Jump to topic:

out of context but...

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 2:19:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Deut: 20 16But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

18That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.

ok if i were to post this to christians they will immediately start screaming out of context, but can you tell me the actual context it was written under? ( I can, want to know if you can)
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:26:52 PM
At 9/2/2011 11:24:42 PM, medic0506 wrote:

nope the context is not real bull poop like any of your comments.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 11:27:40 PM
At 9/2/2011 11:26:52 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/2/2011 11:24:42 PM, medic0506 wrote:
nope the context is not real bull poop like any of your comments.

The same comment is more appropriate when referencing to Izbo10's comments, not Medic's.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:00:11 AM
At 9/2/2011 2:19:24 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Deut: 20 16But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

18That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.

ok if i were to post this to christians they will immediately start screaming out of context, but can you tell me the actual context it was written under? ( I can, want to know if you can)

The context is for Jews and for that time.

For Christians the context is a shadow of a spiritual truth; to take the 'land' by force:

Matthew 11:12
From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 6:45:13 AM
At 9/3/2011 5:00:11 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

For Christians the context is a shadow of a spiritual truth; to take the 'land' by force:

From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.

The actual context comes in that, Yahweh supporters were moving towards a view where Yahweh should be the only god worshiped. This was going on during the reign of Josiah, so this was presented for the Yahwehist to kill off supporters of other gods. It wasn't so much that the other gods did not exist, as they believed many of them did, but the political nature of this time lead it to be necessary to push against anything foreign including these gods.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:49:44 AM
At 9/3/2011 6:45:13 AM, izbo10 wrote:

The actual context comes in that, Yahweh supporters were moving towards a view where Yahweh should be the only god worshiped. This was going on during the reign of Josiah, so this was presented for the Yahwehist to kill off supporters of other gods. It wasn't so much that the other gods did not exist, as they believed many of them did, but the political nature of this time lead it to be necessary to push against anything foreign including these gods.

The ACTUAL (real, objective, eternal) context you mean?

The real objective eternal that you don't believe in you mean?

And where did you read this highly subjective view?
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 9:36:22 AM
At 9/5/2011 8:49:44 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

It is from The Evolution of God by Robert Wright.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Because we all know Ivy League professors are such terrible sources.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 5:18:13 AM
At 9/5/2011 9:36:22 AM, izbo10 wrote:

They absolutely ARE terrible sources; you don't get good jobs in this day and age if you're a believer.

and you certainly don't get revelation.

For a moment there I was afraid you were going to quote a Rabbi!
The Cross.. the Cross.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 7:37:47 AM
At 9/7/2011 5:18:13 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

They absolutely ARE terrible sources; you don't get good jobs in this day and age if you're a believer.

you don't get jobs because believing in a zombie says something about how smart you are.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:05:54 AM
At 9/7/2011 7:37:47 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 9/7/2011 5:18:13 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

you don't get jobs because believing in a zombie says something about how smart you are.

No, you are the zombie because you are not born again, you are spiritually dead and only by coming into contact with Christ can you live:

John 14:19
Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.

John 3:3
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "

Your Zombie obbsession is showing Tarzan!

Luke 12:1
Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: "Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

What is hypocrisy? acting! and what is hiding behind puppet accounts? acting!
The Cross.. the Cross.