Jump to topic:

Arguments for the Existence of God

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 12:09:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Seems to me that the ontological, cosmological, and teleological arguments for the existence of god are way off base. Obviously wrong. Easy to refute.
As is the moral argument, and any other arguments I can think of, excluding the one about polonium halos, which I don't understand.

So I'm thinking to debate people who think there are good reasons to believe gods exist.

Anybody interested? What argument would you field?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 12:13:41 PM
At 8/21/2011 12:12:30 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
The invisible tea cup argument.

What about the invisible pink unicorn argument as well?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 12:17:46 PM
At 8/21/2011 12:13:41 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/21/2011 12:12:30 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
The invisible tea cup argument.

What about the invisible pink unicorn argument as well?

Same thing.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 7:28:59 PM
At 8/21/2011 12:09:10 PM, wiploc wrote:
Seems to me that the ontological, cosmological, and teleological arguments for the existence of god are way off base. Obviously wrong. Easy to refute.
As is the moral argument, and any other arguments I can think of, excluding the one about polonium halos, which I don't understand.

So I'm thinking to debate people who think there are good reasons to believe gods exist.

Polonium Halos is a YEC smoke and mirrors trick to dissuade those without a relevant background.

http://www.talkorigins.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 11:00:10 PM
God is Actuality. To deny God is to deny existence. Clearly you are experiencing some form of reality. Even the greatest of skeptics, the solipsist must concede that there clearly is.

The only people who deny god are those who don't know what God is. Sadly, most people who believe in God don't understand what God is. If you understand what God is, and then deny it's existence, you are either lying, or VERY mentally ill.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 6:37:40 AM

Relationship by REVELATION: I know Him because He has chosen to reveal Himself to me.
The Cross.. the Cross.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:38:23 PM
At 8/22/2011 6:37:40 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Relationship by REVELATION: I know Him because He has chosen to reveal Himself to me.

By jove, I think Dat has the unbeatable argument for God
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:13:24 PM
At 8/22/2011 12:38:23 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Hmmm...does the word 'hallucination' ring a bell, buddy? Our eyes are not enough to prove god, nor are our five senses.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:17:15 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:13:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Hmmm...does the word 'hallucination' ring a bell, buddy? Our eyes are not enough to prove god, nor are our five senses.

On that same note man_is_good, how can our senses be trusted for anything. How do you know all we see is not just a hallucination?
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:21:17 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:17:15 PM, BennyW wrote:
On that same note man_is_good, how can our senses be trusted for anything. How do you know all we see is not just a hallucination?

The concept of a hallucination is Earth-bound and entirely executed by the human brain. If life is a hallucination, it implies that all parts of life are unreal as well, including the human brain. See where I'm going with this?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:21:31 PM

Hmmm...does the word 'hallucination' ring a bell, buddy?

Hmmm, does the word "sarcasm" ring a bell?

Our eyes are not enough to prove god, nor are our five senses.

Really? You don't believe in anything that is confirmed with observable and scientific evidence? I guess you don't believe the physical universe is real, in fact you probably don't even believe I exist or even this site because apparently empirical evidence isn't sufficient for belief.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:22:22 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:21:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Really? You don't believe in anything that is confirmed with observable and scientific evidence? I guess you don't believe the physical universe is real, in fact you probably don't even believe I exist or even this site because apparently empirical evidence isn't sufficient for belief.

Meaningless joke was meaningless.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:23:52 PM

If it is, then I guess reality is just an non-existent concept and we are forced to live in what we have hallucinated.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:27:24 PM

Yes it does, and in fact I would be asking you the same question if you couldn't recognize my post as a joke....

As I said before, meaningless joke was meaningless....I never thought that someone can infer that I "don't believe [that] the physical universe is real...or even this site because apparently empirical evidence isn't sufficient for belief" due to a statement that was a response to an obvious joke.

BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:28:05 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:23:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

If it is, then I guess reality is just an non-existent concept and we are forced to live in what we have hallucinated.

We could go with Descarte's argument.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:29:17 PM

That's not what he's getting at.

The point is, given your fail solipsist epistemology, how do you know this reality isn't just a 'hallucination' and yet you choose to believe the opposite is true, that the world is real.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:31:55 PM

Hallucinations are "a perception in the absence of a stimulus. In a stricter sense, hallucinations are defined as perceptions in a conscious and awake state in the absence of external stimuli which have qualities of real perception, in that they are vivid, substantial, and located in external objective space." (http://en.wikipedia.org...) In order to recognize something as a hallucination as something visual, auditory, or so on, than we are forced to draw a line between the 'real' and the 'unreal'. If all that we see is just an hallucination, than the line between the real and the unreal becomes hazy, and what is unreal becomes accepted as reality.

Does that make sense? Do you agree with this response?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:32:58 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:27:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes it does, and in fact I would be asking you the same question if you couldn't recognize my post as a joke....

As I said before, meaningless joke was meaningless....I never thought that someone can infer that I "don't believe [that] the physical universe is real...or even this site because apparently empirical evidence isn't sufficient for belief" due to a statement that was a response to an obvious joke.

LMAO

You must have a short term memory. You already responded to this post and now you're responding to it again as if it says anything different.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:34:32 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:29:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's not what he's getting at.

The point is, given your fail solipsist epistemology, how do you know this reality isn't just a 'hallucination' and yet you choose to believe the opposite is true, that the world is real.

I don't....I admit that my epistemology is poor, and that my assumptions about reality or unreality are false. Also ignore my previous statement.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:34:38 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:32:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote::
LMAO

You must have a short term memory. You already responded to this post and now you're responding to it again as if it says anything different.

You have one strange sense of humor.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:35:08 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:32:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

LMAO

I respond to the same post different times.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:38:47 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:28:05 PM, BennyW wrote:

We could go with Descarte's argument.

And I might respond with Kant's refutation...Hehehe...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:42:24 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:35:08 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/22/2011 1:32:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

LMAO

I respond to the same post different times--to get my point across.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:43:23 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:34:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
LMAO

"LMAO" isn't literal, it's rhetorical.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:45:59 PM
At 8/22/2011 1:43:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/22/2011 1:34:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
LMAO

"LMAO" isn't literal, it's rhetorical.

Of course you don't literally break out in laughter, but it still indicates that you find it humorous especially lmao as opposed to lol. That's what I was commenting on.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 5:01:33 AM

Sure is!
The Cross.. the Cross.