Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Brainwashed

Darwin
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 6:48:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You can't really disprove the existence of god, so people can believe whatever they want. It's really not a problem, unless it causes intolerance, hatred, or bad social policy.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:59:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
No! God is real, and YOU are a fairy tale!

HAH, showed you.

At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.

fairies have tails? the only light you are seeing is the like from the fires of HELL. God didn't come from no where, he came from Mary, stupid.

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

Why wouldn't you want to be brainwashed? Cleanliness is next to godliness, duh. The Earth is fuggin old. 6,000 years ago was like a long time ago, dawg. If you take 6,000 and times it by the number of titties adam didn't get to see, it's pretty obvious.

Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

Evolution is new, but you don't call that a fairy tale! Computers are new, but are they fairy tale?

The bible is the direct word of god, and you are going to hell. enjoy roasting TURKEY dogs with Hitler.

But there is a way to redeem yourself, god is very loving and forgiving. You just gotta BELIEVE. If you can't believe though, you are fvcked. Probably shouldn't have played D&D and listened to all that metal music.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 9:39:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails.

And I'm assuming that the following would be reasons why.

Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this.

Why would an eternal entity need to be created? (I feel like I'm about to get pummeled by one of the more knowledgeable members...)

Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.

I'm honestly not that sure, but I don't think most Christians would say that there was a time when God just "appeared from nowhere".

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist.

Oh.

The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.

I don't think evolution makes any statement about the existence of a god.

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

Young earth creationists aren't the only Christians.

Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew?

Something about a new covenant.

Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

I would be more than happy to, but your reasons don't seem to be particularly strong.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 12:18:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

No offense, but if you're going to convince me you'll have to do much better than that.

No one created God. He is an eternal being. He has always existed; He has no first cause. In fact, to God time doesn't even exist. To say He always existed is almost a bit of a misnomer because "always" denotes the passage of time. Before the universe was created, there was no concept of time. Regardless, God has no first cause; He is the first cause.

"It is impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere."

Yet this is exactly what Evolutionists would have us believe. The universe had a beginning; we know this because it is winding down. If the universe were eternal, it would be static. Yet we know that the universe is constantly expanding.

God created the entire universe ex nihilo. This is more likely than the universe coming from nothing without an outside force. Something cannot just spring into existence from nothing, but it could if there were a powerful enough being to do it.

Jesus was a Jew, and as such He came to fulfill the law (not abolish it). What separates Christians from Jews is that we believe Jesus was the Messiah and they didn't.

The problem is that we live in a universe that appears to be much older than it is. God created Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults though only being a few seconds old, and Jesus turned water into good, aged wine. There is precedent. God created the universe with the appearance of age because everything had to work properly right out the gate.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 12:39:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher
Okay.

But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails.
"Fairy TALES". Why?

Who created this "almighty creator"?
Since when did the creator deity who made the universe needed to be created? But I see your point.

Noone could answer this.
True. ["No one"]

Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.
I don't know about that, though. Nothingness might be a part of existence...

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist.
Well, just because we don't know about the creator, doesn't mean he exists...But, okay. Your doubts helped reinforce that feeling.

The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.
I just want to point that evolution occurs in stages, and does not create life in an instant or short period of time as indicated by the word "created".

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

We've already opened our eyes.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 12:48:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

And some how Evolution is better? They believed a big bang just happened out of nowhere.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,923
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 12:57:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

Perhaps my brainwashing is particularly strong but I don't find the reasons you gave compelling.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 2:01:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

Although being an atheist, i understand and agree with most of what you say, its useless to type that out in a thread like this. Most christians have already made their own twisted rationalizations that are beyond logic and reason.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 2:59:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah sure, evolution makes sense if you start out the process by saying that "God" was the first life and all other life evolved from God after that. All life being of the spirit and eternal. "Spiritual" evolution happens just as "physical" evolution does. The body is a machine that the spirit animates. Evolution of the flesh is just an efficient way of keeping the machine updated to the environment in which it must exist. Spiritual evolution comes from gaining intelligence and wisdom.

Conclusion: God was the first life that started the chain of evolution. God's physical body is everything "physical" that we see around us and God's spirit is what animates everything that we call "life". It is really just an extension of God. Evolution is just a word to describe the observation of an eternal number of changes that God goes through in it's existence. The existence and changes are what we call "actuality" or "reality". God is everything. We are God. God is us.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 6:26:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.

God didn't "appear from nowhere." If God is all powerful, then he could exist "forever." However, I believe that God created time, so we can't look at "living forever before creating earth" in those sort of terms.

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist.

For me, it was the other way around. I was atheist and then converted to Christianity.

The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.

... Seriously? Don't cry "evolution created us!" You need to explain how you believe the first single cell organism that all life evolved from came from.

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

Not all Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old. The majority of Christians on this site don't.

Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew?

Christians are our own sect from Judaism. We came out of Judaism. Kinda like how Buddhism came out of Hinduism. Jesus was the Messiah that the Jews talked about. Yeah, Jesus was a Jew because He was born in a Jewish home to fulfill the Jewish prophecies... He had to be. The Messiah had to be a descendant of King David.

Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

Why is the Bible a bunch of "fantasy fairy tails/tales?" What evidence do you have saying that it is?
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 6:55:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

Very interesting idea.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Justin_Chains
Posts: 623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 10:22:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.

No, I wish they were. Machines would attempt to give children an complete knowledge and mindset to understand all information. Machines would not pass bigotry onto latter generations. And machines will above all not accept failure or narrow view [if programmed correctly]. Plus they would be better at maintaining discipline and integrity by not understanding sympathy and having no emotions. And you are right, it shall be an long time before we have the technology to build machines that would be capable of doing this task effectively.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 10:42:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.

We need machines to teach religion to the new generation.
Kfc.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 12:12:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 10:42:17 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.

We need machines to teach religion to the new generation.

We need machines to kill trolls.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 12:18:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 12:12:42 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 6/25/2011 10:42:17 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.

We need machines to teach religion to the new generation.

We need machines to kill trolls.

Sigged.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 11:39:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 12:18:24 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

No offense, but if you're going to convince me you'll have to do much better than that.

Well, it seems that Darwin claims to be "brainwashed" by the foundations of his scriptures, despite the implication that he's trying to brainwash others to abandon his religion. I don't know if that's true, though...

No one created God. He is an eternal being. He has always existed; He has no first cause.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." [1]

In fact, to God time doesn't even exist. To say He always existed is almost a bit of a misnomer because "always" denotes the passage of time. Before the universe was created, there was no concept of time. Regardless, God has no first cause; He is the first cause.
True...Time, especially the passage of days and years, did not exist (as we have conceptualized it as), before the fourth day, where God created two great lights, which are hinted to be the sun and moon. [2]

"It is impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere."

Yet this is exactly what Evolutionists would have us believe. The universe had a beginning; we know this because it is winding down. If the universe were eternal, it would be static. Yet we know that the universe is constantly expanding.

Um...Well, according to evolution, or just modern science, the Big Bang theory states that "the universe was originally in an extremely hot and dense state that expanded rapidly. This expansion caused the universe to cool and resulted in the present diluted state that continues to expand today." [3]

God created the entire universe ex nihilo. This is more likely than the universe coming from nothing without an outside force. Something cannot just spring into existence from nothing, but it could if there were a powerful enough being to do it.


Jesus was a Jew, and as such He came to fulfill the law (not abolish it). What separates Christians from Jews is that we believe Jesus was the Messiah and they didn't.

The problem is that we live in a universe that appears to be much older than it is. God created Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults though only being a few seconds old, and Jesus turned water into good, aged wine. There is precedent. God created the universe with the appearance of age because everything had to work properly right out the gate.

I respect your belief, though as an atheist, I would disagree to an extent.

[1]John 1:1–5, NIV (BibleGateway).
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 12:44:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

I will grant that, maybe, some Christians are brainwashed. I will grant that possibly some have the theological sophistication as shallow as a kiddie pool.

I will not grant that all are like this. I will also say that some Christian positions are reasonable, given certain presuppositions. I will also say that there exist some very sophisticated arguments for the existence of God. I cannot imagine looking upon an articulated argument from Plantinga or Swineburn without being impressed by the intelligence therein.

I don't believe there arguments ultimately show their positions to be true, but I cannot just hand wave away all Christians as shovel-headed morons.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 2:04:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails.

Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this.

No one created Him. He is eternal. Therefore he does not need to have a beginning in order to exist.

Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.

I don't believe that.

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.

Why can't God have used evolution to create us? And because of the improbability of everything being created by chance isn't more likely that if evolution is true, it was guided by some living entity.

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

I don't believe it is 6,000 years old.

Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew?

Not sure I get your argument here.

Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

Do a debate on the existence of God. I would be interested in seeing it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 2:28:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 11:39:35 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 6/25/2011 12:18:24 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

No offense, but if you're going to convince me you'll have to do much better than that.

Well, it seems that Darwin claims to be "brainwashed" by the foundations of his scriptures, despite the implication that he's trying to brainwash others to abandon his religion. I don't know if that's true, though...

No one created God. He is an eternal being. He has always existed; He has no first cause.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." [1]

In fact, to God time doesn't even exist. To say He always existed is almost a bit of a misnomer because "always" denotes the passage of time. Before the universe was created, there was no concept of time. Regardless, God has no first cause; He is the first cause.
True...Time, especially the passage of days and years, did not exist (as we have conceptualized it as), before the fourth day, where God created two great lights, which are hinted to be the sun and moon. [2]

"It is impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere."

Yet this is exactly what Evolutionists would have us believe. The universe had a beginning; we know this because it is winding down. If the universe were eternal, it would be static. Yet we know that the universe is constantly expanding.

Um...Well, according to evolution, or just modern science, the Big Bang theory states that "the universe was originally in an extremely hot and dense state that expanded rapidly. This expansion caused the universe to cool and resulted in the present diluted state that continues to expand today." [3]

God created the entire universe ex nihilo. This is more likely than the universe coming from nothing without an outside force. Something cannot just spring into existence from nothing, but it could if there were a powerful enough being to do it.


Jesus was a Jew, and as such He came to fulfill the law (not abolish it). What separates Christians from Jews is that we believe Jesus was the Messiah and they didn't.

The problem is that we live in a universe that appears to be much older than it is. God created Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults though only being a few seconds old, and Jesus turned water into good, aged wine. There is precedent. God created the universe with the appearance of age because everything had to work properly right out the gate.

I respect your belief, though as an atheist, I would disagree to an extent.

[1]John 1:1–5, NIV (BibleGateway).
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...

I understand, and as an atheist, I wouldn't expect you to agree with all of my views.

Regarding your point about the universe, do scientists, then, claim that the universe is eternal, it's only expanding because of the big bang?

Also, regarding my part about God creating the universe with the appearance of age, of course this requires faith to believe. But belief in God requires faith. In order to believe this point of view you must first, of course, assume the existence of God.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,923
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 3:26:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 2:28:38 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
The problem is that we live in a universe that appears to be much older than it is. God created Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults though only being a few seconds old, and Jesus turned water into good, aged wine. There is precedent. God created the universe with the appearance of age because everything had to work properly right out the gate.

Also, regarding my part about God creating the universe with the appearance of age, of course this requires faith to believe. But belief in God requires faith. In order to believe this point of view you must first, of course, assume the existence of God.

I have to confess this literally makes no sense to me so perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. You're saying that God created the universe with the "appearance" of age so everything would "work properly". What is this even supposed to mean?* Work properly how? Taking the age of the universe for instance - it seems that for the earth to have conditions suitable for complex life the process needed to happen over billions of years. Now, you're saying that it only "appears" that way, and it being only a mere appearance, is not the way things are actually. I gather that, in actuality, you think the physical universe is thousands of years old. Well, if the process needed to *actually* have taken billions of years then everything wouldn't be "working properly" if the process (that seems to need to take billions of years) is a only mere appearance.
It seems that you need to be committed to claim that if the appearance of a billions of years old universe is required to have things "work properly" then the actuality of a billions of years old universe is required to have things "work properly".

*Are you referring to something like "proper function"?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:01:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 2:28:38 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 6/26/2011 11:39:35 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 6/25/2011 12:18:24 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails. Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this. Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere. More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist. The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years. As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior? Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew? Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

No offense, but if you're going to convince me you'll have to do much better than that.

Well, it seems that Darwin claims to be "brainwashed" by the foundations of his scriptures, despite the implication that he's trying to brainwash others to abandon his religion. I don't know if that's true, though...

No one created God. He is an eternal being. He has always existed; He has no first cause.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." [1]

In fact, to God time doesn't even exist. To say He always existed is almost a bit of a misnomer because "always" denotes the passage of time. Before the universe was created, there was no concept of time. Regardless, God has no first cause; He is the first cause.
True...Time, especially the passage of days and years, did not exist (as we have conceptualized it as), before the fourth day, where God created two great lights, which are hinted to be the sun and moon. [2]

"It is impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere."

Yet this is exactly what Evolutionists would have us believe. The universe had a beginning; we know this because it is winding down. If the universe were eternal, it would be static. Yet we know that the universe is constantly expanding.

Um...Well, according to evolution, or just modern science, the Big Bang theory states that "the universe was originally in an extremely hot and dense state that expanded rapidly. This expansion caused the universe to cool and resulted in the present diluted state that continues to expand today." [3]

God created the entire universe ex nihilo. This is more likely than the universe coming from nothing without an outside force. Something cannot just spring into existence from nothing, but it could if there were a powerful enough being to do it.


Jesus was a Jew, and as such He came to fulfill the law (not abolish it). What separates Christians from Jews is that we believe Jesus was the Messiah and they didn't.

The problem is that we live in a universe that appears to be much older than it is. God created Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults though only being a few seconds old, and Jesus turned water into good, aged wine. There is precedent. God created the universe with the appearance of age because everything had to work properly right out the gate.

I respect your belief, though as an atheist, I would disagree to an extent.

[1]John 1:1–5, NIV (BibleGateway).
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...

I understand, and as an atheist, I wouldn't expect you to agree with all of my views.

Regarding your point about the universe, do scientists, then, claim that the universe is eternal, it's only expanding because of the big bang?

I'll try to answer that question with a little more research on my part.

Also, regarding my part about God creating the universe with the appearance of age, of course this requires faith to believe. But belief in God requires faith. In order to believe this point of view you must first, of course, assume the existence of God.

Well, honestly, Kant himself "concluded that this world was not sufficient in itself, that an external power, which he identified with God, was a regulative necessity; and that God was a requisite for morality, it gives meaning to our life here on earth. The existence of God was, for Kant, but one of three postulates of morality, the other two being freedom of the will, and immortality of the soul." [1]

Basically, the belief in god might not necessarily equate to the assumption that God must, and absolutely must, exist. To Kant, that could not be proven, though he did find that belief to be an underlying cause of morality. When I read a few articles describing the works of Kant, especially the Critique of Pratical Reason, I stumbled upon a summary of Kant's views here. I agree with the German philosopher: to a certain extent, the belief in God gives meaning to life and to some degree stabilizes it.

Yes, belief does=faith. I see your point, but in this case, this belief serves more the purpose of retaining our morality than servitude to God, I guess. This is what I have to say of Kant. I have yet to study or read his work more extensively. I hope that I probably get a good look on philosophy and literature because it could offer, to an extent, a great advantage in my own personal life and on this website.

I hope I helped.

[1] http://www.blupete.com...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:04:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:48:09 AM, darkkermit wrote:
You can't really disprove the existence of god, so people can believe whatever they want. It's really not a problem, unless it causes intolerance, hatred, or bad social policy.

I agree. Many atheists characterize a belief in the existence of god as causing "intolerance, hatred, or bad social policy". One member on this website even stated that religion caused several hate crimes, discrimination against ethic groups and minorities, and so on.

It's the same if I, assuming that I am a Christian in this hypothetical scenario, said that all those who fail to believe in God are the Anti-christs and are living lives of sin and indulgences. Off course, a life without belief in God is not necessarily bad as what I just wrote. Again, things have their extents and ranges.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:06:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 12:12:42 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 6/25/2011 10:42:17 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:00:02 PM, Justin_Chains wrote:
At 6/25/2011 7:57:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:37:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I think that children should be raised by whole communities rather than just two parents. This would greatly reduce the risk for indoctrination and has many other benefits.

I say they should be raised by machines, it accomplishes the same feats and further decreases any probability of irrational thought and bias.

Aren't children basically raised by machines now? I guess it's too far of a step before what you are saying actually becomes reality.

We need machines to teach religion to the new generation.

We need machines to kill trolls.

Trolls can't be killed by machines. They'll just use their big stick and break the machine's armor and dig at its CPU.

[In case if it wasn't obvious, I was just joking.]
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:16:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 9:39:04 AM, Denote wrote:
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher. But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails.

And I'm assuming that the following would be reasons why.

Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this.

Why would an eternal entity need to be created? (I feel like I'm about to get pummeled by one of the more knowledgeable members...)

To create implies that another being did so to create God. This is not true since we know that the "Word" that was with God was God (see previous post, in response to KeyTarHero's)


Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.

I'm honestly not that sure, but I don't think most Christians would say that there was a time when God just "appeared from nowhere".

This is vague. Genesis doesn't describe God "appear[ing] from nowhere", but begins with "At first, God created the sky, and the Earth." [1]
And the narrative goes on to describe the separation of the waters or the firmament by the actions of God. So I'm assuming that this is just an interpretation: the assumption is that before God, there was nothing (indicated by the word "nowhere").


More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist.

Oh.
What did you study? The religion?


The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.

I don't think evolution makes any statement about the existence of a god.
Evolution is, by definition, the gradual changes of living species [over long periods of time]. Creation indicates a time of inception that is much shorter, and localized, than evolution.

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

Young earth creationists aren't the only Christians.
I guess.


Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew?

Something about a new covenant.
Yep; to sum it up, a covenant was created between God to the people of Israel.


Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

I don't want to sound mean, but do fairies have tails? You meant fairy tales, I guess.
And please, if you're willing to insult the Bible as "nothing more than [as quoted] a fantasy fairy tail", then please offer proof to show that it is so.

I might be an atheist, but if I were a Christian, I would find this message silly. I

I would be more than happy to, but your reasons don't seem to be particularly strong.

I do agree. I might kind of agree with you, but "your reasons don't seem to be particularly strong." Namely, the reasons are almost non-existent without proof.
And your narrative and so-called realization are bit farfetched: they are not specific and are vague.
[1] Genesis, 1:1
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:27:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 6:43:12 AM, Darwin wrote:
I was once a Christian, raised in a very strong Christian family, Father was a preacher.
Well, it seems you were "brainwashed" for a part of your life. It seems suspicious, because your details are so vague. You steretypically placed yourself in this "very strong Christian family" with "Father...a preacher." After reading your post, I'm interested in how Father responded to your awakening....

I guess Father was brainwashing others with his teachings, when he was still a preacher.

But as time went on, I began to see the true light, that all these biblical teachings were nothing more than fairy tails.
How? When? Where?

Who created this "almighty creator"? Noone could answer this.
Correction: Everyone can answer it, but not know if it is the truth or not.

Its impossible for anything to just appear from nowhere.
Assumption made by member. Where does the Bible say that before God, there was "nowhere".

More I studied, the more I realised I was brain-washed like millions of others, to believe in somthing that didn't exist.
So, you kept on getting brainwashed by religion.

The truth is, yes we were created but not by some "almighty creator" you call a God, but by Evolution, over billions of years.
I don't want to appear mean, but this sentence shows a big misunderstanding of evolution and creation. Saying that we "were created by...Evolution, over billions of years" is silly because Evolution is a process and creation indicates a time period shorter/or even indefinite as compared to that "billions of years".

As most Christians believe the Earth to be only 6000 years old, why is it then there is physical evidence of humans being on earth thousands of years prior?

Why is it that "Christianity" is a sect unto their own,and relatively new (make belief again) when this so-called Jesus was a Jew?
I have to admit: "Christianity" isn't a sect, since a sect is "a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith". After all, saying that the religion of Christianity is a "body of persons" is ridiculous.
And by the way, Christianity isn't relatively new. If we accept the existence of the historical Jesus Christ, then Christianity began during the time of imperial Rome, its church being in existence centuries after Christ's crucification. It is not "relatively new". And plus, that "make belief again" is just due to your personal opinion.

Open your eyes as I have done, and you will see all this Bible stuff is nothing more than a fantasy fairy tail.

I can't open my eyes because they're glued to reading your post.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau