of that I probably wouldn't even be recognized as a Christian.

Buddhist/Christian hybrid came when I read Buddha, didn't feel that he conflicted with my understanding of Jesus, and put his teachings to practice.

For a short time, I was actually Muslim. I read an Ahmadiyya Koran once straight through, complete with very in depth annotations. After doing this once, I was convinced that Islam was actually pretty cool, and not that bad. I read the Koran a second time through, and was not nearly as impressed with it.

I then studied the Tao Te Ching extensively, and considered it to be "True Islam". while the Ahmadiyya branch of Islam would have accepted the Tao Te Ching as a holy text, to me, The Tao Te Ching was wiser, more thought provoking, and short and to the point than the Koran, which by comparison seems like a bunch of rambling. To me, the "Tao" described in the Tao Te Ching perfectly described what I considered to be God at the time.

After this, I realized that the use of the word "God" is misleading, so I shied away from it, and became one of those outspoken atheist types. By now, I was getting a lot of sh!t for not being a Christian, so I felt the need to vocalize myself. I still considered myself a taoist, even if being an outspoken atheist seems to go contrary to the methods of manipulation present in the Tao Te Ching. hah..

Eventually, I simmered down, because my lack of faith was starting to REALLY negatively effect my life. Being vocal about it only made matters worse. So, I sat down, and formulated my thoughts on the matter, and came up with "Cosmic Alfonzoism". After reading the Principia Discordia, I realized that it had a lot of the conclusions in it that I had came too, and the delivery was done in such a way as to be comical and unpretentious. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously, even though the messages were really deep.

So while I am still a Cosmic Alfonzoist, I'll point over at Discordianism, because its "doctrine" should hopefully put your head in the right place.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 3:22:11 PM
Catholic ---> Atheist

It doesn't matter where someone starts; that's just what their parents told them they were.
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 3:26:19 PM
At 6/14/2011 3:22:11 PM, Danielle wrote:
Catholic ---> Atheist

It doesn't matter where someone starts; that's just what their parents told them they were.

what age were you when you became athiest?
signature
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 3:28:08 PM
Christian -> Agnostic -> Atheist -> Christian -> Muslim -> Buddist -> Atheist -> Catholic -> Baptist -> Jehovah witness -> Amish -> Jedi -> Internet Troll-ism -> back to Christian again
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 4:15:02 PM
Turtle - atheist - extreme narcissist (I reckoned on balance it was fairly probable I was god) - slightly less narcissistic Christian
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 4:27:53 PM
Brain. Just stick to the Word Of God. Dont get caught up in religious
fanatacism or propaganda. And in case youre wondering..........Im Pentacostal, too. But dont tell anybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:37:06 AM
At 6/14/2011 3:28:08 PM, OreEle wrote:
Christian -> Agnostic -> Atheist -> Christian -> Muslim -> Buddist -> Atheist -> Catholic -> Baptist -> Jehovah witness -> Amish -> Jedi -> Internet Troll-ism -> back to Christian again

Amish?
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:39:53 AM
At 6/14/2011 1:27:56 PM, izbo10 wrote:
very early on in life was a lutheran, then became a methodist, now I am athesti. I don't understand the opposite path, I would be curious what evidence was used to go from atheist to christian.

Faith. There is no "intellectual" god to Christians. It's faith that creates religion, for better or worse.
Kfc.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 4:00:09 PM
At 6/14/2011 11:35:00 AM, Brainmaster wrote:
I ask you this- have you ever changed religion?

I have.

First I was an atheist, then a Catholic, and now a Pentecostal.

What about you?

Greek Orthodox Christian- Southern Baptist Christian- Agnostic- Atheist- Agnostic again-Baptist again- Christian with no affiliation in any denomination

That's my journey!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 4:17:50 PM
Christian (Non-denominational ) > Deist > Agnostic Atheist > Strong Atheist (Objectivist) > Strong Atheist > Strong Agnostic > Strong Agnostic + Buddhist + Unitarian Universalist > Discordian
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord