Jump to topic:

Let's Say You're Wrong - Atheists

knick-knack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:41:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A complete hypothetical scenario to Atheists.

You die.
You appear in the clouds and step in a line leading up to the gates of heaven waiting to see if you get in. While in this massive line of the formerly living you have time to ponder about your life and the decisions you made.

What would you be thinking at this time?
Would you regret the life you lived?
Are you scared? Excited? Indifferent?
Wishing you new a clean joke to tell Saint Peter?

Your thoughts...
John Hancock
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:50:08 PM
At 8/16/2011 10:41:10 PM, knick-knack wrote:

You die.
You appear in the clouds and step in a line leading up to the gates of heaven waiting to see if you get in. While in this massive line of the formerly living you have time to ponder about your life and the decisions you made.

Your thoughts...

First of all Knew* not new

Second, i would be indifferent... there would have been nothing i could have done to please the God of the Christian bible... Assuming that is who's heaven i am in. I would also be very excited to walk up to the gate and find out my fate. Because i have lived a very wonderful life (in my opinion) and i haven't really done anything too wrong. I would be curious to know if God is really the hateful bastard the bible portrays him as.
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:51:11 PM
At 8/16/2011 10:44:33 PM, izbo10 wrote:
This is pathetic pascal wants his wager back. It is so far debunked you couldn't have even studied argumentation for religion if you try this stupidity.

Don't be such an ahole dude, its a hypothetical situation, answer it or don't....
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:00:26 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...

I would start swearing fluently, first at most of the philosophers I had read and then at God for not having a better argument I could find.

Waiting in line would be really anticlimactic since I know what the answer will be.

Also, deep down, I'd kinda hope that one of the really, really remote religions, like Zorastrianism, was the real religion.
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:08:09 PM
What do you think would happen if you ran? And would you be able to run? Or would it be like a cartoon where you ran out of one side of the screen and poped up on the other side.... i would probably test physics out while standing in line (would there even be a line?)... assuming the physics is the same as earth, would you be able to feel pain? would you be able to die... i would totally want to chew my own arm off or something... Thinking about this is making me want to do a video on an Atheist waiting in line to speak with St. Peter. Sh*t would be hilarious.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:19:31 PM
Pascals wager is invalid.

C1: PW Doesn't give proof god exists.
C2: It doesn't say which god exists. What if you accept PW and realise you worshiped the wrong god all your life....UHOH!
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:47:12 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...

I don't think I would have anything tough or smart-arse to say to Peter. I think I would totally crap my pants. My ghost pants? I would ghost-crap my ghost pants? Well, anyway, I would be scared.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:54:12 PM
At 8/16/2011 11:19:31 PM, kohai wrote:

C2: It doesn't say which god exists. What if you accept PW and realise you worshiped the wrong god all your life....UHOH!

This isn't pascals wager. Calm down, bro.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:47:24 AM

You die.

Aw sh*t.

You appear in the clouds and step in a line leading up to the gates of heaven waiting to see if you get in.

Eternal happiness is overrated. A life without ups and downs is an imperfect perfection.

While in this massive line of the formerly living you have time to ponder about your life and the decisions you made.

Shouldn't have texted while at a gas pump.

Oops. I guess those coots were right.

I don't know. I'm pretty happy right now.

Bored.

Oh yes.

Your thoughts...

Enigmatic
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:03:35 AM

You die.

This is nice.

I regret it now.

Excited and relieved.

Nah... one about a paedo-priest should be just fine.

Your thoughts...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:09:36 AM
I seriously doubt anyone will be thinking of Pascal's Wager at the time of death.

I have been with a couple people while they were dying, and some were at peace and some were not, but none were intellectualizing their situation.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:14:44 AM
I'd be asking around to see what the hell kind of cloudy place this is, as the scenario as written doesn't tell me if I'm having a drug trip or about to meet Allah or about to choose whether to have tea today with the Invisible Pink Unicorn or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:22:48 AM
At 8/17/2011 3:09:36 AM, innomen wrote:
I seriously doubt anyone will be thinking of Pascal's Wager at the time of death.

I have been with a couple people while they were dying, and some were at peace and some were not, but none were intellectualizing their situation.

Great point.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:57:30 AM

I can bet you the people here on DDO will definitely be intellectualizing their death situation, lol. Just think of Ragnar_Rahl or Cody_Franklin
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:12:10 AM

You die.

Well I suppose that could happen.

This is all terribly anthropomorphic.

I'd probably try to convert on the way down.

I haven't lived it yet, I don't know how it'll turn out.

Can I even feel this stuff without a physical body?

Wishing you knew a clean joke to tell Saint Peter?

Uh, yes?

Your thoughts...

As cliched as it is, probably: "this is bull, the evidence should've been better."
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 9:29:42 AM

These guys intellectualize everything, Innomen, you know that. But that's just a function of their age.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 9:36:58 AM
At any rate, the OP is completely invalid, for reasons pretty much already given. There is no proof, excuse me, no evidence at all to support Christian metaphysical beliefs, so this hypothetical is one of an infinite number of them that could be posed, thus cancelling themselves out. It's logical to believe that the entirety of our actions do not become moot at the instant of our death, however. Just how that works itself out, however, is unclear.
Rob
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:18:29 AM

You die.

I would be singing one of the hymns I heard in church.
Yes and no.
How many emotions does a soul get? But yes, I'll be excited, if heaven was real
and the foundations of it were substantial.
No. I'll just be humble and modest before him instead.

Your thoughts...
What is the purpose of this thread? And to god, I will ask, 'What is the meaning of life? Why did you not construct a better argument for yourself? Are you a perfect deity? Is this a real experience or just near death experience?' and the list goes on.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:04:59 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...

Every atheist would be petrified to death. Knowing they will go to hell forever. And even with that knowledge, they would still attempt to unreasonably persuade with Jesus Christ to get into heaven. But instead they will fail at that, and rightly so, they will to taken away by a angel much larger in stature and in strength than them, and then they would be thrown into a portal, into another dimension that will never be open again, forever.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:07:51 PM
Oh and also, there wouldn't be such a thing as an atheist at this point in history. They would all believe in Jesus Christ, just too late. Since we are saved by faith and that alone, how then when they are in a situation were faith is not needed can they be saved?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:22:46 PM
At 8/17/2011 3:04:59 PM, GodSands wrote:

You die.

Your thoughts...

Every atheist would be petrified to death. Knowing they will go to hell forever. And even with that knowledge, they would still attempt to unreasonably persuade with Jesus Christ to get into heaven. But instead they will fail at that, and rightly so, they will to taken away by a angel much larger in stature and in strength than them, and then they would be thrown into a portal, into another dimension that will never be open again, forever.

I'd rather be in hell with the sex, drugs, and rock n roll rather than heaven worshiping a dictator for eternity on my knees and singing hymns of praise all the time.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:28:01 PM
At 8/16/2011 11:19:31 PM, kohai wrote:

PW doesn't attempt to prove God exists, so your strawman is a fail.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:31:07 PM
At 8/17/2011 3:22:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You die.

Your thoughts...

I'd rather be in hell with the sex, drugs, and rock n roll rather than heaven worshiping a dictator for eternity on my knees and singing hymns of praise all the time.

I doubt the devil is giving out sex drugs and rock and roll, because if he was, he'd be openly marketing that in the real world.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:44:51 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...

Statements like that just show how much ones knows about Christianity, you enjoy your sex, drugs, and rock n roll.

Heaven won't be about singing and praising the way you are presenting it. Your very being in heaven will glorify God, everything you do and think will glorify God. It won't be like church, because church today, for the most part is not of God. For starters, Jesus Christ said we will be like His resurrected form in heaven, and you know what things He was able to do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:02:09 PM
At 8/17/2011 3:31:07 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You die.

Your thoughts...

I doubt the devil is giving out sex drugs and rock and roll, because if he was, he'd be openly marketing that in the real world.

He is. See Satanism. Plus, even the Christians call rock n roll Satanic and look at what the rock stars do. Sex and drugs. Rock n roll artists are preaching Satans gospel. Just read their lyrics. See Slayer, Iron Maiden, etc.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:46:24 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...:

A hypothetical scenario like this is useless because we know nothing of heaven except that it's allegedly awesome. So how I would respond would have everything to do with the way it really is. And as of now, we don't even know if it exists so, next.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:56:20 PM

I was thinking that this whole premise smelled of Pascal's wager. While it does bring up a good point it is flawed.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:52:54 PM

You die.

Your thoughts...

You are so full of sh*t its astounding. How can you sit here, and first of all, tell me how i feel. And definitely don't tell me what is going to happen while I'm hypothetically standing in heaven speaking to Jesus. You're so fu*king ridiculous to claim to know that an angel is going to take me away, throw me into a portal (WHAT?!) and into another dimension (REALLY DUDE?) and that he is going to be much larger AND stronger than i am. YOU CANT KNOW THAT DON'T SELL THAT AS TRUTH! And DO NOT tell me how i will feel... you don't know anything about me... or any other atheists for that matter.

This is the kind of ignorance i fight against every day. Your the type of person i WISH didn't exist. You tell children these stories selling it as fact and they believe you, because it is a great story... and you succeeded in scaring them (What child wants to burn every day for eternity). Don't sell that bullsh*t here, we are not children and we do not believe you, nor will we unless you show us some proof. Hell i bet there's even some Christians in here that think your out of your mind.

I apologize for that rant... but it had to be said... People like this are why i am an anti-theist. They are what pushed me away from God in the first place. They drive me nuts...