Jump to topic:

Evidence

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:34:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I always found it odd that the person who was, you know, in Hell... was selfless enough to try to warn other people.
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:51:06 PM
At 8/24/2011 12:34:25 PM, Rusty wrote:
I always found it odd that the person who was, you know, in Hell... was selfless enough to try to warn other people.

Luke 16:27-28?
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:11:36 PM
At 8/24/2011 3:51:06 PM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:

Yep.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:48:43 PM
At 8/24/2011 4:11:36 PM, Rusty wrote:

Yep.

Just a note: a lot (most?) of New Testament scholars don't think that that parable in Luke has anything to do with the afterlife, hell or otherwise.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:55:10 PM

Yep.

Just a note: a lot (most?) of New Testament scholars don't think that that parable in Luke has anything to do with the afterlife, hell or otherwise.:

So you speak on behalf of most scholars? Good to know.

I'm curious to know what your (i.e. most scholars) interpretations of Luke 16 is.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:04:33 PM
At 8/24/2011 4:48:43 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yep.

Just a note: a lot (most?) of New Testament scholars don't think that that parable in Luke has anything to do with the afterlife, hell or otherwise.

How could they come to that conclusion from that passage? I'm not saying it's not a parable, but even as a parable, how could one say it has nothing to do with the afterlife? I mean, doesn't the guy even request that others be warned so that they wouldn't end up at this miserable place?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:16:57 PM
At 8/24/2011 4:55:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Yep.

Just a note: a lot (most?) of New Testament scholars don't think that that parable in Luke has anything to do with the afterlife, hell or otherwise.:

So you speak on behalf of most scholars? Good to know.

Is that snark I hear? Lol.

I'm curious to know what your (i.e. most scholars) interpretations of Luke 16 is.

If you really want me to I'll post a whole bunch of commentaries, but have you noticed where Lazarus is in the parable? Hades. Hell is referred to as gehenna in the NT. Hell is happens after the final judgement. This, at best, refers to an intermediate state. At worst, it wasn't meant to teach anything about a state of existence and more about eschatalogical reversal. This kind of story was already embedded in the culture and Jesus flips the story to make a theological point. This happens all the time in the bible.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:29:19 PM
I know you were answering him (A certain someone was oddly hostile lol), but that sort of answers my question as well.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:33:47 PM
Is that snark I hear? Lol.:

Absolutely!

If you really want me to I'll post a whole bunch of commentaries, but have you noticed where Lazarus is in the parable? Hades. Hell is referred to as gehenna in the NT.:

Hades = hell = Gahenna, or did you not know that the entire New Testament was written in Greek? All three of those are synonyms in three different languages.

Hell is happens after the final judgement. This, at best, refers to an intermediate state.:

Sorry, but that's not biblical. There is no purgatory or intermediate state described in the bible. There's living and there is dead, waiting for the judgment.

At worst, it wasn't meant to teach anything about a state of existence and more about eschatalogical reversal. This kind of story was already embedded in the culture and Jesus flips the story to make a theological point. This happens all the time in the bible.:

Yes, I obviously agree that there was not literally all this dialogue going on, but the point is that you said that it was not a reference to hell when it is. The main point of the parable is that Lazarus was treated like garbage while alive but is rewarded in the hereafter, but the secondary point is that once people pass over, that's it... there is no communication with the dead.

Of course that opens up a lot more debate about ghosts, especially since Jesus personally spoke of ghosts on a few occasions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:41:15 PM
At 8/24/2011 7:33:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Yes, I obviously agree that there was not literally all this dialogue going on, but the point is that you said that it was not a reference to hell when it is.

But "hell's" not a place in which you reside... it's a Furnace in which people are Utterly Annihilated.

Or.. at least that's Really where this argument is going...

Which position's Better supported by the bible I don't know.. I just figured I'd clarify the positions since you seemed to want to know PCP's scholarly understanding.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:01:21 PM
At 8/24/2011 7:41:15 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Yes, I obviously agree that there was not literally all this dialogue going on, but the point is that you said that it was not a reference to hell when it is.

But "hell's" not a place in which you reside... it's a Furnace in which people are Utterly Annihilated.

Which position's Better supported by the bible I don't know.. I just figured I'd clarify the positions since you seemed to want to know PCP's scholarly understanding.

This has nothing to do with my view on hell. Most of these people who advocate this believe in the traditional concept of hell.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:07:12 PM
PCP, people don't like to debate intelligent Christians. Especially if they are named after a drug that causes you to go apeshit and punch holes through windshields while naked and screaming in tongues.

See, when I correct people on their biblical ignorance, very few people say anything because I don't have my religion listed as Christian. I guarantee if I did, I'd have more non-Christians telling me what a parable is supposed to mean.

Instead, I get the Christians trying to argue with me, even though I'm probably the best apologetic one could ask a heathen/heretic/devil worshiping/nazi-communist/wolfman to be.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:10:45 PM
Is that snark I hear? Lol.:

Absolutely!

I'm not sure why.

If you really want me to I'll post a whole bunch of commentaries, but have you noticed where Lazarus is in the parable? Hades. Hell is referred to as gehenna in the NT.:

Hades = hell = Gahenna, or did you not know that the entire New Testament was written in Greek?

Of course I know that. The terms mean different things. Hades =/= Gehenna =/= Tartarus.

Hell is happens after the final judgement. This, at best, refers to an intermediate state.:

Sorry, but that's not biblical. There is no purgatory or intermediate state described in the bible. There's living and there is dead, waiting for the judgment.

I never said that it was biblical (although I'm agnostic on that point). I just said at best the only conclusion you can draw from it is one of an intermediate state - not one of the hell which eternal fates are decided after the judgement.

At worst, it wasn't meant to teach anything about a state of existence and more about eschatalogical reversal. This kind of story was already embedded in the culture and Jesus flips the story to make a theological point. This happens all the time in the bible.:

No, it really isn't.

The main point of the parable is that Lazarus was treated like garbage while alive but is rewarded in the hereafter, but the secondary point is that once people pass over, that's it... there is no communication with the dead.

Of course that opens up a lot more debate about ghosts, especially since Jesus personally spoke of ghosts on a few occasions.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:13:03 PM

But "hell's" not a place in which you reside... it's a Furnace in which people are Utterly Annihilated.:

"their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." -- Revelation 21:6

Not that it really matters either way. Whether or not it's a place or a state of being, the point is that it's reference.

Which position's Better supported by the bible I don't know.. I just figured I'd clarify the positions since you seemed to want to know PCP's scholarly understanding.:

It's inconsistent, to be sure.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:14:24 PM
At 8/24/2011 8:01:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

This has nothing to do with my view on hell. Most of these people who advocate this believe in the traditional concept of hell.

oh, nevermind then.. I thought it seemed relevant.... :/

(really I just like trying to stoke fires and see where they go)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:16:23 PM
At 8/24/2011 8:07:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
PCP, people don't like to debate intelligent Christians. Especially if they are named after a drug that causes you to go apeshit and punch holes through windshields while naked and screaming in tongues.

See, when I correct people on their biblical ignorance, very few people say anything because I don't have my religion listed as Christian. I guarantee if I did, I'd have more non-Christians telling me what a parable is supposed to mean.

Instead, I get the Christians trying to argue with me, even though I'm probably the best apologetic one could ask a heathen/heretic/devil worshiping/nazi-communist/wolfman to be.

Haha, this post was great. I'd upvote/"like" this if I could. That bolded part made me literally lol.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:27:08 PM
I find it interesting that the bible uses the word hades which was invented in Greek polytheism to represent the God of the underworld and then used as a translation for the word sheol (which means grave or dwelling of the dead) in Hebrew.

I find this interesting because hades is a word from a completely different religion, yet was used to represent the unquestionable WORD OF GOD.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:27:14 PM
Hades = hell = Gahenna, or did you not know that the entire New Testament was written in Greek?

Of course I know that. The terms mean different things. Hades =/= Gehenna =/= Tartarus.:

You really need to consider the target audience. The NT is primarily written on the behalf of all of the pagan world (Greek being the language of commerce in those days). The Greeks believed in Hades, which is remarkably similar to the Jewish conception of hell. Imagine that!

So, using something they already know (Hades) to describe hell is remarkably effective.

For your edification: http://www.gutenberg.org...

Secondly, Gahenna was literally a dump in Palestine. The allusion that Jesus was trying to make to laymen about hell is that it's like Gahenna (something they knew and understood) in that it's good for nothing; to be thrown away; refuse.

So, Gahenna literally was a dump, but metaphorically it represents hell.

Make no mistake, hell/gahenna/hades are all synonymous from a theological perspective.

I never said that it was biblical (although I'm agnostic on that point). I just said at best the only conclusion you can draw from it is one of an intermediate state - not one of the hell which eternal fates are decided after the judgement.:

I don't entertain speculation and vagaries when talking about the bible. My only point is that the referenced Luke chapter and verse is 1. About hell, and 2. That there is an impassable gulf affixed that no one can cross. You seemed to dispute that, so I'm making the case.

No, it really isn't.:

Elaboration would be really awesome at this point. Then what is it in reference to?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:35:12 PM
At 8/24/2011 8:27:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Of course I know that. The terms mean different things. Hades =/= Gehenna =/= Tartarus.:

You really need to consider the target audience. The NT is primarily written on the behalf of all of the pagan world (Greek being the language of commerce in those days). The Greeks believed in Hades, which is remarkably similar to the Jewish conception of hell. Imagine that!

So, using something they already know (Hades) to describe hell is remarkably effective.

Secondly, Gahenna was literally a dump in Palestine. The allusion that Jesus was trying to make to laymen about hell is that it's like Gahenna (something they knew and understood) in that it's good for nothing; to be thrown away; refuse.

Make no mistake, hell/gahenna/hades are all synonymous from a theological perspective.

I never said that it was biblical (although I'm agnostic on that point). I just said at best the only conclusion you can draw from it is one of an intermediate state - not one of the hell which eternal fates are decided after the judgement.:

I don't entertain speculation and vagaries when talking about the bible. My only point is that the referenced Luke chapter and verse is 1. About hell, and 2. That there is an impassable gulf affixed that no one can cross. You seemed to dispute that, so I'm making the case.

No, it really isn't.:

Elaboration would be really awesome at this point. Then what is it in reference to?

Actually a more accurate representation of biblical hell would have been Tartarus, considering that hades (Hades) was a God and not a place in Greek Polytheism. That's why I find the chosen word usage in the translation interesting.

Tartarus

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:12:02 PM
At 8/24/2011 8:27:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I already know this. Sheol is nothing like hell in Christian sense, btw.

I already know this.

No. They are not.

*sigh* I have no idea why you presume to take it upon yourself to try and "school" me. I already know all of this. Hades is NOT hell as in the consequences of the final judgement.

Rev 20:14:
"Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death."

Let's go along with your theory. You say that hades = hell. Presumably you agree that lake of fire also represents hell. Are you trying tell me that HELL is thrown into HELL?!

I'm disputing that the Rich Man is in hell in the parable.

No, it really isn't.:

Eschatalogical reversal.

"Thus the message of this parable appears to be two-fold. First, the parable exemplifies the words of the Magnificat (1:52, God puts down the mighty and exalts those of low degree) and the Beatitudes (5:20, 24, the poor are declared blessed, and woe is pronounced upon the rich) (Hultgren 115). Second, the parable serves to "warn and direct the rich about the peril of neglecting the needs of the poor" (115). In effect, the purpose of this parable is to exhort all persons to obey and respect the Word of God."

http://wesley.nnu.edu...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:13:13 PM
At 8/24/2011 8:14:24 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

(really I just like trying to stoke fires and see where they go)

>:)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 5:05:36 AM
At 8/24/2011 4:48:43 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yep.

I'm sure a lot of "scholars" want take Jesus' words and twist them so that they mean something other than what they say. "A lot" of people who claim to follow Jesus want the path to fit their lifestyle rather than make their lifestyle fit His path. I wouldn't be surprised at what "a lot…of...scholars" think!
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 5:12:19 AM
By the way, did anyone actually view the videos in my OP? I didn't say anything because the videos speak for themselves; however, the comments in this thread aren't about the raising of the dead; which is what this thread is originally about. If you don't watch them all, watch the first two.