Jump to topic:

The Ledge (An "Atheist" Movie)

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:29:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just finished watching The Ledge and actually thought it was pretty a decent movie. From what I gather this is supposed to be a "breakout" movie for atheists like "Brokeback Mountain" was for gay people, I guess. Well, that's what I gather from roaming the atheist blogosphere for 5 minutes.

It's basically about this atheist guy who ends up having an affair the wife of a fundamentalist Christian man and he ends up on "the ledge".

Warning: there is cursing, "coarse" language, and nudity in the movie. There's not really a lot (in comparison to a lot of contemporary movies) but it's definitely there. Just letting the people who are disinclined to watch those type of things know.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:31:32 PM
I saw some stuff about it and I'm kind of interested I have to admit. As to being the 'brokeback' for Atheists, I'll reserve my comment until after I see it. I have doubts...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:42:56 PM
At 6/27/2011 9:31:32 PM, Meatros wrote:
I saw some stuff about it and I'm kind of interested I have to admit. As to being the 'brokeback' for Atheists, I'll reserve my comment until after I see it. I have doubts...

I don't think it was a bad movie so it's probably worth a shot for you.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 1:20:16 AM
I'm gonna guess at the plot before I see it.

Athiest man gets girl.
Girl has fundamentalist christian parents
Parents dont like guy
Force tensions
Guy goes onto a ledge to kill himself
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:13:34 AM
At 6/30/2011 1:20:16 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I'm gonna guess at the plot before I see it.

Athiest man gets girl.
Girl has fundamentalist christian parents
Parents dont like guy
Force tensions
Guy goes onto a ledge to kill himself

Nope.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:15:55 AM
So far it's got 0 out of 5 good reviews on RT, and come to think of it I hear this atheist/christian banter all the time on DDO and if the film is going to rely heavily on these speeches it sort of turns me off for the time being. If I catch it on TV I'll probably watch it, but I don't think I'd go out of my way at this point.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2011 5:22:19 PM
At 6/27/2011 9:29:46 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I just finished watching The Ledge and actually thought it was pretty a decent movie. From what I gather this is supposed to be a "breakout" movie for atheists like "Brokeback Mountain" was for gay people, I guess. Well, that's what I gather from roaming the atheist blogosphere for 5 minutes.

From the 1st clip you posted I decided I didn't want to watch it, because the atheist guy's acting was absolutely terrible in that scene. However the 2nd trailer showed more of the plot and it seemed pretty interesting: atheist sleeps with fundamentalist guy's wife, and because of his religion the fundy doesn't know how to react, though I assume it doesn't turn out well based on the atheist guy feeling forced to jump off a ledge in order to (presumably) save the girl. Something tells me the fundy doesn't act very Christ-like toward the atheist but obviously that's not surprising... they never do :P

Why does this stand out as an atheist breakout film though? With Brokeback Mountain, homosexuality was the key to the plot because the fact that it was two men who were in love and all the drama surrounding that fact BECAUSE of them being gay was the entire point. However from the trailer, it seems as if the movie is about the affair and subsequent consequences - almost as if it wouldn't matter if the other guy was an atheist at all. Is it just all the religious dialog that makes it seem as if atheism is being highlighted? Or are the 2 ideals and ideologies somehow competing against each other in the film? If not, I don't think it's really that special in terms of atheism. I'm curious enough to check out the movie when it comes out next week :)
President of DDO
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2011 7:49:51 PM
At 7/2/2011 6:01:53 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
I don't see how having Christian Dinosaurs would have helped that movie at all.

Raptor Jesus?
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2011 4:22:21 AM
At 7/2/2011 5:47:57 PM, Minuteman wrote:
At 7/1/2011 3:13:19 PM, Veridas wrote:
Atheists already have a breaking out film.

It's called Jurrasic Park.

That's why it sucked.

Well I know someone who has sh*t taste in films.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2011 6:52:49 PM
At 7/2/2011 5:22:19 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/27/2011 9:29:46 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Why does this stand out as an atheist breakout film though? With Brokeback Mountain, homosexuality was the key to the plot because the fact that it was two men who were in love and all the drama surrounding that fact BECAUSE of them being gay was the entire point. However from the trailer, it seems as if the movie is about the affair and subsequent consequences - almost as if it wouldn't matter if the other guy was an atheist at all. Is it just all the religious dialog that makes it seem as if atheism is being highlighted? Or are the 2 ideals and ideologies somehow competing against each other in the film?

They are - kind of. There are scatterings of other subplots going on in the movie as well. The policeman (Terrence Howard) is Catholic and he's trying to cope with a serious familial issue in the movie; his interaction with atheist guy kind of changes his perspective a little. Atheist guy is also living with a gay roommate who is into the New Age-y type religion and they get into it a bit. Fundamentalist guy isn't too keen on the gay roommate either. It's kind of hard for me to explain all of it without spoiling the plot, so assuming you're still going to see it, I won't go further.

If not, I don't think it's really that special in terms of atheism. I'm curious enough to check out the movie when it comes out next week :)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2011 8:12:01 AM
Why would Atheists need a 'break out' movie?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.