Jump to topic:

Explain this about god

Wain84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:25:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How is it that when good things happen god get the credit but when bad things happen god didn't do it? If he wants to do good why not start by eliminating the bad?
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:27:28 PM
At 8/9/2011 6:25:58 PM, Wain84 wrote:
How is it that when good things happen god get the credit but when bad things happen god didn't do it? If he wants to do good why not start by eliminating the bad?

Actually many christians believe that bad things are part of God's plan to make the world better. In fact, they claim that the Apocalypse (Rapture) will be God's doing.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:33:25 PM
At 8/9/2011 6:27:28 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Actually many christians believe that bad things are part of God's plan to make the world better. In fact, they claim that the Apocalypse (Rapture) will be God's doing.

Rapture is not part of the Apocalypse, it is a seperate event to proceed the Apocalypse.

Though many people do blame God for bad things in their lives. You'll often hear them ask things like "why me?" and what not.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wain84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 6:39:34 PM
Interesting, I don't see why he lets people rape children to achieve that goal but a Christian would argue that is my limited understanding. Simply put what you said is god allows horrible things to the greater good(which includes sending billions of people to hell for simply not believing in him no matter how good).I can not follow that. For all believers who may read this I mean no disrespect I am just having discussion.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 7:03:27 PM

Rapture is not part of the Apocalypse, it is a seperate event to proceed the Apocalypse.:

Depending upon one's interpretation. There are Pre-Trib, Mid-Trib, and Post-Trib(ulation) Christians.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 7:07:04 PM
At 8/9/2011 6:33:25 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Rapture is not part of the Apocalypse, it is a seperate event to proceed the Apocalypse.

I was hoping that was implied.

Though many people do blame God for bad things in their lives. You'll often hear them ask things like "why me?" and what not.

That was god's main function for me before I became an atheist. :P
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 2:01:37 AM
what makes you think you can understand gods ways? all the brilliant genius scientists cant understand so much of what goes on in this world what makes you think we would understand god?
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 2:26:33 AM

Actually many christians believe that bad things are part of God's plan to make the world better.

Yeah. I mean, if God's omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, as most truly religious people believe he must necessarily be in order to exist, those "bad things" are part of a plan for the bigger picture that best serves humanity. Or something like that. At least that's what I tried to convince myself back when I believed in the God of Judaism - that because of those two omni's that God must necessarily possess, nothing is really "bad" because God's got a plan that works out in the long run. After considerable thought I decided the "bigger picture" argument could at best only work for a "bigger picture" God, thus not a personal God, thus not the God of the 3 Abrahamic religions, and thus by most standards not God at all. Hope that made sense.
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 2:33:58 AM
At 8/10/2011 2:26:33 AM, jat93 wrote:

Actually many christians believe that bad things are part of God's plan to make the world better.

Yeah. I mean, if God's omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, as most truly religious people believe he must necessarily be in order to exist, those "bad things" are part of a plan for the bigger picture that best serves humanity. Or something like that. At least that's what I tried to convince myself back when I believed in the God of Judaism - that because of those two omni's that God must necessarily possess, nothing is really "bad" because God's got a plan that works out in the long run. After considerable thought I decided the "bigger picture" argument could at best only work for a "bigger picture" God, thus not a personal God, thus not the God of the 3 Abrahamic religions, and thus by most standards not God at all. Hope that made sense.

define "bigger picture" you left that term vague. I would suggest the more accurate terminology would be "in the long run".
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 2:56:25 AM
At 8/10/2011 2:26:33 AM, jat93 wrote:

Great point. Never thought about it that way.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2011 9:46:10 AM

THAT'S the plan! you must begin with YOU!

Read the Gospels; Jesus' simple instructions allow us to begin this process of dying to ourselves.. because WE are the problem.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Omaribrahim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 12:03:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I dont completely believe in this but here goes, from a very Muslim point of view, God is fair. He has a reason for everything. When God says something is haram (forbidden), there must be a reason for it. When God does something bad, there must be a reason for it. Its probably to teach us a lesson, one might suggest. Its not the best way to teach a lesson, but he must have a judgement about why he's doing it that way.

Ill give you a good example that actually happened to me. Sexting is haram in Islam. I was doing that once and i got mugged. The mugger left literally left EVERYTHING in my bad (wallet, ipod, laptop, sneakers) and only took my phone. I thought that was very unfair that my phone got lost for nothing. But someone told me that maybe it was God's way of helping you to stop this since its haram. And since i didnt have a phone, i actually did stop.

Im not saying that God is either fair or good, I'm clarifying this from a Muslim's point of view thats all.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 12:40:48 PM
How about this for an explanation? Life takes it's course regardless of whether or not there is a God making it happen.

or

give the Christians the benefit of the doubt and declare there is a God. Then, good and bad is only in the eye of the beholder. For example, we could consider the worst evil ever perpetrated against humanity was the use of the atomic bomb on Nagasake where hundreds of thousands of civilian lives were lost.

Yet isn't there an American who would proclaim this to be a 'good' as opposed to a 'bad'?

Any bad can be considered a good and vice versa.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 1:39:35 PM

God sets the stage for the highest good to be achieved., Then he leaves us to have our independence, God has almighty and full independence, being children of God we acquire the qualities of our farther, we have a little independence, God does not interfere with our little independence, He wants to see see if we actually achieve the highest good or not, But the important thing to remember is that everything we do is only an action which is temporary and doesn't last forever, in other words it will disintegrate the same way a dream disintegrates, so in other words what we think is reality is similar to a dream, only a dream lasts a lot less time, but eventually the outcome is the same. The only real thing is what we make of our character whilst we are within the illusion we call reality.

Real intelligence is to seek out what is behind the material manifestation, That's where we find God.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 2:52:06 PM

Because God does not exist just to do good things and make us happy.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:12:39 PM
At 4/15/2014 2:52:06 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Because God does not exist just to do good things and make us happy.

You miss the whole point. Making Americans happy is probably making other people in other countries very unhappy. And vice versa. Americans slaughtered Iraqi children and they appeared to be happy doing it because it was for the 'good' of their country. You can't say that there are Iraqi people being made happy to see American children dieing of malnutrition in the US south. Or indeed, dancing for joy with the Israelis when the WTC came down on 911.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:48:17 PM

Why are you asking other people this question? Do you think they know God any better than you do? Are you really going to take their answer as your own if they give you one?

Why don't you ask yourself that question, and determine your own answer?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:05:29 PM

Bad is really lack of good. And I think bad things happen when good is rejected. It is like darkness that comes when the light is turned off. People have turned the light off and that is why bad things happen. If you want to eliminate bad, you have to eliminate those who don"t do good. Would it be good to eliminate all evil people?
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:07:53 PM
Necrophiliacs, man...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 12:27:32 PM

Good things and bad things from whose point of view? Some things I call bad, others call good. Some things bad to humans might be good to God.

God does take credit for many things we call bad. But truly good things always come from God.

Remember this, the Bible doesn't call God "omni-benevolent".
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 1:10:46 PM
If he wants to do good why not start by eliminating the bad?

Because:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

Sad thing if you hate evil people so much that you wouldn"t give even this chance for them.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 1:54:30 PM

Well, according to the movie it's because God employs a better personal agent. :) Seriously, though, I think it's because most people accept that sh*t happens but believe that good things must be caused. Neither is always necessarily true.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 3:36:49 PM

He has put a plan in action millennia ago, not just to eliminate all evil but to make sure it can't happen again.

OK a 7,000 year plan is a long one to humans, but not to God.