Jump to topic:

Religious Facebook Posts

tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 3:22:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have many friends who, on Facebook, will once or twice a week post scripture, usually segments pertaining to things going on in their lives or, somewhat less frequently, how people "ought to" belive in Jesus. Now when they post those quotes, it doesn't annoy me outright, however I get kind of a back-of-my-mind irrational irritation. It's probably due to my argumentative nature (on a debate site??? Nooooo) wanting to have a debate when it's unwanted and will ultimately be unproductive. Does anyone else get irritated at all when they see people they know on Facebook/Twitter posting scripture? Just curious.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 4:58:08 AM
I think one good turn deserves another, why not post your own bible verses ? I'll get you started.

"David and his men went out and killed two hundred Philistines. He brought their foreskins and presented the full number to the king so that he might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage."

1 Samuel 18:27
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 5:33:43 AM
That can't be a nice job... cutting foreskins from the dead.

Anyhoo... no I never see this.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:16:03 AM
At 8/16/2011 4:58:08 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I think one good turn deserves another, why not post your own bible verses ? I'll get you started.

"David and his men went out and killed two hundred Philistines. He brought their foreskins and presented the full number to the king so that he might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage."

Add to arsenal:

"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ."
Ephesians 6:5

‎"Women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says."
1 Corinthians 14:34

"So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. And most fortunate of all are those who were never born."
Ecclesiastes 4:2-3a
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:23:05 AM
Does anyone else get irritated at all when they see people they know on Facebook/Twitter posting scripture? Just curious.:

Wow, this post is kind of creepy because I was literally thinking this very thing about five minutes ago. The Lord works in mysterious ways!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:23:27 AM
More frustratingly, I hate that I feel compelled to censor myself on my own Facebook page to spare the feelings/ avoid controversy with my theist friends and acquaintances. For some reason professing belief in God isn't offensive while professing a lack of belief is. So annoying.
President of DDO
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:26:06 AM
At 8/16/2011 10:16:03 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 8/16/2011 4:58:08 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Add to arsenal:

"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ."
Ephesians 6:5

‎"Women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says."
1 Corinthians 14:34

"So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. And most fortunate of all are those who were never born."
Ecclesiastes 4:2-3a

Can I ask what your view on biblical inspiration is? Do you reject Paul, or?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:29:03 AM
Can I ask what your view on biblical inspiration is?:

Yeah, it's uninspiring. :)

Anyway, he's making a philosophical point while being jocular.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:41:24 AM
At 8/16/2011 3:22:50 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I have many friends who, on Facebook, will once or twice a week post scripture, usually segments pertaining to things going on in their lives or, somewhat less frequently, how people "ought to" belive in Jesus. Now when they post those quotes, it doesn't annoy me outright, however I get kind of a back-of-my-mind irrational irritation. It's probably due to my argumentative nature (on a debate site??? Nooooo) wanting to have a debate when it's unwanted and will ultimately be unproductive. Does anyone else get irritated at all when they see people they know on Facebook/Twitter posting scripture? Just curious.

It's not just religious verses. It's any bit of homespun philosophy, like "Plant more trees", or "Just do your bit" and assorted such sayings that get me wanting to tear my hair out :)

I literally have to calm myself down. Man, I wonder if there's something wrong with me!
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:44:59 AM

There's something called an "unfriend" button.

I had a friend that decided that every day he was going to post how many days left until his wedding, starting at something like 250 days. Every damn day it was "243 days until the big day!" "242 days left" "241 more days until we tie the knot." "240 days..."

At about 220 days, I defriended and low and behold, the problem went away.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:46:36 AM
I have some animal rights person on mine... ooh sign this e-petition to ban animals from circuses... seriously?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:39:59 AM
At 8/16/2011 10:44:59 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

There's something called an "unfriend" button.

I had a friend that decided that every day he was going to post how many days left until his wedding, starting at something like 250 days. Every damn day it was "243 days until the big day!" "242 days left" "241 more days until we tie the knot." "240 days..."

At about 220 days, I defriended and low and behold, the problem went away.

As I said it doesn't annoy me enough to warrant a "defriend", it's just a little irritation. What does become a problem however, is when people post non-biblical quotes that are riddled with fallacies like the fake stories that are supposed to be inspirational, such as the generic angry atheist philosophy prof. that gets in an argument with his students until a christian student finally shows him that god exists. I actually had a guy defriend me because I corrected this story http://www.snopes.com....
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:51:17 AM

YES. I mean, many of my fiends are religious--and while they don't post scripture directly, they tend to post things that are more worship-y. If that makes any sense.

On top of this, I tend to not want to post statuses about my atheism. Is it wrong that I can't post atheistic posts but theistic posts are fine?

That's a serious question that I'm posing. Any thoughts?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:57:26 AM
At 8/16/2011 11:51:17 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

YES. I mean, many of my fiends are religious--and while they don't post scripture directly, they tend to post things that are more worship-y. If that makes any sense.

On top of this, I tend to not want to post statuses about my atheism. Is it wrong that I can't post atheistic posts but theistic posts are fine?

This may annoy some people, but I am not offended by theistic posts, why would I be? But I respect that theists may be offended by atheistic posts. I guess I rather patronisingly regard them as children I don't want to offend. On a religious forum I have no issue, they are walking into the lion's den.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:03:00 PM
At 8/16/2011 11:57:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

This may annoy some people, but I am not offended by theistic posts, why would I be? But I respect that theists may be offended by atheistic posts. I guess I rather patronisingly regard them as children I don't want to offend. On a religious forum I have no issue, they are walking into the lion's den.

I'm not OFFENDED by the posts, but I'm annoyed that there's a double standard.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:06:44 PM
At 8/16/2011 12:03:00 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/16/2011 11:57:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I'm not OFFENDED by the posts, but I'm annoyed that there's a double standard.

Yea, I can see that.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:06:52 PM

The problem is that, unless you're an anti-theist, I can't think of atheist posts that would be terribly interesting. "I don't have a compelling reason to believe in god, so I don't." It just doesn't make for an interesting read.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:25:39 PM
At 8/16/2011 12:06:52 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:

The problem is that, unless you're an anti-theist, I can't think of atheist posts that would be terribly interesting. "I don't have a compelling reason to believe in god, so I don't." It just doesn't make for an interesting read.

And that's the thing. I'm not an anti-theist. I'm an ag atheist. And yet some f my Christian friends took this as a personal affront. I actually posted the story of my atheism because nobody knew my religious beliefs (I deleted it so I don't have a link or copy/paste) and it basically amounted to that I was raised a Christian, but, as I explored the religion more, it seemed unrealistic, hypocritical, etc, and eroded my faith a good bit. And then I went to a nursing home/hospice to see my terminally ill grandfather. I saw all that suffering, and my father (who still is a theist) prayed and prayed for his life, but 2 days later my grandfather died. That was what really sealed the deal--that so many people suffer, and so many pray, yet their prayers are rarely answered. Of course, know the Problem of Evil can be responded to, but that was really just what sunk the idea that there really isn't enough evidence for a God.

However, several friends didn't like that. They told me that if I didn't like something I should shut up and not say anything, and one even asserted that I was hellbound if I don't repent. "Strangely" enough that was the same person ho would call me a "heathen f@g who would burn in Hell," when I came out as bisexual the next year.

Does that help your understanding at all to what I'm saying?

tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 2:20:59 PM
At 8/16/2011 12:25:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/16/2011 12:06:52 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:

And that's the thing. I'm not an anti-theist. I'm an ag atheist. And yet some f my Christian friends took this as a personal affront. I actually posted the story of my atheism because nobody knew my religious beliefs (I deleted it so I don't have a link or copy/paste) and it basically amounted to that I was raised a Christian, but, as I explored the religion more, it seemed unrealistic, hypocritical, etc, and eroded my faith a good bit. And then I went to a nursing home/hospice to see my terminally ill grandfather. I saw all that suffering, and my father (who still is a theist) prayed and prayed for his life, but 2 days later my grandfather died. That was what really sealed the deal--that so many people suffer, and so many pray, yet their prayers are rarely answered. Of course, know the Problem of Evil can be responded to, but that was really just what sunk the idea that there really isn't enough evidence for a God.

However, several friends didn't like that. They told me that if I didn't like something I should shut up and not say anything, and one even asserted that I was hellbound if I don't repent. "Strangely" enough that was the same person ho would call me a "heathen f@g who would burn in Hell," when I came out as bisexual the next year.

Does that help your understanding at all to what I'm saying?

I was never confused about what you were trying to say. I'm just making a seperate point that I can't think of really interesting and gripping things for atheists to post on facebook. I don't know a lot of people that go on Facebook for intellectually stimulating discussions, so while scripture sounds poetic and inspiring (mostly on the surface), a pecture about reasoning and logical processes doesn't really grab peoples' attention.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 2:46:57 PM
At 8/16/2011 10:23:27 AM, Danielle wrote:
More frustratingly, I hate that I feel compelled to censor myself on my own Facebook page to spare the feelings/ avoid controversy with my theist friends and acquaintances. For some reason professing belief in God isn't offensive while professing a lack of belief is. So annoying.

This.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 5:34:33 PM
@tornshoe92

There are many Atheistic quotes that are poetic and interesting to read.

"Better than worshiping gods is obedience to the laws of righteousness."
-- the Budda

"I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil, nor do I serve any."
-- Lao Tzu

"Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality, thrilling!"
-- Richard Dawkins
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 6:38:36 PM

Do you also censor yourself to spare the feelings for other things? Like political differences? Not make some post about Obama because you don't want to upset any democrat friends, or not make any posts about Palin because you don't want to upset any republican friends? Just wondering if you're only tip toeing through the theist tulips or through all the tulips.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 8:24:01 PM
At 8/16/2011 6:38:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Do you also censor yourself to spare the feelings for other things? Like political differences? Not make some post about Obama because you don't want to upset any democrat friends, or not make any posts about Palin because you don't want to upset any republican friends? Just wondering if you're only tip toeing through the theist tulips or through all the tulips.

I think religious issues are much more sensitive for people than political ones. For example, I may be more inclined to bash Obama or prop up Ron Paul than I would to say some Atheist point of view. One, I can almost be certain that the majority of people believe in God/Christianity whereas political views are more variant and two, most would take one to heart more than the other.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:54:12 PM

I actually got into a huge argument about this with my mom and cousin. I am an anti-theist so i tend to post a lot about my non-belief (thats actually one of the reasons i joined this site, better here than there) And one day my cousin posted something about God. And immediately following that i posted a Hitchens quote (I am currently reading "God is not Great" it wasn't on purpose that i posted right after) And she got upset with me... she said "Oh, your starting early... on a Sunday too GREAT!" which made me laugh... but the idea of it. You can post about God... but i cannot post a freaking QUOTE from someone?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:16:38 PM
At 8/16/2011 10:23:05 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Does anyone else get irritated at all when they see people they know on Facebook/Twitter posting scripture? Just curious.:

Wow, this post is kind of creepy because I was literally thinking this very thing about five minutes ago. The Lord works in mysterious ways!

Oh right, believe in God when it suits you then, *sigh*.