Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Jesus literalist. What would change your mind

GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 1:13:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Jesus literalist. What would change your mind?

Many books on Jesus and Christianity have come out of late questioning the historicity and source of both Jesus and the gospels. Most of these come down on the negative side of Jesus being real or of scripture coming from the apostles.

All who believe in Jesus and scripture must read the Bible literally, to some extent.
After all, what other book give Jesus historicity or literal existence? None.
There is not one historical secular document that I know of that indicates that some miracle working Jesus ever existed.

The Bible begins with a talking serpent and other miracles that defy nature and physics.. This should be warning enough, for anyone who can think independently that the Bible should not be read literally. Alas, this clear message is lost on some believers .

Most scholars know that the Bible is myth and can be read in a variety of ways. As allegory, myth or literal. They choose not to read it literally as that would mean that they would have to believe in fantasy miracles and magic. Most will not take that leap of faith.

The Catholic pope and most mainstream Abraham protestant religions say not to read the Bible literally but as stated above, they must read some of it literally to believe that Jesus actually existed. They do not seem to follow their own advise.

As a follower of a real historic Jesus, do you recognize that you are a literalist?
How deeply do you believe in fantasy, miracles and magic?
As an adult, do you see your fantastic beliefs as those of a healthy mind?

What would it take for you to change your mind about fantasy, miracles and magic being real? These are required for you to believe in a real historic Jesus.

Keeping Jesus divine in our minds may discourage some in trying to follow his lead.

Is there something that would change your mind or start you seeing Jesus as an archetypal good man that we are to emulate?

Regards
DL
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 1:20:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 1:13:55 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
Jesus literalist. What would change your mind?

Many books on Jesus and Christianity have come out of late questioning the historicity and source of both Jesus and the gospels. Most of these come down on the negative side of Jesus being real or of scripture coming from the apostles.







All who believe in Jesus and scripture must read the Bible literally, to some extent.
After all, what other book give Jesus historicity or literal existence? None.
There is not one historical secular document that I know of that indicates that some miracle working Jesus ever existed.

The Bible begins with a talking serpent and other miracles that defy nature and physics.. This should be warning enough, for anyone who can think independently that the Bible should not be read literally. Alas, this clear message is lost on some believers .

Most scholars know that the Bible is myth and can be read in a variety of ways. As allegory, myth or literal. They choose not to read it literally as that would mean that they would have to believe in fantasy miracles and magic. Most will not take that leap of faith.

The Catholic pope and most mainstream Abraham protestant religions say not to read the Bible literally but as stated above, they must read some of it literally to believe that Jesus actually existed. They do not seem to follow their own advise.

As a follower of a real historic Jesus, do you recognize that you are a literalist?
How deeply do you believe in fantasy, miracles and magic?
As an adult, do you see your fantastic beliefs as those of a healthy mind?





What would it take for you to change your mind about fantasy, miracles and magic being real? These are required for you to believe in a real historic Jesus.

Keeping Jesus divine in our minds may discourage some in trying to follow his lead.

Is there something that would change your mind or start you seeing Jesus as an archetypal good man that we are to emulate?


Regards
DL

GreatestIAm. It does not matter what the secularists say.
The state of confusion is a trick created by Satan. Because he knows
that if you remain lost, then there is no hope for you.
GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 9:11:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ya ya.
Satan is real.
So are talking animals and staffs that can turn into snakes.
You forget that to believe in a Satan, you have to believe that God is a back slider.
He began as master of all and then slid back to master of just some.
Backsliding is not allowed for God is it not?

Do you not feel funny following a God who coveted another mans woman and impregnated his own mother with himself.
Now that would be a miracle. To see God leave us for a 9 month R & R after an incestuous fling.

Regards
DL
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 9:43:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is tempting, but for once I'm just going to leave the anti-theistic propoganda alone.

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 7:51:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/24/2011 9:43:21 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This is tempting, but for once I'm just going to leave the anti-theistic propoganda alone.

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

A good way to say that you cannot even best the logic and reason of a fool.
You can let your swollen head return to normal any time.

Quite the theist attitude you have.
So much for hate the sin and love the sinner when you will not attempt to do your religious duty and correct.

Whose the fool?
And better a fool than a hypocrite.

Regards
DL
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 9:20:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:51:03 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 6/24/2011 9:43:21 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This is tempting, but for once I'm just going to leave the anti-theistic propoganda alone.

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

A good way to say that you cannot even best the logic and reason of a fool.
You can let your swollen head return to normal any time.

I didn't call you a fool, you did. If my head were swollen, I'd go ahead and argue that I can prove that Jesus indeed existed, to someone who mocks Him, doesn't want to believe, and is out to try and destroy religious beliefs, in general. I have enough humility to admit that I can't possibly compete with the logic and truth contained in youtube videos.

Quite the theist attitude you have.

Thank you.

So much for hate the sin and love the sinner when you will not attempt to do your religious duty and correct. Whose the fool? And better a fool than a hypocrite.

I love all people, and this doesn't even speak to that issue. I'm not a hypocrite because you misinterpet my religious duty. My religious duty requires me to give an answer to those who inquire about the faith within me but with gentleness and reverence (not an exact quote of the verse). In other words, if someone is interested in why I have faith, or is looking for answers, it is my job to help them as best I can. You and I have clashed before, and it was not a constructive conversation. You have no interest in my beliefs, you have an agenda to try and destroy them, and try to do so with ridicule. I have no religious duty to waste time in those situations where the person's only interest is to advance their anti-theistic agenda, thus the meaning of Matthew 7:6.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 9:32:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The real clincher is that no translations of the bible can be read literally, because all the translations are different from the wording. The only way that you can even think of taking the bible literally, is to learn ancient Hebrew and read the original text.

When you do this... You find that a very different picture is painted.

Then once you do that... You have to accept that it's just a book and you must use your common sense to understand what God is, not stories from a book.