Atheist Parenting

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 2:10:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is to the atheists...

Your young child (pre-puberty) asks you, "what happens when we die?". How do you respond?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 2:29:59 PM
Be careful not to die,it's like being grounded forever. Nothing happens.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 2:41:45 PM
Most children actually don't care, they're too busy playing call of Duty.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 2:58:39 PM
"According Prajnaparamita, 'All things have characteristics of voidness. They neither arise nor perish.' In Samsara, the world of illusions, your body will be cremated and the stream of consciousness continues on. You will not reincarnate, for you have been already reborn repeatedly every moment of your life for all things are transient. That is what happens when you die."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:01:31 PM
At 8/18/2011 2:10:29 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This is to the atheists...

Your young child (pre-puberty) asks you, "what happens when we die?". How do you respond?

"Our spouses collect life insurance and the cops do a quick investigation for any foul play."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:06:49 PM
Sam Harris was just talking about this (I hope I got the right vid; I'm at work).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:10:17 PM
I would just be honest: We don't know. Most likely you become unconscious for eternity which would be no different than what it was like before you were born

There may be some value in honesty, even if it is brutal.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:11:54 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:06:49 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Sam Harris was just talking about this (I hope I got the right vid; I'm at work).

I wonder what gives him the credentials to answer any question people give him.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:20:46 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:11:54 PM, 000ike wrote:

His Wikipedia page lists his credentials. If you read it you could stop wondering.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:22:56 PM
Parent responds, "Your body rots in a casket and eventually the casket rots a few years later then insects plants and other organisms use your body to grow, and if you meant your mind then you will go into an abyss of nothingness, just imagine not existing, you cannot think eat sleep or anything else for that matter!"

Parent smiles at child.

Child responds [1], "Screw that I'm Converting to [insert religion with an afterlife here]"
[2], "Screw that I'm going to live forever!"
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:23:03 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:20:46 PM, vbaculum wrote:

His Wikipedia page lists his credentials. If you read it you could stop wondering.

My wikapeadia page says I have 7 master degrees and was directly involved in the Apollo space program as a technical advisor.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:31:56 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:29:32 PM, Danielle wrote:
"There is only one God, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: not today."

says who?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:33:00 PM
"There is only one God, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: not today."

Actually we say to death, "Sorry, Ore_Ele moved a few years ago to Europe, not sure where though."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:33:57 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:22:56 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Parent responds, "Your body rots in a casket and eventually the casket rots a few years later then insects plants and other organisms use your body to grow, and if you meant your mind then you will go into an abyss of nothingness, just imagine not existing, you cannot think eat sleep or anything else for that matter!"

Parent smiles at child.

Child responds [1], "Screw that I'm Converting to [insert religion with an afterlife here]"

Or [3] Child spends the rest of their life as a depressed nilihist that doesn't see any point in doing anything with life.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:34:11 PM

A game of thrones. You watch/read that? That's my one of my favorite fantasy series.

/derail
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:36:41 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:23:03 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/18/2011 3:20:46 PM, vbaculum wrote:

My wikapeadia page says I have 7 master degrees and was directly involved in the Apollo space program as a technical advisor.

How authoratative are its citation? Does it still exists?

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:36:47 PM
At 8/18/2011 3:33:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Parent smiles at child.

Or [3] Child spends the rest of their life as a depressed nilihist that doesn't see any point in doing anything with life.

I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 3:37:43 PM
I'd say that no one really knows--that some people think you go to a great place, others think that you come back as something/someone else, and others think that nothing happens when you die--kind of like sleep.

I wouldn't state MY view (unless they asked me what I think), because honestly, I don't want to influence TOO much how they'll end up, spiritually speaking.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 4:38:00 PM

Parent smiles at child.

As a parent, you may want to work on your presentation.