Jump to topic:

Do Christians Actually Read The Bible?

EpicurusDamacles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 6:57:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Recently, I took it upon myself to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist. Before I began, I thought that The Bible only boasted supernatural events that could never happen in the real world. However, I soon realized that the majority of The Bible is a tale of conquest, pillage, rape, and murder endorsed by God. Seriously, how can someone read The Bible and not be revolted? Here are some quotes that I marked down through the course of the reading:

Exodus 31:15 "For six days work is to be done, but the seventh is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath must be put to death".

Leviticus 24:16 "Anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him".

Leviticus 20:9 "All who curse their father or mother must be put do death".

Leviticus 20:10 " If a man commits adultery with another man's wife-with the wife of his neighbor-both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death".

Leviticus 20:13 " If a man lies with a man, as a man lies with a woman they have done what is detestable. They must be put to death"

Deuteronomy 21 " If someone has a stubborn or rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and mother shall say to the elders of the town, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.' Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death".

1 Corinthians 14 "Women should remain silent in church. They are not allowed to speak, and must remain in submission as the law says. If they have to inquire about something, they should ask their husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church".

1Tim 2 " Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

Leviticus 25:44 "‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money".

Titus 2:9 " Bid slaves to be submissive to there masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity".

Isaiah 13 "Anyone who is captured shall be run through with a sword. Their children will be dashed to death right before their eyes"

Hoseah 13 "Samaria shall bear her guilt because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones will be dashed to pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open".

Numbers 31 "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves".

2 Kings 2:23 "And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up that way, there came forth little children of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; Go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood and tare forty and two children of them".

Zechariah 13:3 "If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through"

Nahum 1:2-8 "The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt. In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night".

James 5:14 "Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, it shall be forgiven him". -Evil because parents don't get proper treatment for their kids-

1 Kings 20:35 "Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him"

Deuteronomy 13:13 "Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."

Deuetonomy 22:20"But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst".

Deuteronomy 13:7If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.

Continued...
EpicurusDamacles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 6:59:11 PM
1 Samuel 6:19 "And he smote of the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of Jehovah, he smote of the people seventy men, `and' fifty thousand men; and the people mourned, because Jehovah had smitten the people with a great slaughter. And the men of Beth-shemesh said, Who is able to stand before Jehovah, this holy God? and to whom shall he go up from us?"

Isaiah 14:21 "Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."

Exodus 12:29 "And at midnight the LORD killed all the firstborn sons in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn son of the captive in the dungeon. Even the firstborn of their livestock were killed. Pharaoh and his officials and all the people of Egypt woke up during the night, and loud wailing was heard throughout the land of Egypt. There was not a single house where someone had not died."

Leviticus 26:21 "If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted."

Jeremiah 48:10 " Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed he who holds back his sword from blood."

2 Kings 19:35 "That night the angel of the Lord went forth and struck down one hundred and eighty five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. Early the next morning, there they were, all the corpuses of the dead."

Exodus 32:26 "(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing."

Judges 11:29 "At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin.

Deuteronomy 22:88 "If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

Deuteronomy 22:23 "If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."

Judges 5:30 "They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil."

Zechariah 14:1 " Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city."

Deueronomy 20:10 "As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."

Exodus 21:7 "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment."

Ephesians 6:5 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ."

Luke 12:47 "The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."

Exodus 21:2 "If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 6:59:11 PM
At 7/24/2011 6:57:25 PM, EpicurusDamacles wrote:
Recently, I took it upon myself to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist. Before I began, I thought that The Bible only boasted supernatural events that could never happen in the real world. However, I soon realized that the majority of The Bible is a tale of conquest, pillage, rape, and murder endorsed by God. Seriously, how can someone read The Bible and not be revolted? Here are some quotes that I marked down through the course of the reading:

Exodus 31:15 "For six days work is to be done, but the seventh is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath must be put to death".

Leviticus 24:16 "Anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him".

Leviticus 20:9 "All who curse their father or mother must be put do death".

Leviticus 20:10 " If a man commits adultery with another man's wife-with the wife of his neighbor-both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death".

Leviticus 20:13 " If a man lies with a man, as a man lies with a woman they have done what is detestable. They must be put to death"

Deuteronomy 21 " If someone has a stubborn or rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and mother shall say to the elders of the town, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.' Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death".

1 Corinthians 14 "Women should remain silent in church. They are not allowed to speak, and must remain in submission as the law says. If they have to inquire about something, they should ask their husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church".

1Tim 2 " Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

Leviticus 25:44 "‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money".

Titus 2:9 " Bid slaves to be submissive to there masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity".

Isaiah 13 "Anyone who is captured shall be run through with a sword. Their children will be dashed to death right before their eyes"

Hoseah 13 "Samaria shall bear her guilt because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones will be dashed to pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open".

Numbers 31 "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves".

2 Kings 2:23 "And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up that way, there came forth little children of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; Go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood and tare forty and two children of them".

Zechariah 13:3 "If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through"

Nahum 1:2-8 "The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt. In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night".

James 5:14 "Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, it shall be forgiven him". -Evil because parents don't get proper treatment for their kids-

1 Kings 20:35 "Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him"

For the most part, Christians disavow any moral law related to the Old Testament since Jesus apparently upgraded God's commandments.

If you like, you can start a thread on if the Jews actually read the bible.
EpicurusDamacles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 7:03:11 PM
There are a couple there from the New Testament... Jesus endorses slavery and says to beat the slave even if they have done nothing wrong. He also says to chop off any part of the body that has committed a sin, or "gouge out the offending eye". The Old Testament is still part of The Bible.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 7:03:42 PM
Advice: Instead of scripture-bombing the entire thread, why don't you take a few specific examples, discuss it, then add more later?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 7:27:13 PM
At 7/24/2011 7:03:11 PM, EpicurusDamacles wrote:
There are a couple there from the New Testament... Jesus endorses slavery and says to beat the slave even if they have done nothing wrong.:

Where did Jesus say this?

He also says to chop off any part of the body that has committed a sin, or "gouge out the offending eye".:

Do you understand the difference between something like a parable or an allegory versus a literal interpretation?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 7:34:08 PM
Recently, I took it upon myself to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist. Before I began, I thought that The Bible only boasted supernatural events that could never happen in the real world. However, I soon realized that the majority of The Bible is a tale of conquest, pillage, rape, and murder endorsed by God. Seriously, how can someone read The Bible and not be revolted?

Have you read/seen A Clockwork Orange? Alex, our violent and sadistic hero, undergoes what appears to the authorities to be a religious transformation, while in fact he's fantasising about dealing out the punishment described in some passages of the Bible relating to the crucifixion etc. It's brilliant. Hilarious.
Of course, Christians do cherry-pick. In fairness, there is the New Testament and the whole relevance issue. The Bible was written in, and for, a different time. If the Bible is God's inviolable word though, I doubt many of us deserve to live. Let's assume it's not.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 7:45:35 PM
At 7/24/2011 7:34:08 PM, Pozzo wrote:
Recently, I took it upon myself to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist. Before I began, I thought that The Bible only boasted supernatural events that could never happen in the real world. However, I soon realized that the majority of The Bible is a tale of conquest, pillage, rape, and murder endorsed by God. Seriously, how can someone read The Bible and not be revolted?

Have you read/seen A Clockwork Orange? Alex, our violent and sadistic hero, undergoes what appears to the authorities to be a religious transformation, while in fact he's fantasising about dealing out the punishment described in some passages of the Bible relating to the crucifixion etc. It's brilliant. Hilarious.
Of course, Christians do cherry-pick. In fairness, there is the New Testament and the whole relevance issue. The Bible was written in, and for, a different time. If the Bible is God's inviolable word though, I doubt many of us deserve to live. Let's assume it's not.

That is in fact the Christian Message in a nutshell. We all do not deserve to live. We deserve Death. Praise God that He sent Jesus to deliver us from the death sentence we have.
We have all violated the Laws of God. However, He is s a merciful God and we can hope in who He is and what He has done for us.
We must embrace these truths.

I am so excited you get it!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:05:49 PM
You know how a lot of Christians will wave their finger and scream, "out of context!"

While they may have no idea themselves what they mean by that, they are right. These texts are not put in proper context.

As long as you think that the bible is the word of God, and treat these texts as anything more than man's attempt at trying to translate reality, you aren't going to have it in context.

You can learn a lot from both the Old Testament and the New Testament.. If you can look at it from a more detached perspective.

Because the texts are ancient and were written in a period stretching for over a thousand years, the bible is very misunderstood. It is misunderstood because people take it too seriously, and completely miss out on the lessons that can be learned from it.

It would be like if you watched a movie that might have a very good message to it, but you couldn't get past the fact that the plot involved something you found morally objectionable. You are going to completely miss out on what the message of the movie is, because you think that because an event is depicted, that means it is condoned.

Though really, I can understand given how seriously people take the bible. At the same time, you'll get people who will interpret these horrid things in the same way, but feel that they have to follow it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:22:23 PM
At 7/24/2011 11:12:51 PM, Contradiction wrote:
http://www.amazon.com...

One needs to do more than to take verses at face-value.

Why don't you ever do Biblical debates?

Psalm 137:9 "Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:31:39 PM
At 7/24/2011 11:22:23 PM, kohai wrote:

Psalm 137:9 "Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Biblical studies aren't my forte, though I've done several debates which involve NT history.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:38:33 PM
At 7/24/2011 11:31:39 PM, Contradiction wrote:
At 7/24/2011 11:22:23 PM, kohai wrote:

Biblical studies aren't my forte, though I've done several debates which involve NT history.

Ok. Why don't christians kill me?
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:41:12 PM
At 7/24/2011 11:38:47 PM, Contradiction wrote:
Hm?

The Bible says to kill homosexuals. You are a christan extremest...
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:59:48 PM
At 7/24/2011 11:56:13 PM, Contradiction wrote:
See the link I posted.

I saw it. Anyway, I'd love to do a debate with you on christianity. Have you read the entire bible?
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 5:05:28 AM
At 7/24/2011 11:05:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
As long as you think that the bible is the word of God, and treat these texts as anything more than man's attempt at trying to translate reality, you aren't going to have it in context.

If it had been treated all these years as an extended philosophical allegory, it probably wouldn't have had the massive influence it has had. For one, I doubt it would have reached, and struck a chord with, such a wide audience. Most people either don't see philosophy as relevant, or fail to understand it. Religion makes philosophy mainstream. You offer the people philosophy and they simply don't care. You offer them God and everybody loses their minds. Just imagine that the Bible came with a disclaimer explaining that it's simply a rationalisation of the world, and not actually direct divine guidance.

It would be like if you watched a movie that might have a very good message to it, but you couldn't get past the fact that the plot involved something you found morally objectionable. You are going to completely miss out on what the message of the movie is, because you think that because an event is depicted, that means it is condoned.

Again, A Clockwork Orange. Read the book, see the film.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 5:23:08 AM

" to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist. "

This is honesty seldom witnessed on DDO!

" in ORDER TO VALIDATE MY BELIEFS as an atheist " !

As I have perpetually asserted; we begin by CHOOSING that which we would WISH to be true, and then ACCEPT any data which fortifies our position and REJECT that which erodes it.

I will debate you on ANY scripture ANYtime.
The Cross.. the Cross.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:14:40 AM
Recently, I took it upon myself to read the entirety of The Holy Bible in order to validate my beliefs as an atheist.

Glad you went into it with such an open mind.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:35:20 AM
At 7/24/2011 6:59:11 PM, EpicurusDamacles wrote:
1 Samuel 6:19 "And he smote of the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of Jehovah, he smote of the people seventy men, `and' fifty thousand men; and the people mourned, because Jehovah had smitten the people with a great slaughter. And the men of Beth-shemesh said, Who is able to stand before Jehovah, this holy God? and to whom shall he go up from us?"

Isaiah 14:21 "Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."

Exodus 12:29 "And at midnight the LORD killed all the firstborn sons in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn son of the captive in the dungeon. Even the firstborn of their livestock were killed. Pharaoh and his officials and all the people of Egypt woke up during the night, and loud wailing was heard throughout the land of Egypt. There was not a single house where someone had not died."

Leviticus 26:21 "If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted."

Jeremiah 48:10 " Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed he who holds back his sword from blood."

2 Kings 19:35 "That night the angel of the Lord went forth and struck down one hundred and eighty five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. Early the next morning, there they were, all the corpuses of the dead."

Exodus 32:26 "(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing."

Judges 11:29 "At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin.

Deuteronomy 22:88 "If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

Deuteronomy 22:23 "If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."

Judges 5:30 "They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil."

Zechariah 14:1 " Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city."

Deueronomy 20:10 "As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."

Exodus 21:7 "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment."

Ephesians 6:5 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ."

Luke 12:47 "The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."

Exodus 21:2 "If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever."
The fact that you read and understood these words as they are written simply means that you have not fully read the bible. to read means to understand and one must be in spiritual contact with god to fully understand the words of the scripture.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:46:13 AM
At 7/25/2011 6:35:20 AM, wierdman wrote:

The fact that you read and understood these words as they are written simply means that you have not fully read the bible. to read means to understand and one must be in spiritual contact with god to fully understand the words of the scripture.

Spiritual contact with God as in...
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:30:18 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:46:13 AM, Pozzo wrote:

spiritual state in which you are able to concentrate on the scripture and actually understand it.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:46:03 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:30:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 7/25/2011 7:46:13 AM, Pozzo wrote:

spiritual state in which you are able to concentrate on the scripture and actually understand it.

That's ridiculous. You can concentrate on any piece of text and understand it without spirituality. The Bible doesn't have some mystical quality that prevents people understanding.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:01:15 AM

That's ridiculous. You can concentrate on any piece of text and understand it without spirituality. The Bible doesn't have some mystical quality that prevents people understanding.

A bible is not like any other piece of text, it invoves fables tales and experiences that require massive consentration. To fully Understand the scripture you must be in a spritual state. Try it sometime.

http://www.scienceofcorrespondences.com...
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:05:00 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:01:15 AM, wierdman wrote:

A bible is not like any other piece of text, it invoves fables tales and experiences that require massive consentration. To fully Understand the scripture you must be in a spritual state. Try it sometime.

I've read some of the Bible. I'm pretty sure I understood most of it. I'm about as spiritual as a piece of wood.
Why do the fables, metaphors, allegories etc. of the Bible require spirituality that Ulysses, Moby Dick or any other piece of literature doesn't?
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:05:39 AM
A piece of wood might be pretty spiritual, depending on your outlook. The point is that I don't consider myself very spiritual. Physics > psychics.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:14:30 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:05:39 AM, Pozzo wrote:
A piece of wood might be pretty spiritual, depending on your outlook. The point is that I don't consider myself very spiritual. Physics > psychics.

everyone is spiritual
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:25:21 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:14:30 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 7/25/2011 9:05:39 AM, Pozzo wrote:

everyone is spiritual

In the sense of souls and spirits etc., I believe that no one is spiritual. I was referring to the belief system and explaining that I don't subscribe to it, in the same sense that I might say "I'm not Christian".
You didn't answer my question though. Why is the Bible different?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:29:01 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:05:00 AM, Pozzo wrote:
At 7/25/2011 9:01:15 AM, wierdman wrote:

I've read some of the Bible. I'm pretty sure I understood most of it. I'm about as spiritual as a piece of wood.
Why do the fables, metaphors, allegories etc. of the Bible require spirituality that Ulysses, Moby Dick or any other piece of literature doesn't?

If I may make a statement?

When you have God inside of you, you have the abilities of an omni-max being available to you should you choose to use them.

The Bible changes for you when you have it played out for you on a different level using the eyes of the omni-max being.

It is quite spectacular.

Not to say there are not principles or concepts that can be understood by ordinary cognitive abilites.

It is pretty easy to start that kind of relationship with God and allow the Bible to speak to you in a new way.

Completely falsifiable.