Jump to topic:

Can Anyone Other Than Christians Go to Heaven

Hambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 12:49:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do Christians believe that anyone other than other Christians can get into heaven? I know the Bible says the only way to the Father is through [Jesus], but I also hear a lot about unconditional love, which, to me, makes me think you don't have to be a fundamentalist Christian in order to go to heaven. What about people in unpopulated areas of the world who may have never heard of Christianity and never had an opportunity to do so? It seems to me that the tenants of Christianity are more about love and forgiveness and less about damning exclusivity. Just seems to contradictory.
Hot and Dangerous
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 1:25:55 PM
At 7/26/2011 12:49:05 PM, Hambone wrote:
Do Christians believe that anyone other than other Christians can get into heaven? I know the Bible says the only way to the Father is through [Jesus], but I also hear a lot about unconditional love, which, to me, makes me think you don't have to be a fundamentalist Christian in order to go to heaven. What about people in unpopulated areas of the world who may have never heard of Christianity and never had an opportunity to do so? It seems to me that the tenants of Christianity are more about love and forgiveness and less about damning exclusivity. Just seems to contradictory.

Romans Ch 1-2 teaches those who do not know God are a law unto themselves and will be judged on judgement day according to their actions.

Additionally, Abrahams Bosom (waiting place) is for people who did not live holy lives. Catholics and Eastern Orthodox call this place purgatory - same concept.

Heaven is for those who devoted themselves Holy unto God.

People who did not have the opportunity in this life will have it in the next, to devote themselves and grow to a place of holiness to get into heaven.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:25:36 PM

I've found a general maxim gives a good rule of thumb for who gets into heaven:

"You can rape and repent, just don't be Jewish."
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:34:55 PM
At 7/26/2011 2:25:36 PM, Wnope wrote:

Quite Humorous
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 2:41:29 PM
At 7/26/2011 2:18:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
But what if you DO know God (i.e., you reject Chrisitanity) but you're also a good person.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 3:04:30 PM
At 7/26/2011 2:34:55 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Quite Humorous

And disturbingly true, assuming you "truly" repent.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 4:05:17 PM
Some Christians do. I am a Christian Inclusivist, as I believe PCP is. I suggest reading the end of PCP's recent debate to see why non-Christians can get into Heaven. Put simply, I don't see why an omni-benevolent God would prevent a man like Gandhi entering Heaven, but I'm a Christian Inclusivist, so no problem.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 4:46:33 PM
Personal Belief: The spiritual world does not work in such a way, it does not matter how negative or positive you are in physical life, there is still existence after death and your existence/reality will always reflect your individual energy. You can always neutralize negative energy with positive energy. Self responsibility plays a huge role here though, just asking to be forgiven or "saved" will not help clear your negative energy. It is all up to you. It is your responsibility. There is no easy way out. Nobody can clear your negative deeds and your negative energy. It is up to you. You and only you.

Jesus was an incarnation of love. Of positive energy. Do you think that he wanted all this judgement done in his name? Think about it. Use your heart when you think. You can't believe everything you read, just as you can't believe everything that is on television. Books were the media of the ancient era. The people who control the system, control the media. The media controls what information is presents to you. Do you belief everything the media presents, the way it presents it? Don't be so naive to think that some of the teachings and text could not have been manipulated or mistranslated.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 6:46:24 PM
At 7/26/2011 4:46:33 PM, Tiel wrote:
Personal Belief: The spiritual world does not work in such a way, it does not matter how negative or positive you are in physical life, there is still existence after death and your existence/reality will always reflect your individual energy. You can always neutralize negative energy with positive energy. Self responsibility plays a huge role here though, just asking to be forgiven or "saved" will not help clear your negative energy. It is all up to you. It is your responsibility. There is no easy way out. Nobody can clear your negative deeds and your negative energy. It is up to you. You and only you.

Jesus was an incarnation of love. Of positive energy. Do you think that he wanted all this judgement done in his name? Think about it. Use your heart when you think. You can't believe everything you read, just as you can't believe everything that is on television. Books were the media of the ancient era. The people who control the system, control the media. The media controls what information is presents to you. Do you belief everything the media presents, the way it presents it? Don't be so naive to think that some of the teachings and text could not have been manipulated or mistranslated.

If you cannot believe everything you read or that is on television how do you know what you know?
How do you know what you are believing is accurate?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 7:03:30 PM
At 7/26/2011 6:46:24 PM, Gileandos wrote:

If you cannot believe everything you read or that is on television how do you know what you know?

Everything you believe is accurate as far as it pertains to the existence of the belief itself. Everything is derived from personal belief, your entire reality is shaped in such a way.

I know nothing more than what I believe I know, this is true for all conscious creations. But I will not let myself be naive.

I might believe that a purple hawk will fly across my head at exactly 5pm everyday after today and that belief will be true onto the existence of itself. But if the purple hawk does not fly over my head at exactly 5pm tomorrow, I can learn and apply my intelligence to form new beliefs and questions or I can be naive and just expect it to fly over my head the next day no matter what today's information has to offer in forming a new intelligent belief. The point is to always learn and use this new intelligence in the formation of your beliefs. This way your beliefs are always as accurate as they can be based on the level of your current intelligence.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 7:25:29 PM
At 7/26/2011 7:03:30 PM, Tiel wrote:

Everything you believe is accurate as far as it pertains to the existence of the belief itself. Everything is derived from personal belief, your entire reality is shaped in such a way.

I know nothing more than what I believe I know, this is true for all conscious creations. But I will not let myself be naive.

I might believe that a purple hawk will fly across my head at exactly 5pm everyday after today and that belief will be true onto the existence of itself. But if the purple hawk does not fly over my head at exactly 5pm tomorrow, I can learn and apply my intelligence to form new beliefs and questions or I can be naive and just expect it to fly over my head the next day no matter what today's information has to offer in forming a new intelligent belief. The point is to always learn and use this new intelligence in the formation of your beliefs. This way your beliefs are always as accurate as they can be based on the level of your current intelligence.

So they only way you effectively learn is through experience?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 8:30:18 PM
At 7/26/2011 7:25:29 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Reply: An experience is the awareness of existence taking a finite form of infinite possibilities, so all personal knowledge comes from experience. You must always remember that experiences come in an infinite amount of forms though. Reading textual information is one kind of experience, observing another living entity is a different experience, and touching a hot stove is yet another different kind of experience. Being naive; never question information and always accepting it as the truth is just as bad as being a closed minded and questioning everything while never accepting anything as true. Neither extreme will lead you to the truth. Neither extreme will build intelligence or wisdom. The path is in the middle. The path is balance. Unbiased logic and rationality. That's the path to enlightenment.

Love, Compassion, and Courage are the path of Light (positive energy).

Hate, Judgement, and Fear are the path of Darkness (negative energy).
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 9:23:33 PM
At 7/26/2011 8:30:18 PM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: An experience is the awareness of existence taking a finite form of infinite possibilities, so all personal knowledge comes from experience. You must always remember that experiences come in an infinite amount of forms though. Reading textual information is one kind of experience, observing another living entity is a different experience, and touching a hot stove is yet another different kind of experience. Being naive; never question information and always accepting it as the truth is just as bad as being a closed minded and questioning everything while never accepting anything as true. Neither extreme will lead you to the truth. Neither extreme will build intelligence or wisdom. The path is in the middle. The path is balance. Unbiased logic and rationality. That's the path to enlightenment.

No its not.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 10:07:11 PM
At 7/26/2011 9:23:33 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/26/2011 8:30:18 PM, Tiel wrote:

No its not.

Reply: No it's not? What an intelligent response. Bravo.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 5:18:27 AM

You may only repent of the things you do DESPITE your best intentions or in ignorance; to do otherwise is to follow Judas to destruction:

John 13:18
"I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: ‘He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.'

John 13:27
As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. "What you are about to do, do quickly," Jesus told him,

Judas essentially used Gods goodness (His forgiveness and mercy) against Him and satan then had the right to possess him completely; this is exactly what YOU are advocating.
The Cross.. the Cross.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 8:48:34 AM
At 7/26/2011 1:38:59 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Sure.

How? The Bible is pretty clear about the only way to God the father is through Jesus the son, and having to accept Jesus as your Lord and savior.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:06:48 AM
Do Christians believe that anyone other than other Christians can get into heaven? I know the Bible says the only way to the Father is through [Jesus], but I also hear a lot about unconditional love, which, to me, makes me think you don't have to be a fundamentalist Christian in order to go to heaven. What about people in unpopulated areas of the world who may have never heard of Christianity and never had an opportunity to do so? It seems to me that the tenants of Christianity are more about love and forgiveness and less about damning exclusivity. Just seems to contradictory.:

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -- John 3:16

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." -- Romans 10:9

If a Christian subscribes to the notion of "Sola Scriptura," they don't have a choice. It's Jesus or damnation. Those are the only two biblical options.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:13:53 AM
I don't see why an omni-benevolent God would prevent a man like Gandhi entering Heaven:

So your argument rests on personal incredulity, not what the bible very evidently says about it?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:17:18 AM
Isaac Embezzleberg and three of his Christian buddies had been drinking heavily at their local branch of Hooters when they decided to drive over to KFC to gorge themselves on Double Downs, Crispy Strips and fries, but sadly, they never made it.

As they drove past the district tax office, a militant Libertarian detonated a bomb which he had planted outside the building and they were all killed in the blast.

On arrival at the Pearly Gates, St Peter welcomed the three Christian guys and ushered them into Heaven but when Isaac tried to follow them in, St Peter blocked his path and pointed to a sign on the gates which read:

"CHRISTIANS ONLY. NO INFIDELS PERMITTED BEYOND THIS POINT."

"But," said Isaac, "I want to be with my friends."

"Sorry Sir," replied St Peter, "Heaven is a strictly Christian-only paradise, the Jewish paradise is 300 yards down the road on your right."

"Wait!" says Isaac, "I recently donated $100 to Pro-Life America, surely that counts for something?"

"Well Sir," says St Peter "That's very admirable but I still can't let you in."

"But," protests Isaac, "I also gave $100 to the Tea Party campaign, surely you can bend the rules in the light of that?"

"Sorry" replied St Peter, "That's a very good cause and all, but rules are rules."

"Oh please!" says Isaac, "Look, just yesterday I donated $100 to the Family Research Council."

St Peter was really impressed with that and said: "I tell you what, I call the boss and ask him to come down and decide."

So Jesus arrives and St Peter explains how Isaac has given three good causes $100 each and Jesus scratched his beard and walked over to Isaac, pulled out his purse and said: "Okay, here's $300, now fvck off."
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:28:39 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:06:48 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Do Christians believe that anyone other than other Christians can get into heaven? I know the Bible says the only way to the Father is through [Jesus], but I also hear a lot about unconditional love, which, to me, makes me think you don't have to be a fundamentalist Christian in order to go to heaven. What about people in unpopulated areas of the world who may have never heard of Christianity and never had an opportunity to do so? It seems to me that the tenants of Christianity are more about love and forgiveness and less about damning exclusivity. Just seems to contradictory.:

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -- John 3:16

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." -- Romans 10:9

If a Christian subscribes to the notion of "Sola Scriptura," they don't have a choice. It's Jesus or damnation. Those are the only two biblical options.

Revelation 20:12-14
New International Version (NIV)
12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

It helps when you put everything into context.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:33:21 AM
At 7/27/2011 8:48:34 AM, nonentity wrote:
Sure.

How? The Bible is pretty clear about the only way to God the father is through Jesus the son, and having to accept Jesus as your Lord and savior.

And inclusivists acknowledge and assent to that. There, however, is a difference between explicit and implicit belief. No where does the bible say or imply that that explicit belief in Jesus is a necessary condition for salvation; it says that it is sufficient.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:38:50 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:13:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't see why an omni-benevolent God would prevent a man like Gandhi entering Heaven:

So your argument rests on personal incredulity, not what the bible very evidently says about it?

If Ghandi did not receive the Gift Of The Holy Ghost...........Then he too is lost.
God does not discriminate, or go back on his Word. Just because you are a beloved
spiritual guide or counselar, that in itself does not qualify one to eternal life.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:41:49 AM

No christian inclusivist says that one can be saved through anything except for jesus. it's how jesus saves that's in dispute.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:43:32 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:33:21 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/27/2011 8:48:34 AM, nonentity wrote:
Sure.

And inclusivists acknowledge and assent to that. There, however, is a difference between explicit and implicit belief. No where does the bible say or imply that that explicit belief in Jesus is a necessary condition for salvation; it says that it is sufficient.:

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. NO one enters the kingdom of heaven EXCEPT through ME. -- Jesus Christ of Nazareth

Sounds pretty exclusive to me.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:44:12 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:41:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

No christian inclusivist says that one can be saved through anything except for jesus. it's how jesus saves that's in dispute.

Pop. There is no dispute. Jesus saves only because of grace.
If you are filled with the Holy Ghost, then you are saved.
It requires the speaking or stammering of tongues as the Spirit Of God gives
one utterance. And you must also be Baptized in order to receive eternal life.
That goes for everyone, even you.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:45:05 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:38:50 AM, inferno wrote:
At 7/27/2011 9:13:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If Ghandi did not receive the Gift Of The Holy Ghost...........Then he too is lost.
God does not discriminate, or go back on his Word. Just because you are a beloved:

Okay, then my point stands. Thank you for agreeing with me.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 9:47:52 AM
At 7/27/2011 9:41:49 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

No christian inclusivist says that one can be saved through anything except for jesus. it's how jesus saves that's in dispute.:

Okay, then it's irrelevant to the OP. The only point of the OP was that Christians believe that you have to be saved through Jesus.

I'm not, then, understanding the relevance of Christian inclusivity, as it still supports the contention of the OP.