Jump to topic:

how do you define marriage?

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 10:57:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
when I ask this question, I do not mean to look to see if you would say "marriage is between one man and one woman" and why or the opposite "marriage is between two people" or " between one man and potentially many women" or something like that.

I dont want to know more about your opinions on the qualifiers of who can participate in marriage, but rather I'd like to hear as deep as your opinions go on just what it is that those you do think can participate in it are participating in exactly.

I'm talking about your opinion on what is that happens between the souls/spirits of the married, does it happen overnight (or over the honeymoon rather) does this only happen for those in marriage or can this bond be between anyone (like the body of christ, the church, is said to be 'one')?

can your soul become one with anyone you go through a wedding ceremony with or is there just one specific person out there that qualifies by your definition that a true marriage can work for?

also what is it about marriage that is so special and important that in this life Jesus was strongly against divorce (with few exceptions) and yet its still unimportant in that he said none will be in marriage or given in marriage after the Resurrection? How does 'being like the angles' mean something that would get in the way of your definition of marriage?

for those with a more secular view that includes no existance of souls or spirits, what is your definition of marriage?

is it just a socially acceptable excuse for having sex?
is it a made up thing by the IRS to give benefits (forgetably sized benefits) to the married?
Is it a stage in the 'relationship' of those that are marrying?
can this level of relationship only be truely accomplished by two paticular people (soul mates)?
is it impossible for a best freind to be closer than your spouse because of this unique relationship you have with them.
How is your 'love' for your spouse (if love is part of your definition) defirent than your love for anything else you should love? your parents? your dog? your car? your country? your union? your proctologist? is it just the addition of lust?

some other questions about whatever your definition of marriage is, (for the secular and non-secular views) does your spouse by definition 'complete' you in some way? how?
would you consider the notion of being completed by your spouse absurd, as if to think that of them would be to make a demi-god/godess out of them, a standard they cant meet. that only God/Jesus can complete you? (I guess this question is actually more targeted to non-secular view on marriage)

tell me everything you think you know about marriage, or even the relationship level of two who are meant to marry one day and will but haven't yet. is it the same just without the vows taken yet? or is it a pale shadow of what is developed later on and achievable between any two people when its at that stage?

do try to phrase your answers as if you are trying to express your view to a guy who is single, thus does not draw from experience to be able to totally get any experienced dependent explanations of your views on marriage.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 1:51:42 AM
is this spam seriously the only response I get to my thread. how is it 100 people post on a thread started by intergator and I start one about a deep topic all I get is just a dumb marriage joke?

had I made this thread a pro- or anti-gay marriage thread it would be full of liberal post of how its unfair or evil to deny gays the right to marry or conservatives posting scriptures to go with how 'traditional' marriage is only between opposite genders and reasons for why we should not lose that definition or discourage traditional marriage.

but I ask the simple question of just what is it you all so often argue you want the gays to have to, or to keep 'sanctified' and not let the gays have a right to it rather than just post about who can or cannot participate in it and you are all speechless.

I think for all the lack of liberal post in this thread it shows none of you really care about allowing gays the 'freedom' to get married, you just want to shove a social 'acceptance' agenda down everyone else's throats

and to all the conservatives I'm even more disappointed in for if you really cared about keeping the 'sanctity' of marriage and 'encouraging traditional marriage' surely you would have an opinion here on just what sanctified thing your talking about.

Let me tell you were I find myself standing right now on that passage I'm not 100% sure about what to make out of it.

I find it really odd when talking about marriage and what Jesus 'hard sayings' were on the topic how the passage about marrying a divorced woman is the same as adultery for what 'god has put together let no man separate it' is always the used one for the sermon.

But never is the one about how there will be no marriages in heaven quoted. granted to main point of that lesson was Jesus appologetic's to the Sadducee's that a resurrection would one day indeed occur, but still yet he gave away something deeper that potentially defines marriage there than the rest of the bible does. he said we will not be married to our former spouses after the Resurrection and will not be given in marriage again, but we will be 'like the angles'

Right now I'm thinking that means its not anything worth sanctifying, and the people who make a big deal over divorce are making too big a deal on the things of this world and not keeping there eyes on the things that matter, that last for eternity, the things of heaven. the truly sanctified things, things that will never include marriage.

conclusion: marriage is not important. it does not matter in the spiritual sense, if anything its a bad idea to even bother with (1 Corinthians)

someone please argue with me on this because I want to believe I am taking this to a irrational extreme but I don't see how I am.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 1:56:56 AM
I don't define marriage. Definitions come from what a word is commonly used to mean, I don't think anyone has the authority to actually define it.

To actually answer the question, I use "marriage" to mean "people making a commitment to love each other for a lengthy period of time". I don't claim that to be the definition of marriage, only that it's the definition of marriage that I use.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:02:47 AM
At 7/1/2011 1:56:56 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I don't define marriage. Definitions come from what a word is commonly used to mean, I don't think anyone has the authority to actually define it.

To actually answer the question, I use "marriage" to mean "people making a commitment to love each other for a lengthy period of time". I don't claim that to be the definition of marriage, only that it's the definition of marriage that I use.

So you contend that definitions are not set in stone and can change according to how certain terms are used by the general population?
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:04:53 AM
Marriage is a contract between consenting adults that binds them socially, financially, and legally. Anyone who has the ability to form contracts has the right to "marriage". For this reason and this reason alone, plants and animals do not have the right to marriage. It is not because marriage is sacred or special, it's just because plants and animals are incapable of forming contracts.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:05:23 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:02:47 AM, jat93 wrote:

So you contend that definitions are not set in stone and can change according to how certain terms are used by the general population?

Yes, I do.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:13:37 AM

then no one has the right to desire it in law, as its not defined than you cant desire something that has no definition. it by definition is 'meaningless' without a common term people should have to supersede there general 'notions' they associate with to that definition. and something that is meaningless in that sense gives no reason to be wanted and is not worth anyone arguing to have for themselves.

then by your personal definition, all people every where should marry each other. and I don't mean every one should pair up with someone, I mean everyone in a whole community should unite in one polygamous marriage together.

by the definition you just gave. unless you want to expand some on what you mean by 'love'

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:23:16 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:04:53 AM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Marriage is a contract between consenting adults that binds them socially, financially, and legally.

if it binds them financially than there a lot of marriages that are not marriages by that definition where prenuptial contracts are made that eliminate the financial connection.

if all that one seeks after in marriage though is a legal contract then one should never even bother looking to seek more than civil unions as that should satisfy what they are looking for.

A Scout is Obedient.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:34:21 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:23:16 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 7/1/2011 2:04:53 AM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Marriage is a contract between consenting adults that binds them socially, financially, and legally.

if it binds them financially than there a lot of marriages that are not marriages by that definition where prenuptial contracts are made that eliminate the financial connection.

As with any type of contract, not everyone is the same. Marriage though will usually have at least one of the qualities I mentioned(financial, social, legal).

if all that one seeks after in marriage though is a legal contract then one should never even bother looking to seek more than civil unions as that should satisfy what they are looking for.

The thing that gets most people about civil unions(me included) is the idea that homosexual couples can be afforded the same rights as marriage, but they just can't call it marriage. It's insulting really. Separate but equal doesn't really work. If a civil union and a marriage grant a couple the exact same rights then why call them by any other name? What really is the difference in just calling a civil union a marriage and having it legally recognized as such if it has all the same qualities?
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:56:15 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:54:56 AM, Contradiction wrote:
Marriage is a conjugal between one man and one woman [or two men or two women]. :)
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:57:36 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:56:15 AM, Freeman wrote:
Marriage is a conjugal between one man and one woman [or two men or two women]. :)

;). freeman and contradiction, I'd love to see you two debate.
We're both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you.
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 2:58:33 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:57:36 AM, GMDebater wrote:

We already are.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:01:04 AM
At 7/1/2011 2:58:33 AM, Contradiction wrote:

We already are.

abortion=/=gay marriage
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:01:29 AM

We already are.

perfect. I am still awaiting yournchallenge.
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:03:43 AM
if you are against homosexual marriage, blaim the straights. they kee having gay babies.
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:03:58 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:01:04 AM, Tim_Spin wrote:

We already are.

abortion=/=gay marriage

?
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:07:04 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:03:58 AM, Contradiction wrote:

We already are.

abortion=/=gay marriage

?

my thoughts exactly. WHAT?
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:07:26 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:03:58 AM, Contradiction wrote:

We already are.

abortion=/=gay marriage

?

I was confused. I thought you guys were debating abortion. MY bad.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:07:34 AM
Marriage is when you blindfold and tie someone to your bed, and have sex with them until they die. In heterosexual marriages, it is usually the man that does this to the woman, but if you know a guy who is poosie whipped, it is probably him. Normally humans do not do this with non-primates(which is just short for primary mate. The more you know) or inanimate objects, but it has been known to happen. The invention of the shop vac, and the proliferation of Japanese culture in The States has caused incidents of both to rise, even when population growth is taken into account.

If you are a good spouse who learned responsibility by having hamsters as a child, this marriage might last several years, and may even result in children(cheap labor). It really depends on your ability to keep your lover's area clean(prevents disease), and your ability to make sure that the ropes and straps are taken well care of. Forgetting to feed and water him/her can also lead to an early demise.

Also, make sure to do research and find out what your pet human can and can not eat. Bleach and tree bark do not lead to a fine coat sheen, and in some cases can be very detrimental to the human biological homeostasis.

The government likes to get in the way of marriage, saying who can and can not marry who.. But really, the religious are the only ones stupid enough to care about whether something is called "marriage" or not. Let government dish out civil unions to all. The churches can decide who they wish to recognize as being married or not.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:08:26 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:05:47 AM, Mirza wrote:
Marriage is a conjugal between one man and one woman.
Or one man and a few women.

Oh hell yeah, I'm so converting to Islam.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:10:09 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:08:26 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Just take your time looking at the implications. It's a lifetime thing.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:10:57 AM

Let me analyze. You're pro consensual gay marriage. You're con consensual multiple-spouse marriage. Double-standards? I think so.

See, inconsistent beliefs.
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:11:49 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:10:57 AM, Mirza wrote:

Let me analyze. You're pro consensual gay marriage. You're con consensual multiple-spouse marriage. Double-standards? I think so.

The slippery slope is not a valid argument.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:14:26 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:11:49 AM, GMDebater wrote:

It's not slippery slope. If your argument is that anything consensual, not very harmful, between adult human beings is allowed, then there is no justification for something of the exact same sort not to be allowed. That's why we use the term "double-standards."
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2011 3:24:07 AM
At 7/1/2011 3:14:26 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 7/1/2011 3:11:49 AM, GMDebater wrote:

It's not slippery slope. If your argument is that anything consensual, not very harmful, between adult human beings is allowed, then there is no justification for something of the exact same sort not to be allowed. That's why we use the term "double-standards."

What you're doing is attemoting to make an emotionally charged objection. Furthermore, who said we shouldnt allow polygamy?