Total Posts:90|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To all theists: why do you believe in god?

CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 12:24:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is God?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:18:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You didn't say which god. Yahweh?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:40:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are different reasons for different people.

1. One cannot sleep at night knowing that they aren't special/ aren't going to heaven after they die.
2. One has come to the conclusion that there must be a creator of the universe (deism)
3. One has been indoctrinated by their parents from a young age, and therefore has never questioned their beliefs.
4. One believes out of fear. ("You'll go to hell if you dont!"
5. One finds no meaning in life, and craves meaning. ("Gaaah Why am I here?")
6. One is a hater using religion as an excuse to hate.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:51:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 3:40:26 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
There are different reasons for different people.

1. One cannot sleep at night knowing that they aren't special/ aren't going to heaven after they die.
2. One has come to the conclusion that there must be a creator of the universe (deism)
3. One has been indoctrinated by their parents from a young age, and therefore has never questioned their beliefs.
4. One believes out of fear. ("You'll go to hell if you dont!"
5. One finds no meaning in life, and craves meaning. ("Gaaah Why am I here?")
6. One is a hater using religion as an excuse to hate.

7: One thinks god is an alien being who has mastered all forms of science and therefore gives him infinite power but the being does nothing of any true importance.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SkepticsAskHere
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 4:10:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well I believe that about four years ago I had a supernatural experience with the Holy Spirit. That started a relationship with Christ. You know we could argue all day about who's right and weather or not God exists but the Holy Spirit is one of the greatest evidences shared among believers of the Christian faith.
Ask Me Anything
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 4:10:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We'll the bible makes no sense as it is completely inconsistent with the universe God created. I don't know which God to believe in because there are so many. I always wonder why god created us by nature to be influenced by that which is around us, while putting me in a world surrounded by people who don't believe in him.

But... I just do. Why? Because I want to I guess?
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:52:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 3:18:21 PM, vbaculum wrote:
You didn't say which god. Yahweh?

Any god. Anyways, I was curious why some people believe in god, and why the same can't be said of the tooth fairy. Also, sorry if I'm coming off as an atheist (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:54:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 3:40:26 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
There are different reasons for different people.

1. One cannot sleep at night knowing that they aren't special/ aren't going to heaven after they die.
2. One has come to the conclusion that there must be a creator of the universe (deism)
3. One has been indoctrinated by their parents from a young age, and therefore has never questioned their beliefs.
4. One believes out of fear. ("You'll go to hell if you dont!"
5. One finds no meaning in life, and craves meaning. ("Gaaah Why am I here?")
6. One is a hater using religion as an excuse to hate.

3 seems to be pretty common.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:04:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

The vast majority do because either their parents do/did, they were raised in a god believing household, or they grew up with some other personal investment in god and religion. These people want to believe and try their best to justify belief. That's where apologetics come from. The threat that is cognitive dissonance prevents such people from intellectual honesty; without cognitive dissonance religion would easily and swiftly die.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:11:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 10:54:34 PM, seraine wrote:
At 7/22/2011 3:40:26 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
There are different reasons for different people.

1. One cannot sleep at night knowing that they aren't special/ aren't going to heaven after they die.
2. One has come to the conclusion that there must be a creator of the universe (deism)
3. One has been indoctrinated by their parents from a young age, and therefore has never questioned their beliefs.
4. One believes out of fear. ("You'll go to hell if you dont!"
5. One finds no meaning in life, and craves meaning. ("Gaaah Why am I here?")
6. One is a hater using religion as an excuse to hate.

3 seems to be pretty common.

3 is usually mixed with 4. 2 Is the least common.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:49:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Because He CHOSE to reveal Himself to me by the GIFT of faith.

I must now SPEND this mercy and grace on those who have not received this gift.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:14:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 2:19:38 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
A perfect example of 2. I respect people at 2.

popculture isn't a deist, though I would be interested in how he justifies crossing the gap from deism to Christianity.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:15:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Response: For the same reasons why you believe in your parents. Those who are responsible for your well-being deserve your respect and praise. Since Allah(swt) God is the originator of all of creation, naturally, Allah (swt) deserves the utmost respects and appreciation.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:18:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:15:36 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Response: For the same reasons why you believe in your parents. Those who are responsible for your well-being deserve your respect and praise. Since Allah(swt) God is the originator of all of creation, naturally, Allah (swt) deserves the utmost respects and appreciation.

IYou know belief in God is not the same as belief in your parents lol People can see their parents, knowledge of their existence is not based on hearsay.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:22:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:18:53 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:15:36 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Response: For the same reasons why you believe in your parents. Those who are responsible for your well-being deserve your respect and praise. Since Allah(swt) God is the originator of all of creation, naturally, Allah (swt) deserves the utmost respects and appreciation.


IYou know belief in God is not the same as belief in your parents lol People can see their parents, knowledge of their existence is not based on hearsay.

Response: Neither is the existence of Allah (swt). You don't have to see something or someone to know that they exist either. I can't see you, but I know you exist. Sight is not the only proof of existence.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:33:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:22:30 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:18:53 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:15:36 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Response: For the same reasons why you believe in your parents. Those who are responsible for your well-being deserve your respect and praise. Since Allah(swt) God is the originator of all of creation, naturally, Allah (swt) deserves the utmost respects and appreciation.


IYou know belief in God is not the same as belief in your parents lol People can see their parents, knowledge of their existence is not based on hearsay.

Response: Neither is the existence of Allah (swt). You don't have to see something or someone to know that they exist either. I can't see you, but I know you exist. Sight is not the only proof of existence.

Exactly. So your comparison of belief in Allah or God to belief in our parents is completely irrelevant, because they are not comparable.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:38:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:33:00 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:22:30 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:18:53 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:15:36 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/22/2011 12:23:14 PM, seraine wrote:
Just wondering.

Response: For the same reasons why you believe in your parents. Those who are responsible for your well-being deserve your respect and praise. Since Allah(swt) God is the originator of all of creation, naturally, Allah (swt) deserves the utmost respects and appreciation.


IYou know belief in God is not the same as belief in your parents lol People can see their parents, knowledge of their existence is not based on hearsay.

Response: Neither is the existence of Allah (swt). You don't have to see something or someone to know that they exist either. I can't see you, but I know you exist. Sight is not the only proof of existence.

Exactly. So your comparison of belief in Allah or God to belief in our parents is completely irrelevant, because they are not comparable.

Response: To the contrary, they are very much comparable, as a person believes in God out of love and appreciation for the good God brings them. This is the same reasons why people believe in their parents.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:41:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:38:19 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: To the contrary, they are very much comparable, as a person believes in God out of love and appreciation for the good God brings them. This is the same reasons why people believe in their parents.

I do not believe in my parents' existence out of love and appreciation. I believe in their existence because I can see them and other people can see them and they are there.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:45:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:41:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:38:19 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: To the contrary, they are very much comparable, as a person believes in God out of love and appreciation for the good God brings them. This is the same reasons why people believe in their parents.

I do not believe in my parents' existence out of love and appreciation. I believe in their existence because I can see them and other people can see them and they are there.

Response: The question is not why theists believe in God's existence but why theists believe in God. Thus the answer I gave is very much logical and relevant, which is that a theist believes in God because God is Good to them. This is the same reasons why we believe in our parents because they are good to us. No one is talking about why theists believe that God exist.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:59:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:45:24 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:41:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:38:19 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: To the contrary, they are very much comparable, as a person believes in God out of love and appreciation for the good God brings them. This is the same reasons why people believe in their parents.

I do not believe in my parents' existence out of love and appreciation. I believe in their existence because I can see them and other people can see them and they are there.

Response: The question is not why theists believe in God's existence but why theists believe in God. Thus the answer I gave is very much logical and relevant, which is that a theist believes in God because God is Good to them. This is the same reasons why we believe in our parents because they are good to us. No one is talking about why theists believe that God exist.

Nice semantics but that begs the question of God's existence in the first place. And again, it is not comparable to "belief" in one's parents because not all parents are good.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 10:11:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 9:59:20 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:45:24 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:41:45 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 9:38:19 AM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: To the contrary, they are very much comparable, as a person believes in God out of love and appreciation for the good God brings them. This is the same reasons why people believe in their parents.

I do not believe in my parents' existence out of love and appreciation. I believe in their existence because I can see them and other people can see them and they are there.

Response: The question is not why theists believe in God's existence but why theists believe in God. Thus the answer I gave is very much logical and relevant, which is that a theist believes in God because God is Good to them. This is the same reasons why we believe in our parents because they are good to us. No one is talking about why theists believe that God exist.

Nice semantics but that begs the question of God's existence in the first place. And again, it is not comparable to "belief" in one's parents because not all parents are good.

Response: Answering a relevant question is not semantics, but rather your persistence to evade the question and address whether or not there is evidence of God's existence is the semantics. Furthermore, I never stated that all parents were good, thus your response is still irrelevant and without merit.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 10:16:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 10:14:13 AM, nonentity wrote:
If my parents steal my money should I still "believe" in them?

Response: Is that the topic of the thread or another strawman?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 11:28:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 11:06:28 AM, seraine wrote:
About respecting god because he made us: do your parents kill you for stealing from the cookie jar?

Response: The question itself doesn't make sense. It implies that I can be killed more than once.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 11:42:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 10:16:24 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/23/2011 10:14:13 AM, nonentity wrote:
If my parents steal my money should I still "believe" in them?

Response: Is that the topic of the thread or another strawman?

Your comparison of belief in God to belief in one's parents makes no sense in any way.