Jump to topic:

Arguments for God

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 2:03:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What is your favourite argument for the existence of God?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 2:10:02 AM
God is nature.
God is the connection between all human beings.
God is science.
God is the capacity for human improvement.
God is an alien who has mastered all forms of science.
The list goes on.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 2:15:33 AM
At 8/19/2011 2:10:02 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
God is nature.
God is science.
The list goes on.

I said arguments for God.

As for the second one, I've always liked that as being the definition of the soul, that I don't believe in!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 2:53:05 AM
At 8/19/2011 2:15:33 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
God is nature.
God is science.
The list goes on.

As for the second one, I've always liked that as being the definition of the soul, that I don't believe in!

And now you know why I have only won 3 out of 13 debates.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:22:39 AM
At 8/19/2011 2:53:05 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
God is nature.
God is science.
The list goes on.

and you wonder why I think you are too stupid to vote on my debates.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:57:01 AM
At 8/19/2011 2:03:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
What is your favourite argument for the existence of God?:

God gives the bible authority, and the authority of the bible says there is a God. Circular reasoning 101!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:59:32 AM
At 8/19/2011 8:57:01 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What is your favourite argument for the existence of God?:

God gives the bible authority, and the authority of the bible says there is a God. Circular reasoning 101!!!

I got to love the something can't come from nothing argument. As what did god create everything out of? In christianity that would be nothing. So it disproves their religion and doesn't touch atheism as we can simply say we don't know.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:59:56 AM
At 8/19/2011 8:22:39 AM, izbo10 wrote:

You have an even lower W/L ratio!
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:01:02 AM
At 8/19/2011 8:59:56 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Yes, and I am proud of that as the average voter on here doesn't know what logic is.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:09:18 AM
At 8/19/2011 9:00:47 AM, Kinesis wrote:
The Leibnizian cosmological argument.

Same. Variations of that or thomistic/modal cosmological arguments.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:43:06 AM

I like this one: "I've met Him and know Him personally." That is the sort of evidence used in court and in history - the testimony of witnesses.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:51:22 AM
At 8/19/2011 10:43:06 AM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:

I like this one: "I've met Him and know Him personally." That is the sort of evidence used in court and in history - the testimony of witnesses.

There was one case where a woman claimed that the spirit of David, her guardian angel, the Virgin Mary, Jesus, and God the Father took possession of her hand and helped her write letters. Then there' also the claims that one can see the souls of dead people. Even near death experiences, which often are used to justify the existence of an 'afterlife', might be used to imply the existence of God..
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 12:02:07 PM
At 8/19/2011 2:53:05 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
God is nature.
God is science.
The list goes on.

From the guy who has won 3 out of 16 debates.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:34:36 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:01:02 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/19/2011 8:59:56 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Yes, and I am proud of that as the average voter on here doesn't know what logic is.

http://www.debate.org...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:38:07 PM

The fact that there is beauty in the world and that we are able to experience it.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:38:57 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:38:07 PM, Indophile wrote:

The fact that there is beauty in the world and that we are able to experience it.

No I am being serious.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:40:11 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:38:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

No I am being serious.

I thought you wanted "my" favorite argument :)
And it will be true.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:41:53 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:40:11 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 8/19/2011 1:38:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

No I am being serious.

I thought you wanted "my" favorite argument :)

Hmm... maybe I should have said strongest.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:42:24 PM
any version of a presuppositional argument, usually they go way over the layman's head and any rebuttal is so philosophically deep the average job, or person well above the average debate.org user, can't understand the rebuttal.

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:43:30 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:42:24 PM, izbo10 wrote:
any version of a presuppositional argument, usually they go way over the layman's head and any rebuttal is so philosophically deep the average job, or person well above the average debate.org user, can't understand the rebuttal.

Looks like the emperor's got some new clothes.
And it will be true.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:44:55 PM

Do you actually believe you've met God personally? As in, literally been graced with the presence of God and communicated with her? This is a sincere question.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 1:49:39 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:44:55 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Do you actually believe you've met God personally? As in, literally been graced with the presence of God and communicated with her? This is a sincere question.

do you have any reason to doubt them?!

you think they're crazy or making stuff up do you? o.O

Ha!, next you're prolly gonna say all those witnesses around roswell don't know an alien when they see one!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 3:19:43 PM
The strongest argument, at least for me, is probably the argument for the resurrection of Jesus. I'm willing to take a bit of stick as well in saying maybe the hardest argument to refute (all though it's not persuasive at all) is the ontological argument.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 5:46:25 PM
At 8/19/2011 1:42:24 PM, izbo10 wrote:

If any argument is to be given for Christianity, I also have to say Presuppositionalism (Bahnsen variant) is a good classic. It's so inaccessible to most people that empiricists get completely steamrolled in debates.

The other is the Ontological argument. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it proves God's existence using only the definition of God. It's a delightfully sneaky semantic switch-up.

Most other arguments, especially Aquinas', are mostly pathetic.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:22:14 PM

you also mentioned "strongest" it is also that...

It is "Personal Revelation"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:25:36 AM
At 8/19/2011 3:19:43 PM, unitedandy wrote:
The strongest argument, at least for me, is probably the argument for the resurrection of Jesus. I'm willing to take a bit of stick as well in saying maybe the hardest argument to refute (all though it's not persuasive at all) is the ontological argument.

Seriously? The argument from the resurrection of Jesus is next to worthless, the ontological argument is meaningless.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 5:22:53 AM
At 8/20/2011 2:25:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/19/2011 3:19:43 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Seriously? The argument from the resurrection of Jesus is next to worthless, the ontological argument is meaningless.

The ontological argument is limited in many, many ways, but take something like Plantinga's and it is hard to find problems in it, even if it is not persuasive at all.

The resurrection argument is better than the other arguments I think because of the evidence to support it is largely supported by historians: the empty tomb, the post-mortem appearances, and so forth. I still think there are criticisms to be had, but it seems to me that the case itself, coupled with a lack viable alternatives narrows the criticisms one could make of the argument. I agree however that I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking this.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 5:49:09 AM

He has spoken to me on a number of occasions!
The Cross.. the Cross.