Jump to topic:

Question

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 5:03:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This could have easily gone in the Philosophy forum because it isn't necessarily limited to theology, but also personal philosophy and beliefs in general.

If there is a question that you cannot answer, that you just say "I don't know", does that render your belief system invalid?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 5:06:02 PM
At 8/21/2011 5:03:53 PM, innomen wrote:
This could have easily gone in the Philosophy forum because it isn't necessarily limited to theology, but also personal philosophy and beliefs in general.

If there is a question that you cannot answer, that you just say "I don't know", does that render your belief system invalid?

Absolutely not--because you can't answer a question in no way invalidates a belief.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 5:14:59 PM
It depends. If the question is founded upon a property that gives the belief its logical integrity, then if you do not know the answer, the belief is indeed invalid.

ex. I believe that Santa Claus is real and can go around the world in one night.

Question: Is it possible for a living creature to go in every home of the world in one night and drop presnets?

Answer: I don't know.

The belief is illogical, hence invalid.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 6:12:44 PM

I think the most solid belief system is one that rewards questions that involve "I don't know". For all questions involve the words "I don't know" and all questions should be embraced and rewarded by your chosen belief system. That's where answers are found and you then "know" one way or the other. If your belief system shuns questions an someone stating that they don't know, then it is definitely a weak belief system in my opinion.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 6:23:20 PM

Basically what 000ike said. If Im an anarchist but cannot name a single reason for dismantling the state, my belief is invalid. However if I cannot answer a question like how long would it take to develop an anarchist society exactly, that in no way invalidates the moral impermissibility of compulsory government.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:38:45 PM

I'm suspicious of any worldview that claims that answer will never come up.

No model/theory is entirely complete orit wouldn't be a model; it'd be the thing it was modeling.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 10:00:44 PM
It all depends on the question.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 10:55:42 PM
I'd say the opposite. Saying you don't know is the most honest answer.

In fact, most of humanities problems come from people who still think they know, when actually the don't.

If everyone had an understanding of their own epistemological limitations, belief in absurdities would dramatically decrease. This I know for sure, I think.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 10:57:55 PM

No, because there is a difference between knowledge and belief. For instance, I am an agnostic atheist. It is possible to be both because they represent two different aspects of epistemology. I don't know if God exists, but I don't believe God exists. Similarly, someone might be an agnostic theist and claim to not know if God exists, but believe She does.

Of course if we define knowledge as justified true beliefs, then it wouldn't make much sense in most cases to believe something or have a belief system based on things you cannot really know. (INB4 we can't really know anything.)
President of DDO
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 11:59:27 PM

I say no. I don't know where I stand on women pastors. That doesn't render Christianity invalid, it simply means that I haven't studied the subject enough to have formed an opinion on it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 5:15:11 AM

Origin of the universe/first cause. But then no one can answer that so if it renders my beliefs invalid it does so to everyone.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 6:41:06 AM

No, because I am in a relationship with a teacher (The Teacher in fact) and must learn 'precept upon precept'.. if anyone 'knew all' they would be God.
The Cross.. the Cross.