Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Thank you for being brave

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:05:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In my absence from DDO, I had mini debates with people I know here and there and it made me realize that DDO is really the only place where I can go to debate.

People are cowards. I see a post on facebook by some mutual acquaintance regarding Science and Religion, which was essentially an attack on scientists for attempting to "disprove" the Bible. Strong accusation. Didn't really explore the other side of it. So I responded.

The poster and her friends did nothing but spout carefully constructed, politically correct, annoyingly neutral and cliche responses. It makes me angry that I don't live among people who can present something with force and back it up. It makes me angry that I live among cowardly people who refuse to accept strong points and who dismiss them because it makes them uncomfortable, without trying to contest or argue. It makes me angry that these people gather into a collective and attack me back for being "accusatory" just because I decided to point out that there are a lot of Christian fundamentalists abusing science to PROVE the Bible. It makes me even angrier that these cowards do this so frequently, continuously reaffirming their ignorance, pretentiousness, and insincerity towards the more abstract issues.

Thoughts?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:15:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
We are in a higher caste, I know it is disgracefully arrogant to say it but the average member here occupies a narrow percentage of people who can actually think. Most people have not taken the time to critically examine their own beliefs, or to question any core assumptions.

I have been in so many arguments where you just realise the person you are talking just does not 'get it'. I don't mean that they simply disagree with you, but rather that they don't know how to think.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:29:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would say that in 'real life' (as opposed to an anonymous internet site) people have more of an incentive to be politically correct, mainstream and neutral. On this site people can let rip - any anarchist, atheist, animal rights activist, conspiracy theorist can argue their case with no repercussions. If one is willing to take an unorthodox viewpoint and defend it in public, one might alienate friends or family members who hold different views.

That, and, I suspect many people tend simply to be too ignorant or stupid to defend the positions they (loudly) hold, and certainly too stupid to do anything other than adopt the beliefs of their parents or friends without a modicum of critical thinking.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:31:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Kleptin I completely agree with you.

I have to dumb myself down A LOT to participate in conversations with most people. When I found myself commenting on a friend's Facebook status in defense of Michael Vick (playing devil's advocate, of course), the poster - who is a law student a lot older than I am, and supposedly very smart - simply could not wrap her head around what I was saying. Her refutation was retarded. Worst of all, because I had typed 3 small paragraphs she said she "was too lazy to read it" though she responded to the person before me who wrote something just as if not more lengthy. The one part she did respond to absolutely did not address my point at all. Even though I could have annihilated her, I chose to say "Haha I see what you mean" as a way to just leave the conversation, because otherwise, I KNOW she (and others) would have resented me greatly. She would literally not like me and probably talk sh!t about me just because we disagreed. On DDO I could not give a flying fvck about that, but IRL, I don't want to lose all of my acquaintances just because I'm smarter than them ;)

Another person who commented is also a law student a lot older than me, and I'm pretty sure I made her look silly. She was talking about how torturing animals was disgusting; I pointed out that earlier that day her Facebook status was "I love bacon," and in fact pigs are smarter than dogs, therefore it was hypocritical to talk about how torturing dogs was immoral and that her perspective was based on her subjective cultural experience. She completely ignored me. Most people do. Either they ignore me or they respond with a straw man or complete lack of understanding. I really hate DDO sometimes, but the fact is that I simply do not know of a better place to receive the type of intellectual stimulation that I need. There are a few duds here, but it's nothing in comparison to the general population...
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:32:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
As much as I want to unleash hell on Facebook, I catch a lot of flack if I do and it alienates people. Socially it's like one of those things where it's obnoxious to argue about religion and politics at a dinner party.

I reserve my scorn for in here as the entire pretense is to debate highly contentious topics.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:35:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
On here I am quite to stubbornly pursue arguments, in real life I know when to quit. I mentioned the PoE to a very intelligent friend recently, five minutes in I realised he just did not understand it to the same level I did, and in the next five minutes he would start to get defensive. So I dropped it.

I would never get into any sort of row on facebook... just leave them be.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:39:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:15:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We are in a higher caste, I know it is disgracefully arrogant to say it but the average member here occupies a narrow percentage of people who can actually think. Most people have not taken the time to critically examine their own beliefs, or to question any core assumptions.

I have been in so many arguments where you just realise the person you are talking just does not 'get it'. I don't mean that they simply disagree with you, but rather that they don't know how to think.:

Disgracefully arrogant or not, it is nonetheless true. It does not mean that we are more intelligent than our peers necessarily. I find that what afflicts the majority of population as a whole is a calloused indifference. That indifference leads to a profound ignorance. These people are content as a pig in sh*t and secure in their self-absorbed little bubble so long as nothing interrupts them directly.

Politicians prey on these people, and stratregically the swing vote represents a very large portion of the general public. They reel them with sweet nothings and platitudes.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:54:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thank goodness you're back, Kleptin, I've been desperately looking for a worthy opponent for a serious debate since you left. Shall we say either:

A – Lady Ga Ga should be called Lord Ga Ga because she is actually a he

or;

B – America will win this year's World Series baseball competition

You decide.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:59:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Haha. I agree -- I try to keep Facebook strictly as a social networking site. I don't give a sh!t about pissing people off on DDO. In fact I get off on it ;) Just kidding... maybe.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:01:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:54:05 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Thank goodness you're back, Kleptin, I've been desperately looking for a worthy opponent for a serious debate since you left. Shall we say either:

A – Lady Ga Ga should be called Lord Ga Ga because she is actually a he

or;

B – America will win this year's World Series baseball competition

Go Blue Jays!!!


You decide.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:08:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm starting to see why it would be a bad idea putting a chatroom in this website. DDO works like a sieve....a bunch of people join, but the ones that don't really come to debate get bored and leave, leaving behind only intellectuals. There is no such strain in life. Everyone has an opinion, but the majority of people don't have sufficient reason behind their opinion and cannot handle a conflicting opinion.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:13:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 10:08:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
I'm starting to see why it would be a bad idea putting a chatroom in this website. DDO works like a sieve....a bunch of people join, but the ones that don't really come to debate get bored and leave, leaving behind only intellectuals.

Isn't Izbo still here?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:16:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 10:13:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:08:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
I'm starting to see why it would be a bad idea putting a chatroom in this website. DDO works like a sieve....a bunch of people join, but the ones that don't really come to debate get bored and leave, leaving behind only intellectuals.

Isn't Izbo still here?

And inferno.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:17:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:05:40 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In my absence from DDO, I had mini debates with people I know here and there and it made me realize that DDO is really the only place where I can go to debate.

People are cowards. I see a post on facebook by some mutual acquaintance regarding Science and Religion, which was essentially an attack on scientists for attempting to "disprove" the Bible. Strong accusation. Didn't really explore the other side of it. So I responded.

The poster and her friends did nothing but spout carefully constructed, politically correct, annoyingly neutral and cliche responses. It makes me angry that I don't live among people who can present something with force and back it up. It makes me angry that I live among cowardly people who refuse to accept strong points and who dismiss them because it makes them uncomfortable, without trying to contest or argue. It makes me angry that these people gather into a collective and attack me back for being "accusatory" just because I decided to point out that there are a lot of Christian fundamentalists abusing science to PROVE the Bible. It makes me even angrier that these cowards do this so frequently, continuously reaffirming their ignorance, pretentiousness, and insincerity towards the more abstract issues.

Thoughts?

That about sums it up for me.

When I argue about anything which goes contrary to what they say, I get accused of being contrary just for the sake of being contrary, having made up my mind beforehand and not willing to listen, not agreeing to disagree and my "favorite".

What are you expecting by arguing about it? What good is it going to do? Just do your bit, and don't worry about all the details.

I literally could not say anything after this, and after all, they ARE my friends and I don't want to lose them.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:20:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Even starting a debate IRL is socially iffy. No one wants to be seen as the argumentative contrarian because that person probably doesn't have many friends.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:23:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 10:13:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:08:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
I'm starting to see why it would be a bad idea putting a chatroom in this website. DDO works like a sieve....a bunch of people join, but the ones that don't really come to debate get bored and leave, leaving behind only intellectuals.

Isn't Izbo still here?

True, but at least he's an intellectual troll. I'm thinking more of the morons that curse people out for disagreeing with them on youtube.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:34:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 10:16:45 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:13:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:08:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
I'm starting to see why it would be a bad idea putting a chatroom in this website. DDO works like a sieve....a bunch of people join, but the ones that don't really come to debate get bored and leave, leaving behind only intellectuals.

Isn't Izbo still here?

And inferno.

no sieve is perfect. but compare our troll problem (3) to other forums.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:00:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:39:18 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/26/2011 9:15:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We are in a higher caste, I know it is disgracefully arrogant to say it but the average member here occupies a narrow percentage of people who can actually think. Most people have not taken the time to critically examine their own beliefs, or to question any core assumptions.

I have been in so many arguments where you just realise the person you are talking just does not 'get it'. I don't mean that they simply disagree with you, but rather that they don't know how to think.:

Disgracefully arrogant or not, it is nonetheless true. It does not mean that we are more intelligent than our peers necessarily. I find that what afflicts the majority of population as a whole is a calloused indifference. That indifference leads to a profound ignorance. These people are content as a pig in sh*t and secure in their self-absorbed little bubble so long as nothing interrupts them directly.

Politicians prey on these people, and stratregically the swing vote represents a very large portion of the general public. They reel them with sweet nothings and platitudes.

I could name a few of my peers that are easily less intelligent than everyone else on this site.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:12:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 10:20:33 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Even starting a debate IRL is socially iffy. No one wants to be seen as the argumentative contrarian because that person probably doesn't have many friends.

I argue with my friends all the time. Especially when they're dead wrong. I still have plenty of friends and they all like me.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:16:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can understand not wanting to argue face to face, but you could always create a fake Facebook account to thrash them with. Then it doesn't matter if people don't like the fake you. Also, if I ever make a face book I'll tell you and you can feel free to argue with me all you want.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:39:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:31:45 AM, Danielle wrote:
Kleptin I completely agree with you.

I have to dumb myself down A LOT to participate in conversations with most people. When I found myself commenting on a friend's Facebook status in defense of Michael Vick (playing devil's advocate, of course), the poster - who is a law student a lot older than I am, and supposedly very smart - simply could not wrap her head around what I was saying. Her refutation was retarded. Worst of all, because I had typed 3 small paragraphs she said she "was too lazy to read it" though she responded to the person before me who wrote something just as if not more lengthy. The one part she did respond to absolutely did not address my point at all. Even though I could have annihilated her, I chose to say "Haha I see what you mean" as a way to just leave the conversation, because otherwise, I KNOW she (and others) would have resented me greatly. She would literally not like me and probably talk sh!t about me just because we disagreed. On DDO I could not give a flying fvck about that, but IRL, I don't want to lose all of my acquaintances just because I'm smarter than them ;)

Another person who commented is also a law student a lot older than me, and I'm pretty sure I made her look silly. She was talking about how torturing animals was disgusting; I pointed out that earlier that day her Facebook status was "I love bacon," and in fact pigs are smarter than dogs, therefore it was hypocritical to talk about how torturing dogs was immoral and that her perspective was based on her subjective cultural experience. She completely ignored me. Most people do. Either they ignore me or they respond with a straw man or complete lack of understanding. I really hate DDO sometimes, but the fact is that I simply do not know of a better place to receive the type of intellectual stimulation that I need. There are a few duds here, but it's nothing in comparison to the general population...

I'm not sure people who are law students are all that great. Two years ago (when I was in 8th grade) my academic social studies did a mock trial of the trial of John Brown. After I got some leaked info from the other side (not all that bright on their part) I went online for 5 minutes. The next day I went in and turned the crushing defeat from the first day into a crushing win. I destroyed witness after witness on their side. The information could have allowed every single class that did the debate to win. I gave the info to my friend who was a lawyer on the same side in a different class, and he gave it to the opposite side. Needless to say he lost. Sorry for rambling, but I wanted to get that out there. Anyway, I had called my cousin (a judge) the night before to ask if she had any advice. She got back to me after the debate was over and I had won. I told her what had happened and she said I had done better than some of the lawyers she had seen. Now I don't know if she said that because I'm a relative or not. Assuming she didn't say that because I'm a relative, then I'm kinda thinking that being a lawyer isn't as much as it's cracked out to be. Also, you certainly don't need to go to law school to beat one if it is true. I mean if I did better than lawyers that my cousin's dealt with, and you were that much of a match for two lawyers Danielle (I'm assuming that you didn't go to law school), and my dad crushed a lawyer in court (he was a witness for car accident, he never went to law school), then I'm starting to think lawyers aren't so great as they're said to be. I know I rambled a lot. Sorry.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:57:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 11:39:11 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
I'm not sure people who are law students are all that great. Two years ago (when I was in 8th grade) my academic social studies did a mock trial of the trial of John Brown. After I got some leaked info from the other side (not all that bright on their part) I went online for 5 minutes. The next day I went in and turned the crushing defeat from the first day into a crushing win. I destroyed witness after witness on their side. The information could have allowed every single class that did the debate to win. I gave the info to my friend who was a lawyer on the same side in a different class, and he gave it to the opposite side. Needless to say he lost. Sorry for rambling, but I wanted to get that out there. Anyway, I had called my cousin (a judge) the night before to ask if she had any advice. She got back to me after the debate was over and I had won. I told her what had happened and she said I had done better than some of the lawyers she had seen. Now I don't know if she said that because I'm a relative or not. Assuming she didn't say that because I'm a relative, then I'm kinda thinking that being a lawyer isn't as much as it's cracked out to be. Also, you certainly don't need to go to law school to beat one if it is true. I mean if I did better than lawyers that my cousin's dealt with, and you were that much of a match for two lawyers Danielle (I'm assuming that you didn't go to law school), and my dad crushed a lawyer in court (he was a witness for car accident, he never went to law school), then I'm starting to think lawyers aren't so great as they're said to be. I know I rambled a lot. Sorry.

I, who plans on being a lawyer, feel a great need to correct this :p . Not all lawyers are great, like every other profession. Not all doctors are great and not all teachers are great. You will ALWAYS find people in every profession that simply put, suck at their job. This is not to say that they speak for the profession. In fact, if I put a band-aid correctly on a small cut, I'd probably be more skilled at it than a handfull of doctors, who would prescribe boat loads of medicine for that small cut. (exaggeration, but you get my point).

You haven't seen skilled lawyers yet. They are not people you want to argue with.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 12:12:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
this site is full of itself, I have seen more of a special kind of stupid since coming here then i hoped could still exist in civilized society.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 12:18:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 12:12:06 PM, izbo10 wrote:
this site is full of itself, I have seen more of a special kind of stupid since coming here then i hoped could still exist in civilized society.

Then why don't you do us both a favor and leave?...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 12:33:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 9:05:40 AM, Kleptin wrote:
In my absence from DDO, I had mini debates with people I know here and there and it made me realize that DDO is really the only place where I can go to debate.

People are cowards. I see a post on facebook by some mutual acquaintance regarding Science and Religion, which was essentially an attack on scientists for attempting to "disprove" the Bible. Strong accusation. Didn't really explore the other side of it. So I responded.

The poster and her friends did nothing but spout carefully constructed, politically correct, annoyingly neutral and cliche responses. It makes me angry that I don't live among people who can present something with force and back it up. It makes me angry that I live among cowardly people who refuse to accept strong points and who dismiss them because it makes them uncomfortable, without trying to contest or argue. It makes me angry that these people gather into a collective and attack me back for being "accusatory" just because I decided to point out that there are a lot of Christian fundamentalists abusing science to PROVE the Bible. It makes me even angrier that these cowards do this so frequently, continuously reaffirming their ignorance, pretentiousness, and insincerity towards the more abstract issues.

Thoughts?

Usually, I'm not angry when such things happen to me. I can't pointedly tell you why, chiefly because I haven't given much thought to this subject. I can, however, tell you that I usually feel pity for them since no fully healthy and well developed human do this. I too have my flaws which have done much harm, but they're nowhere as obvious or big as the one that you just described.

Anyhow, that's my two cents for ya.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 12:35:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 12:12:06 PM, izbo10 wrote:
this site is full of itself, I have seen more of a special kind of stupid since coming here then i hoped could still exist in civilized society.

I don't know, what color was it?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 12:41:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There is a time for debate, and then there is a time to smile real big and stay quiet.

It is a waste of time, and contrary to your best interests to debate with some people.

Then, publicly debating someone on facebook is considered to be improper etiquette.

I had to learn this stuff, trust me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 2:28:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 12:41:06 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
There is a time for debate, and then there is a time to smile real big and stay quiet.

It is a waste of time, and contrary to your best interests to debate with some people.


I have to agree with this. DDO has not helped my sales technique much, but rather has made me more combative, and that's the opposite of persuading. I also need to slow down my patience with most people, and i get what Danielle means, because we don't have to be patient with each other here, in fact we demand a quick and effective response, and in real life that just doesn't happen.

I have a friend who tries to come off as a lefty intellectual, and when we begin discussing stuff she just gets flustered. At one point she said to me "Dennis you just think you're right because you have facts, and you try to make me look wrong because you have all those facts, all i know is I AM RIGHT, AND I KNOW THAT I AM RIGHT". The thing is, i was soft spoken (always the best tactic, do not lose your temper or increase the volume of your tone) and she was getting a little nutty, and two friends were there just looking at her with their mouths open.

I think it's a good thing to be called on my BS, i don't particularly enjoy it, but it's good for me - but in real life no one want's their BS to be challenged; it's sort of like a tacit social agreement that we ignore each other's BS - but not here ;-).
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:37:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is where I go to vent and intellectually discuss any topic I might have on my mind. To do this in real life would be to create and entertain unneeded opposition and arguments between me and my friends. If they initiate it and hols a strong position, I will play it safe and match there energy. If I really want to discuss or argue about something, I have all of you, my DDO friends. We all might bitch, moan, and complain towards each other sometimes... But in the end, you are the people who hear my true thoughts and feelings about many topics.

I might anger you, you might anger me, but I love it either way. It gives me what I can't get in real life.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:36:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 11:57:01 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 11:39:11 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
I'm not sure people who are law students are all that great. Two years ago (when I was in 8th grade) my academic social studies did a mock trial of the trial of John Brown. After I got some leaked info from the other side (not all that bright on their part) I went online for 5 minutes. The next day I went in and turned the crushing defeat from the first day into a crushing win. I destroyed witness after witness on their side. The information could have allowed every single class that did the debate to win. I gave the info to my friend who was a lawyer on the same side in a different class, and he gave it to the opposite side. Needless to say he lost. Sorry for rambling, but I wanted to get that out there. Anyway, I had called my cousin (a judge) the night before to ask if she had any advice. She got back to me after the debate was over and I had won. I told her what had happened and she said I had done better than some of the lawyers she had seen. Now I don't know if she said that because I'm a relative or not. Assuming she didn't say that because I'm a relative, then I'm kinda thinking that being a lawyer isn't as much as it's cracked out to be. Also, you certainly don't need to go to law school to beat one if it is true. I mean if I did better than lawyers that my cousin's dealt with, and you were that much of a match for two lawyers Danielle (I'm assuming that you didn't go to law school), and my dad crushed a lawyer in court (he was a witness for car accident, he never went to law school), then I'm starting to think lawyers aren't so great as they're said to be. I know I rambled a lot. Sorry.


I, who plans on being a lawyer, feel a great need to correct this :p . Not all lawyers are great, like every other profession. Not all doctors are great and not all teachers are great. You will ALWAYS find people in every profession that simply put, suck at their job. This is not to say that they speak for the profession. In fact, if I put a band-aid correctly on a small cut, I'd probably be more skilled at it than a handfull of doctors, who would prescribe boat loads of medicine for that small cut. (exaggeration, but you get my point).

You haven't seen skilled lawyers yet. They are not people you want to argue with.

I know, and perhaps I should have mentioned that, but it does seem that there are more crappy lawyers than I thought out there. BTW, I would plan on being a lawyer except for the over-saturation of the profession. At least the last I heard was that it's over-saturated. GL.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena