Jump to topic:

We did it!

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:57:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
For the first time in DDO history, the atheists outnumber the Christians in terms of the actual tally.

2338 http://www.debate.org... Atheists

2337 http://www.debate.org... Christians
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:59:34 AM
1: We don't have any Christians here do we?

2: Why are you exalting in this? Atheism is an intellectual position, not a tribal one.

3: Great... so no hope of a decent debate with someone with an opposing view.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:36:53 AM
Really? That's surprising. I always that atheists had always out numbered Christians on this site. 0_o
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:40:17 AM
There are 1,558 agnostics on this site. Agnostics usually believe that there's not God, they just aren't sure. So in a sense we've always been out numbered. :/
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:49:19 AM
One more thing!

Those figures aren't accurate. They only show those who set their religion as Christian.

What about those who set their religion as Christian - Baptist (like myself), Christian - Catholic, Christian - Protestant, Christian - Lutheran, Christian - Presbyterian etc...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:50:15 AM
At 7/8/2011 10:57:40 AM, Freeman wrote:
For the first time in DDO history, the atheists outnumber the Christians in terms of the actual tally.

I checked them, they say its tied 2,337 to 2,337.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:12:49 PM
At 7/8/2011 11:49:19 AM, phantom wrote:
One more thing!

Those figures aren't accurate. They only show those who set their religion as Christian.

What about those who set their religion as Christian - Baptist (like myself), Christian - Catholic, Christian - Protestant, Christian - Lutheran, Christian - Presbyterian etc...

This.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:20:30 PM
At 7/8/2011 10:59:34 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's interesting that you think because there is 1 more listed atheist than Christian that there is no hope for intelligent Christian debates. Personally, I gave up hope of having a decent debate with a theist when I was 15. That's like saying you want to have a decent debate with someone who believes in the Tooth Fairy. Good luck.
President of DDO
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:20:21 PM
At 7/8/2011 2:20:30 PM, Danielle wrote:

It's interesting that you think because there is 1 more listed atheist than Christian that there is no hope for intelligent Christian debates. Personally, I gave up hope of having a decent debate with a theist when I was 15. That's like saying you want to have a decent debate with someone who believes in the Tooth Fairy. Good luck.

Humans are irrational period, it does not matter which faith or belief, they are all irrational holier than thou pricks,it is just that some take it to greater extremes than others.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:23:33 PM
1: We don't have any Christians here do we?

2: Why are you exalting in this? Atheism is an intellectual position, not a tribal one.

As a great man once said...

"lol u mad bro?"

Well he wasn't great at that particular moment, admittedly...
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 4:00:15 PM

Plenty of Christians are highly interesting people and great debaters. You and Vi have debated popculture.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 4:35:58 PM
At 7/8/2011 4:00:15 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Plenty of Christians are highly interesting people and great debaters. You and Vi have debated popculture.

Interesting people, sure, and some are even good debaters. However being a good debater doesn't mean that the side you are defending is necessarily correct. Also, just because PCP is among the most articulate Christians doesn't give his arguments any merit. I admit (and I love PCP as a person, btw) that I think he is incredibly overrated. Just because he has actually read theist philosophy and doesn't give the same herp derp but god just HAZZZ to be real arguments, doesn't mean his arguments are actually good or non-ambiguous.

For instance, he defends Thomas Aquinas' "Third Way" argument for God, which simply concludes that a supreme being exists (and not necessarily the concept of God as we know it or what he believes). I should also point out that just because an argument logically follows does not necessarily make it true (it may be valid but not sound). For every valid syllogism in favor of God's existence you can find 10 stating otherwise.

In short, I agree with Carl Sagan that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, for which PCP nor any theist can come remotely close to proving anything. At least science can verify some things whereas religious people rely on manipulated myths passed down verbally. Even if God exists, I haven't seen PCP or anyone come close to defending that the Abrahamic God (and all the tales surrounding that concept) are legitimate. Prove that Jesus literally and physically ascended into the sky. "Oh but like omg like his body was like missing from his grave so like omg he must have risen, amirite?!" Lol, please.
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 4:50:19 PM
I wonder I should bother responding, because, y'know, your hope that a decent debate can be had with a theist is, like, gone.

ololol
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:21:16 PM
One more thing!

Exactly, and I had realized this before as I couldn't figure out the exact number of Christians. It could be done if you look through all the denominations for Christians and then put atheist and agnostic together we might have a better representation.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:22:37 PM
At 7/8/2011 5:21:16 PM, BennyW wrote:
One more thing!

Exactly, and I had realized this before as I couldn't figure out the exact number of Christians. It could be done if you look through all the denominations for Christians and then put atheist and agnostic together we might have a better representation.

and the people with parody religions...
We're both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 5:23:37 PM
At 7/8/2011 4:35:58 PM, Danielle wrote:

Interesting people, sure, and some are even good debaters. However being a good debater doesn't mean that the side you are defending is necessarily correct. Also, just because PCP is among the most articulate Christians doesn't give his arguments any merit. I admit (and I love PCP as a person, btw) that I think he is incredibly overrated. Just because he has actually read theist philosophy and doesn't give the same herp derp but god just HAZZZ to be real arguments, doesn't mean his arguments are actually good or non-ambiguous.

For instance, he defends Thomas Aquinas' "Third Way" argument for God, which simply concludes that a supreme being exists (and not necessarily the concept of God as we know it or what he believes). I should also point out that just because an argument logically follows does not necessarily make it true (it may be valid but not sound). For every valid syllogism in favor of God's existence you can find 10 stating otherwise.

In short, I agree with Carl Sagan that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, for which PCP nor any theist can come remotely close to proving anything. At least science can verify some things whereas religious people rely on manipulated myths passed down verbally. Even if God exists, I haven't seen PCP or anyone come close to defending that the Abrahamic God (and all the tales surrounding that concept) are legitimate. Prove that Jesus literally and physically ascended into the sky. "Oh but like omg like his body was like missing from his grave so like omg he must have risen, amirite?!" Lol, please.

Just because you are the best debtor on this site according to their standards (which I can't figure out how someone with a higher win percentage can end up in a lower percentile).
Also, izbo10 is an atheist and he is a terrible debater.
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 6:37:24 PM
At 7/8/2011 11:50:15 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

One of our people became an apostate. :/
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 7:31:54 PM
At 7/8/2011 4:50:19 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I wonder I should bother responding, because, y'know, your hope that a decent debate can be had with a theist is, like, gone.

Pretty much. "When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 7:33:19 PM
At 7/8/2011 5:23:37 PM, BennyW wrote:
Just because you are the best debtor on this site according to their standards (which I can't figure out how someone with a higher win percentage can end up in a lower percentile).

Try harder and maybe you will figure it out.

Also, I don't care about rankings and think they should be done away with.

That is completely irrelevant but okay :)
President of DDO
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 8:06:55 PM
At 7/8/2011 6:37:24 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 7/8/2011 11:50:15 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

One of our people became an apostate. :/

Converted!
Minister Of Trolling
:
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 8:11:48 PM
At 7/8/2011 5:23:37 PM, BennyW wrote:
At 7/8/2011 4:35:58 PM, Danielle wrote:

Izbo10 simply fails to understand the conventions of a debate: in my debate with him, he decided to insult me by accusing me of a "lack of intelligence" and nicknaming me "idiot" and my friend, RetardedArsenal, and so on. He does not understand the poorness of his own resolutions. One of his own recent debates, which centered around a quote that he claimed to show a "lacking of character", can be easily refuted by the fact that even wrong views do not necessarily mean a 'lacking of character', I guess. A troll and, as Double_R showed us, Bozo (Izbo) is an idiot. In fact, he has spawned a name after himself: Izbo. 'Hey, the guy's an Izbo' or '___and so and so is an izbo' in English; or 'Guardate, mio amico, c'e un izbo che sta camminando attraverso la strada' in Italian.

But anyway, the point is, that I agree that 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof', especially when the claim appears to break down the very fundamentals of the topic/field it is attacking. One can apply this to religion: their claim of the existence of a creator deity, or multiple gods, has no evidence--in science (unless if you count flood geology or attempts to make evolution correlate with the Bible, both of which are pseudosciences), or in logic (god is beyond logic and human understanding, making logic a bit useless in describing god), and so on. Again, I respect those who do believe in religion, especially on this website--and theological debates do probe at the most important parts of the human condition. The concept of god can be tied with morality (especially objective), and is especially important in determining whether or not everything evolved or was created, and so on. So, even for those who are atheist, and do believe in the religious creed, you must admit that religion is a very interesting topic. For the religious, it is possibly a defense of their own faith. To the atheist, it is a problem/irrationality that ultimately shows how irrational human beings are. And to the agnostic, it is at least an uncertainty.

And to Izbo10, religion is just like a hate crime that ordered thousands to murder babies and homosexuals. Sadly, and I emphasize this, he won't be able to understand or even care for what I wrote above, at least, yet.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 8:27:03 PM
@MIG, why are you so obsessed with Izbo? :)

@benny The more wins you have the higher up you are.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 8:42:26 PM
At 7/8/2011 8:27:03 PM, phantom wrote:
@MIG, why are you so obsessed with Izbo? :)
Proving fools are fools are so fun, especially when the fool is so foolish in considering himself as a genius.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:21:07 AM
Atheist 2,338 \
-------------------> 3,896
Agnostic 1,558 /

Christian 2,337

Christian Amish 16

Christian Anglican 47

Christian Assemblies of God 64

Christian Baptist 697

Christian Catholic 1,278

Christian Church of Christ 166

Christian Episcopalian 36

Christian Greek Orthodox 47

Christian Jehovah's witness 15

Christian Latter Day Saints 241

Christian Lutheran 153

Christian Mennonite 5 (lol)

Christian Methodist 138

Christian Pentecostal 126

Christian Presbyterian 123

Christian Protestant 273

Christian Seventh-Day Adventist 29

TOTAL FOR CHRISTIANS 5,793, I think. When I tried to copy and paste it it went to zero for some reason. I'll check it in the morning
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:41:22 AM

That is what I figured however it appears to be more complicated than that. I understand why someone who has had only 1 debate and won it, while technically has 100% would not be listed as high as someone who has won all 50 of their debates.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:03:21 AM
At 7/9/2011 1:41:22 AM, BennyW wrote:

That is what I figured however it appears to be more complicated than that. I understand why someone who has had only 1 debate and won it, while technically has 100% would not be listed as high as someone who has won all 50 of their debates.

I don't understand what you mean. Someone can have a win ratio of 30%, but if he has enough wins he can be in the 99th percentile. Win ratios have nothing to do with it.

It's actually quite simple.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:36:45 AM

It's news to me that we have any Christians at all...
I've always been sympathetic to faith and always willing to give them a chance in the hops that they are right.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:52:42 AM
At 7/9/2011 2:36:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's news to me that we have any Christians at all...
I've always been sympathetic to faith and always willing to give them a chance in the hops that they are right.

You'll probably end up converting one day then. Every depressed non-believer I've ever known ends up doing that.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp