Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Possible That Every Religion Is Correct?

HisFlyness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:14:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems like every religion has similar stories, origins, common threads, etc. Is it possible that all of these sundry religions could be the same one, and therefore, all be correct? I just think it's more likely that whatever deity one believes in to be more inclusive rather than exclusive.

This is only referring to legitimate religions, not cults (although, I'm sure there will be an interesting discussion as to where to draw that line [but you know what I mean]).
"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." - Tolkein...or Babe Ruth. One of those guys.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 1:51:27 PM
At 7/11/2011 1:14:20 PM, HisFlyness wrote:
It seems like every religion has similar stories, origins, common threads, etc.

False. They differ greatly on many central doctrines. Some believe in God, some don't, some believe Jesus is Savior, some say he's just a prophet, some say Allah is the one true God, some say there are many gods, some say there is afterlife, some don't, some say that homosexuality is wrong, some don't. The list goes on and on.

Not mention, many religions do have differing origins. Some from East Asia, some from India, some from Israel, some from America, some from Africa, etc.

Is it possible that all of these sundry religions could be the same one, and therefore, all be correct?

No. There's no way a religion that affirms Jesus and another that denies Jesus could be the same exact religion. They all make so many contradictory claims that they can't all be true.

I just think it's more likely that whatever deity one believes in to be more inclusive rather than exclusive.

Why do you believe that? Based on probability and mathematical chances, why is an inclusive God more likely than an exclusive God?

Btw, not all religions believe in God (such as Buddhism, Jainism, and Taoism) so why would they even want to seek the acceptance of a deity.

Not to mention, several major religions proclaim that God is exclusive to those who believe in the right one; so right off the bat, your thesis that all religions are true is negated by your own belief that God is inclusive.

This is only referring to legitimate religions, not cults (although, I'm sure there will be an interesting discussion as to where to draw that line [but you know what I mean]).

If a cult can gain enough members and supporters, it's no longer a cult? Seems like religions are all just big giant cults.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 4:20:43 PM
Did you get some of this from the Last Apprentice? (may have been the sea of trolls trilogy)

The spook was talking about how when you died you got what you should get according to your religion.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 4:46:37 PM
All religions cannot simultaneously be true because of the law of non-contradiction. 'Nuff said....
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 4:57:49 PM
You'll find some truths in all religions, and you will find that a lot of times, different religions talk about the same thing with different terminology.

As for any religion being correct.. or true... The old Discordian saying...

"All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense."
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:00:46 PM
At 7/11/2011 4:57:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You'll find some truths in all religions, and you will find that a lot of times, different religions talk about the same thing with different terminology.

"All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense."

Honk honk! Oooh I've got jelly in my pants... more tea vicar?!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:03:14 PM
At 7/11/2011 4:46:37 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
All religions cannot simultaneously be true because of the law of non-contradiction. 'Nuff said....

thats not 'nuff said.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:03:30 PM
It seems like every religion has similar stories, origins, common threads, etc. Is it possible that all of these sundry religions could be the same one, and therefore, all be correct? I just think it's more likely that whatever deity one believes in to be more inclusive rather than exclusive.

See: Unitarian Universalism.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:09:27 PM
At 7/11/2011 5:03:14 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

thats not 'nuff said.:

Awesome rebuttal... but, not really. Could you expound?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:41:22 PM
At 7/11/2011 5:00:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Earl Grey. Hot.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:47:31 PM

thats not 'nuff said.

Yes it is. And your notion that of Unitarian Universalism doesn't support your case either. That religion doesn't even posit that all religions are true. It's simply a church is accepting and tolerant of all religions and lets people seek their own path. Nonetheless, the people choose 1 religion despite being a Unitarian.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:35:46 PM
Opinion: It would seem to me that it would be more probable that if spiritual beings do exist with such powers as gods, then there could be more than one of these spiritual beings who could influence the human race in such ways as to develop all of our religions.

Also, since mathematical probability is in favor of Extra Terrestrial life. I would think it probable that such life could have come to planet earth and influenced the human race in such a way as to be seen as Gods, God, angels, etc.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:44:41 PM
You'll find some truths in all religions,

Yeah, and they usually don't have anything to do with things that are "religious."
President of DDO
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:45:54 PM
At 7/11/2011 8:35:46 PM, Tiel wrote:
Also, since mathematical probability is in favor of Extra Terrestrial life. I would think it probable that such life could have come to planet earth and influenced the human race in such a way as to be seen as Gods, God, angels, etc.

Probable existence doesn't necessarily mean probable influence on humans. We're one planet in a huge universe, there are a lot of other places for extraterrestrials to go. How did you come to your conclusion that aliens may have visited Earth?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 8:49:31 PM
At 7/11/2011 8:44:41 PM, Danielle wrote:
You'll find some truths in all religions,

Yeah, and they usually don't have anything to do with things that are "religious."

sho'nuff
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 9:43:32 PM
At 7/11/2011 8:45:54 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 7/11/2011 8:35:46 PM, Tiel wrote:

Probable existence doesn't necessarily mean probable influence on humans. We're one planet in a huge universe, there are a lot of other places for extraterrestrials to go. How did you come to your conclusion that aliens may have visited Earth?

Answer: Through lots of research which gives convincing evidence that it is very probable. Yes, indeed their are lots of other planets for extra terrestrial life to go and they have gone there and are just as much involved or more involved with other planets as they are with ours. Different extra terrestrial races have probably come here throughout earth's history and that is what I believe to be true.

Opinion: Personally, I believe that both of my positions are true to a degree. I believe in powerful spiritual beings, as well as intelligent extra terrestrial life. To me, this makes the most sense. When you start to look at the bigger picture from my point of view, all the evidence, and how the universe may function in light of this information, it all starts to make sense to me.

Personal history: It took me many years to reach this point though. If you would have asked me about these things 15 years ago, I would given very different or unsure answers. My journey for the truth has been going on for about 23 years now. I am finally starting to find a place of comfort and confidence about the universe, after all these years of searching. It was one of the reasons why I searched for a site like this one. To test my resolve. To see if what I have learned cannot be internally shaken by other people's perspectives. To this date, I feel more confident in my perspective of the universe than I ever have before.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 2:10:19 AM
At 7/11/2011 5:09:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

thats not 'nuff said.:

Though there are some factual contradictions in the stories, most religions preach the same thing. The ones that dont, preach some spinoff cult that is about the same.

So I guess not ALL religions can be right, but the big three might be. (Christian, Judaism, Muslim)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 2:55:01 AM
At 7/12/2011 2:10:19 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Though there are some factual contradictions in the stories, most religions preach the same thing. The ones that dont, preach some spinoff cult that is about the same.

False. Buddhism and Islam absolutely do not preach the same thing. In fact, you'd probably have much trouble trying to find just one belief that is shared by the two religions.

So I guess not ALL religions can be right, but the big three might be. (Christian, Judaism, Muslim)

Judaism isn't in the "big 3." Judaism is the 12th largest religion.

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
2. Islam: 1.5 billion
3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
4. Hinduism: 900 million
5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
6. Buddhism: 376 million
7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
9. Sikhism: 23 million
10. Juche: 19 million
11. Spiritism: 15 million
12. Judaism: 14 million

http://www.adherents.com...

So the top 4 major religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. How could these 4 completely different religions possibly be preaching the same thing.

Christianity: Jesus is God and Savior
Islam: Jesus is NOT God and Savior. Allah is God.
Hinduism: Brahman is impersonal infinite God presiding over multiple lower gods.
Buddhism: No Gods at all.

They can't all be right.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 2:59:59 AM
At 7/12/2011 2:10:19 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

thats not 'nuff said.:

So three religions with mutually exclusive claims are all somehow correct?

Jesus is the son of God and not the son of God, A prophet and not a prophet, God is triune and not triune, Mohammed is the last prophet of God and not a prophet of God at all.

Okay.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:36:37 AM
Obviously there are contradictry doctrines in all major religions. I think though, that perhaps the OP is trying to suggest that they could all be imperfect interpretations of some kind of greater truth, or higher power?
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:58:35 AM
@ OP

Depends.

While studying religion, if you focus on differences, it is way too obvious that various religions contradict each other. So logically, they cannot be correct at the same time. Now there is no rule which says logic has to be correct. But assuming that you do not ignore it completely, all religions cannot be correct.

On other hand, if you focus on similarities rather than differences - a miracle happens. The list of similarities is much bigger and than the list of differences. When you go through them, you realize that it is highly probable that major world religions have same origin and same message. They appear to be different because we, stupid followers, are more interested in proving each other wrong rather than celebrating our shared heritage. For example Christians and Muslims keep debating divinity of Jesus (Peace on Him) ignoring the fact that the debate exists only because we love, respect and honor the same person!

What totally blows my mind away is the similarities between Hinduism and Islam. They do not appear similar at beginning, but once you start investigating ...
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:44:59 AM
At 7/12/2011 2:03:17 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/11/2011 8:48:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/11/2011 6:18:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
No.

Yes.

Maybe?

Can you please repeat the question?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 5:10:21 AM

That's like saying every number is the correct answer to 2+2..
The Cross.. the Cross.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 7:55:54 AM
They aren't all the same, but they are all interpreting the same thing.

The God that exists as actuality. You might miss this in some of them if you have a literalist interpretation of what was intended to be metaphor or parable.

In my opinion, Buddha was probably the best translator of God. The Tao Te Ching is also very good.

Course none of that says anything, because interpretations drastically change depending on whether or not you have a scientific view of reality or not. If you have a blind faith mentality, pretty much anything goes, and you tend to get schmucked into believing very silly things.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 12:07:08 PM
At 7/11/2011 5:00:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

i lol'd
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!