Changing Human Religion

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 6:29:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Topic: Changing Human Religion
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 10:21:22 PM
We need more Deist Unitarianism!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 4:45:33 AM
Question: Do you agree with the video?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 5:09:24 AM
RELIGION: "I am good because I pray to God, read my holy book, attend the temple/church, give to the poor etc"

RELATIONSHIP: "Because He is good I pray to Him, read His Word and attend His house and obey His command to bless the poor etc"

Many people think they should not fear God because He is good, just and loving etc; this is EXACTLY the reason to fear Him! a gangster has NO fear of a corrupt policeman or judge, it is the GOOD policeman and GOOD and JUST judge the criminal fears.

THAT is why we must fear God: BECAUSE He IS good, and we are NOT.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 6:38:31 PM
At 7/20/2011 5:09:24 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
RELIGION: "I am good because I pray to God, read my holy book, attend the temple/church, give to the poor etc"

RELATIONSHIP: "Because He is good I pray to Him, read His Word and attend His house and obey His command to bless the poor etc"

Many people think they should not fear God because He is good, just and loving etc; this is EXACTLY the reason to fear Him! a gangster has NO fear of a corrupt policeman or judge, it is the GOOD policeman and GOOD and JUST judge the criminal fears.

Opinion: I completely dsagree and I feel that such mental processing is very harmful to the human spirit. Fear is one of the worst things in existence. It is the pure essence of negative energy. If that's what your spiritual relationship if based off of, and what you promote.. Then your spirit will be just as dark and negative. I feel sorry for your soul my friend.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 9:13:35 PM
At 7/20/2011 6:38:31 PM, Tiel wrote:

Opinion: I completely dsagree and I feel that such mental processing is very harmful to the human spirit. Fear is one of the worst things in existence. It is the pure essence of negative energy. If that's what your spiritual relationship if based off of, and what you promote.. Then your spirit will be just as dark and negative. I feel sorry for your soul my friend.

People have lived perfectly happy lives under these teachings for thousands of years. What reason do you have for claiming that, suddenly, this is harmful to our spirit?? As DAT says, we fear God and His goodness, to which we can't compare. If we stop fearing God, we stop trying to do good. We become accepting of that which is not good, and that which is not of God. Then we begin urging others to accept that which isn't of God. Christians, people who fear God, are some of the happiest, most bright spirited people there are. That's because they know their standing with God, they strive for goodness, and their spirit is at peace with that fear.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 9:32:56 PM
At 7/20/2011 4:45:33 AM, Tiel wrote:

It's difficult to take seriously an assessment of religion that includes the musings of George Carlin. I do however agree with when the screen fades to black, and the narrator closes with this statement: "You will find that, generally speaking, the one thing people don't want to hear is, the truth."
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 9:59:06 PM
At 7/20/2011 4:45:33 AM, Tiel wrote:

Unified thought in religion? Nope, I say everyone must seek religion on their own, if they find an god, no god, an flying spaghetti monster, or anything else peace to them.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 12:50:50 AM
At 7/20/2011 9:13:35 PM, medic0506 wrote:

People have lived perfectly happy lives under these teachings for thousands of years.

I wouldnt dare call the dark ages "Happy times". Witch hunts, flagellants, paranoia, and war are all great things that have come out of Christianity in the last millennium.

What reason do you have for claiming that, suddenly, this is harmful to our spirit??

The idea of a creator alone isnt what is harmful, it is the dogma that comes tagged with it. The idea of god alone doesnt drive people to blow themselves up, burn people at the stake, and start wars.

As DAT says, we fear God and His goodness, to which we can't compare. If we stop fearing God, we stop trying to do good. We become accepting of that which is not good, and that which is not of God. Then we begin urging others to accept that which isn't of God.

I don't fear god and I'm doing great. I dont need a divine lightning bolt pointed at my head to know what's right and wrong. Shouldn't it be a virture to be able to do great things on your own, without God's incentive?

Christians, people who fear God, are some of the happiest, most bright spirited people there are.

In my experience, Catholics are the most apathetic people around. At least protestants can "Get Mad" once in a while.

That's because they think they know their standing with God, they strive for goodness, and their spirit is at peace with that fear.

Fixd
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 4:48:39 AM

You are simply confusing an emotional 'tremoring' type fear that one would experience being surrounded by thugs late at night with a healthy 'true' fear that one experiences in relation to cliff edges etc; I treat the cliff edge with a healthy, respectful, fear in order not to fall over it.

Exactly the same with God, or the good judge; I fear them in a healthy normal way.
The Cross.. the Cross.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 10:28:57 AM
At 7/21/2011 12:50:50 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I wouldnt dare call the dark ages "Happy times". Witch hunts, flagellants, paranoia, and war are all great things that have come out of Christianity in the last millennium.

You're confusing an individuals ability to have happiness within himself, which is the subject of my comments, with external events. These aren't exactly the happiest of times, in general, but we can still live happy lives, with our spirit being at peace.

The events you mentioned, are they biblical?? Does the bible tell us to do those things, or are they the actions of man??

The idea of a creator alone isnt what is harmful, it is the dogma that comes tagged with it. The idea of god alone doesnt drive people to blow themselves up, burn people at the stake, and start wars.

Again I ask if the bible tells us to do those things. You mention people blowing themselves up, but I don't believe it's fair to hold that against Christianity. You might want to ask a muslim extremist for justification of that.

I don't fear god and I'm doing great. I dont need a divine lightning bolt pointed at my head to know what's right and wrong.

You're doing great according to your own standards. How that matches up with God's idea of right and wrong is the important thing.

Shouldn't it be a virture to be able to do great things on your own, without God's incentive?

Without God, you're just making your own standards. How do you know you're doing great things?? You might, unintentionally, be doing some things that are harmful, in the long run. I don't know you personally, so I can't say with certainty what you're doing wrong, all I can say is that without God, you're using your own standards of right and wrong, and that's likely to be quite different than what God sees a right.

Christians, people who fear God, are some of the happiest, most bright spirited people there are.

In my experience, Catholics are the most apathetic people around. At least protestants can "Get Mad" once in a while.

I can't account for every adjective that one can throw at Christians. The subject of my comment is Tiel's allegation that fear of God causes a dark and negative spirit.

That's because they think they know their standing with God, they strive for goodness, and their spirit is at peace with that fear.

Ok, for the sake of argument I'll give you this one, except to say that, according to the teachings that we follow, we are confident with our standing.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:29:42 AM
At 7/21/2011 12:50:50 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

People have lived perfectly happy lives under these teachings for thousands of years.

This is special pleading. It is like defining the state of Christianity today by the LDS, Waco Jesus Guy, the pedophiles, bigamists etc...

They are clearly .001% of the Church body but they get the most press. Criminals and sex freaks infiltrate every institution, always have and always will.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:30:38 AM
At 7/21/2011 4:48:39 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

You are simply confusing an emotional 'tremoring' type fear that one would experience being surrounded by thugs late at night with a healthy 'true' fear that one experiences in relation to cliff edges etc; I treat the cliff edge with a healthy, respectful, fear in order not to fall over it.

Exactly the same with God, or the good judge; I fear them in a healthy normal way.

Well spoken.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 5:24:00 AM
At 7/24/2011 11:30:38 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/21/2011 4:48:39 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Well spoken.

Thank you.
The Cross.. the Cross.