Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

What was Sodom and Gomorrah's greatest sin?

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:41:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
S'dom and Gomorrah were sister cities in the ancient east who, for that time, was very progressive. Unlike many of their neighboring contemporaries, this particular culture was extremely xenophobic. In most middle-eastern cultures, hospitality towards strangers is something they are literally willing to die for. This custom remains intact in many Middle Eastern cultures. Not so with these people, however.

While the details are not perfectly clear, there are allusions that they engaged in bizarre sexual acts and in general were a violent and distempered people. On one occasion, when 2 angels entered the city, a mob gathered around the house of Abram who took them in. Abram, attempting to satisfy the crowd, even tried to barter his virgin daughters so that they wouldn't rape and sodomize the 2 men (who were actually angels).

I dispute the fact that "homosexuality" was the greatest sin that caused the judgment and will give more reasons why later on. In the meantime, discuss.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 12:51:52 PM
sounds to me like the greatest sin was the threat of rape.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 4:46:11 PM
The greatest sin was inhospitablity, according to the bible and extra-biblical sources, such as Flavius Josephus. But since no one seems to give a crap, I guess I won't go out of my way to pull up quotes.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)