Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheists have no morals ?

inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:07:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Or do they. And if so, then where does it come from ? Humans have a precious gift the faculty of conscience. As a result, people of every nation and tribe, and every era, have codes of conduct with much in common, (Romans 2:14,15)
The conscience, however, is not and infallible guide. It can be influenced by exposure to false religion, human philosophies, prejudices, and carnal desires.
(Jeremiah 17:9, Colossians 2:8) Hence, just as a pilot may need to calibrate his navigational instruments, we need to check and when necessary, adjust our moral and spiritual compass according to the Almighty God. Unlike human standards of conduct, which can change from one generation to the next, God's perfect standards are infinite. He said, I am Jehovah, I have not changed. Malachi 3:6

So is this human characteristic instinct ?
Humans, are the crown achievement of God's creation, and are not governed primarily by instinct. Instead we are free moral agents with a conscience and the capacity for love. Genesis 1:27. As a result of all these gifts, we can make moral decisions that sometimes reflect extraordinary love and self sacrifice. This also includes Atheists. A persons attitude and behavior are largely a product of the moral percepts and spiritual tenets that he/she was taught from infancy. This is guidance that surpassed instinct.
Atheists have to understand that they are under the influence of this supernatural influence. They are not exempt, but will never give credit to a Being exterior.
What do you think ?
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:44:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why add to the war between believers and atheists, Inferno? Are you willing to drive a rift into the DDO community just for some sensation? Are you that void of consideration? thought? prescience?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:47:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:44:28 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Why add to the war between believers and atheists, Inferno? Are you willing to drive a rift into the DDO community just for some sensation? Are you that void of consideration? thought? prescience?

I am not void of consideration, thought, and prescience. I have yet to meet an Atheist that can override their own fallible logic and transparency. Some claim to not believe in God just because, but they have such a reason for doing so.
It is all evident in their dialogue.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:48:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There's something I notice, just really quickly without getting into an argument. Using a larger range of vocabulary is a tool to express more complex thought. One cannot acquire a large vocabulary, spew verbose diction all over the place, express childish thoughts, and expect himself to look intelligent. It does not work that way. You speak in a dignified manner, I'll give you that, but to no avail, since you use your words to put people down and intentionally make them feel bad.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:49:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:48:25 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something I notice, just really quickly without getting into an argument. Using a larger range of vocabulary is a tool to express more complex thought. One cannot acquire a large vocabulary, spew verbose diction all over the place, express childish thoughts, and expect himself to look intelligent. It does not work that way. You speak in a dignified manner, I'll give you that, but to no avail, since you use your words to put people down and intentionally make them feel bad.

like a glorified internet bully.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:53:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:07:44 AM, inferno wrote:
Or do they. And if so, then where does it come from ? Humans have a precious gift the faculty of conscience. As a result, people of every nation and tribe, and every era, have codes of conduct with much in common, (Romans 2:14,15)
The conscience, however, is not and infallible guide. It can be influenced by exposure to false religion, human philosophies, prejudices, and carnal desires.
(Jeremiah 17:9, Colossians 2:8) Hence, just as a pilot may need to calibrate his navigational instruments, we need to check and when necessary, adjust our moral and spiritual compass according to the Almighty God. Unlike human standards of conduct, which can change from one generation to the next, God's perfect standards are infinite. He said, I am Jehovah, I have not changed. Malachi 3:6

So is this human characteristic instinct ?
Humans, are the crown achievement of God's creation, and are not governed primarily by instinct. Instead we are free moral agents with a conscience and the capacity for love. Genesis 1:27. As a result of all these gifts, we can make moral decisions that sometimes reflect extraordinary love and self sacrifice. This also includes Atheists. A persons attitude and behavior are largely a product of the moral percepts and spiritual tenets that he/she was taught from infancy. This is guidance that surpassed instinct.
Atheists have to understand that they are under the influence of this supernatural influence. They are not exempt, but will never give credit to a Being exterior.
What do you think ?

Funny thing. Man's biologically-related moral sense tends to take the massacre of children (or other perceived unfair actions) as wrong.

Man's moral sense with God in mind is "depending on what I am told, I will massacre these children."

Personally, I'd feel safer with an atheist using his gut intuition over the theist using his line of thought.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:57:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:48:25 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something I notice, just really quickly without getting into an argument. Using a larger range of vocabulary is a tool to express more complex thought. One cannot acquire a large vocabulary, spew verbose diction all over the place, express childish thoughts, and expect himself to look intelligent. It does not work that way. You speak in a dignified manner, I'll give you that, but to no avail, since you use your words to put people down and intentionally make them feel bad.

It is to much avail. It is called abstraction. You have no idea of what that concept evolves around due to your narrow minded and highly selective definition about who and what intellectualism is. You are just more worded if anything, but you do not have any substance with your arguments which is nothing more than secular ideology.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:58:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
We are still biologically the same race, and we still get smacked the same by our parents.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:59:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:53:31 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:07:44 AM, inferno wrote:
Or do they. And if so, then where does it come from ? Humans have a precious gift the faculty of conscience. As a result, people of every nation and tribe, and every era, have codes of conduct with much in common, (Romans 2:14,15)
The conscience, however, is not and infallible guide. It can be influenced by exposure to false religion, human philosophies, prejudices, and carnal desires.
(Jeremiah 17:9, Colossians 2:8) Hence, just as a pilot may need to calibrate his navigational instruments, we need to check and when necessary, adjust our moral and spiritual compass according to the Almighty God. Unlike human standards of conduct, which can change from one generation to the next, God's perfect standards are infinite. He said, I am Jehovah, I have not changed. Malachi 3:6

So is this human characteristic instinct ?
Humans, are the crown achievement of God's creation, and are not governed primarily by instinct. Instead we are free moral agents with a conscience and the capacity for love. Genesis 1:27. As a result of all these gifts, we can make moral decisions that sometimes reflect extraordinary love and self sacrifice. This also includes Atheists. A persons attitude and behavior are largely a product of the moral percepts and spiritual tenets that he/she was taught from infancy. This is guidance that surpassed instinct.
Atheists have to understand that they are under the influence of this supernatural influence. They are not exempt, but will never give credit to a Being exterior.
What do you think ?

Funny thing. Man's biologically-related moral sense tends to take the massacre of children (or other perceived unfair actions) as wrong.

Man's moral sense with God in mind is "depending on what I am told, I will massacre these children."

Personally, I'd feel safer with an atheist using his gut intuition over the theist using his line of thought.

Wnope. You cannot use a misguided and delusional individual as an example for Gods Will. The soul you speak of is not of God. So your argument is diluted like water.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:00:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:57:55 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:48:25 AM, 000ike wrote:
There's something I notice, just really quickly without getting into an argument. Using a larger range of vocabulary is a tool to express more complex thought. One cannot acquire a large vocabulary, spew verbose diction all over the place, express childish thoughts, and expect himself to look intelligent. It does not work that way. You speak in a dignified manner, I'll give you that, but to no avail, since you use your words to put people down and intentionally make them feel bad.

It is to much avail. It is called abstraction. You have no idea of what that concept evolves around due to your narrow minded and highly selective definition about who and what intellectualism is. You are just more worded if anything, but you do not have any substance with your arguments which is nothing more than secular ideology.

No, its called being a jerk. You must not have a lot of friends.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:01:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Inferno<<=====L' uomo secondo che ha una smarrita ragione e non sa che deve fare....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:02:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why is belief in God mandatory, Inferno?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:03:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Actually, I have my own sense of morality, but at the same time, I believe objective morality is a rubbish idea.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:04:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

I can't take much more of. People disregard whatever non sense this man vomits. That is not true Christianity.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:06:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:03:19 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Actually, I have my own sense of morality, but at the same time, I believe objective morality is a rubbish idea.

I am not sure if anyone here holds to objective morality. The few that kid themselves that they do are just confused.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:06:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:04:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.


I can't take much more of. People disregard whatever non sense this man vomits. That is not true Christianity.

Gah, I know, 000ike. But I'm always too patient with these people! Like last night, for instance.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:31:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:04:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.


I can't take much more of. People disregard whatever non sense this man vomits. That is not true Christianity.

I never said that I myself was a Christian. And yes, I do have a lot of friends.
I think you have poor judgement my friend. Which would also explain why you are an Atheist. Enough said.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:32:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:31:31 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:04:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.


I can't take much more of. People disregard whatever non sense this man vomits. That is not true Christianity.

I never said that I myself was a Christian. And yes, I do have a lot of friends.
I think you have poor judgement my friend. Which would also explain why you are an Atheist. Enough said.

You aren't Christian?

So you're going to hell?
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:33:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.

It is all divine. There is no other foundation from which morality has derived.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:33:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:31:31 AM, inferno wrote:

I never said that I myself was a Christian.
Your profile states that you're a Christian. And you did answer one of the questions, about your race and religion, that you were African American and CHRISTIAN...
And yes, I do have a lot of friends.
Not on DDO, it appears....
I think you have poor judgement my friend. Which would also explain why you are an Atheist. Enough said.
That poor judgment might account for why you are an 'interrogating fundamentalist'....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:36:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:33:00 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.

It is all divine. There is no other foundation from which morality has derived.

Actually, our intuitive moral sense is biologically built into our brains. http://theness.com...

No divine assembly required. Try again.
inferno
Posts: 10,628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:54:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:33:45 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:31:31 AM, inferno wrote:

I never said that I myself was a Christian.
Your profile states that you're a Christian. And you did answer one of the questions, about your race and religion, that you were African American and CHRISTIAN...
And yes, I do have a lot of friends.
Not on DDO, it appears....
I think you have poor judgement my friend. Which would also explain why you are an Atheist. Enough said.
That poor judgment might account for why you are an 'interrogating fundamentalist'....

Man Is Good. Once again, you have been molested by your own dysfunctional and overly logical mind. I am affiliated with the Christian religion. I never proclaimed to be one ever in my lifetime. I am African American, that is true. DDO is no where near being the standard in any major social measuring stick. Perhaps you spend way too much time here begging people to be friends with you. If you know what I mean.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:02:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:54:28 AM, inferno wrote:

Man Is Good. Once again, you have been molested by your own dysfunctional and overly logical mind.
Your terminology has been upgraded to a level of productivity....as it appears to be...

I am affiliated with the Christian religion.
Yes, though you do not adhere to the most basic of Christian tenets....

I never proclaimed to be one ever in my lifetime. I am African American, that is true. DDO is no where near being the standard in any major social measuring stick.
It isn't, but that doesn't give you the excuse to do this...

Perhaps you spend way too much time here begging people to be friends with you. If you know what I mean.
Another exercise in ad hom statements...your skill in them is being multiplied exponentially...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:04:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:33:00 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.

It is all divine. There is no other foundation from which morality has derived.

That is not much of a rebuttal is it.

If human morality had a divine foundation we might expect to be able to ascertain moral facts... but we can't.

Also can you account for the fact that animals display morality?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:06:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:36:58 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:33:00 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.

It is all divine. There is no other foundation from which morality has derived.

Actually, our intuitive moral sense is biologically built into our brains. http://theness.com...

Err....that doesn't necessarily imply anything about the ontological grounding of motality unless one is a subjectivist or constructivist or what have you.

No divine assembly required. Try again.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:10:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 12:06:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:36:58 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:33:00 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:05:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:01:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:59:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:42:00 AM, inferno wrote:
ATHEISTS claim to have morals, but the foundation from which it is birthed is divine. I doubt that they can refute this wholeheartedly.

I can.

Cerebal. Your moral compass is under divine influence whether you are aware of this or not. You do obey the basic fundamentals of His Word indirectly and unconsciously. You cannot escape the influence of God because you are His creation.
He is omnipotent.

By extension we can infer from your statement that everyone's moral compass is under divine guidance... yet all our moralities are divergent and often at odds with each other.

What better explains this... or yea... the idea that morality is the product of evolution and psychology.

It is all divine. There is no other foundation from which morality has derived.

Actually, our intuitive moral sense is biologically built into our brains. http://theness.com...

Err....that doesn't necessarily imply anything about the ontological grounding of motality unless one is a subjectivist or constructivist or what have you.

No divine assembly required. Try again.

I never said it provides a defense for objective morality.

This is just the reality of how our minds work. Even a self-proclaimed (non-psychopathic) nihilist has these gut reactions.

A vast majority of humans have system of crime and punishment worked out in their own heads. They may violate their own system occasionally (stealing from a store, getting into a fight, etc) but when they do they have a feeling of remorse and possibly self-disgust/self-hatred intertwined with whatever release the behavior gives them.