Jump to topic:

Let's Say You're Wrong- Christians V.2

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:07:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Knick-Knack's example was a little too light.

Let's say you're on your death bed, and you are bathed in a warm light, and you raise your eyes heavenward expecting to see the Lord spirit you away for living a great life.

And in turn, you see another deity, who explains to you that you've been worshiping the wrong god your entire life.

You're going to be sent to that religion's version of hell.

Thoughts?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:28:53 AM
As a non-religious person: hell is where all the most interesting people are anyway. I'd rather play poker with Stephen Hawking, Hitler and Ghandi in a fiery pit than worship God with Aquinas, Teresa and Benedict on cloud nine.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 10:36:31 AM
At 8/18/2011 7:07:48 AM, Kleptin wrote:

Let's say you're on your death bed, and you are bathed in a warm light, and you raise your eyes heavenward expecting to see the Lord spirit you away for living a great life.

And in turn, you see another deity, who explains to you that you've been worshiping the wrong god your entire life.

Thoughts?

I would be thinking, God is evil!!!
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 11:00:43 AM

Thoughts?

I would say to god."Hey I gave it my best shot. I looked for you. asked you for guidance. and this is where I ended up what more could I do?"
And if I really did try my best, god would say good ans. bask in eternal bliss for eternity, for you gave it your best shot.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 11:05:20 AM
At 8/18/2011 11:00:43 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
I would say to god."Hey I gave it my best shot. I looked for you. asked you for guidance. and this is where I ended up what more could I do?"
And if I really did try my best, god would say good ans. bask in eternal bliss for eternity, for you gave it your best shot.

That's assuming that the real God gives a sh!t.
President of DDO
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 11:11:39 AM
At 8/18/2011 7:28:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
As a non-religious person: hell is where all the most interesting people are anyway. I'd rather play poker with Stephen Hawking, Hitler and Ghandi in a fiery pit than worship God with Aquinas, Teresa and Benedict on cloud nine.

If you are allowed to play poker, it wouldn't be hell, would it?

Also, in heaven, there's no need to worship God. That part is already done, remember?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 11:43:59 AM

Thoughts?

You make a really good case against BLIND faith. I am a real proponent of KNOWING rather than blindly believing. I believe the true test should be Elijah's test:
"... the God that answereth by fire, let him be God..." (1 Kings 18:24)
In other words if there is a God, then let Him be the One who responds in a supranatural fashion. Faith should be grounded in a supernatural encounter, not in a blind following of tradition. If one prays to one deity that never responds; but, prays to another and gets a response that cannot be attributed to anything other than a true supernatural intervention from the God he is praying to, then one should follow the God who answers! I seriously doubt that a God who shows an impotence in Earth will be waiting to destroy those who chose a God who answers prayer over a God who does not.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 12:10:29 PM
At 8/18/2011 11:43:59 AM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:

Thoughts?

You make a really good case against BLIND faith. I am a real proponent of KNOWING rather than blindly believing. I believe the true test should be Elijah's test:
In other words if there is a God, then let Him be the One who responds in a supranatural fashion. Faith should be grounded in a supernatural encounter, not in a blind following of tradition. If one prays to one deity that never responds; but, prays to another and gets a response that cannot be attributed to anything other than a true supernatural intervention from the God he is praying to, then one should follow the God who answers! I seriously doubt that a God who shows an impotence in Earth will be waiting to destroy those who chose a God who answers prayer over a God who does not.

So, any supernatural encouters to speak of?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 1:23:46 PM
At 8/18/2011 11:11:39 AM, Indophile wrote:

Also, in heaven, there's no need to worship God. That part is already done, remember?

Why not? Hell is Satans home, I'm sure he doesn't want to have a boring and treacherous environment, he probably keeps it pretty nice down there and would treat those who join him in his rebellion against God with some hospitality.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 1:30:25 PM

Thoughts?

"ah fiddle sticks."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 1:31:53 PM

depends on what hand you kept getting.

what happens if, while in heaven, you bad mouth god or any of the other members?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 1:44:40 PM
At 8/18/2011 1:31:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

depends on what hand you kept getting.

Wouldn't you prefer getting bad hands at poker than getting your hands boiled? :)

what happens if, while in heaven, you bad mouth god or any of the other members?

Nothing. You are in heaven. You can do whatever you want.
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 1:45:59 PM
At 8/18/2011 1:23:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Why not? Hell is Satans home, I'm sure he doesn't want to have a boring and treacherous environment, he probably keeps it pretty nice down there and would treat those who join him in his rebellion against God with some hospitality.

You mean Satan keeps his word? You can trust him?
And it will be true.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:27:05 PM

Thoughts?

That's a very dangerous mentality for there are many spirits who would love to be looked at as a God. You might be playing with fire there my friend, just a friendly warning. Just because a spirit answers you or does something that you feel is supernatural, that does not mean that it is a God, the God, or that it should be worshiped in any way. Any spirit that wants or demands to be worshiped is a negative spirit that desires it's ego to be stroked with attention and to be served by it's slave worshipers. I advise to not feed such spirits with your energy.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:03:12 PM

Thoughts?

I would say to this god, "You are unjust, allowing those who worship you into your heaven, allowing those who haven't been made right into heaven by faith alone, but instead you have not satisfied the law and you are not angry at the wicked neither are you loving, for you do not judge right. For if you are perfectly moral, you would hate immoral men in your presents, for if you love something you hate what opposes that thing you love. Yet you invite men who love wickedness into your presence, yet if you are holy and good, you hate the wicked, for light and darkness cannot share, yet you, who are unjust show no justice, but instead you deprive it and settle for religious men who attempt to make themselves presentable, as if they themselves are like you, just worse. Where is your wrath, where is your love, and where is your justice and righteousness? Since you allow wicked, religious men into your heaven, they are justified by themselves, like a man attempting to sow on his broken arm, useless, and unable to function, yet you see not to his heart and by into his trickery, believing he is without sin because he put on a show, fooling you blindly. You are a dummy god, for man is wicked, and you have allowed him into heaven because of his deeds, which buy only favors, and yet, he is allowed eternal life instead of hell for being slightly better than other people? For you are like man, just better, no different in terms of moral fibre. Those who believed in you get into your heaven, yet they only believed in you to get into heaven, everyone wants to go to heaven, but by their efforts they followed a few laws and did this and that, whereas I, I believed in another, Jesus Christ who paid for my sin in full, and I was seen right in God's eyes, yet I was not made righteous, but Jesus Christ bore by sin in my place, and the wrath of my God, was poured out of Jesus, and justice was done, and then Christ was Resurrected from the dead, and in that, as I believed in Him, He sent down His spirit to teach me. That my spirit is now seen as His, so when Christ returns or if I die, God would the spirit of Christ, and in that I am justified through the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ - but I guess you are unjust so it doesn't matter to you in any case." I am thrown into hell by a corrupt judge.

I don't know why, if this god is a corrupt judge, he would allow those who believed in him into heaven either. Corrupt is corrupt, anything goes. A corrupt judge might make a righteous judgement on occasion, and every other time, the judge makes corrupt judgements, yet he is still corrupt, as it only takes one corrupt judgement, not 10 or 100, just one. So perhaps a few of this god's followers would also go to hell, this god wouldn't care, he's unjust.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:25:08 PM
At 8/18/2011 7:03:12 PM, GodSands wrote:

Thoughts?

I would say to this god, "You are unjust, allowing those who worship you into your heaven, allowing those who haven't been made right into heaven by faith alone, but instead you have not satisfied the law and you are not angry at the wicked neither are you loving, for you do not judge right. For if you are perfectly moral, you would hate immoral men in your presents, for if you love something you hate what opposes that thing you love. Yet you invite men who love wickedness into your presence, yet if you are holy and good, you hate the wicked, for light and darkness cannot share, yet you, who are unjust show no justice, but instead you deprive it and settle for religious men who attempt to make themselves presentable, as if they themselves are like you, just worse. Where is your wrath, where is your love, and where is your justice and righteousness? Since you allow wicked, religious men into your heaven, they are justified by themselves, like a man attempting to sow on his broken arm, useless, and unable to function, yet you see not to his heart and by into his trickery, believing he is without sin because he put on a show, fooling you blindly. You are a dummy god, for man is wicked, and you have allowed him into heaven because of his deeds, which buy only favors, and yet, he is allowed eternal life instead of hell for being slightly better than other people? For you are like man, just better, no different in terms of moral fibre. Those who believed in you get into your heaven, yet they only believed in you to get into heaven, everyone wants to go to heaven, but by their efforts they followed a few laws and did this and that, whereas I, I believed in another, Jesus Christ who paid for my sin in full, and I was seen right in God's eyes, yet I was not made righteous, but Jesus Christ bore by sin in my place, and the wrath of my God, was poured out of Jesus, and justice was done, and then Christ was Resurrected from the dead, and in that, as I believed in Him, He sent down His spirit to teach me. That my spirit is now seen as His, so when Christ returns or if I die, God would the spirit of Christ, and in that I am justified through the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ - but I guess you are unjust so it doesn't matter to you in any case." I am thrown into hell by a corrupt judge.

I don't know why, if this god is a corrupt judge, he would allow those who believed in him into heaven either. Corrupt is corrupt, anything goes. A corrupt judge might make a righteous judgement on occasion, and every other time, the judge makes corrupt judgements, yet he is still corrupt, as it only takes one corrupt judgement, not 10 or 100, just one. So perhaps a few of this god's followers would also go to hell, this god wouldn't care, he's unjust.

Anybody who is truly spiritual and lives through positive energy will see the blatantly obvious flaws with this kind of spiritual mentality. The rest of the post is filled with false accusations and unjustified bias in the face of the situation presented.

Just for the record. Their is nothing moral, justified, or righteous about hating. Hating is a dark negative energy in itself and it turns you into the very thing that you previously opposed.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:29:22 PM
Wouldn't be a religion thread without the Christian ramblings of Godsands and Tiel's equally amusing new age input.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 8:15:43 PM
At 8/18/2011 7:29:22 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Wouldn't be a religion thread without the Christian ramblings of Godsands and Tiel's equally amusing new age input.

That is true to a degree.

Though my beliefs aren't just based on New Age thinking. My beliefs include information from Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Hermeticism, and New Age thinking.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 8:31:51 PM
@Tiel - To hate is to love. If I hate abortion, I would love children, how can I hate abortion and children if abortion kills the subject of children? And how could I love something without hating the thing that deprives the thing I love? For I only love something because there is an opposing side to what I love. I could not love my family if I didn't hate to not have my family. What sense would it make if I loved both death and life, abortion and children, slavery and freedom, sin and righteousness? Your New Age crap makes no sense in the least, at least not your version of it.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 8:35:41 PM
At 8/18/2011 7:29:22 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:

It sure is rambling to a religious person, that is, just like it is rambling to you, it is rambling to the religious. Of course, otherwise I wouldn't be arguing against a religious god.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 9:43:26 PM
At 8/18/2011 8:31:51 PM, GodSands wrote:
@Tiel - To hate is to love. If I hate abortion, I would love children, how can I hate abortion and children if abortion kills the subject of children? And how could I love something without hating the thing that deprives the thing I love? For I only love something because there is an opposing side to what I love. I could not love my family if I didn't hate to not have my family. What sense would it make if I loved both death and life, abortion and children, slavery and freedom, sin and righteousness? Your New Age crap makes no sense in the least, at least not your version of it.

The fact that I have to explain the difference between hate and love is a testament to itself. Yes, love and hate are of the same essence but differ widely in degree. It is like saying hot is the same thing as cold. It is in the sense of them both being temperature, but they very widely in effect and usage. To hate is to create negative energy. To love is to create positive energy. Hating never solves anything, it only creates more conflict. It is mentality like your's that has spawned endless religious wars throughout the ages. Pushing your justification to hate others, while only creating more hate in the process.

At least I understand the basics. You think life creates love from hate and hate from love, when in actuality life creates hate from hate and love from love.
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:38:05 AM
At 8/18/2011 12:10:29 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

Thoughts?

So, any supernatural encouters to speak of?

I've certainly had enough to let me know. I have also seen enough human betrayal to shake me from religion altogether; but, because my faith was grounded in something real, I remained a believer through those painful times. Now, I wasn't faithful to the moral code during those times; but, I came back. Had I not had those supernatural encounters; I believe I would be an atheist today.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:39:42 AM
At 8/18/2011 1:45:59 PM, Indophile wrote:

In all fairness, if we're going by the bible satan is a far less murderous, scheming arrogant monster that satan is. Geo did an interesting debate where he pointed out that God's kill count in the bible is in the millions, whereas satan's is some ridiculously small number.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:40:38 AM
At 8/19/2011 5:39:42 AM, Kinesis wrote:
In all fairness, if we're going by the bible satan is a far less murderous, scheming arrogant monster than God is. Geo did an interesting debate where he pointed out that God's kill count in the bible is in the millions, whereas satan's is some ridiculously small number.

Fixed.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:02:25 AM
At 8/18/2011 11:00:43 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

Thoughts?

And that's exactly how I would answer the Christian God after I die a non-believer :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:21:51 AM

I know this is a religious thread, but why would Gandhi be in hell?
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:22:43 AM
At 8/19/2011 11:21:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

I know this is a religious thread, but why would Gandhi be in hell?

Assuming you meant Mahatma Gandhi. Otherwise, awkward.
Steve0Yea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 6:35:27 PM

In all fairness, if we're going by the bible satan is a far less murderous, scheming arrogant monster that satan is. Geo did an interesting debate where he pointed out that God's kill count in the bible is in the millions, whereas satan's is some ridiculously small number.

To anyone who hasent seen this Jim Jefferys special watch this segment it applys to this topic. Its amazing. Christians and atheists alike will enjoy this i think.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:21:26 PM
At 8/18/2011 9:43:26 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/18/2011 8:31:51 PM, GodSands wrote:

The fact that I have to explain the difference between hate and love is a testament to itself. Yes, love and hate are of the same essence but differ widely in degree. It is like saying hot is the same thing as cold. It is in the sense of them both being temperature, but they very widely in effect and usage. To hate is to create negative energy. To love is to create positive energy. Hating never solves anything, it only creates more conflict. It is mentality like your's that has spawned endless religious wars throughout the ages. Pushing your justification to hate others, while only creating more hate in the process.

At least I understand the basics. You think life creates love from hate and hate from love, when in actuality life creates hate from hate and love from love.

That is absurd! Hate makes conflict, yes, of course. But so does love, and the hate which I am talking of makes conflict with evil. Not good! For example, I hate Nazi camps, because I love otherwise. I wouldn't love a Nazi camp, for the sake that I am loving something instead of hating something based on the empty claim that hate produces negative energy. Rubbish! Absolute rubbish!
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:04:37 PM
At 8/19/2011 6:35:27 PM, Steve0Yea wrote:

To anyone who hasent seen this Jim Jefferys special watch this segment it applys to this topic. Its amazing. Christians and atheists alike will enjoy this i think.

Seriously, that guy has no understanding in theology, for example; he said that Satan is more of a man by not writing a book about himself. Well of course Satan wouldn't write a book about himself, he doesn't want anyone to know that he exists. Have you not heard of the devil delusion? And also, again, with heaven, walking the streets of heaven would get boring, but heaven is heaven not because of it's streets of gold as the Bible describes, but heaven is heaven because God is there. And heaven or rather knowing God is eternal life (John 17:3) so eternal life does not start when a Christian dies, it starts when you begin know God. And you will be chasing the glory of God for ever, and never will one begin to understand His glory in full, because it is unlimited. There is no pain or suffering, so I haven't a clue what he was talking about when he said I hate to think. And the audience brought into all of his ignorance. Congratulation!