Total Posts:123|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The angry atheist

tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:04:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I often hear stories on Facebook and Youtube of atheist philosophy professors who try to ruin everyone's day with their condescending remarks, and there are undoubtedly atheists out there like that, however I've rarely come across them apart from a few users on here whom I highly suspect are trolls. Could people (both religious and otherwise) share any experiences with that type of person you may have had? For example, what did they say? What did you think? What did you say? Where were you? What prompted the rantings?
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:25:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've not really encountered that as such, but then I am British and we have a far more sensible attitude to religion over here.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:32:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Haha, just curious but what's more sensible about the british attitude towards religion?
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:36:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 1:32:26 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
Haha, just curious but what's more sensible about the british attitude towards religion?

Apathy.

We have had our religious wars, now we have grown up and we don't really care. We are a happy secular society with very few fundies. Religion survives as a remnant of the culture, regular church goers are seen as odd, but thats about it. Atheists never complain about discrimination.

I am talking about the English here, the WASPs as it were.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:43:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gotcha. I unreasonably took what you said immediatly as a tad snobbish. I apologize.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:45:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know of no atheists who act like this but I can imagine it to be a problem. They act all high and mighty when they were just like those people a while back.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:45:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 1:43:18 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
Gotcha. I unreasonably took what you said immediatly as a tad snobbish. I apologize.

Oh I did not even pick up on that... and maybe in a round about way it was! Nevermind.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 4:42:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
To be honest, in my experience, the fundies are really the angry wankers.

Of course, while they are openly discriminating against atheists, they try to make it like the atheists are the ones doing it to them. It is to your advantage if you appear to be the victim.

I'd imagine that most of the angry atheists that you might see are probably just fed up with being treated like war criminals for their beliefs. Atheists belong to the most hated minority in the United States.

I once dated a girl who told her mother that I wasn't a Christian. Her mother told her back, "As long as he isn't an atheist, he's fine with me".

Technically, I could be considered an atheist, because most theists reject the validity of my understanding of what God is.

I was publicly more outspoken about religion a couple years ago, but it wasn't very effective, and it only got me into trouble. At first, it started out simply as me explaining why I couldn't believe to the people close to me who would interrogate me about it... But soon after, I faced very open discrimination, ridicule, was attacked on several occasions, and was subjected to 3 exorcisms. I was threatened in all manner of ways.. So while I was undergoing all of this, I became very outspoken about what I considered to be PURE FUGGIN EVIL.

Those same people don't bug me that much about it anymore, and only sometimes feel the need to inform others of my personal beliefs(which I find annoying, because I know first hand how people will treat you differently if they know you're a dirty heathen). I keep my beliefs to myself. If someone wants to know these things, they can directly ask.

Otherwise, I speak to a Christian as if I am a Christian. I speak to Hindu as if I am a Hindu. I speak to a Buddhist as if I am a Buddhist. etc.

I am none of these things, yet at the same time, I am every one. I am aware of my direct communication with God, and I obtained this awareness by having pure intentions and a spirit of intellectual integrity. I pity those who are complacent in their ignorance. This is the character defect that prolongs their suffering.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 2:52:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 1:25:43 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I've not really encountered that as such, but then I am British and we have a far more sensible attitude to religion over here.

hehehehe

hmmmhahmmm

ha...hahahahahaaAHAHAHABWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Do standup. Seriously.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 3:03:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 4:42:02 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I am none of these things, yet at the same time, I am every one. I am aware of my direct communication with God, and I obtained this awareness by having pure intentions and a spirit of intellectual integrity. I pity those who are complacent in their ignorance. This is the character defect that prolongs their suffering.

why call it "god"

The word God implies a personality.. or a will.. some thinking individual...

you constantly talk of how people get caught up in petty communication problems, and yet you seem to go to lengths to procure such problems for yourself.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 3:08:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 3:03:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I am aware of my direct communication with God

also given that I don't think you'd suggest God is an Individual, Conscious, entity.. I don't see how you "communicate" with God in the traditional meaning of "communicate"...

I see how you might naturally come to understandings of things given that you open yourself to Reality.. and let experiences and understandings come forth From that reality... but I don't see "communication" given that "communication" denotes the transfer of ideas from one person to another.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 3:08:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 1:04:12 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I often hear stories on Facebook and Youtube of atheist philosophy professors who try to ruin everyone's day with their condescending remarks, and there are undoubtedly atheists out there like that, however I've rarely come across them apart from a few users on here whom I highly suspect are trolls. Could people (both religious and otherwise) share any experiences with that type of person you may have had? For example, what did they say? What did you think? What did you say? Where were you? What prompted the rantings?

High school, my fellow classmates, but then they were real world trolls, just saying stuff for attention and because it is cool to be "extreme" (like one student that said if Bush got re-elected [in 2004], she would move to Japan, and another said that they would probably kill themselves, of course neither did).

I also tend to hear it a bit "around the water cooler" at work, but nothing extreme or anything.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 3:42:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 1:36:51 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/5/2011 1:32:26 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
Haha, just curious but what's more sensible about the british attitude towards religion?

Apathy.

We have had our religious wars, now we have grown up and we don't really care. We are a happy secular society with very few fundies. Religion survives as a remnant of the culture, regular church goers are seen as odd, but thats about it. Atheists never complain about discrimination.

I am talking about the English here, the WASPs as it were.

Although I appreciate your nationalism, the two most fervent Christians on this site are from your little island. In fact Zets lives somewhere over there too.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 8:42:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 8:45:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 8:42:45 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, the angry atheist himself! Militant, intolerant, and bigoted, he is a perfect embodiment of the worst characteristics of a man without belief or faith.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 8:49:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 8:45:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/5/2011 8:42:45 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, the angry atheist himself! Militant, intolerant, and bigoted, he is a perfect embodiment of the worst characteristics of a man without belief or faith.

But yeah me calling a bunch of people who demand respect for these idiotic beliefs idiots is bad, get a fuckin clue jackass.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 8:51:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
But yeah religion did more then ruin that person in the first video f'n day jackass.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 8:52:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nobody's demanding that you respect anything. Just don't be an a$$hole.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:00:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
why that shows respect to organizations that kill maim, oppress and do what ever the fucks they want, why should i respect them enough not to treat them the way their religion treats the rest of the world? As a matter of fact I treat them far superior then they treat the rest of the world, yet Im the a$shole, I don't believe anyone deserves to burn eternally, christians and muslims not so much
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:02:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you openly admit to being part of a group that thinks anyone not part of your group should justifiably suffer, then you deserve to be treated like a low life. Yup thats most religions.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:05:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If a person came out and said hitler will return and complete his destruction of the jews and based their belief on whatever hitler says is right that person deserves ridicule and embarrassment, I fail to see how changing the name from hitler to jesus and jews to non-christians changes that fact.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:09:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:02:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If you openly admit to being part of a group that thinks anyone not part of your group should justifiably suffer, then you deserve to be treated like a low life. Yup thats most atheists.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:11:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:09:59 PM, Cobo wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:02:09 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If you openly admit to being part of a group that thinks anyone not part of your group should justifiably suffer, then you deserve to be treated like a low life. Yup thats most atheists.

says the nazi to the the allies.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:14:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:05:36 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If a person came out and said hitler will return and complete his destruction of the jews and based their belief on whatever hitler says is right that person deserves ridicule and embarrassment, I fail to see how changing the name from hitler to jesus and jews to non-christians changes that fact.

Or you could ignore them. What good comes from you being a jerk to people who disagree with you? Absolutely nothing. Instead you cause people who would be otherwise apathetic and possibly open minded to become hostile and resentful of the ideas you're trying to promote. And the really hardcore fundamentalists which seem to make up a majority of the people you're angry at are only going to feel stronger about their convictions that you're "evil".
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:19:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:14:07 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:05:36 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If a person came out and said hitler will return and complete his destruction of the jews and based their belief on whatever hitler says is right that person deserves ridicule and embarrassment, I fail to see how changing the name from hitler to jesus and jews to non-christians changes that fact.

Or you could ignore them. What good comes from you being a jerk to people who disagree with you? Absolutely nothing. Instead you cause people who would be otherwise apathetic and possibly open minded to become hostile and resentful of the ideas you're trying to promote. And the really hardcore fundamentalists which seem to make up a majority of the people you're angry at are only going to feel stronger about their convictions that you're "evil".

Great idea shut up and let people with disgusting ideas just continuing living with them that worked so well with the nazis, they almost had all of europe. lets not change the zeitgeist by pushing these ideas as absolutely appalling using the tools we have such as logic and outright mockery.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:20:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The angry atheist has spoken; he is now underway in his comments, forum, and voting war against the Christian community.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:23:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:20:17 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
The angry atheist has spoken; he is now underway in his comments, forum, and voting war against the Christian community.

the problem is not that i stand up its that you idiots don't see that religion needs to be stood up against in the name of truth, especially when it oppresses millions, justifies stoning, justifies parents not seeking proper medical attention, justifies worldwide child rape cover ups, justifies killing thousands by flying planes into buildings, how much will it take for you jackasses to wake up and say, wait belief without justification may not be ok.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:27:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:19:11 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:14:07 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:05:36 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If a person came out and said hitler will return and complete his destruction of the jews and based their belief on whatever hitler says is right that person deserves ridicule and embarrassment, I fail to see how changing the name from hitler to jesus and jews to non-christians changes that fact.

Or you could ignore them. What good comes from you being a jerk to people who disagree with you? Absolutely nothing. Instead you cause people who would be otherwise apathetic and possibly open minded to become hostile and resentful of the ideas you're trying to promote. And the really hardcore fundamentalists which seem to make up a majority of the people you're angry at are only going to feel stronger about their convictions that you're "evil".

Great idea shut up and let people with disgusting ideas just continuing living with them that worked so well with the nazis, they almost had all of europe. lets not change the zeitgeist by pushing these ideas as absolutely appalling using the tools we have such as logic and outright mockery.

Despite the blatant Godwin, I'll continue. While the dark ages sucked monkey butts, I've never been physically acosted because of my ideology. At the very worst I had people think and say mean things (fortunately I grew up in the second grade and stopped caring). Also, who exactly decides what's an acceptable ideology? When does it go too far?
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 9:30:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/5/2011 9:27:47 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:19:11 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:14:07 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 8/5/2011 9:05:36 PM, izbo10 wrote:
If a person came out and said hitler will return and complete his destruction of the jews and based their belief on whatever hitler says is right that person deserves ridicule and embarrassment, I fail to see how changing the name from hitler to jesus and jews to non-christians changes that fact.

Or you could ignore them. What good comes from you being a jerk to people who disagree with you? Absolutely nothing. Instead you cause people who would be otherwise apathetic and possibly open minded to become hostile and resentful of the ideas you're trying to promote. And the really hardcore fundamentalists which seem to make up a majority of the people you're angry at are only going to feel stronger about their convictions that you're "evil".

Great idea shut up and let people with disgusting ideas just continuing living with them that worked so well with the nazis, they almost had all of europe. lets not change the zeitgeist by pushing these ideas as absolutely appalling using the tools we have such as logic and outright mockery.

Despite the blatant Godwin, I'll continue. While the dark ages sucked monkey butts, I've never been physically acosted because of my ideology. At the very worst I had people think and say mean things (fortunately I grew up in the second grade and stopped caring). Also, who exactly decides what's an acceptable ideology? When does it go too far?

well good thing idiots like you weren't making decisions back in the late 30s hitlers group would still be running things,because who decides what ideologies are acceptable right?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.