Jump to topic:

Christian belief regarding Jesus.

jd6089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:28:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do all Christians believe in Jesus as the son of god and the messiah.
These are 2 aspects that I have trouble believing.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:42:05 AM
At 8/29/2011 7:28:29 AM, jd6089 wrote:

A majority do, there are some who differ, the funny thing is most are completely unaware that at the birth of Christianity there were many competing views on this. I don't think many, if any disagree that he was the messiah, its really the son of god part that still has some disagreeing.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
jd6089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 8:01:45 AM
At 8/29/2011 7:42:05 AM, izbo10 wrote:

A majority do, there are some who differ, the funny thing is most are completely unaware that at the birth of Christianity there were many competing views on this. I don't think many, if any disagree that he was the messiah, its really the son of god part that still has some disagreeing.

Thank you for your response.
I have heard that there is a Christian denomination that rejects the new testament entirely. and holds of Jesus as only "a great teacher". I am wondering if any one knows of such a denomination as at the present it seems to me to be the only plausible, Christian option.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 8:04:43 AM
At 8/29/2011 8:01:45 AM, jd6089 wrote:

I have heard that there is a Christian denomination that rejects the new testament entirely. and holds of Jesus as only "a great teacher". I am wondering if any one knows of such a denomination as at the present it seems to me to be the only plausible, Christian option.

yes they do exist, not sure on the current name of the denomination, don't let any christian tell you that this view is new, it dates back to at least the 2nd century, almost certainly right back to the first century as well.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
jd6089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 8:22:10 AM
At 8/29/2011 8:04:43 AM, izbo10 wrote:

yes they do exist, not sure on the current name of the denomination, don't let any Christian tell you that this view is new, it dates back to at least the 2nd century, almost certainly right back to the first century as well.

wow. thanx for the info. If anyone has more, I am most fascinated by what I see as a possible rational Christian approach.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 9:44:42 AM
At 8/29/2011 8:22:10 AM, jd6089 wrote:
At 8/29/2011 8:04:43 AM, izbo10 wrote:

yes they do exist, not sure on the current name of the denomination, don't let any Christian tell you that this view is new, it dates back to at least the 2nd century, almost certainly right back to the first century as well.

wow. thanx for the info. If anyone has more, I am most fascinated by what I see as a possible rational Christian approach.

Its probably most similar to a Gnostic christian view. Go look up the Jefferson Bible, for a view of one of the more rational christian approaches to the bible.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 9:49:16 AM

Yes, it is surprising how few christians know that the divnity of Jesus was actually voted upon, and that the church fathers who voted against it, were excommunicated and expelled from the church.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 1:40:34 PM
At 8/29/2011 9:49:16 AM, tkubok wrote:

Yes, it is surprising how few christians know that the divnity of Jesus was actually voted upon, and that the church fathers who voted against it, were excommunicated and expelled from the church.

another thing is its interesting, in Mark, Matthew, and Luke Jesus does not refer to himself as god, its not until 60-70 years into christian history does this happen, when John is written.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 1:46:16 PM

It was more the nature of that divinity was at issue, by then his divinity was I believe firmly established, I may be wrong though.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 1:49:44 PM
At 8/30/2011 1:40:34 PM, izbo10 wrote:

another thing is its interesting, in Mark, Matthew, and Luke Jesus does not refer to himself as god, its not until 60-70 years into christian history does this happen, when John is written.

But even when its not written, there are still plenty of christians who "Interpret" certain passages as a reference that Jesus is calling himself God. I really hate when christians use the "No, youre taking it out of context" or "It needs to be read in the presence of the Holy spirit" cr@p.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 3:55:26 PM

There is actually very strong evidence in the Bible itself that he was neither. In a nutshell, everything "divine" or messianic about Jesus can be explained as plagiarism of the Old Testament, incorrect interpretation of the Old Testament, or simply false reporting of historical events.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 4:22:09 PM
At 8/30/2011 3:55:26 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

There is actually very strong evidence in the Bible itself that he was neither. In a nutshell, everything "divine" or messianic about Jesus can be explained as plagiarism of the Old Testament, incorrect interpretation of the Old Testament, or simply false reporting of historical events.

The true historical Jesus was born in Nazareth, he failed to perform miracles there in front of the Pharisees. He preached a coming apocolypse and was most likely a Jew who followed the Law of the Torah. He was put to death by Crucifixtion. Not really the same as the one the Christians follow.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:19:53 AM

You are ONLY a Christian IF you believe He IS the Only Begotten Son of God, The Messiah!

All cults (mormons, jehovahs witnesses, christian scientists etc) are in error on this exact point; Christ's divinty.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 5:21:41 AM

Care to debate this?
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 8:26:28 AM
At 8/31/2011 5:21:41 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

strange, maybe you didn't get my point, but you already demonstrated it, your go too quotes were John.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 4:09:19 AM
At 8/31/2011 8:26:28 AM, izbo10 wrote:

Care to debate this?

strange, maybe you didn't get my point, but you already demonstrated it, your go too quotes were John.

Care to debate when John was written?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 4:37:38 AM
At 9/2/2011 4:09:19 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

You are very keen to demand debates... not so keen on actually having them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 4:39:00 AM
At 9/2/2011 4:37:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Care to debate this?

Care to debate that?
The Cross.. the Cross.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 6:31:59 AM

Care to debate that?:

DAT, you always squawk and bluster about having debates and then never have them. Put up or shut up, and take your beating like a man.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:08:45 AM
At 9/2/2011 4:39:00 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/2/2011 4:37:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Care to debate this?

Care to debate that?

It is self-evident fact, I've been waiting a year to debate with you.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:34:28 AM

Care to debate this?

Because, UNLESS you can prove that John was in fact written 70 yrs after the fact THEN the rest of your statement doesn't hold up does it?
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 4:59:58 PM
At 9/5/2011 8:34:28 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

Because, UNLESS you can prove that John was in fact written 70 yrs after the fact THEN the rest of your statement doesn't hold up does it?

Maybe you should go do some research, Im not doing it for you, this is not disputed.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:14:05 AM
At 9/5/2011 4:59:58 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Care to debate this?

Maybe you should go do some research, Im not doing it for you, this is not disputed.

Then it should be an EASY win for you, no?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:15:50 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:14:05 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

He has a point Izbo, you are meant to back up your statements. Don't me wrong I am inclined to agree with you on this but when challenged you rise to it.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:20:08 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:15:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Care to debate this?

He has a point Izbo, you are meant to back up your statements. Don't me wrong I am inclined to agree with you on this but when challenged you rise to it.

I'll be holding you to this!
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:22:47 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:20:35 AM, el-badgero wrote:
would you reckon Jesus would've been a bit of a ladies man party dude DATCMOTO? like would he have fvcked his fair share of hot little things and drank 100 times his weight do you think? I could follow a dude like that...

*reported*
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:24:47 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:20:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

No you won't be, that is why I despise you.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:26:11 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:24:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:20:08 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to debate this?

No you won't be, that is why I despise you.

THAT is why I have power over you and you do not over not me; LOVE your enemies!
The Cross.. the Cross.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:38:36 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:22:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
would you reckon Jesus would've been a bit of a ladies man party dude DATCMOTO? like would he have fvcked his fair share of hot little things and drank 100 times his weight do you think? I could follow a dude like that...

*reported*

for what?! I was just enquiring as to what sort of lifestyle he might condone... so I can't go around having a lot of sex and drinking and still go to heaven?

even if it's good sex and I'm bringing people pleasure?
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:43:02 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:38:36 AM, el-badgero wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:22:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

*reported*

for what?! I was just enquiring as to what sort of lifestyle he might condone... so I can't go around having a lot of sex and drinking and still go to heaven?

even if it's good sex and I'm bringing people pleasure?

it's just I always took that love thy neighbour as thy love yourself bit to mean have sex...you know, instead of like wanking alone to the Bible...?
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!