Jump to topic:

Karma bites it's tongue.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 11:22:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just a thought, given the law of karma, which is; if someone does good or evil to something or someone, then they will either have good or evil done unto them, hence what goes around comes around.

Having that in mind, one question seems to contradict such a notion as karma. If karma works and exists due to actions which all have some degree of good or evil, then what was first, good or evil? If good came first then why is there evil and if evil came first, why is there such thing as good?

Thoughts please.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 11:24:56 AM
As I understand it that is our stupid western version, karma decides in what form you are born in your next life.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 11:39:46 AM
At 8/6/2011 11:22:34 AM, GodSands wrote:
Just a thought, given the law of karma, which is; if someone does good or evil to something or someone, then they will either have good or evil done unto them, hence what goes around comes around.

This is very oversimplified version of what Karma is, and depending on your understanding of what "good" and "evil" are, it can be wrong. In your worldview, I'd imagine that many people do evil, and still come out ahead.

Karma is a primitive understanding of what in mathematics is called "chaos".

Having that in mind, one question seems to contradict such a notion as karma. If karma works and exists due to actions which all have some degree of good or evil, then what was first, good or evil? If good came first then why is there evil and if evil came first, why is there such thing as good?

Thoughts please.

Is it hard to accept that they both exist at the same time?

Every action you do releases both positive and negative karma. You do someone a favor, and even something that simple might bight you in the @ss later. Chaos is unpredictable, even if it is fundamentally deterministic.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 11:39:58 AM
At 8/6/2011 11:24:56 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
As I understand it that is our stupid western version, karma decides in what form you are born in your next life.

I think that's more the hindu version..

In Good buddhism I think it simply describes the idea that All things operate by Cause and Effect..

In More Religiousy buddhism I think it's kind of still suggested that "good" follows "good"... kind of like Godsands suggests.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 11:43:48 AM
At 8/6/2011 11:22:34 AM, GodSands wrote:
If karma works and exists due to actions which all have some degree of good or evil, then what was first, good or evil? If good came first then why is there evil and if evil came first, why is there such thing as good?

perhaps that's a problem for Religiousy buddhism.. but it's notion of Karma is unfounded anyhow..

Karma as Cause and Effect is the basis upon which we understand All occurences... it is perhaps the Most well founded thing one can hold to.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."