Jump to topic:

Christianity is not just a religion

wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:44:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Christianity is nit just a religion, its a way of life. If you look at true Christians, you would find that they live there lives carefully and morally despite whatever temptations come there way.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:46:17 AM
I have been hearing a lot about the bible lately and my only response to those against the scripture is to either read it and fully understand it or to live it to those who do.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:53:38 AM
Hmmm, i always look at religion as just that, sort of a way of living your life, like an instruction manual to help you along the way; whereas faith is more about belief and the relationship with God. I keep them both very compartmentalized with very careful mingling of the two. I look at religion and pull out all the obvious man made stuff, and look at the more spiritually based concepts and use that to help structure my faith.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:07:09 AM
At 7/25/2011 6:53:38 AM, innomen wrote:
Hmmm, i always look at religion as just that, sort of a way of living your life, like an instruction manual to help you along the way; whereas faith is more about belief and the relationship with God. I keep them both very compartmentalized with very careful mingling of the two. I look at religion and pull out all the obvious man made stuff, and look at the more spiritually based concepts and use that to help structure my faith.

This is exactly what i meant as truly understanding the Scripture.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:07:35 AM
From what I know, this applies to Judaism more than Christianity in the sense that Judaism is slightly more of a philosophy/way of life than just a religion. Not being, or ever having been, Jewish, I don't have first-hand experience, but that's what I've been led to believe by various sources.

I may be slightly off, because I don't fully understand the OP's point. Living in accordance with your religion doesn't make it more than a religion in my opinion, more a factor affecting your way of life. Living otherwise can make you something of a hypocrite though.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:16:50 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:07:35 AM, Pozzo wrote:
From what I know, this applies to Judaism more than Christianity in the sense that Judaism is slightly more of a philosophy/way of life than just a religion. Not being, or ever having been, Jewish, I don't have first-hand experience, but that's what I've been led to believe by various sources.

" I may be slightly off, because I don't fully understand the OP's point. Living in accordance with your religion doesn't make it more than a religion in my opinion"

living in accordance with your religion means that you no longer think of it as a religion imposed upon you. You think of it as your philosophical view of the world, a way for you to live your life happily without constant confusion of what is right or wrong.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:22:57 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:16:50 AM, wierdman wrote:

" I may be slightly off, because I don't fully understand the OP's point. Living in accordance with your religion doesn't make it more than a religion in my opinion"

living in accordance with your religion means that you no longer think of it as a religion imposed upon you. You think of it as your philosophical view of the world, a way for you to live your life happily without constant confusion of what is right or wrong.

Ah, you mean substituting religion for thought. Whatever floats your boat.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:26:46 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:22:57 AM, Pozzo wrote:

No, i mean using religion as your guide.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:32:57 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:26:46 AM, wierdman wrote:

What's the difference?
If you're suggesting that we act as religion dictates when religion is right, and act otherwise when it is not, your religion is essentially redundant as a philosophy. It's reduced to a filler of gaps that may not necessarily need to be filled.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:56:56 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:32:57 AM, Pozzo wrote:

What's the difference?
If you're suggesting that we act as religion dictates when religion is right, and act otherwise when it is not, your religion is essentially redundant as a philosophy. It's reduced to a filler of gaps that may not necessarily need to be filled.

no i am saying that we act in accordance to our religion when the situation calls for it. You are suggesting that religion should take over our personal will to make choices and i am saying that religion guides us to make those choices.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:08:43 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:56:56 AM, wierdman wrote:

What's the difference?

no i am saying that we act in accordance to our religion when the situation calls for it. You are suggesting that religion should take over our personal will to make choices and i am saying that religion guides us to make those choices.

When does the situation call for it?
I am suggesting the opposite. We should act without regard for God. I hate that guy. No gods, no masters and all that. I can relate to Christian atheists much more than Christians though.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:12:31 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:08:43 AM, Pozzo wrote:

What's the difference?

I am suggesting the opposite. We should act without regard for God. I hate that guy. No gods, no masters and all that. I can relate to Christian atheists much more than Christians though.

In times of confusion and temptation.

In response to your point, if we act without any God, then the world would be a total mess as one would not be able to tell the difference between right and wrong
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:21:49 AM
At 7/25/2011 6:44:20 AM, wierdman wrote:
Christianity is nit just a religion, its a way of life. If you look at true Christians, you would find that they live there lives carefully and morally despite whatever temptations come there way.

Is there any religion that isn't like that?
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:28:33 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:21:49 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:

no
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:34:19 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:28:33 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 7/25/2011 8:21:49 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:

no

I agree. Christianity, like almost any other religion, is very multifaceted and very diversely practiced. That is the way we normally think of religions, or at least that is the way I normally think of religions. Because it is typical for religions to have their tentacles reaching and integrating into every part of life, it would take a heckuva lot to make Christianity in particular considerably more than "just a religion."
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:43:56 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:12:31 AM, wierdman wrote:

What's the difference?

In response to your point, if we act without any God, then the world would be a total mess as one would not be able to tell the difference between right and wrong

Temptation being the urge to do that which is not holy?
First, right and wrong are labels. Constructs. They don't mean anything.
Second, religion is absolutely, irrefutably not the only system of morality. It isn't even provably special. Also, Christian atheists act without regard for God, but I'm pretty sure you'd agree with those guys.
Third, there's a whole lot of religion (five billion-ish adherents) flying about these days and the world is still a ****ing mess.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:09:09 AM
At 7/25/2011 8:43:56 AM, Pozzo wrote:

What's the difference?

Second, religion is absolutely, irrefutably not the only system of morality. It isn't even provably special. Also, Christian atheists act without regard for God, but I'm pretty sure you'd agree with those guys.
Third, there's a whole lot of religion (five billion-ish adherents) flying about these days and the world is still a ****ing mess.

The World is a mess becuase many do not allow there rligion to guide them. Without any religion then the world and everyone in it will be a mess.
A religion is the most organized phylosophy in the world.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:18:45 AM

Can you point out a Christian Athiest? Is this an agnostic with Christian leanings?

Also as to the world be a mess... I agree the athiestic regimes as Nazi, Stalin, Mao these all fundamentally detract from the world where as Christianity has only blessed it. Western Nations today being the leading example.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:28:21 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:18:45 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Can you point out a Christian Athiest? Is this an agnostic with Christian leanings?

Also as to the world be a mess... I agree the athiestic regimes as Nazi, Stalin, Mao these all fundamentally detract from the world where as Christianity has only blessed it. Western Nations today being the leading example.

i agree
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:33:07 AM

A Christian atheist is one that accepts the teachings of Jesus Christ, but not his divinity. They think the morality etc. is all pretty spot on, but that the Biblical God is essentially a symbol/metaphor.

Sorry, what? Even if one accepts that the Western nations are a force for good (arguable in itself), Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with that. Do you honestly believe that if all Western governments became completely atheistic, they would start slaughtering Jews and dissidents?
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:36:18 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:09:09 AM, wierdman wrote:

What's the difference?

The World is a mess becuase many do not allow there rligion to guide them. Without any religion then the world and everyone in it will be a mess.
A religion is the most organized phylosophy in the world.

Or because too many do.
The Nazis were organised. Organised=/= good.
How organised religion is arguable too. Look at the many Christian denominations. Look at how they persecute each other. Look at the disagreements. It's chaotic.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:38:57 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:33:07 AM, Pozzo wrote:

A Christian atheist is one that accepts the teachings of Jesus Christ, but not his divinity. They think the morality etc. is all pretty spot on, but that the Biblical God is essentially a symbol/metaphor.
How can they believe in the teching of someone or something they find to be a myth.
Sorry, what? Even if one accepts that the Western nations are a force for good (arguable in itself), Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with that. Do you honestly believe that if all Western governments became completely atheistic, they would start slaughtering Jews and dissidents?

Its called segregation; "holocuast"
Christiuanity shaped the way of the western world as it provided a guide for them to follow in raising there countries.

No Christianity means no organized civilization.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:41:18 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:38:57 AM, wierdman wrote:

How can they believe in the teching of someone or something they find to be a myth.

Christiuanity shaped the way of the western world as it provided a guide for them to follow in raising there countries.

http://atheism.about.com...
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:47:23 AM

Read it again, sir. They do not believe that he was a god. This does not mean they think he was a myth. They believe he was a man. They believe his teachings were correct/wise/good, so they subscribe to his system of morality, but not the idea of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator-god.

Yes. And...

Not necessarily. The areas in which it has are bad. Gay marriage being the prime example.

You must be insane. Christianity is not necessary for organised civilisation. The Nazis were organised and civilised, but they've just been branded atheistic. The Soviet Union was (somewhat poorly) organised and civilised, but atheistic. These aren't the best examples though.

Take my country, Britain. Everyone becomes atheist. What do you think will happen?
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 9:48:27 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:41:18 AM, wierdman wrote:

Did you read that link?
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:04:16 AM
At 7/25/2011 9:48:27 AM, Pozzo wrote:

Did you read that link?

yes i am saying that the majority of nazi politicians where atheists
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:09:57 AM
At 7/25/2011 10:04:16 AM, wierdman wrote:

Did you read that link?

I'd appreciate it if you answered my other post as well.
I repeat, did you read that link?
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:10:42 AM
At 7/25/2011 10:09:57 AM, Pozzo wrote:

Did you read that link?

YES!
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:14:26 AM
At 7/25/2011 10:10:42 AM, wierdman wrote:

Did you read that link?

YES!

In which it says that Hitler was probably a Catholic, that the Nazi party actively endorsed Christianity and that millions of Christians, along with Catholic leaders, endorsed the Nazis?
Also, answer the other post.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 10:17:54 AM
At 7/25/2011 10:14:26 AM, Pozzo wrote:
At 7/25/2011 10:10:42 AM, wierdman wrote:

Did you read that link?

YES!

In which it says that Hitler was probably a Catholic, that the Nazi party actively endorsed Christianity and that millions of Christians, along with Catholic leaders, endorsed the Nazis?
Also, answer the other post.

i can't answer the first post, but to the second i say: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz...